Episode 362

P.S. Is she the model for the woman effigy on his horse?

Could be, but I personally noticed the woman on the necklace she's wearing, she looks like a fairy or butterfly version of the woman SK has on his horse.
Her's has Butterfly wings and antennas, while SK's has something like bat wings.
It's nothing too interesting, but I think they are similar enough. Their hair and pose is also very similar.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Episodes like that really make it feel like we're getting closer and closer to the finale. :daiba:

Episodes like this don't make me want for Berserk to end too quickly...

Could be, but I personally noticed the woman on the necklace she's wearing, she looks like a fairy or butterfly version of the woman SK has on his horse.

I've noticed that as well, although if anything I think the amulet looks more like Danan. It could all be related though. Maybe both Gaiseric and the queen received similarly themed gifts for example...

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Wow guys!! The word "incredible" doesn't do justice to what I just experienced.

The old God Hand members... that reveal was truly insane. Miura did a great job of making these characters feel similar to their newer counterparts, without taking away from their individual designs. The one on the left with the beard looks especially unique to me. Not very Cenobite-y, is he?

Given the situation, and supposing that they were all indeed elevated to their new positions at the same time, I wonder if they knew each other? Were they all nobles? Or just seemingly unrelated individuals who were brought together by the ceremony? I wonder if we'll learn more!

PS: I love VaginaFace and the ribbed condom lady. Miura hasn't lost his touch. :slan:

P.S. Is she the model for the woman effigy on his horse?
I think so, and the wings look like a reference to her elf amulet.

Speaking of that lady in the flashback, her accessories seem to tie her to Danan - was she a witch? I wonder if she would have helped Gaiseric with his armor in a similar way to how Schierke helped Guts? And with her death, Gaiseric is obviously not able to take advantage of her skills, leading to his death and down the path to becoming the Skull Knight.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
For me a very interesting part of this episode are those apostle looking creatures. They seem to spawn out of the tentacles depicted in the dimension, almost reminds me a little bit of the Sea God.

I forgot to mention those guys! I wasn't sure what to make of those creatures when I first saw them, because while there is some variation in their design, they seem too uniform-looking to be apostles to me. They all seem very hairy. When depicting apostles in large groups, Miura always goes to great trouble to depict the variations in their designs. The fact that they're spilling out from between the tentacles suggests to me that they're beasts spilling out of some kind of rift being created by the ceremony.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The old God Hand members... that reveal was truly insane. Miura did a great job of making these characters feel similar to their newer counterparts, without taking away from their individual designs. The one on the left with the beard looks especially unique to me. Not very Cenobite-y, is he?

My favorite has got to be the second from the left with his empty face, I just love it! :ubik: The woman at the far right (multi-boobs) is also quite cool, I dig her design. Of note is that the second one from the right also seems to be a woman (yay gender parity!), although it's hard to tell given that.. very... unique design. Not someone I'd like to be in a room with.

Given the situation, and supposing that they were all indeed elevated to their new positions at the same time, I wonder if they knew each other?

If we go by that scenario, I think they were all members of Void's faction, whatever that faction was. Not strangers to each other but a crew with a goal.

Speaking of that lady in the flashback, her accessories seem to tie her to Danan - was she a witch? I wonder if she would have helped Gaiseric with his armor in a similar way to how Schierke helped Guts? And with her death, Gaiseric is obviously not able to take advantage of her skills, leading to his death and down the path to becoming the Skull Knight.

Well I mean, I think we know who helped Gaiseric with his armor: a witch by the name of Flora! I'd say this was someone else, and surely was his lover. But who and what was she... Good question. A witch? An elf? Both? Related to Danan? I even wondered if Danan might not be her and Gaiseric's daughter, but that seems far-fetched...

So from the last few pages we can tell that Skull Knight died inside the Berserker armour shortly after the girl with the brand on her soulder died in his arm.

I wonder now how they managed to save his soul.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
For me a very interesting part of this episode are those apostle looking creatures. They seem to spawn out of the tentacles depicted in the dimension, almost reminds me a little bit of the Sea God.
I wasn't sure what to make of those creatures when I first saw them, because while there is some variation in their design, they seem too uniform-looking to be apostles to me. They all seem very hairy. When depicting apostles in large groups, he always goes to great trouble to depict the variations in their designs. The fact that they're spilling out from between the tentacles suggests to me that they're beasts spilling out of some kind of rift being created by the ceremony.

Yeah, I mentioned them in my big post on the previous page. I had the same reaction. They definitely look like apostles, but at the same time have a slightly different quality to them. And they do seem to spawn out from the tentacles, from what looked like mouths at first to me, but on the first two-page spread of the ceremony we see "things" in the dark underneath said tentacles, and I'm not sure whether that's the proto-apostle creatures or something else. So at this point I think it's still unclear, and the mystery is compounded by the question of whether beherits already existed or not at the time.

So from the last few pages we can tell that Skull Knight died inside the Berserker armour shortly after the girl with the brand on her soulder died in his arm.

I wonder now how they managed to save his soul.

By encasing his soul in his current armor.

Ooooh really neat observation Grail!
Just purchased the digital edition of this week's Young Animal, amazing episode.
The revelation of the old God Hand was so cool, and as others have pointed out, it looks like at least two of the old group were women. The Yonic face one was especially striking. Really interested to see if the lady in the memory is somehow related to Danan or not.

I wish I could take the time to type out a more thoughtful response, but I'm at work right now :judo: What I will say is that those old God Hand members have some awesome designs. I particularly love the one on voids left with the vagina face.

Hi everyone, new here!
Been a long time reader of this fantastic website (fore more than 15 years!) but only recently did I signed in.
Glad to enjoy this important episode with you!
Like many of you, even though this episode was short I found it very powerful. Miura is very good at giving powerful and striking "shots" that say a lot.
To me it seemed at first like it was only Void's advent, like the Femto one we witnessed with our hero Guts. But now I start doubting reading what you said above.
I have been imagining and feeling for a long time, that SK might had a tragic story with a lady from his kingdom because of some decorations on his horse and emblem on the shield. Hope we will learn more about it!
We can also see the half moon emblem from Gaiseric armor in Volume 10 in the necklace she wears. Seems logic as it's maybe his Empire's emblem.

Now, a question : Do you think Miura drew on his draft book more about Gaiseric, and especially his face? And subsequently, do you think we will ever get to see it?

Maybe not. I think if we were to get some extended exposition in some sort of flashback, hopefully next ep, he might darken his face like he did with Ganishka's court. Who knows, definitely excited for what's to come

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
BEST. EPISODE. EVER!

Some thoughts from chat with Wally: Is this two memories, or moments? It looks like a sacrifice AND incarnation. Everything screams sacrifice, but the burning brand was a signature of the incarnation and would make sense with the destruction of his city. But again, I'm only extrapolating from what I've previously known, no reason it has to be exclusive though.

Other thoughts: Who branded the woman? First thought was Skully, but then he needs to turn, be reborn, die? Too complicated. So, absent another figure, did Void know and brand her? Was he from the beginning, before those other God Hand, or like Femto the young buck here?

I just got done talking on the phone with my friend Hoh Lee Schitt just so I could say "HOLY SHIT, HOH LEE SCHITT!" What a reveal! What a fucking game-changer! Another God Hand! A previous God Hand! This one's arguably freakier than the current one. Especially that second one from the right. All the members we've seen at least have some remnant of humanity in their form, but this one? Just a single pair of lips that strays the line between oral and vaginal. What kind of inhuman mind did that one have to be given such a disgusting, twisted form?

And now we've finally gotten confirmation of something we've always suspected for years. Granted, we didn't have anything else to go on concerning Skull Knight's identity, but I was always suspecting that maybe the clues were red herrings and that the Skull Knight was someone other than Gaiseric. Still, it's nice to have something solid on him now, and that we're finally delving into his backstory. And not just him, but Void's as well!

My first thought when seeing the old God Hand was, "They can be killed." What awesome designs on those guys, though. Seriously.
How can you be sure? Maybe they're just hiding. :troll:

Speaking seriously, though, it is nevertheless a comforting thought that they may not be so invincible after all, and that they can be beaten. Though the fact that Void is still around after 1000 years would indicate that he's definitely a wily bastard who's been consisting outplaying Skull Knight that entire time as he slowly assembles the new God Hand. Which in a way might make him even more formidable.

Then again, for all we know, maybe it was Void who killed his previous comrades...AHHHH, I gotta stop over-speculating here.

Considering that Skull Knight and Flora have already been drawn in parallel to Guts and Schierke, I kinda doubt it. She might very well have been a magic user too, but I think if anyone was around to assist the future Skull Knight with his accursed armor, it would have been Flora.

Now, a question : Do you think Miura drew on his draft book more about Gaiseric, and especially his face? And subsequently, do you think we will ever get to see it?

All I know is my gut says "maybe." Miura has certainly been hiding Gaiseric's face, but unless there's something actually revealing about what he truly looks like under his helmet (because it resemble someone or something we've seen before, for instance), I don't think we'll ever really see it. Unless we're treated to a more detailed flashback that would call for us to see him from a more humanized perspective, like him talking to his friends, dealing with political issues, or interacting with this possible lover of his, I think he'll always remain an enigma to us. The mystery makes him that much more legendary and larger than life.

So a lot has already been said so I'll try not to repeat too much.

A few things really stood out to me and there are some major questions and character developments implied here.

First off, the setting is brand new. Probably like the field of faces, so just an environment, but wow! It even subtliy forms a ceiling making it a hallway of individually unique tentacles. It's always been odd how the 'evil' associated with the God hand always produces unique creatures.

The Proto-Apostles do seem to be apostles. The eyes, the uniqueness of each, especially in the close-ups. But they all have long shaggy hair. Could they be a different type of apostle, something more ancient like from neanderthals? Could the IoE have been mettling in human affairs for a very long time?

The New God Hand are awesome. Aaz has some cool speculation on what happened to the rest of them.

And lastly, the woman looks similar to Danan and even has the head piece. Lots of Elven imagery on her jewelry. But she's branded. And apparently dead. So it doesn't make sense to be Danan. Instead, might Dannan be the offspring of Gaiseric and this (I assume) elf woman? If so, SK has new motivations in protecting Elfhelm. It's not just a useful ally against the God Hand. It's the kingdom of his daughter! Not only that, but she would then be the rightful heir to Midland as well...

Lastly, what does this mean for the wise man up in the Tower at St. Albion? Did the Godhand descend to him there, only to allow a sacrifice many miles away at the Tower of Rebirth? Were these separate events? Was there some type of Ubik window to the city to sacrifice it from afar? Fast travel with the World Tree? We at least now know who the 4 to 5 angels were at the Tower of Rebirth. It was the Godhand. going from 4 to 5 members.

Lots of speculation here so take it with a grain of salt.

Miura is a hell of a writer and artist. Did not see it going like this.

Last edited:
I honestly think the designs for the old God Hand are cooler than the current ones. Although it is weird that none of the old ones resemble humans like the newer ones do. I doubt there's any reason or significance to that, though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone, new here!
Been a long time reader of this fantastic website (fore more than 15 years!) but only recently did I signed in.
Glad to enjoy this important episode with you!

Hi Kadmos, glad you're joining us!

To me it seemed at first like it was only Void's advent, like the Femto one we witnessed with our hero Guts. But now I start doubting reading what you said above.

If by advent you mean rebirth, then I do think that scene with the tentacles and the Vortex of Souls as a backdrop is from a rebirth ceremony (I'm not saying Occultation because it's not clear anything's been occulted). I guess a possibility, if it's not Void's, is that it's those other four people's... That's very speculative however.

We'll probably see what he looked like at some point, yes.

Although it is weird that none of the old ones resemble humans like the newer ones do. I doubt there's any reason or significance to that, though.

Actually... Never say never. It may yet prove to be significant.

We at least now know who the 4 to 5 angels were at the Tower of Rebirth. It was the Godhand. going from 4 to 5 members.

There seems to be some contention on this point. Some are speculating that all of these Godhand we see in the flash back ascended with each other at the same time. I tend to lean more towards what you're saying here, that the other 4 already existed and that Void (most likely the wise man) is the only one joining the other 4 in this instance.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Some thoughts from chat with Wally: Is this two memories, or moments? It looks like a sacrifice AND incarnation. Everything screams sacrifice, but the burning brand was a signature of the incarnation and would make sense with the destruction of his city. But again, I'm only extrapolating from what I've previously known, no reason it has to be exclusive though.

I do think they're two different moments, but I figure they're in close succession. From the way they're structured, it's not clear that anyone but him faces the proto-God Hand in the tentacle dimension. But then when he comes back, he finds her dying along with the rest of his capital city. Now with that being said, there's a motif between Saint Albion and the Tower of Rebirth that doesn't fully click yet.

Void imprisoned in Albion / Griffith imprisoned in the Tower of Rebirth
City "sacrificed" at the Tower of Rebirth (?) / Femto incarnated at Albion

There's a parallel going on that isn't coincidental. It's just not yet clear to me how things went down on Void's side, because I don't think he was incarnated. I think his "once-in-a-thousand-years" ceremony was something else, with another purpose. Presumably, the worlds were merged at the time and from what went down, it seems Void and his pals confronted their enemies straight on. They destroyed the city, destroyed the great king, and then set out to achieve some unknown objective.

My guess is that at that point, they faced off with the good guys and those two forces mutually annihilated themselves. Four of the bad guys were wiped out, but Void survived. To seal him away, the surviving magicians then set out to split the corporeal world from the astral world. And so Void has been patiently rebuilding a team for all these years, and preparing the way for another attempt. And it's what's going on now. The worlds are merged again, we saw the God Hand "coming in" during the Blast of the Astral World, and Griffith is paving the way for god knows what.

I do think they're two different moments, but I figure they're in close succession. From the way they're structured, it's not clear that anyone but him faces the proto-God Hand in the tentacle dimension. But then when he comes back, he finds her dying along with the rest of his capital city. Now with that being said, there's a motif between Saint Albion and the Tower of Rebirth that doesn't fully click yet.

Void imprisoned in Albion / Griffith imprisoned in the Tower of Rebirth
City "sacrificed" at the Tower of Rebirth (?) / Femto incarnated at Albion

There's a parallel going on that isn't coincidental. It's just not yet clear to me how things went down on Void's side, because I don't think he was incarnated. I think his "once-in-a-thousand-years" ceremony was something else, with another purpose. Presumably, the worlds were merged at the time and from what went down, it seems Void and his pals confronted their enemies straight on. They destroyed the city, destroyed the great king, and then set out to achieve some unknown objective.

My guess is that at that point, they faced off with the good guys and those two forces mutually annihilated themselves. Four of the bad guys were wiped out, but Void survived. To seal him away, the surviving magicians then set out to split the corporeal world from the astral world. And so Void has been patiently rebuilding a team for all these years, and preparing the way for another attempt. And it's what's going on now. The worlds are merged again, we saw the God Hand "coming in" during the Blast of the Astral World, and Griffith is paving the way for god knows what.

Perhaps next episode we will get an explanation of what "living in the reason of time" means. It could be related to the Astral world like you said. Schierke knows what that entails and she is in the scene when it ends.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Another God Hand! A previous God Hand! This one's arguably freakier than the current one.

Well, just wait a minute here. I don't see no hand anywhere. Who's saying they didn't go by another name? :carcus: :iva:

First off, the setting is brand new. Probably like the field of faces, so just an environment, but wow! It even subtliy forms a ceiling making it a hallway of individually unique tentacles. It's always been odd how the 'evil' associated with the God hand always produces unique creatures.

Don't forget the Vortex of Souls as the backdrop. That's next level.

And lastly, the woman looks similar to Dannan and even has the head piece. Lots of Elven imagery on her jewelry. But she's branded. And apparently dead. So it doesn't make sense to be Dannan. Instead, might Dannan be the offspring of Gaiseric and this (I assume) elf woman?

Yeah I mentioned that earlier, but I think another interesting possibility might be that Gaiseric's lover was herself the daughter of Danan. (with a single 'n' in the middle!)
There's a bunch of reasons for it, one being that Danan is tied to her giant cherry tree as far as we know (not unlike how Chich was tied to her plant). But... a tree of that size would presumably take thousands of years to grow to that extent... And it stands on an island where time flows differently (more slowly) than in the outside world.

We at least now know who the 4 to 5 angels were at the Tower of Rebirth. It was the Godhand. going from 4 to 5 members.

I don't know about that. It's not clear to me that Void was just the newest member in a preexisting group. There's several reasons for this, including the fact that casting the Brand seems to be his personal skill and not something any member of the God Hand can do (the others here don't even appear to have hands). I think that's an important question to ask. Did the Brand predate Void? Personally I tend to think it did not, that it's something he created. I feel like if it wasn't the case it would diminish his status.

Another thing is that he seems to be leading the group in those shots to me, although I'll grant that it's not a sure thing at all. But anyway, they were presumably not visible from the outside world during that ceremony, since they were very deep within the astral world. So we don't actually know what actually went down during the destruction of the city. Unless they "went out" afterwards and destroyed it themselves, but that doesn't seem too likely right now... And also as a reminder, that old tale isn't presented to us as something that's very reliable. So I just wouldn't give too much weight to that "four or five angels" thing, because it might turn out to not really matter.

Last thing: The Skull Knight famously told Guts that he would have to choose between pursuing his revenge or protecting the woman he loves, that he couldn't do both. Maybe he knew from personal experience.

Perhaps next episode we will get an explanation of what "living in the reason of time" means.

There's no need for an explanation. It means that his life defies the conventional notion of time. That he's lived way beyond a normal human lifespan.

Top Bottom