Episode 364

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of different emotions. Obviously I’m ecstatic that we get to see Miura’s final gift to us, but it’s also going to be very moving to know this was the last thing he worked on before his death. It will open up those wounds that I hoped were healing.

363 ended in such a way that people were able to accept their headcanon that Guts and Casca lived happily ever after on Elfhelm (as unlikely as that is). This next episode is bound to end on a cliffhanger, and I hope that won’t be used to justify Studio Gaga continuing the series. With all respect to Miura’s assistants they cannot recreate his genius, only imitate it.

But for now, I just look forward to more of Miura’s Berserk and the chance to say a final goodbye to the master.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith is talking about what's left when you wake up from a dream. "A faint feeling of loneliness" is what it looks like he's saying to me, but I can't quite make out some of the kanji, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm guessing the preceding panels have the boy comment on how nice it's all been as he transforms, leading up to this scene.

EDIT: @puella looked at it and here's her translation.

However, when [???] wake up from the dream
Only a faint feeling of desolation is left...

There's no subject in the sentence, so we'll have to wait for the full episode to know if he's talking about himself or about them. I'd venture he means himself.

Last edited:
Or, in the volume just follow it with a blank, black page ala The Sopranos.

In any case, this is awesome, we're even getting the trinity back together one more time, however briefly.
I can't say I ever imagined berserk having a sopranos style ending, I laughed thinking about it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
In the new, higher resolution preview, we can see Danan in the far right frame, in proximity to where the boy will transform. That changes my expectations for that scene a bit. It would have been strange for Danan not to have a presence here, given that the enemy is about to appear. Makes me wonder what she'll do. Her line (appears to be, but Im missing one kanji at the end): そして, so it's roughly "and then..."

In the new, higher resolution preview, we can see Danan in the far right frame, in proximity to where the boy will transform. That changes my expectations for that scene a bit. It would have been strange for Danan not to have a presence here, given that the enemy is about to appear. Makes me wonder what she'll do.
Oh god

I feel like my expectations for this episode only get higher and higher. Damnit.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The release of episode 364 is now official and has been written about by specialized Japanese media outlets. That tells us a little bit more about the "Messages to Kentarou Miura" booklet. According to Natalie.mu, it will feature tributes by Satoru Akahori, Akkiu, Chica Umino, Katsura Aki, Nico Nicholson, Takashi Hashi, Tamami Momose, Kouji Mori, Ena Moriyama and Shizuya Wazarai, who are Young Animal contributors who were close to him.

Additionally they indicate that the issue will contain 29 pages of Berserk color illustrations, plus the poster we already knew about.

Here is also the preview of Young Animal's next issue on the official site. It confirms that the cover will be a Berserk illustration as well (not surprising).

364-YA18-Preview.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Casca is looking very deep in thought in that image

I wonder... I think she might be waking up from the light shining through the window. If you look at the higher resolution preview that was posted, we see a transition between the panel of Guts sitting on the porch(?) and Casca waking up, and that transition shows light shining through the trees. We also see those light rays in her panel. What I'm curious about is whether it's just moonlight or if it could be... dawn. That would be very surprising since the boy is associated with the full moon, but there's the matter of the picnic they're having in another scene. In episode 363, Casca was having some soup in bed and it was the middle of the night. Would they all go out for a nightly meal after that? So that got me thinking about whether the boy might stay longer than usual, maybe due to the way time works on the island or because of some other reason (pushed beyond his limit?). Well, we'll see soon enough.

On another note, one potentially funny scene I look forward to in this episode is Schierke asking Danan about the boy being her emissary, and Danan replying that she doesn't know what she's talking about and has never seen him before.

I wonder... I think she might be waking up from the light shining through the window. If you look at the higher resolution preview that was posted, we see a transition between the panel of Guts sitting on the porch(?) and Casca waking up, and that transition shows light shining through the trees. We also see those light rays in her panel. What I'm curious about is whether it's just moonlight or if it could be... dawn. That would be very surprising since the boy is associated with the full moon, but there's the matter of the picnic they're having in another scene. In episode 363, Casca was having some soup in bed and it was the middle of the night. Would they all go out for a nightly meal after that? So that got me thinking about whether the boy might stay longer than usual, maybe due to the way time works on the island or because of some other reason (pushed beyond his limit?). Well, we'll see soon enough.

On another note, one potentially funny scene I look forward to in this episode is Schierke asking Danan about the boy being her emissary, and Danan replying that she doesn't know what she's talking about and has never seen him before.
If the boy did stay overnight, this would mark the first time that he spends the actual day and not just the night with the group right? I was also wondering maybe the boy crawled into bed with casca while she was sleeping and she first encounters him as she awakes. Would be a good way for guts to get him to her without making direct contact.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
If the boy did stay overnight, this would mark the first time that he spends the actual day and not just the night with the group right?

Yeah it would be a huge departure from the "rules" established so far, which is why I'm hesitant about it. But otherwise I can't quite make sense of the sequence of events if it all happens in a single night. Of course, it's the eternal problem with those kinds of previews, they can be very deceiving. =)

I was also wondering maybe the boy crawled into bed with casca while she was sleeping and she first encounters him as she awakes. Would be a good way for guts to get him to her without making direct contact.

Yeah, could be. He's wearing a garment in that panel though (whereas he's naked when he arrives).

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
The level of the art will never cease to amaze me. Again, I'm so gratefull we get to have another one from the master. Long live Berserk in our hearts! Cannot wait to see the rest of the discutions coming from that one!

I would enjoy that being a scene. Believe it or not, there are readers that I’ve spoken with that still believe the boy to be Danan simply because of Schierke’s line.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I am having trouble logging in with my US Amazon account. Is there a way around this? Or better to just order from the Hakusensha website?
Amazon JP is a completely separate store with a different login you must create. And I really dont think youre going to get a physical copy through Hakusensha. Only digital. Another vendor is CD Japan, but preorders aren't available for it yet.

Amazon JP is a completely separate store with a different login you must create. And I really dont think youre going to get a physical copy through Hakusensha. Only digital. Another vendor is CD Japan, but preorders aren't available for it yet.
Does anyone know if Amazon JP ships internationally or if it is better to just wait for the CD Japan pre order? I know CD Japan ships internationally, but I don't think their pre orders open until ~1 week before the issue releases? Is that going to be an issue since this is bound to be a high selling issue?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I would enjoy that being a scene. Believe it or not, there are readers that I’ve spoken with that still believe the boy to be Danan simply because of Schierke’s line.

Oh, I believe it alright. It's always been a special pleasure of mine to see people hold on to decidedly mistaken beliefs just days before them being proven wrong. Like that guy who, as the Corridor of Dreams was about to begin, insisted that Farnese hated Casca because she was her rival for Guts' love. Or those who thought Griffith and Femto were different people and were chagrined by episode 303.

Anyway, yesterday I came to the conclusion that Isidro will go fishing in this episode (maybe with Isma?), and will fall in the water, which is why he's naked during the picnic with his clothes and shoes out to dry. That's supported by the fact they're grilling fish and Puck is playing with a crab. I think for the most part this may well be a "restful" episode, of the kind @Walter longed for last year.

Does anyone know if Amazon JP ships internationally or if it is better to just wait for the CD Japan pre order? I know CD Japan ships internationally, but I don't think their pre orders open until ~1 week before the issue releases? Is that going to be an issue since this is bound to be a high selling issue?

Amazon does ship internationally. I've used them a bunch of times in the past and they're reliable. These days I tend to prefer CDJapan, so I was going to wait for them to open up their own preorders, buuuut I couldn't quite resist ordering it as soon as possible. I held out, like, a whole hour. :schnoz:

If anyone wants an alternative, Young Animal's official twitter account also posted other links aside from the one Hitoshira relayed, and I think this animate shop ships internationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom