Episode 363

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The moment with Danan really stands out to me. My first thought for what might explain the resemblance between her and the Cherry Blossom Princess/Priestess is that perhaps Danan took on her appearance as a tribute to her after she died, as a sign of their closeness?

Yeah the scene between the two of them is very powerful. This episode confirms Gaiseric's lover was related to Danan in some form. But... it's hard to tell which exactly. The way she speaks about her doesn't feel like she was her daughter, and the way she talks to the Skull Knight doesn't make it seem like it was herself in another form either. That last hypothesis would have led to the assumption she had been reincarnated somehow, which has its own sets of problems (since the tree predated the grave).

So, all of this to say... a sister maybe? :???: Assuming she was an elf who could assume a human form, like Danan does. Of course there's also the issue of her title, that of "cherry blossom medium princess" basically. Someone important enough that she had Flora among her attendants. And related to a cherry tree, most likely the one she's interred under. Thinking about all this gave me a strange idea (i.e. very far-fetched) about how maybe humans could be born from spiritual trees. That could explain the uncanny resemblance between the priestess and Danan without her being an elf. It also brings to mind Schierke's origins, about which we know nothing.

I definitely get the feeling that Casca will be drawn to her son, and hopefully she'll be able see/talk to Guts as a result ( <3 ). But then of course, there's a very good chance that Griffith could reveal himself, and shit hits the fan.

I do think the boy came to help reunite Guts and Casca. But I'm curious whether he'll truly talk to Guts this time, and if so, what he will have to say...

As for Griffith revealing himself, we'll see. I'm still not convinced Griffith could just take over whenever he wants, given that the boy has been shown to only be able to assume control under specific conditions. If that can be undone just because Griffith feels like it (and to achieve what?), then why even allow it in the first place? I think an outside element would be needed, like someone else trying to magically force the boy to "reveal" himself...

I do think the boy came to help reunite Guts and Casca. But I'm curious whether he'll truly talk to Guts this time, and if so, what he will have to say...

As for Griffith revealing himself, we'll see. I'm still not convinced Griffith could just take over whenever he wants, given that the boy has been shown to only be able to assume control under specific conditions. If that can be undone just because Griffith feels like it (and to achieve what?), then why even allow it in the first place? I think an outside element would be needed, like someone else trying to magically force the boy to "reveal" himself...

What I’m thinking is the way Miura presents the child, that is, in a dark and gloomy way (and it’s the first time). This choice of design reminds me very much of the "encounter" between Casca and Guts after waking up, in which the protagonist was also drawn in a rather gloomy way and then we saw what happened next.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
What I’m thinking is the way Miura presents the child, that is, in a dark and gloomy way (and it’s the first time). This choice of design reminds me very much of the "encounter" between Casca and Guts after waking up, in which the protagonist was also drawn in a rather gloomy way and then we saw what happened next.

The way he approaches with cherry blossoms falling around is reminiscent of that scene, yes, however I wouldn't say that the last page is gloomy or sinister by any means.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, that episode had a bit of everything!

The casual Skully's lover is buried there reveal and just seeing him engage in "normal" activity like visiting a loved ones grave was very cool. Plus, the explicit acknowledgment of her resemblance to Danan (Schierke's peek already pays off), and his super badass dead hearted talk were great. I hate that they walked away of course, like really, giving them privacy? Guts just had his mind violated! Demand some answers, dude. :guts:

At first I was pissed with Isidro crashing the episode, but his segment was actually delightful and somehow managed to make him seem more formidable as others note. Beware the power of a delusional mind in a magical realm! And yeah, the callbacks were great, Star Wars, the kelpie, but most of all, Isidro going Wyald and even doing Adon face!!! That might be the episode or even chapter highlight. =)

Oh, but of course then we get more cool Guts and Skully comparisons, Guts is sure chatty these days, and then the Moonlight Boy reveals himself as predicted...

Can't wait for next time!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The boy's appearance was a LITTLE ahead of schedule for me. But it's the next logical catalyst for whatever is to come, certainly. I just worry about what Miura will do now that basically a powder keg has arrived at the heart of the island. Is he gonna light that fuse now, or give us a few eps together -- as a FAMILY?

The most enigmatic part of the ep to me was seeing Danan and SK in the same panel, and that look she gives him, almost like she was trying to remind him of his past. Also it's nice to get at least a title for the woman in question (桜の姫巫女), though we're still a bit in the dark on her relationship to Danan. I almost feel like Miura is basically telling us: "What, you can't figure it out, losers?"

The obvious conclusion is daughter or blood relation, but Miura's been a bit coy so far about it, which makes me think there's more at work. For example, right after Schierke remarks about the resemblance between the two, Miura does this. I just feel like there's more happening here.

As for the Star Wars stuff in this ep, I was heartened to recall Miura's comment in Young Animal back in 1999 (around Phantom Menace's release): "Jedi are cool. Jar Jar Binks is unnecessary."

One unfortunate aspect of this episode cutting away from the cave in 362 was that it lessened Hanarr's involvement. He was really just there to show the memory? no armor lesson other than 'watch out'! ?

Griffith

It was a lot the last two eps with the introduction of Hanarr and Skully revelations seemingly coming to a head, then we get a textbook example of a comic diversion and bait and switch to something even more vital, technically =), than Skully's past relationships. I thought it was effective to that end, in order to surprise us with something we were already expecting, but Miura is touching on a lot of ground quickly in these episodes.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
It's Flora, not Danan (simple typo I'm sure) and she was exiled because she did something forbidden. Like, say, encase the soul of a dead man inside a magical armor.
Ah, that's my bad. I read it as "Danan," not "Flora." Knew I should've had that third cup of coffee this morning before posting, but I was just too damn excited! Thanks for correcting me!

I was in a rush this morning and mistook the person speaking (Gedflynn instead of SK). All we know for now is that it's the woman's grave. We don't know what became of Gaiseric's corpse.
Gotcha. No worries!

You know, I didn't mind the Star Wars references back in the day because they were about the "real" trilogy, the one we old folks used to care about, but seeing Jar Jar Binks might have been too much for me. Of course he did it because of the resemblance with the Kelpie (and because Poock's the "wacky" one)...
Agreed. To be honest, I was moving through the panels so quickly, I didn't even notice the elves dressed as stormtroopers or Jar Jar. I'll take another look at the episode tonight after work and see what else I missed my first time through.

You mean Flora?
Et tu, Oburi?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
New thought: What if the tree had already existed for a long time on that island. And when Gaiseric's lover – the priestess who was chiefly in charge of tending to it (as a powerful spiritual tree) – died, she was interred under it. Then, incredibly, her spirit was reborn through the tree... Reborn as Danan the elf. This would parallel SK's fate in a way: a continued existence, but in a different form. A possible variation is that Danan was born as a wholly different being, but sharing her likeness because of all that. That would make it crueler for SK, too.

In any case, I think Miura is establishing a clear connection between this tragic couple and Guts and Casca's yet-to-be-mended-relationship. It's not a coincidence it's all happening at the same time.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
One unfortunate aspect of this episode cutting away from the cave in 362 was that it lessened Hanarr's involvement. He was really just there to show the memory? no armor lesson other than 'watch out'! ?
I have a strange feeling he'll be back. He's too cool to go away forever! I imagine we'll see him again if (when?) conflict breaks out on the island. With the Moonlight Boy/Griffith there, how can it not?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Now that you mention it, yea it does feel like Hanarr got sidelined a bit. Almost feels like there should be a transition page between the two episodes. Ah well. I'm sure we'll get back to him at some point.

The boy's appearance was a LITTLE ahead of schedule for me. But it's the next logical catalyst for whatever is to come, certainly. I just worry about what Miura will do now that basically a powder keg has arrived at the heart of the island. Is he gonna light that fuse now, or give us a few eps together -- as a FAMILY? ?
It would certainly be nice to get some time for them to be together. It would be monumental actually. The boy would be in Elfhelm, with Guts and a freshly restored Casca together. I took it for granted that the the boy would show up without really considering the family unit aspect of it all. I almost forget if we're allowed to have nice things in Berserk. As mentioned that could be the crux of Guts and Casca finally coming together and begin the healing process.

New thought: What if the tree had already existed for a long time on that island. And when Gaiseric's lover – the priestess who was chiefly in charge of tending to it – died, she was interred under it. Then, incredibly, her spirit was reborn through the tree, reborn as Danan the elf. This would parallel SK's fate in a way: a continued existence, but in a different way. A variation is that Danan was born as a different being, but sharing her likeness because of what's mentioned above. That would make it crueler for SK.
Interesting. Feels right too. I don't like all that mother/daughter stuff. You have the best idea of how that scene with Danan and Skully felt too. What does your gut tell you? I have to trust your instincts :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The boy's appearance was a LITTLE ahead of schedule for me. But it's the next logical catalyst for whatever is to come, certainly. I just worry about what Miura will do now that basically a powder keg has arrived at the heart of the island. Is he gonna light that fuse now, or give us a few eps together -- as a FAMILY?

I think if we look at things logically, it would be hard right now to launch the story into events that will take the group off of the island. There's just too much development that has yet to take place: Farnese & Schierke's magic lessons for one, but also Hanarr having a look at Guts' equipment, which surprisingly didn't take place this time. And there's also the matter of Casca maybe getting some new gear, and development for Serpico, Isidro, Azan... I don't know, I'm not too worried about them not getting any down time before they leave. Anyway I agree, I'd love to see Guts, Casca and their son spend some peaceful moments together. The time is right for it.

Also, more generally I figure it's possible for things to escalate and reach a climax, then cool down again and have all members of the group reexamine their options and get determined before leaving for the FINAL QUEST.

No way! We'll see him again for sure. Same with Volvaba! :guts:

Almost feels like there should be a transition page between the two episodes. Ah well. I'm sure we'll get back to him at some point.

Agreed, it feels abrupt as it is, like a page's missing.

Interesting. Feels right too. I don't like all that mother/daughter stuff. You have the best idea of how that scene with Danan and Skully felt too. What does your gut tell you? I have to trust your instincts :guts:

Haha, well my first thought upon seeing this episode was the rebirth one. Seeing that shot of the Skull Knight and Danan... There's something there. It's not devoid of problems though. Danan doesn't talk to him like she would to her lover, calling him "Lord Knight" (騎士さま). And she refers to the dead woman in the third person. That's why I cooked up the idea that she might have become "someone else" in the process. That would also solve the human/elf dilemma, and explain some of Danan's unique attributes (not that they really need explaining though). Anyway, it's just an idea without much to support it for now, but I can't think of anything better. The main problem with it is the fact the woman was branded, which would normally mean that her soul was bound for the Vortex of Souls.

And yeah @Salty Kenny, assuming this theory is correct, it's definitely possible she would have remaining bits of memories from her former life.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well the kid did stay a bunch of episode in the sea god segment. So it could be something similar before and if shit hit the fan.

What about Sonia appearing in Skellig? which would complicate things a lot. In episode 358, right before Griffith starts turning into Moonlight Boy. She says to mule that she's going for a long journey, to somewhere far away. She can travel through the world tree branches

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
What about Sonia appearing in Skellig? which would complicate things a lot. In episode 358, right before Griffith starts turning into Moonlight Boy. She says to mule that she's going for a long journey, to somewhere far away. She can travel through the world tree branches

She just says she's going far away, nothing about a long journey. And it's because she's upset Charlotte gets to spend time with Griffith and not her. It could easily just mean going to some far corner of the castle or into the city. Anyway, we explored that idea at the time. We'll see, it's a clear possibility, but I don't think it's in the cards for the next few episodes.

My guess is that he/Volvaba will come back in a situation similar to that of when Flora's tree was burning, Guts is going to be defeated in some capacity by Griffith and Hanarr/Volvaba will come in with some new upgrade to save him, just like the Berserker armor. Or, maybe the wizards hold off Griffith until that upgrade scene happens, sparing Guts from any serious damage, and perhaps Guts sees more of Sk's past in the upgrade process? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that he/Volvaba will come back in a situation similar to that of when Flora's tree was burning, Guts is going to be defeated in some capacity by Griffith and Hanarr/Volvaba will come in with some new upgrade to save him, just like the Berserker armor. Or, maybe the wizards hold off Griffith until that upgrade scene happens, sparing Guts from any serious damage, and perhaps Guts sees more of Sk's past in the upgrade process? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that we'll never see Hanarr again, just that his big scene felt like it got cut short. There was quite a bit more that particular group could talk about in the cave, but instead it transitions immediately elsewhere. It's just too bad, is all.

Agreed, it feels abrupt as it is, like a page's missing.
[/ISPOILER]

It just feels very compressed, as is.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I enjoyed this episode!

During the first readthrough, I felt a bit frustrated by the comedic scene with Isidro and the witches. But after waiting a bit, and after a few more re-reads, I think that frustration was mainly due to the usual long waits between episodes and the fact that we're in the midst of some HUGE stuff main plot-wise.

I am a huge fan of good cartoony exaggerated facial expressions and this episode was full of them. Miura really treated us to a pile of fun faces today.

The scene with Isidro and the witches really shows that this place is a paradise. In Elfhelm, these kids actually get to goof off. I feel like even the darkness that exists on the island seems mostly non-threatening.

I'm sure this won't last forever, but for now I'm happy that this gang gets to be in such a non-heavy atmosphere.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I am a huge fan of good cartoony exaggerated facial expressions and this episode was full of them. Miura really treated us to a pile of fun faces today.
The scene with Isidro and the witches really shows that this place is a paradise. In Elfhelm, these kids actually get to goof off. I feel like even the darkness that exists on the island seems mostly non-threatening.

Yeah it's amusing that the big threat is Isidro himself. And I've also got to hand it to Miura for a lowkey Wyald reference like Griff said earlier, with Isidro shouting "Dynamic & Stylish (in English) Packing (in Japanese)" as he lifts and ties the witches' robes. Must be a monkey thing. =)

You'll notice though that the "nice Kelpie" that saved the day was going to just swallow Isidro whole before Isma told it to stop. I wonder how Serpico would have felt seeing that scene unfold. :schnoz:

Griffith

It just feels very compressed, as is.

My impression on the episode and the quickening of the pace as a whole is Miura wanted to introduce all these new elements, rather than methodically explore them like he otherwise might have, because shit is hitting the fan sooner rather than later. Like the journey and the mission are complete, so what inciting incident is going to pull them out of there? Then you-know-who immediately shows up.

And now we also have all these new intriguing plot threads like the connection between Skully and Danan, if they're both essentially ghosts of their former selves (if those weren't awkward ex vibes IDK =), and what bannable role Flora had in either or both of those transitions.

I'd love to be wrong though and get multiple episodes of family story time with grandpa Skully, "Did I ever tell you kids about the 60s? Like, literally, it was the year 60!" :badbone:

It's going to require nobody on the island scrutinizing that there's something seriously up with the kid, though. Of course, there's a middle way where they do figure out what's up with the kid and it gives them a new motivation, opportunity and even an immediate advantage if they don't set off any alarm bells right away.

Last edited:

Mammon

Mangoku army
Like always, I don't have much to say that hasn't already been discussed by the usual suspects.

I'm real glad to have stumbled across this forum (already 12 years ago, time really flies), since everywhere else I've looked for discussions about the new episode, people were complaining about "too much child nudity/Miura being problematic again" & lack of regular updates, plus the usual spamming of Donovan/"rape-horse"/Idolmasters memes :shrug:

Thanks a lot to all of you SK regulars who keep the mature conversations going, and always provide us with links to buy the actual magazines to support our favorite mangaka; I'm sure a great number of lurkers like myself rely on you people to help us digest all these new informations.

(...) Then, incredibly, her spirit was reborn through the tree... Reborn as Danan the elf. This would parallel SK's fate in a way: a continued existence, but in a different form. A possible variation is that Danan was born as a wholly different being, but sharing her likeness because of all that(...)

This theory is really satisfying, I like it - it seems plausible too, albeit pretty specific. Her being a daughter, mother or relative doesn't really make sense in my opinion since the resemblance is really striking - and having Skull Knight interact with her, is as if interacting with his former lover who has lost her memory. Here's to hoping your theory's true.

I wonder just how similar Floras taboo will be, to the human transmutation that the brothers performed in Fullmetal Alchemist :carcus:

Matteo Metallo

Veritas Non Verba Magistri
No way! We'll see him again for sure. Same with Volvaba! :guts:
Volvaba has to be more integral. She not only has knowledge of taboo magic but alluded to ramblings or prophecies from the gurus on Elfhelm. She may even know about Void and his origins.

But also... Since the Moonlight Boy is in Elfhelm and it's altered perception of time will he be able to sustain this form for a longer period? In addition, do you think there is the possibility that the Boy with the help of the gurus can overpower Griffith/Femto?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Her being a daughter, mother or relative doesn't really make sense in my opinion since the resemblance is really striking
Indeed, the resemblance between the women draws attention to itself in a way that weakens a blood relative. Schierke says what readers felt last episode: The resemblance is unmistakable. And if it's supposed to be a completely different character, but related to Danan in some way, then I imagine Miura would have made her design more distinct, not confusingly similar.

But also... Since the Moonlight Boy is in Elfhelm and it's altered perception of time will he be able to sustain this form for a longer period?
Longer in time relative to the outside world, sure. But a night in Elfhelm is still a night in Elfhelm.

In addition, do you think there is the possibility that the Boy with the help of the gurus can overpower Griffith/Femto?
That's a question with endless variables. So maybe you can explain the extent by which you mean "overpower"? I don't think they'll be able to defeat Femto in this way, no. Put him in a cage or something...? Seems doubtful. But hit me with where you were heading, and I'll try to weigh in.

Top Bottom