Episode 372

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well I guess I have to make a thread to gather the news & discussion now that it's official.

It's been officially confirmed that episode 372 will come out in Young Animal issue #9-10, which will be released on April 28. There will be a color page.

372-preview_ya_next_58.jpg

Additionally, information about volume 42 has been revealed: https://magazine.younganimal.com/berserk/vol42_special/

It will be released on September 29, 2023 and there will be a special edition that will include a bust of Guts wearing the berserk's armor. It's from Max Factory, and is a modified design from the Pop Up Parade figure they released last year. It's 100 mm tall.

vol42-preorder-bust.jpg

Preorders will be open from April 14 to May 29 at a cost of 7990 yen (which includes the bust & volume 42). The volume by itself will be 715 yen.
I have to point out that the full-size statue the bust is based on originally sold for under 10,000 yen, so that's not a great deal.

And here I was thinking the bust would definitely be taller than a mere 4 inches. 7,000 yen for that is...laughable.
I have the Pop Up Parade figure and the quality is just okay. This looks like one of those trading figures you can get for 1,000 yen a pop.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what to make of that purple effect, as it doesn't resemble anything in the series.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Copy preordered.
I think people supporting this are hurting the series further. Your money ain't going to Miura, and if the sales dwindle enough maybe they would stop with this nonsense.

If anyone complains how crap this renewal is but is still buying the next one, you're an hypocrite.

I think people supporting this are hurting the series further. Your money ain't going to Miura, and if the sales dwindle enough maybe they would stop with this nonsense.

If anyone complains how crap this renewal is but is still buying the next one, you're an hypocrite.
People are still curious about the continuation and regardless of the quality want to see what they'll do, and also try to see the general direction Miura was going to take the story. As a Berserk fan I'll still buy some issues and the eventual new continuation volumes, also i think Mori will see it through even if it isn't popular or has dwindling sales, after everything he's said he basically has no choice or he'd be going back on his word. I doubt young animal would cancel it either, I think they could even have a perpetual state of hiatus just so it won't be completely over. Anyway yes this isn't the outcome everyone wanted but it's better than nothing and we have to face this reality, we also still have the right to complain about it and also buy the volumes at the same time :iva:.

Judo

Midlands finest

So you're saying that if someone buys a product, the person is not allowed to criticize it anymore without turning into a hypocrite?
I think the issue is a little more complex than that.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
People are still curious about the continuation and regardless of the quality want to see what they'll do, and also try to see the general direction Miura was going to take the story. As a Berserk fan I'll still buy some issues and the eventual new continuation volumes, also i think Mori will see it through even if it isn't popular or has dwindling sales, after everything he's said he basically has no choice or he'd be going back on his word. I doubt young animal would cancel it either, I think they could even have a perpetual state of hiatus just so it won't be completely over. Anyway yes this isn't the outcome everyone wanted but it's better than nothing and we have to face this reality, we also still have the right to complain about it and also buy the volumes at the same time :iva:.
Are people still curious or they're just unable to let go of the fact that Berserk died with Miura? That and just mindless consumerism of the Berserk brand. That was fine when Miura was alive, but now it makes no sense. Your money is not supporting Miura.
I doubt this renewal would continue if it didn't sell. Mori already said that he could've just written what he knows in a few pages if he had to, and maybe if people stopped buying this travesty, that would've been the preferable outcome, the "better than nothing" you state.
YA most likely released these post-Miura episodes to gauge the interest of the fans, and as long as it sells, they can keep saying it's all from Miura's notes or whatever Mori remembers, and people will eat it up.
So you're saying that if someone buys a product, the person is not allowed to criticize it anymore without turning into a hypocrite?
I think the issue is a little more complex than that.
Explain it to me then, why are you still supporting this if you don't particularly like it? We had enough episodes to see how capable this team could be, and they shit the bed. If I buy some oranges from a farmer and they taste like bad writing, should I keep buying them in the future?

Explain it to me then, why are you still supporting this if you don't particularly like it? We had enough episodes to see how capable this team could be, and they shit the bed. If I buy some oranges from a farmer and they taste like bad writing, should I keep buying them in the future?
People are just curious to see how they will end it.
Supposedly if you read something and you are an honest person you should buy it.... or completely dissociate your self from the property.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I understand your argument--you're saying that to truly voice dissent and dissatisfaction, we should vote with our wallets. But I'm not trying to tear down the system. I'm not so bold. I'm simply interested in seeing how it goes from here until the end, even if it's not really doing anything for me anymore. It's a story that I care(d) about, and I'm trying to decipher the signal from Miura in the noise created by the new team.

And the only legal way to do that is to buy it. Fine by me.

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
Are people still curious or they're just unable to let go of the fact that Berserk died with Miura? That and just mindless consumerism of the Berserk brand. That was fine when Miura was alive, but now it makes no sense. Your money is not supporting Miura.
I doubt this renewal would continue if it didn't sell. Mori already said that he could've just written what he knows in a few pages if he had to, and maybe if people stopped buying this travesty, that would've been the preferable outcome, the "better than nothing" you state.
YA most likely released these post-Miura episodes to gauge the interest of the fans, and as long as it sells, they can keep saying it's all from Miura's notes or whatever Mori remembers, and people will eat it up.

This is pretty much the way I see it too. Will I read these new berserk chapters? Yes. Will I buy them or support them financially? No.

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
Well I guess I have to make a thread to gather the news & discussion now that it's official.
It was a bummer to read this after clicking the post link. I get it, but also really appreciate the genuine excitement all of you felt when visiting Japan. I hope that enthusiasm can still apply to the series, but I realize such enthusiasm must be earned and deserved. Cheers!

Goat

Foolish king
Accessing copyrighted material illegally is always wrong, independently from your liking of the continuation.

There is always effort, time spent and sacrifices from someone else which must be respected.

I think that talking trash about it so hard is also disrespectful towards Miura sensei himself, He worked on this most of his life and chose and trained the studio members to help him with his work. Mori and the studio are trying to continue his legacy (and it doesn't matter that money is involved). Its obviously flawed and not even a shadow of the real Berserk - but we are getting an the end Miura had planned and it is more than enough to keep me involved in this untill the very end.
If you don't wanna support it that's fine but dont encourage others to do the same sheesh

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

This is a valid question and I've been personally mulling what to do about volume 42. Should I not buy it? Get a used copy? I'm kind of a special case, but financial success does matter for projects like these, and voting with one's wallet does remain the most effective way to get a message across.

That being said, @Dark Emperor, when someone's saying "I'll just read it and not buy it", it's hard for me not to wonder if they're not just sticking to what they were always doing in the first place. Out of principle, our forum rules do remain that people ought to purchase the books if they want to discuss what's going on. I'm asking everyone to keep that in mind and to not promote this sort of behavior.

It was a bummer to read this after clicking the post link. I get it, but also really appreciate the genuine excitement all of you felt when visiting Japan. I hope that enthusiasm can still apply to the series, but I realize such enthusiasm must be earned and deserved. Cheers!

Speaking for myself, I will always love Berserk, but I also have always been a pragmatic man. What Miura produced was consistently great, and that was what made Berserk exceptional. The continuation produced by Mori and the assistants, on the other hand, has been very disappointing on all levels. Like I said in the chat, when they announce a new episode, I get a sinking feeling, because I'm wondering "what are they going to mess up this time?"

As far as I'm concerned, there is an enormous and irreconcilable divide between the real Berserk, by Kentarou Miura, and this continuation. The real Berserk sadly ended with Miura's passing. I hope the continuation project concludes as quickly as possible, because in my opinion it sullies his legacy more than anything else. And I hope someday, when it's all done, Mori will tell us what he actually knew from Miura.

I think that talking trash about it so hard is also disrespectful towards Miura sensei himself, He worked on this most of his life and chose and trained the studio members to help him with his work. Mori and the studio are trying to continue his legacy (and it doesn't matter that money is involved). Its obviously flawed and not even a shadow of the real Berserk - but we are getting an the end Miura had planned and it is more than enough to keep me involved in this untill the very end.

It's not disrespectful towards Miura in the least to say the truth: the continuation is not good. In fact, what I consider to be disrespectful towards him is that these people had the fucking gall to do it in the first place, given what the result has been. And then that Mori and Kurosaki have been congratulating each other on Twitter about it, saying things like "Oh, Mori was basically the coauthor of Berserk". I can't forgive that.

I don't blame you for trying to be optimistic, but don't assume we're going to get "the ending Miura had planned" until you see what they actually do. I believe Miura really told Mori what he planned to do with the story all those years ago. But I don't trust Mori nor the assistants to be able to do it justice, especially not after 20+ years of development and refinement.

Berserk died with Miura? That and just mindless consumerism of the Berserk brand.
No one is disagreeing with you, we all share that opinion, I see this as something separate I'm not mindlessly following the continuation I know it's fundamentally flawed but it's all we have, this is the only way to glean information and elements from Miura's unfinished work. It's not Berserk and it never will be period.

I knew something was very wrong when I didn't feel the emotions i should have after 364, that should have been an emotional rollercoaster but it felt flat, very flat, almost like a fan fiction that wasn't really well thought out, and I think it's going to keep happening with them. It sucks but as I said it's the only way to get the information. And like Aaz said I just hope Mori addresses what he really knows and the details because I know for a fact he's taking liberties, and we already know he's taking shortcuts. My theory is that he's just filling the story out with his own bs after the big events Miura told him about. But it just lacks any Miura, it feels so hollow and lifeless and unlike the Berserk I know and became a fan of, that's why I'm separating it in my mind so I don't feel too bad when they mess up and ruin the characters and the berserk world.
voting with one's wallet does remain the most effective way to get a message across.
I think the first volume will sell well in Japan, it's almost like a volume 1 because it's the start of the continuation but if they continue with this quality then we'll see the sales go down overtime for sure. I've also seen a LOT of people online that literally don't care and just want more, and they talk as if they have forgotten Miura passed and that this is definitely Berserk and everything is how Miura would have done it and nothing has changed, these people might also buy the volumes.
Mori and Kurosaki have been congratulating each other on Twitter about it, saying things like "Oh, Mori was basically the coauthor of Berserk".
What!? Really? I wasn't aware of that. That is cringe and disrespectful I'm surprised they would be bold enough to make a statement like that. From what I've seen so far of them I'm not really big fans of these people.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've also seen a LOT of people online that literally don't care and just want more, and they talk as if they have forgotten Miura passed and that this is definitely Berserk and everything is how Miura would have done it and nothing has changed, these people might also buy the volumes.

If I may be candid, that crowd doesn't strike me as the "volume-buying" type. But let's not divagate too much about what others might do or not. It's up to each fan to decide how they want to handle the continuation. What I think is important for us as a community is to be clear-eyed about the situation and to give straightforward and honest feedback, even if it's painful.

What!? Really? I wasn't aware of that. That is cringe and disrespectful I'm surprised they would be bold enough to make a statement like that.

Yes, in this message.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is a valid question and I've been personally mulling what to do about volume 42. Should I not buy it? Get a used copy? I'm kind of a special case, but financial success does matter for projects like these, and voting with one's wallet does remain the most effective way to get a message across.

If we’re strictly talking about volume 42, then no, I don’t think I’m going to purchase that one. I already own the magazines digitally, which I guess strikes the right balance of being able to follow the story while also denying one sale. But more practically—and it sounds crazy to say so, but—I can’t imagine needing to revisit a continuation volume for reference. One read through is plenty for those.

"I knew it, but I was convinced. Mr. Miura was no different than a co-author"
The hell...? I've read the rest of the tweets and he's saying that Miura sensei and Mori work and think togheter to the point where "rather than being best friends, it seems that they are twin brothers" in his words. But still to call Berserk anything but Miura's masterpiece is doing Miura injustice.

Also on the same subject, for all of yall who wish for the continuation to end or get canceled (not judging, just trying to understand this point of view), what than? Do you expect Mori to release a one shot with the drafts and ideas? a LN? series of tweets?
I'm not sure any of them are preferable to me to be frank, but I might've missed another good way for going about it.

It's not disrespectful towards Miura in the least to say the truth: the continuation is not good. In fact, what I consider to be disrespectful towards him is that these people had the fucking gall to do it in the first place, given what the result has been. And then that Mori and Kurosaki have been congratulating each other on Twitter about it, saying things like "Oh, Mori was basically the coauthor of Berserk". I can't forgive that.

I don't blame you for trying to be optimistic, but don't assume we're going to get "the ending Miura had planned" until you see what they actually do. I believe Miura really told Mori what he planned to do with the story all those years ago. But I don't trust Mori nor the assistants to be able to do it justice, especially not after 20+ years of development and refinement.
I always felt like these people had bad vibes and it seems I was right, the way the people over there treat Berserk is atrocious

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
to call Berserk anything but Miura's masterpiece is doing Miura injustice.

Agreed. No matter how you cut it, his statement is laughable and insulting.

Also on the same subject, for all of yall who wish for the continuation to end or get canceled (not judging, just trying to understand this point of view), what than? Do you expect Mori to release a one shot with the drafts and ideas? a LN? series of tweets?
I'm not sure any of them are preferable to me to be frank, but I might've missed another good way for going about it.

I think what many have been wishing for is a written description where Mori lays out everything he and the others know, with ten or so illustrations by the assistants. If they could supplement it with some of Miura's unreleased sketches and notes, even better. That would have been a way to give people a conclusion without the team biting more than they could chew. It would also have made it much clearer what was known or not, leaving space for fans to fill in the gaps with their imagination.

There was always an argument to be made for doing it in manga form, of course. It's not hard to understand why they went about it that way, as we discussed back when the project was announced. But the risk of failure was incomparably higher, and, well... You know what happened.

You know what happened.
they fucked it up didnt they?
:mozgus:
but they have said its soon over right, i mean how bad can it get in this last arc... We are already disassociated with it, it cant hurt us :stop::badbone:

Can't we just be happy with 364? I wouldnt mind if thats all we got, a happy ending episode, when shit didnt go down yet, and things were still in good vibes. I would rather take nothing over a continuation. Best case scenario? Written like a script for a film. A summary of the key events that would happen had Miura finished it himself! Let people imagine Miura drawing each of those panels instead of doing it all wrong, let the imagination run wild. Miura always did show and not tell anyway

Last edited:
Top Bottom