Episode 363

Lol, I would actually accept this as the in manga explanation for how they came to be companions. Except it should be "holding a magical carrot*" :)
I had too, it was stuck in my head........im sorry.
PyuTJ7K.png

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone else wonder what the hell the backstory is for Skull Knights horse? Like if Flora committed this great taboo that got her banished from the island, was she also in charge of assigning Skull Knight his horse and/or commiting the same taboo on the horse? We didn't see the horse in the flash back in the previous episode, so where did it come from? Was it just a random horse chilling on the island? I think by now we know this isn't just an ordinary horse dressed up in cool SK armor, it has shown some pretty crazy abilities throughout the manga.

To be honest that's not the most burning question I have. Maybe his loyal steed, who had also perished, was brought back in a similar fashion. Maybe it was something else. I look forward to finding out, but this is secondary to other revelations we're waiting for.

So, Skull Knight's spike was restored this episode.

I guess Hanarr fixed it!

Yeah we talked about it earlier in the thread (on the podcast too).

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Call me crazy but the moon being covered by the clouds in the last panels before the last page, made me think of Guts eye when he's berserk on how the panel right after it his clear of clouds and then the kids shows up. I'm reading wayyyy too much into that but I decided to share my crazyness. :ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I seriously doubt the horse thing will ever be explained. Not that it needs to be. I believe Miura has commented on it before basically just saying "yea, the horse can fly ... because it's cool and magic". Guts also swings an impossibly large sword. Like Aaz said I'm not particularly concerned with an explanation for the horse. On the contrary some things are better left unexplained. It's cooler that way.

Matteo Metallo

Veritas Non Verba Magistri
If the masters of Elfhelm reveal the Moonlight Boy to be Griffith/Femto does this run the risk of:

A.) The Berserk's Armor taking over and Guts going on a rampage
or
B.) Skull Knight seeing a golden opportunity to eliminate a member of the God Hand?

If this should be in Speculation Nation I apologize, I didn't wanna start a new thread since the Boy is now in Elfhelm.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We've talked about it a few times on podcasts over the past year. I tend to think that Miura isn't going to NOT play a dramatic card if he can swing it.

I could envisioned Skull Knight arriving at the scene and drawing his sword without hesitation. Guts would have to make a split-second decision, but I don't think it's a mystery what he'd choose. He'd stop SK's sword. :guts: / :SK:

One scene i go back to in regards to the Boy is the one at the beach cabin, where he tried to take off Guts' Berserker Armor. Him signalling or pushing Guts to put the armor to the side for the time being should definitely help with Cascas negative perception of him. Heard you guys also talk about this in the podcast and i like the idea.

Berserk-238-018.jpg

I would like if someone like SK, Puck or even Serpico joined Guts upong seeing the boy. Would cause for some nice interactions. One of the things i wonder about is the perception of the Gurus and Danan in regards to the boy. In episode 317 Schierke mentioned an interesting comment about his OD.

Schierke: ...Anyway, I don't sense any of the same Od like the other time, a mysterious hostility, coming from him.

I wonder if Miura made sure to include this to avoid a situation where the Gurus of Elfhelm are not able to notice something hostile about the child. Them not expecting a sense of danger would make Femtos emergence even scarier.

On that note, Femtos possible appereance has me thinking a lot about how characters like Farnese and Azan would react. At some point they were on a journey to catch the Falcon of Darkness, thinking their target was Guts. Now with the current situation, it is possible that they will learn the truth about who the Falcon of Darkness actually is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
One scene i go back to in regards to the Boy is the one at the beach cabin, where he tried to take off Guts' Berserker Armor.

I think you're overinterpreting the scene. He climbed on Guts' back but it doesn't look like he's trying to take off the armor to me. He ends up on Guts' face, holding onto his ears.

I would like if someone like SK, Puck or even Serpico joined Guts upong seeing the boy.

I'd prefer Guts and him to have a moment together. They haven't had one for a long time and a lot has changed since then.

In episode 317 Schierke mentioned an interesting comment about his OD. I wonder if Miura made sure to include this to avoid a situation where the Gurus of Elfhelm are not able to notice something hostile about the child. Them not expecting a sense of danger would make Femtos emergence even scarier.

There's more than one way in which this line can be interpreted. What Schierke felt on the beach wasn't necessarily Femto glaring at her from deep down inside the boy's being. She'd likely have distinctly felt that kind of Od (and the Brands would have reacted). It might just have been the kid being apprehensive or wanting his mom to himself. Best to keep an open mind about it.

Now with the current situation, it is possible that they will learn the truth about who the Falcon of Darkness actually is.

I think they'll learn about it regardless, even if Femto doesn't dramatically appear in front of them. I believe the God Hand's plans (and a desire to stop them) will be one of the key motivations for the group to head to Falconia.

I could envisioned Skull Knight arriving at the scene and drawing his sword without hesitation. Guts would have to make a split-second decision, but I don't think it's a mystery what he'd choose. He'd stop SK's sword. :guts: / :SK:
Yes, I really agree with this. I feel like Ged was slightly foreshadowing it by saying that the Skull Knight has been living only for revenge for a long time now.

One scene i go back to in regards to the Boy is the one at the beach cabin, where he tried to take off Guts' Berserker Armor.

Somehow I always thought this scene was rather shown to highlight that the boy, despite being very mysterious, acted like a playful child some times (implying that he was, you know, a small kid on the inside as well). Something that came up once more as he led Guts out of the Sea God, I believe.

That or he was "testing" Guts and Casca, since he ended up falling down from Guts' shoulders and they both reached for him with urgency. It's hard to know whether he did it on purpose or not, in my opinion, but it's nice either way since the boy saved his parents a bunch of time and soon it might be their turn to come after him in order to save him.

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
I would like if someone like SK, Puck or even Serpico joined Guts upong seeing the boy. Would cause for some nice interactions. One of the things i wonder about is the perception of the Gurus and Danan in regards to the boy. In episode 317 Schierke mentioned an interesting comment about his OD.
The beauty of the upcoming interaction is it will have room for this. Especially with these new characters on Elf Island who can casually offer thoughts and clarifications from the wings. Within the core party I could imagine Casca / Farnese seeing from the window.
I'd prefer Guts and him to have a moment together. They haven't had one for a long time and a lot has changed since then.
If things need a nudge during their interaction someone could show up, or most likely they'll eventually join with others. It would be nice to see all the characters reunited together in panels without dialogue, just relaxing.

This episode deeply hinted at some kind of relationship between SK and Danan, connecting their past lives as Gaiseric and his lover respectively. What would be cool is if we got to see a few scenes with more interaction between Danan and Casca. Although the parallel isn't as strong as Guts and Skull Knight, they are both women who went through the Eclipse (or rather Danan's past self went through the Eclipse). When Casca finally awoke from the Corridor of Dreams she is given a beautiful dress from Danan to wear when she meets Guts for the first time. On the podcast of that episode the SkullKastCrew talked about how this was done in kind of a goofy or whimsical way because Danan is an Elf and Elves are silly and dramatic. (Grail saying, "Go meet your man" sticks with me for some reason lol) But what if there is another side to this where Danan feels for Casca because of the connection due to both of them going through the Eclipse? Maybe this is the happy ending that she or her past self really wanted? Obviously this is speculation and it hasn't been confirmed what the direct connection between Danan and Gaiseric's lover, although I think I agree with Aaz's thought that it's implied that Gaiseric's lover became Danan by having her body buried underneath the cherry tree or something of that nature. Obviously SK has knowledge of the past despite his transition from man to a soul bound to an armor. In addition, Femto has a recollection of his past self when he was a man. So there is at least some precedent for mortals being able to keep their memories when they become spiritual/astral/magical beings despite going through different processes. Although I don't think this is necessary for the story, I do think that the relation between Casca and Danan would fit the "causality is a spiral" motif.

I am wondering if the boy and Guts are somehow gonna leave the Island together or be forced to in the next couple of episodes. The boy would then eventually disappear and Guts would be left behind in Midland alone. Perhaps Guts could meet up with Rickerts new group. The rest of Guts group would be forced to leave immediately and we could focus on something else until the group reunites.

I highly doubt this would happen though, it seems like the wrong way to take the story. More likely there is gonna be a big fight scene or another family reunion. I am just thinking about how they are eventually gonna leave the Island, are we gonna skip back to Falconia, Rickert or will Guts group travel via the world tree/portals.

My dream scenario, Guts is the first to meet the "Boy" alone (already very happy thats happening)......Casca feels something(mother instinct, i dont know), runs outside and the first thing she sees is Guts, on his knees, crying....(maybe), hugging the child, saying hes sorry for the all the times he casted him away before. Casca sees this and for the first time she sees Guts not as a warrior, not as a lover, not as an apostle killing machine, but as a father...

Last edited:
My dream scenario, Guts is the first to meet the "Boy"alone (very happy thats happening)......Casca feels something(mother instinct, i dont know), runs outside and the first thing she sees is Guts, on his knees, crying....(maybe), hugging the child, saying hes sorry for the all the times he casted him away before. Casca sees this and for the first time she sees Guts not as a warrior, not as a lover, not as a apostle killing machine, but as a father...
And the eclipse that her mind puts around Guts melts away by the light of the boy.

That would be a perfect launching point (after a period of rest) for the final journey: to go and confront Griffith, not (just) for revenge, but to save the boy... and incidentally to save the world too. Because only they can do it. It could also come to light that the boy doesn't have long before he's eventually erased, if we want to add a supplementary pressure.

That does make me think, and forgive me if I ramble or over extrapolate from previous events, how that could be the key to them beating Griffith. Because the one time Guts has bested Griffith in a duel was when he was clear-minded and resolute in leaving the Band of the Falcon. Their first duel, and all other fights (if you can call his attempted attack in the Black Swordsman Arc and the encounter at the Hill of Swords "fights"), he's given completely into his rage and got stomped.

Obviously given the vast gap in power between Griffith and Guts makes an outright duel, but I think that further reinforces he'll need a level head and not be revenge-driven. I know the whole series has been transparent that revenge is gonna do a lot more harm than good, but it's nice to kind of organize all those thoughts.

So in short, I agree having the Moonlight Boy be the motivation to get back in the fight would be rad!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That does make me think, and forgive me if I ramble or over extrapolate from previous events, how that could be the key to them beating Griffith. Because the one time Guts has bested Griffith in a duel was when he was clear-minded and resolute in leaving the Band of the Falcon. Their first duel, and all other fights (if you can call his attempted attack in the Black Swordsman Arc and the encounter at the Hill of Swords "fights"), he's given completely into his rage and got stomped.

Obviously given the vast gap in power between Griffith and Guts makes an outright duel, but I think that further reinforces he'll need a level head and not be revenge-driven. I know the whole series has been transparent that revenge is gonna do a lot more harm than good, but it's nice to kind of organize all those thoughts.

Well... I don't think it's a fair comparison. When they first met, Griffith was just better than him. By the time Guts left the band, he was undoubtedly the superior fighter. With Femto though, the power gap between them is beyond fighting skills. There is a big difference the boy could make however, and it's simply that he loves his dad. When Griffith watched Guts fight Zodd in volume 22, he felt his heartbeat quicken as the boy's feelings imposed themselves on him. And a moment later he was compelled by the kid to act to save Casca. In that regard, it might not be easy at all for him to kill Guts, simply because the boy won't let him. That being said, I do think Guts moving past the "pure revenge" aspect will play a role one way or another.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I mentioned this in the podcast, but I took notice of a design shown in the window of Casca's panel, which seems to depict a flowering bud.

elfhelmdesign2.jpg

Because the shape of the bud seemed similar to the gravestone beneath the cherry blossom tree, I wondered if it could be an artistic representation of what ultimately happened with Danan. If she is indeed as special as she seems, and ruler of Elves, it would seem appropriate to commemorate her birth with this kind of art.

Then I noticed today that we've actually seen a version of that design before, in the gurus' huge house from 345.

elfhelmdesign1.jpg

So now I definitely don't think it was just a "natural" style design. Also, in this scene the bud is actually a portion of a helix design... Hmmmm!

There's more than one way in which this line can be interpreted. What Schierke felt on the beach wasn't necessarily Femto glaring at her from deep down inside the boy's being.

Sorry for asking if this what discussed in another thread. What is the consensus about Griffith's mind while inhabiting the moonlight boy, is he trapped in the body and can see everything the MB sees? is he kinda of asleep? does he remember the experience when he becomes himself again?

Top Bottom