Episodes 365 & 366

Damn, so here it is...New Berserk. I feel they've done a great job. While many parts look at little wonky, you still get quite a few panels and shots that look very striking and imitate Miura's style very well. As far as the content is concerned, It is pretty much what we all could have predicted. As shocking as the initial announcement at a double episode was, I'm really happy we got 2 here considering what was covered. I'm not sure if Miura would have condensed things further or if this is generally how he would have paced these episodes. Interesting to think about.

Two things that really stood out to me, firstly the opening few pages. I really loved the shots of Puck flying by the moon and the astral creatures, not only because they looked great but also because it shows that New Berserk won't solely show the most crucial and minimal parts of the story moving forward. I thought this was a great way to start the chapter and diminished some of my early fears of small touches and elements like this being cast to the wayside. It's obviously not simply fluff, as it is showing the reactions to Griffiths presence and helps the world building, but also the kind of small flourish I could see easily being cut if Mori and the crew weren't putting their hearts into portraying these small moments.

The second was a character moment, and that was of Farnese appearing in astral form and pulling back Shierke. Special for me again for reasons similar to those stated above. While it wasn't like I thought the side characters would completely disappear, I still had a lot of fear of them being underutilized or not have much progression going forward. This was the second time in first episodes back that I was relieved by the inclusion of a scene that I could easily see being forgotten or one that could have been omitted without much suspicion. I really hope these details and beats continue.

Is it possible Sonia is riding on Zodd's back?

I agree, this is indeed far better than I would've imagine. Even though it's clearly a downgrade, it's probably the best imitation possible of Miura's art style. I'd go as far as to say I prefer Griffith's face (and Casca's to a lesser degree) better than Miura's "moe" change in later volumes.

Dude....what the fuck! I thought you were cool! :mozgus:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
The dialogue is... ok, sparse, to be nice about it. I have a sense they're going to move pretty fast, which is desirable, considering they only know the broad strokes of the story. This feels like an abridged action packed Berserk-lite.

Dude....what the fuck! I thought you were cool! :mozgus:
Just personal preference. I tend to lean towards the older art style, in terms of faces. I'm not yet decided on Casca's though, but for me Griffith's face looks better.

One would hope so... If she isn't then this project will immediately lose all credibility.
Yah, Basically meant that 's the only way this could make sense to me . That or it's explained she could have opened a path and Zodd went on ahead. If she's on his back, she has a damn good grip on Zodd with that plunge! I Imagine she's making a really cute strained face like she's on a roller coaster.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This feels like an abridged action packed Berserk-lite.

It's amusing that anyone would think these two episodes are more action-packed than they were ever going to be. The previous episodes were clearly leading to a confrontation, so the fact it's happening here was to be expected. Whether the rest of the "continuation" will more focus on action versus character development remains to be seen. It's totally possible, but it can't really be extrapolated from this.

Yah, Basically meant that 's the only way this could make sense to me . She has a damn good grip on Zodd with that plunge! I Imagine she's making a really cute strained face like she's on a roller coaster.
I took it as Zodd being just eager to go and immediately confront Guts to fulfill his desire for battle. I imagine we see Sonia entering the island on her own pace, or maybe alongside other apostles very shortly after

I took it as Zodd being just eager to go and immediately confront Guts to fulfill his desire for battle. I imagine we see Sonia entering the island on her own pace, or maybe alongside other apostles very shortly after
But Zodd shouldn't be able to enter and navigate the branches on his own. Unless it's explained that Sonia opened up a path or something and he jumped ahead.

But Zodd shouldn't be able to enter and navigate the branches on his own. Unless it's explained that Sonia opened up a path or something and he jumped ahead.
Oh, that's not how i meant it. I meant it more so in the sense that Sonia was leading Zodd and possibly other soldiers through the branches, and Zodd just decided to prematurely breach them to get infront of Guts. Basically just flying away earlier than the intended ending to their travel.

The art is a mixed bag in these episodes. Page 8 and 14 in 365 are not matching the art of the other pages very well, just kinda sloppy execution. Especially page 14. Similar in 366 the first page and the last have some odd things going on. Zodds lower body half is not drawn out and it just looks odd after his abs.
Overall the art is pretty decent but its inconsistent in some places. It is like the quality control is gone and they just said "Yea thats good enough, we are on a tight schedule now".

I dont hate it and I dont love it, I am still happy it is continuing but some of the story issues people have already mentioned here we will just have to wait and see if it turns to suffering and hate :schnoz:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
It's amusing that anyone would think these two episodes are more action-packed than they were ever going to be. The previous episodes were clearly leading to a confrontation, so the fact it's happening here was to be expected. Whether the rest of the "continuation" will more focus on action versus character development remains to be seen. It's totally possible, but it can't really be extrapolated from this.
We'll never know, but I don't think they're more action packed, it just feels there's a lot more action to cover the lack of words. But I actually prefer they lean into their strengths.
I do want them to move fast (these episodes were shorter), tell the story they know, and don't try to fill in too many gaps with their own creative liberties, or I'll be the first to call it a cash grab.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
We'll never know, but I don't think they're more action packed, it just feels there's a lot more action to cover the lack of words. But I actually prefer they lean into their strengths.

Sure, although as it's been said, it all feels a lot less dense than what Miura could do. Inevitable, I guess.

I do want them to move fast (these episodes were shorter), tell the story they know, and don't try to fill in too many gaps with their own creative liberties, or I'll be the first to call it a cash grab.

Yeah I'd rather have them stick to the bare minimum too. It's a question that's renewed in my mind: how long will this be going on? And indeed, episode 366 is pretty short with 15 pages, versus a normal 19 pages for 365.

Lack of dialogue is concerning for sure, and I feel like Schierke getting sucked into the astral realm briefly was a bit out of nowhere, as was its resolution, but all in all not terrible. I just hope the characters talk more next time.

He came down from the branches so it has to be Sonia. I’m not going to be overly concerned or cynical over the thought that they’d forget such an obviously important and intentionally placed detail as her being one of only two that can guide others through the sky path. What I’m assuming happened - once they got within sight of Skellige, Zodd, being the ever diligent servant and bodyguard he is, flew ahead of the rest of whatever accompanying party there is to reach Griffith’s side before Sonia or the rest (assuming there are more War Demons and/or soldiers with them) could land.

Lack of dialogue is concerning for sure, and I feel like Schierke getting sucked into the astral realm briefly was a bit out of nowhere, as was its resolution, but all in all not terrible. I just hope the characters talk more next time.
If anything this actually helped the 1st part of this Chapter? I mean Guts has swung nonstop and couldnt land a hit on griffith having dialogue there would seem cheesy what would Griffith say? Talk a bit of trash? And guts was too mad to say anything

Color me impressed. The art is inconsistent but I think they did a fine job. Reading these episodes however really make me say wow! Miura was a genius! The level of talent he had was beyond words and is noticeable even more now.

That panel of guts looking exhausted after not being able to hit Griffith actually looks pretty cool to me.

Last edited:
As expected (and as formally stated by the team) several things here and there just look...off. Berserk will never look and/or feel the same way again, sobering as it may be--however, I think an admirable effort was put forth here. Still far too early to read the riot act. I'm looking forward to what's next!

Oh, that's not how i meant it. I meant it more so in the sense that Sonia was leading Zodd and possibly other soldiers through the branches, and Zodd just decided to prematurely breach them to get infront of Guts. Basically just flying away earlier than the intended ending to their travel.
Zodds entrance really made me think of the logistics of multiple apostles trailing behind. What are they going to do, just plummet from the sky? Only winged ones will show? I wonder what is going to happen on that front or if it will just be Zodd

Frogacuda

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
The question for me was never whether or not the change would be invisible, or whether it would be 100% of the same quality as before Miura's death. I can certainly see some panels where things feel slightly off from how we're used to. But I'm overall struck by how good the art still is, how it's still better than 99% of manga out there and still impactful. That last part is really what matters in the end; is it good enough to carry the weight of the story? And I think it certainly is.

As for the writing, I think the jury's still out. These two episodes really feel like one and even then they don't advance the story a great deal. That's not a bad thing, I don't want them to rush through it. But it's too soon to tell.

I appreciate this effort from studio gaga, and I am impressed by what they have been able to do in absence of the master. I will keep looking forward to what they do. I probably won't be waiting with baited breath like I did for Miura but I will be excited to read once new episodes are out.

What are people's thoughts that Miura's finished drawing of Guts swinging the Dragon Slayer that was used to promote the Big Berserk Exhibition wasn't included? Would it have clashed with the new style? Out of respect? I think it would have been a nice inclusion and final send off to Miura as it was his final finished art (that we had seen) and (at least seemed) was clearly meant to be used in this confrontation.

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts that Miura's finished drawing of Guts swinging the Dragon Slayer that was used to promote the Big Berserk Exhibition wasn't included? Would it was clashed with the new style? Out of respect? I think it would have been a nice inclusion and final send off to Miura as it was his final finished art (that we had seen) and (at least seemed) was clearly meant to be used in this confrontation.
Not sure if it would've clashed with Studio Gaga's style too hard, considering their heavy involvement in the series, but it probably would've been difficult to just drop that image into the new episode, no?

I don't know jack about creating comics, though, so I could be wrong.

Top Bottom