Episode 373

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
In this post I'll be pointing things out as if I expected these episodes to be written with a coherent narrative in mind, but to be clear, I don't think that's how Mori and the assistants are doing things. They seem to be primarily trying to evoke strong emotions and to produce visually striking pages. Which, to be fair, is an important component of a manga. But... It's not what their main objective should be. They are supposed to be conveying Miura's story to us, and they are really consistently messing it up.

Nothing in this episode is from Miura as far as I can tell, so in truth none of it matters with regards to the story. It's just filler between leaving the island and getting to Falconia. Now that we're here, one thing I want to mention is that in his last interviews before passing away, Miura confirmed that he had determined the key moments of the story until the end, but that things were still subject to change. The part he had fully decided on in relative details was the latter half of the story on the Elf Island.

It's noteworthy to me that this one part he explicitly said he had fleshed out was basically skipped in the continuation. A lot of characters (the Great Gurus, Danan, Hanarr, Molda, the Volvaba...) and concepts (Wickermen, Barytes, Daimons, the island's peculiarities...) were introduced with the clear promise that they would play a role in the near future, but ended up being non-factors after Mori & Studio Gaga took over. While they may still play a role in the end game, so far there would be no difference if they had all died.

And now, well we're in the parts that Miura hadn't actually fully decided on yet. The starting point is already, without a doubt, quite different from where he would have taken the characters himself. But beyond that, Mori and team are now having to make things up to fill the (likely numerous) gaps in their knowledge. I would be uneasy with the idea even if it were well-executed, but given what's being produced... It's frankly hard to keep taking this project seriously. It has very little legitimacy left in my eyes.

Anyway, about this episode. The title is clumsy, as has often been the case with Mori. We open with Isidro and Serpico having expository dialogue that does nothing for their characters. Isidro just seems bitter, Serpico seems defeated. It's hard to overstate how surface-level and simplistic the dialogue is. The speech bubbles are also confusingly placed and depicted, something that has become usual. Serpico is shown talking on a panel with Isidro and vice versa, then later on Farnese is talkng on a panel showing Schierke. It's little stuff, but with every release some people have been confused by these. Is it a result of the way Mori and the assistants are working? Or is it just poorly done? I can't say, but in any case the result isn't great.

We learn that Schierke is undertaking a ritual to track down Casca. You'd think they could guess where Griffith is, given that Ged talks about Falconia in episode 345. But Ok. We also learn that "everyone" has to be there to watch Schierke do her ritual because reasons. This is an obvious bullshit excuse that's just there to explain why they're taken by surprise when the Kushans launch an attack. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but it's convenient so that's how it is. Great. We also see that there are people on the ship's deck in the first page, but whatever. Details, details, who cares.

Another thing we learn is that many of the magic users from the island are losing their powers... Why? That's not how magic works in Berserk. Magic is a skill that one learns, as we saw when Farnese became a magician. It's not something innate you have inside you and that can be taken away. This is a complete misunderstanding of the very nature of magic in the world of Berserk. Now, we do get told in episode 345 that some magicians lived near forests of spiritual trees and did "deep magic research based on their enormous spiritual power", like Flora, but that doesn't mean they're dependent on said power. There is simply no reason for this to happen.

We also get told that the group wasn't affected because they were "visitors from outside the island". We've talked about this at length in previous threads, but it makes no sense. Puck was born on the island and lived there for probably hundreds of years relative to the outside world. He's still around. Meanwhile, Isma was the first to disappear as someone who came in as part of the group! And the rest of the merrows disappeared as well, despite the fact they didn't even set foot on it at all. Furthermore, like Walter mentioned earlier, Danan tells Schierke, Farnese and Casca that they have been accepted as inhabitants of the island in episode 364. It's literally in the last episode Miura wrote!

Once again, this is only done out of convenience so that Mori can keep things simple. In short, only Schierke can use advanced magic now. The others are watching wordlessly, and will likely be doing that till the end of the story.

Schierke has drawn a talisman on the floor that just so happens to be the same protective talisman Flora carved into the Berserk's armor to protect Guts' ego from its Od. This makes no sense to me, and is basically just the team reusing an existing design because, well, it's there. Same with having the four elements at the four cardinal points, even though she's not calling upon the protection of the four elemental kings. This really shows how simplistic their process is (i.e. let's just copy stuff from past volumes), and cements the fact this whole ritual is just something they made up.

Schierke is facing the wrong way when she exits her body, and the tree's branches are shown becoming thinner towards the point where they converge (presumably the tree trunk) and thicker towards the ship, which makes no sense. Farnese talks about Schierke's consciousness going into "a deeper territory than the ethereal world", which I think shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the terms.

Apparently, Schierke needed a special ritual to know that the Od from the branches is converging towards the tree? Brilliant. But somehow she also seems to know where the tree must be, and (I'm guessing) that Casca is there. It's quite an incredible leap in her reasoning which I can only describe as narrative laziness. I can understand not wanting to expound more than necessary, but then don't show the ritual at all. Just say "Schierke's found out where Casca is... Near the root of the World Tree!" Especially since Ged already told them about Falconia and the tree in episode 345.

Guts has been left to himself and it seems like no one really gives a shit about him anymore at this point. Back when there were more pressing matters as they were taking care of the wounded and getting away from the island, the ship's captain was frantically trying to get to him, but now that it's quieted down, he's been forgotten. However everybody is gathered in one place because Schierke is looking for Casca, whom no one had spared a thought for until now. Funny thing, though: when the Kushans board the ship, we see one of them just open the door to that room with one hand. No indication that they even had to break it. Guess Roderick was pulling instead of pushing?
:shrug:

The Beast of Darkness comes out of the Dragon Slayer like a genie from a bottle or something. This makes no sense as it's something that only exists inside Guts' mind. Showing it like that from a top down perspective only incites confusion (and serves no purpose). Then it gives off an evil laugh... Really? This is completely off from its usual characterization. What it says is also ridiculous. The Beast of Darkness has no power of its own. It's just a psychological construct. The best it can do is like inside the Sea God, when Guts basically squeezed some fighting spirit back into himself to finish off the heart. And it was essentially self-motivation, just depicted in a cool manner.

Of course, what it says here is merely a repeat of their dialogue from when Guts first donned the armor back at Flora's mansion, except poorly executed. Nothing new, no real development. But there remains the incongruity of this situation. Guts was enraged when he saw Griffith, and that rage is precisely what the Beast of Darkness embodies. It's not like he fought while "resisting" the Beast, which is also why it makes no sense that the armor didn't activate.

It's also not like the Beast of Darkness could have possibly made a difference there, and indeed, even using the armor would presumably not have mattered given the way Griffith's power works. Hitting harder doesn't matter when you're missing the target. Lastly, as I had mentioned the last time this came up, given that Guts is now crestfallen and impotent, the Beast should be defanged and have a broken paw. Above all, it represents his rage against Griffith and his fighting spirit, so for it to be empowered is quite literally the opposite of what should be happening. That's really a shocking misunderstanding of the character to me.

The sequence where Guts grabs the sword is also nonsensical. I thought he couldn't even bear to look at the sword anymore or something? But here he grabs it to slash... at what? At the Beast of Darkness? But wasn't the Beast on the sword? And then we see him enraged and with the "Beast eye" on him, so is he embracing the Beast after all? But then he hallucinates that Griffith is standing naked on his sword, barfs, and faints. And the Beast gloats.
:???:
Nevermind the fact that Griffith standing on the sword like in volume 4 is a pretty lazy reference. At least it's evocative. But the way it all plays out simply does not make sense with regards to the Beast of Darkness.

The Kushans' surprise attack is completely baffling. Why exactly are Kushan soldiers there? These look like Ganishka's land army. Why are they so far away at sea (presumably in the middle of nowhere) and how did they even get there? My guess: these guys are just there to provide some impetus for action, and because Kushans are a known entity, they're Kushans. Isidro and Serpico will no doubt have a role to play given that everyone else is conveniently incapacitated and/or disarmed. And none of it matters at all since it's just filling a gap between two story points.

I will say, though, that these events are really not doing justice to Miura's characters. He spent a long time building up Roderick's crew as capable people, only for them to end up captured like doofuses here just because it's convenient. And it's even worse for the magic users of Elfhelm, who have been reduced to less than nothing. A fate worse than death, not unlike what this continuation is doing to the series.

Never thought I'd say this about Berserk of all things, but I think after this episode I'm just gonna drop the series.

Props to those that end up finishing it. I can't take seeing something I love so much being continued like this. It's not like there's anything of value from this continuation anyway.

Hello, I dont post much often. But i have been stalking this forum for a long time about 13 years or more.

I kind of wish the members/mods of this site try to deliver a messege to Mori and his team some advice since this site got the best studying knowlege of Berserk.

Most casual fans think Berserk is just about a man killing monsters (apostles) with a high quality art. Tho, Berserk is way way WAY deeper than that. Berserk is a piece of art, it contains philosophy, history, politics, society and religious thoughts in a medievel fantasy setting. The characters have their own reasons for their actions which is not only about "good & evil" stuff. Sadly casual Berserk fans only want to see Guts kills Griffith and that's it (which is so blank btw).

Mori's team art is pretty good yes. But art was not the only thing Berserk needs.
The story pacing currently looks so random and Guts panels recently seems so repetitive, he just keep trying to attack, gets sad or broken and falls over and over. (Also why did he vomit when he had an illusion of Griffith?)

The whole thing does feel a fanfic. And as most of you mentioned, there are plenty of new characters that have disappeared just like that.. which is a huge waste.

I was personally mostly excited for Hanarr the new Blacksmith since I liked Godot a lot I thought this guy is gonna be another good blacksmith and it seems like Miura had a plan for him to upgrade the Berserker armor or something. (Who knows now..) but well yeah. There is a lot of messed up things that already been mentioned above and I will just leave my opinion here

Anyhow, I wish this "continuation" becomes non canon. Maybe at least make it a "what if" continuation. Because there is nobody sadly can fill Miura's thought on something he created especially Berserk.

Last edited:
I feel like nothing happened in this episode except the contact with the Kushans. I had hope after episode 372 which I kind of liked (even though not much happened in it either...). I was really hoping for the continuation to be dense and straightforward. Not sure I will keep reading the continuation every month. Not hyped for 374 at all.

BiQ_

" ... "
For the purposes of my own head-canon beyond ep 364 as well as trying to (still) decipher what these Kushans are doing here (however meaningless it is): How do you think Kushan empire and its denizens are in general faring after the demise of Ganishka and the merging of worlds that happened in 304-306? I mean, they couldn't have wasted all of their forces in the remains of Midland and they ostensibly did have magic users like Daiba to do stuff... And the state apparatus of the empire ostensibly existed before Ganishka and it could therefore outlive him?

Maybe this thread is incorrect place for this question but I do note there are (former?) Kushans on-screen so it's at least of some relevance, I think.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
How do you think Kushan empire and its denizens are in general faring after the demise of Ganishka and the merging of worlds that happened in 304-306? I mean, they couldn't have wasted all of their forces in the remains of Midland and they ostensibly did have magic users like Daiba to do stuff... And the state apparatus of the empire ostensibly existed before Ganishka and it could therefore outlive him?

I think it's fair to assume Ganishka took the overwhelming majority of his empire's forces to Midland, because he wasn't just conquering the country but going against the fifth member of the God Hand. Therefore I would assume whatever military they had left at home was minimal in comparison. About the empire still existing: Ganishka had no heir left and I think the empire would have immediately broken down after the worlds merged as various clans looked out for themselves.

As far as magic users go, Daiba was their top magician and worked directly under Ganishka. What the two of them managed to achieve seems rather exceptional and I don't think there were more people of that caliber around there. Therefore I imagine the empire was in disarray when Fantasia occurred, and was not equipped to deal with it any better than, say, Tudor.

Besides all of this, I don't think there's a valid reason for why Kushan soldiers would be so far out in the Western sea.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
How do you think Kushan empire and its denizens are in general faring after the demise of Ganishka and the merging of worlds that happened in 304-306?
It invites a bigger question–what is the state of human civilization beyond Falconia? I think we know the answer. There isn't one. There aren't going to be nations, cities, towns, etc. any more. It's all one big wilderness out there. Everyone's in the same circumstance, struggling to survive in a world they don't understand and can't control anymore.

As many people have said we're just kind of waiting for the "Bullet Points" left behind by Miura. I always thought if there was a major event it had to be something left behind by Miura! So even if I didn't like it something like a character death or a character using a Behelith would have had to be in those left behind "notes."

This is the first episode that made me believe "Maybe they would be bold enough to actually change a major bullet point ..." Things have just seemed so odd, they're really taking their times with breaks, and I am wondering if they think they can "improve" what was left behind or even less was left behind than what we thought.

This is all obviously speculation from a brand new account but as someone who has just lurked before the most recent episode made me toss my hands up and say "Ok, I gotta sign up!" lol

After liking 372, they now release this massive disappointment of an episode. I hate how Guts just doesnt say or think anything anymore. Its so weird seeing him like that. Ever since the continuation, he only spoke a few words. Also the ritual and the Kushan attack felt so random, especially the Kushan attack. Speaking of rituals, can someone perform a ritual to revive Miura?

Anyone here look on twitter at all? It’s pretty disturbing to see each new chapter trending and every single person seems satisfied. Every time I’ve visited the continuation posts here, you all articulate exactly why each chapter makes me feel so bad. What am I missing?
I think these are people who are easily entertained. Like if Guts used the beherit and turned into an apostle, they would be hyped. I wish I could view Berserk like that, it would be great to just look at these episodes and go 'wow, that's neat', instead of getting tortured. :troll:

But I don't think this continuation is overwhelmingly loved or anything. It's probably moderately successful? The amount of discussion around new episodes seems completely dead compared to what it used to be.

FWIW, I enjoyed the Griffith-on-sword. It was one of those 'wow, that's neat' moments for me (even if the callback doesn't really make sense if you think about it). I liked that there's more dialogue (even though it's completely banal), and that Morigaga do seem to be trying hard to improve and make every episode as good as they can.

This episode totally makes no sense to me even if the dialogues are there. Just the panels and how poorly it was constructed is confusing to me, especially with the magic user and Guts.
I found it off that the dragonslayer shows us memories of Guts past in episode 371 and now we see the beast of darkness manifest from it. Now why are the Kushan attacking the ship, it so random.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I forgot the episode even came out this week, and after reading it I see my mind was trying to do me a favor.

Anyone here look on twitter at all? It’s pretty disturbing to see each new chapter trending and every single person seems satisfied. Every time I’ve visited the continuation posts here, you all articulate exactly why each chapter makes me feel so bad. What am I missing?

I didn't, but it's not surprising, or even very disappointing to me. Like Aaz said, they're going for evocative moments, even if they're not objectively very good or just effective in its own right, but to a large segment of the fanbase it's the red meat they've been misbegottenly craving, "The BEAST is UNLEASHED, FINALLY!" Indeed.

Besides all of this, I don't think there's a valid reason for why Kushan soldiers would be so far out in the Western sea.

They have to be affiliated with Silat, right, even if they don't narratively justify it (uh, he filled the :void:)? Either I'm giving Mori & Gaga too much credit or you are! :ganishka: I wouldn't be shocked if it were random either though. The only certainty in any case is it won't be handled very well. :griffnotevil:

Last edited:
They have to be affiliated with Silat, right, even if they don't narratively justify it (uh, he filled the :void:)? Either I'm giving Mori & Gaga too much credit or you are! :ganishka: I wouldn't be shocked if it were random either though. The only certainty in any case is it won't be handled very well. :griffnotevil:

I fully agree with Aazealh that Kushans are here only to provide impetus for action. Acutally the first thing that came to my mind when i read these panels was that this surprise attack will be used only as a lazy opportunity for Guts to save everyone from this ambush so he can "return" to the story in a flashy heroic manner with beast of darkness supporting him.

The more episodes of this continuation go the more its sad and hard to read.

Besides, hello everyone, first post on forum :)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Well these guys clearly aren't from the Bakiraka and they're just behaving like nondescript pirates, despite looking like they're part of Ganishka's land armies. The Bakiraka clan was also looked down upon by the rest of the Kushans and so I don't think they'd readily join them, and more importantly, last time we heard from Silat he didn't exactly seem like he had ships at his command that he intended to send out into the unknown. So to me there's really no way these guys could be related to them, but then again, it doesn't make much sense for them to even be there to begin with, so who knows. :sweatdrop:

To your point, the group does presumably need to link up with Silat & Rickert and I won't be shocked if this is used as an opportunity for it. It might be something as low effort as finding a map marking the location of "an old fortress on the Midland coast" or something equally lazy, like one of the attackers "having heard of" the Bakiraka's secret base. Like you said, the one thing we can be sure of is how well it'll be handled...

the first thing that came to my mind when i read these panels was that this surprise attack will be used only as a lazy opportunity for Guts to save everyone from this ambush so he can "return" to the story in a flashy heroic manner with beast of darkness supporting him.

Hi and welcome! I think the big question right now is how Mori intends to have Guts find his resolve back. Embracing the Beast of Darkness would be ridiculous, but then again so is his current predicament. I feel like Mori's backwards from where he should be, in part because he skipped key developments on the island (and also doesn't understand the character).

Anyway, the safest route is probably just for Guts to get back on his feet for no real reason. Like, Schierke will tell him "I saw Casca, she's being held prisoner in Falconia", and he'll immediately get up and massacre the attackers. Something more ambitious would be for him to first go berserk in the armor and then for Schierke to have to get him out of it, like in volume 26. It should be nigh impossible for her right now, given how things have progressed with the armor, but that wouldn't stop this team.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well these guys clearly aren't from the Bakiraka and they're just behaving like nondescript pirates, despite looking like they're part of Ganishka's land armies. The Bakiraka clan was also looked down upon by the rest of the Kushans and so I don't think they'd readily join them, and more importantly, last time we heard from Silat he didn't exactly seem like he had ships at his command that he intended to send out into the unknown. So to me there's really no way these guys could be related to them, but then again, it doesn't make much sense for them to even be there to begin with, so who knows. :sweatdrop:

In a way it's even harder to predict now because logic need not apply, but I'm erroring on the side of what makes sense most superficially, "Kushan guys... Who are Kushan guys we know? Silat, Daiba, and the Bakiraka!" (this might actually be giving this POV too much credit to actually know who they are besides the "big muscle men," "turban dude," and "beard guy" =).

The readers that weren't paying too much attention to detail or depth before will become the new story gurus while the rest of us are relegated to talking now moot and irrelevant points or, "what could have been."

Kidding aside, Aaz, I do appreciate your ongoing efforts to examine, analyze and seriously try to make sense of this continuation, because Lord knows I don't want to for myself.

To your point, the group does presumably need to link up with Silat & Rickert and I won't be shocked if this is used as an opportunity for it.

Yeah, that's my driving force here, like they have to be shoehorning in Kushan guys for this to lead back to Silat... right? Right!? :magni:

It might be something as low effort as finding a map marking the location of "an old fortress on the Midland coast" or something equally lazy, like one of the attackers "having heard of" the Bakiraka's secret base.

It would be deliciously stupid if the secret location of the secret base of the secret society of assassins was essentially just written down on a piece of paper some rando had.

Like you said, the one thing we can be sure of is how well it'll be handled...

Yeah... :azan:

Beelzebud

[...] Into the abyss will I run [...]
Aaz, I do appreciate your ongoing efforts to examine, analyze and seriously try to make sense of this continuation, because Lord knows I don't want to for myself.
I think this is the only reason I keep going back to the forum. Since we don't have any reason to deep analysis or theories, we don't have the same anxiety for new releases, just being here to see your(every veteran here) thoughs are the only reason for me to still being part of a berserk community. And maybe if I don't have skullknight.net I will just drop the continuation.

So again, thank you!

Definitely a less enjoyable episode than usual. They mostly all sit around the same level of disappointment and then lose points based on how many things either make no sense or contradict past events and characters. The "strangers to the island" one was really bad, as that whole event has been sticking out like a sore thumb. When they have the opportunity to address it and finally explain it, it just doesn't work.

Funny thing, back when the Big Berserk Exhibition was announced and we saw the image of Guts swinging his sword down and the inevitable confrontation between Guts and Griffith, I had actually imagined their "fight" would start with that sword swing leading into Griffith jumping on top like he did in this hallucination. Regardless of how good an idea that would have been, I think it would have worked better there.
yes I feel Griffith jumping on the sword after he transforms from the moon child’s body on the island would have worked better there also, even though the callback to Golden Age seems unnecessary.

Top Bottom