Episode 363

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
You're probably right aha, but it's just one of those trivial things I need to know more about lol.

Who knows, we might still learn more about it in the future. Like I mentioned yesterday, the fact Miura cut the visit to Hanarr short and then showed us the sequence of events like he did in this episode implies to me that he's got a specific way in which he wants things to be revealed to us. See Griff and I's talk earlier about how action and story go together in Berserk. All stories have a rhythm that's kind of like an ebb and flow: things are set up and then at some point there's an escalation towards a climax where they pay off. Right now they're still being set up. We're heading to a big reveal about the Skull Knight's past and the Berserk's armor, and a part of that reveal may be related to the current state of SK's armor.

Overpower in the sense of remaining in the Moonlight Boy form by choice and not reverting back to Femto when the full moon ends. I definitely didn't explain that very well in my post. [...] I'm wondering if Femto can be kept at bay even after the full moon with the help of the guru's magic while he is on Elfhelm.

Ah, I see. Well, I don't think so, or at least not in a manner that they could control without problems. Otherwise we're really close to the end of the story, aren't we? :schnoz: Guts, Casca and their son can spend the rest of their lives on this beautiful island, safe from harm. Cut to credits. So, yeah, that's not going to happen. Even if they did have that ability, something would have to prevent or disrupt it.

What could happen, which I speculated about a while back when episode 358 came out, is for them to try to keep the boy on the island beyond his allotted time, and for him to revert back. Now how about that for a dramatic reveal? It could be something as simple as Danan putting him to sleep alongside Casca at the end of the night. Or things could go in the opposite direction, with someone feeling suspicious and magically forcing him to revert.

But it could also go very differently. For example the boy's nature could be intuited or revealed, but without him actually transforming back. Then, later on, Griffith could return with apostles in tow to neutralize that threat. It would provide an opportunity for a stalemate of sorts, where Griffith's forces would be defeated, but he himself would only be stopped from killing everyone by the boy's love for his parents, leading him to retreat.

That would be a perfect launching point (after a period of rest) for the final journey: to go and confront Griffith, not (just) for revenge, but to save the boy... and incidentally to save the world too. Because only they can do it. It could also come to light that the boy doesn't have long before he's eventually erased, if we want to add a supplementary pressure.

And of course there are yet more possibilities, and many more things I'm skipping here for the sake of keeping it simple. To quote something I said two years ago:

Keep in mind that Guts and Casca's reunion may have started, but it certainly hasn't concluded or even proceeded forward yet. And said reunion will be one of the most important moments in the entire series. What we've seen so far was amazing, but we've yet to see the crux of it. Beyond that alone, Elfhelm was always set out to be where a lot of turning points would happen. More information about how the world works and how it is changing. Reveals about the God Hand's plans and maybe how to stop them. Key character development for Guts' group. More information about the Skull Knight and what happened a thousand years ago. A new, different reason for Guts and the others to go after Griffith. And so on.

I believe a lot of these developments will occur in short succession. You could say it's already started (Casca being restored, the beginning of Griffith's empire, the first glimpses of SK's past), but more is to follow. The next 20 episodes are going to be quite the ride.

Saving Moon boy does feel like a natural progression to the story! I mean the group has no current goal after Casca gained her mind back and this would be a great calyst for some action (The boy's nature will probably be revealed somehow, he might even tell them himself since it looks like he might have grown up a bit :iva:)

That would be a perfect launching point (after a period of rest) for the final journey: to go and confront Griffith, not (just) for revenge, but to save the boy... and incidentally to save the world too. Because only they can do it. It could also come to light that the boy doesn't have long before he's eventually erased, if we want to add a supplementary pressure.
This is exactly what I think the rest of the story after the events on Skellig Island may be about.

From my understanding, Guts already mostly went off the path of revenge, from the moment he decided that keeping Casca safe and taking her to Puck's country was the most important priority. As for Casca, she's back now but she's still traumatized by the Eclipse, understandably so.

Yet I find the story does call for her to go back to being a leader, just like there is no way Guts won't go and confront Griffith before the story ends. So it makes sense that Casca and Guts' motivation when we reach this point will be in relation to their son, who just arrived on Skellig Island.

This may not be the appropriate topic for that, but all of this makes me think about that prophecy mentioning the falcon of darkness/falcon of light (not sure how accurate the terms are, I read Dark Horse's translations): indeed, most humans believe that the falcon of light is Griffith, when we readers know that, as Femto, he can only bring the world an age of darkness. At the same time, once Guts and Casca end up going after their son in order to save him, if/when they succeed, it will also save the world from Femto. So it's as if the child himself is actually the real falcon of light, which I find nice, both thematically and also considering that he's always depicted as surrounded by light (because he appears during the full moon of course, but also when he helped Guts with the armor).

Anyway, sorry for digressing, especially since it's probable that it was mentioned or discussed before, but I do greatly enjoy the idea, haha.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Is it possible that Flora merged SK's lover's soul with the Sovereign of the Flower Storm? In other words, said Sovereign currently exists with both her original soul and SK's lover's intertwined in some way? I know it's pure speculation with very little evidence, but do you think it's possible? It could account for Danan's appearance and potentially intimate knowledge.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible that Flora also did something with Danan's soul (assuming, for the moment, the woman in Guts' vision is Danan), such as merging it with the Sovereign of the Flower Storm? In other words, said Sovereign currently exists with both her original soul and SK's lover's intertwined in some way? I know it's pure speculation with very little evidence, but do you think it's possible?

I think it's possible Flora played a role, yeah. I speculated about this a bit earlier on, but basically nothing says Flora didn't save both SK and Danan, albeit each in a different way. She was the woman's attendant and I believe their duty revolved around the spiritual tree. I think it is possible that she sought to save the woman's soul from hell (since she was branded) by binding it to the tree. This would have caused her in turn to be reincarnated as a different being, infused with that tremendous power: the Sovereign of the Flower Storm.

And while I'm on the topic, I believe it's quite possible Gaiseric's lover might have been the one who came up with the prophecy of the Falcon of Darkness. Her title (桜の姫巫女) contains the same word that Miura uses for Sonia (which we translate as "medium"). And that's also the kind of role Flora had back then, as her assistant or subordinate. Could she have used the power of the tree to divine the future? To read the flow of causality? I find the idea enticing.

This may not be the appropriate topic for that, but all of this makes me think about that prophecy mentioning the falcon of darkness/falcon of light (not sure how accurate the terms are, I read Dark Horse's translations): indeed, most humans believe that the falcon of light is Griffith, when we readers know that, as Femto, he can only bring the world an age of darkness.

Actually the prophecy only mentions the Falcon of Darkness. Here it is: When the sun will have died five times, a red lake will appear at the west of the city with a name both new and ancient, and it will be the sign that the fifth angel is born. The angel shall be a Falcon of Darkness. Both master of the sinful black sheep and king of the blind white sheep. The one who shall bring an age of darkness upon the world.

The Falcon of Light isn't part of that prophecy, and instead is the religious figure at the center of the Holy See's faith. He is described in their scriptures as a savior for mankind. In a way, it can be said that the "Falcon of Light" is how the blind white sheep see the "Falcon of Darkness".

Oburi

All praise Grail
And while I'm on the topic, I believe it's quite possible Gaiseric's lover might have been the one who came up with the prophecy of the Falcon of Darkness. Her title (桜の姫巫女) contains the same word that Miura uses for Sonia (which we translate as "medium"). And that's also the kind of role Flora had back then, as her assistant or subordinate. Could she have used the power of the tree to divine the future? To read the flow of causality? I find the idea enticing.
Shit I never even considered that. Can't help but wonder about that prophecy though. And since we're in a very old place with many old residents I could totally see getting some insight into where it came from , how it came to be, and by whom. That women may very well hold some answers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shit I never even considered that.

Yet another possibility is that the tree sprouted from her mausoleum. This is a variation on the idea of Danan being a sort of reincarnation, as the elf tied to the tree.

Can't help but wonder about that prophecy though. And since we're in a very old place with many old residents I could totally see getting some insight into where it came from , how it came to be, and by whom. That women may very well hold some answers.

Yeah I do think we'll learn more about the prophecy one way or the other. It's tied to everything else: the past, the God Hand's plans, etc.

I can picture in my mind a point where the subject comes up and Schierke starts talking about it, Farnese continues (remember that she, Serpico and Azan all witnessed the "red lake"), and then someone from the island (Danan, Gedflynn) finishes up with a part we haven't heard of yet. It's one of those checks Miura's been waiting to cash that will be very satisfying when it happens.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think that Guts and crew will ever travel to the land of the Holy See, or whatever is left of it anyway.

You know what, I never even thought of that as a possibility! But yeah that could be pretty cool, for example if they had to find something there to help them accomplish their goal. That said, at this point it doesn't strike me as a very likely development. We've never been exposed to that place too much, and the focal point besides Elfhelm is clearly Falconia right now. So I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but I'll be delighted if it comes to pass. More generally I really hope we get to see the group navigate Fantasia (both its strange new sights and creatures and the ruins of the old world) before we head to Falconia for the grand finale.

The headquarters of a major monotheistic religious world power, all built on the basis of a prophecy, there has to be something there that could help the crew right?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I also cant wait to see the bakiraka village. This too will be interesting wether the group gets there or not, it will be shown at some point. I just cant figure out how it could be done. In amy cases, the nexf episodes will be a fun ride!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The headquarters of a major monotheistic religious world power, all built on the basis of a prophecy, there has to be something there that could help the crew right?

We don't know the circumstances of the Holy See's creation. The prophecy of the Falcon of Darkness is just a small part of the revelations collected in their scriptures as far as we know. As for the Falcon of Light ideology, we don't know how it came to be. Anyhow, could it be interesting for the group to travel there, if Miura wanted them to? Sure. But it's not something we can say will definitely happen. I wouldn't bet on it, personally.

I also cant wait to see the bakiraka village. This too will be interesting wether the group gets there or not, it will be shown at some point. I just cant figure out how it could be done.

Yeah the Bakiraka's place, on the other hand, is something we will definitely get to see. I imagine that it will get attacked by Rakshas and his subordinates. It will be an occasion to showcase what the Bakiraka can do (we could even get some callbacks to the old school Bakiraka sewer crew!), not to mention Rickert, Erika and Daiba. If the old man can find himself a new companion on the level of the Kundalini, even the apostles will have to beware.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Yeah the Bakiraka's place, on the other hand, is something we will definitely get to see. I imagine that it will get attacked by Rakshas and his subordinates. It will be an occasion to showcase what the Bakiraka can do (we could even get some callbacks to the old school Bakiraka sewer crew!), not to mention Rickert, Erika and Daiba. If the old man can find himself a new companion on the level of the Kundalini, even the apostles will have to beware.
This is the kind of development I'm excited to see when we'll get there. The creative potential of Rickert mixed with the Bakiraka's skills will most likely turn out to be very usefull not to mention also very interesting to see.

But I'm way ahead of things. Right now I wanna see if Casca's gonna feel the boy at the same time that Guts noticed him. We did see a shot of her in the house not far. Will she feel him through the brand as she seemed to do so as "elaine"?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Right now I wanna see if Casca's gonna feel the boy at the same time that Guts noticed him. We did see a shot of her in the house not far. Will she feel him through the brand as she seemed to do so as "elaine"?

Indeed, that's the biggest question on my mind right now. Well, along with a few others related to SK, Danan, Flora... :ganishka: Anyway, I do think she'll sense him through her brand, yes. A tremendously exciting prospect, especially if it brings her out and she comes face to face with him and Guts. This raises the question of whether the boy can somehow soothe her, and how?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder how Gaiseric actually "survived" the Eclipse.

What most likely happened is that he died, and then Flora bound his soul to a magical armor created by Hanarr. If you mean how he actually got out of there without getting torn to pieces... Good question. Must have been one hell of a fight.

What most likely happened is that he died, and then Flora bound his soul to a magical armor created by Hanarr. If you mean how he actually got out of there without getting torn to pieces... Good question. Must have been one hell of a fight.
You're probably right. So he's wearing the Beserker Armor during the eclipse when his lover dies, which causes him to lose his mind. Then Flora binds his soul to a magical armor.

My question is why and how did he get the Beserker in the first place? The Beserker is fueled by one's inner beast. So I'm curious what the Skull Knight's inner beast is. Perhaps the current magical armor that he wears takes the appearance of his inner beast which is what he is?

How sad.

You're probably right. So he's wearing the Beserker Armor during the eclipse when his lover dies, which causes him to lose his mind. Then Flora binds his soul to a magical armor.

My question is why and how did he get the Beserker in the first place? The Beserker is fueled by one's inner beast. So I'm curious what the Skull Knight's inner beast is. Perhaps the current magical armor that he wears takes the appearance of his inner beast which is what he is?

How sad.
If I remember correctly, when Guts got the armor it had a skull shape so I suppose that is his “inner beast”?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

I don't think that's the right sequence of events. It seems he fought to the death using the Berserk's armor, and then afterwards, as he was dying, held his lover as she also died in his arms. Then later on his soul was bound to his current armor.

My question is why and how did he get the Beserker in the first place?

Well Hanarr is the one who made the Berserk's armor. We don't know the precise circumstances beyond that.

The Beserker is fueled by one's inner beast. So I'm curious what the Skull Knight's inner beast is.

No, that's not how it works. The Berserk's armor is a cursed item. When you wear it, its Od incessantly fuels your battle lust and drowns out everything else, making you go berserk. In Guts' case, those feelings are represented by the Beast of Darkness, so the armor took on that shape. And like Scott just said, when we first saw the Berserk's armor its helmet was shaped like a skull. That tells us that for Gaiseric, those feelings were represented that way. It doesn't necessarily mean he had "an inner beast" just like Guts, though. It could just be a way to represent his fighting spirit.

Does anyone else wonder what the hell the backstory is for Skull Knights horse? Like if Flora committed this great taboo that got her banished from the island, was she also in charge of assigning Skull Knight his horse and/or commiting the same taboo on the horse? We didn't see the horse in the flash back in the previous episode, so where did it come from? Was it just a random horse chilling on the island? I think by now we know this isn't just an ordinary horse dressed up in cool SK armor, it has shown some pretty crazy abilities throughout the manga.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom