Episodes 365 & 366

Ok, i'm not gonna lie, i'm impressed with the work they manage to did, they are some panels were i could see the change of style but considering the amount of work Miura put on his drawings i'm impressed at how close the art resemble Miura's style,the storytelling was good all thing considered, i wasnt expecting something at this level, as i said to some friends who werent convinced by letting other people continue Berserk, this is the best we were going to get as a continuation and i hope they dont try to rush things just to reach the conclusion, they should take their time to craft the best continuation they could do just to honour Miura.

That being said i would really like to know what's the opinion from the older fans here

What are people's thoughts that Miura's finished drawing of Guts swinging the Dragon Slayer that was used to promote the Big Berserk Exhibition wasn't included?

In fact, I expected me too that they included the drawing of Guts swinging the Dragon Slayer. It was the first thing that I thought when I read new episodes.

Anyway, these are tweets of a Studio Gaga's Assistent about new episodes.

In fact, I expected me too that they included the drawing of Guts swinging the Dragon Slayer. It was the first thing that I thought when I read new episodes.

Anyway, these are tweets of a Studio Gaga's Assistent about new episodes.

What do you guys think of the second comment specifically?

Can someone please translate what exactly he is saying?

I'm especially curious about the "co-author" part in here!!

They leaked the worst looking pages... yeesh! Like that weird double-page grimace where Guts is showing way too much of his gums for a human being. :guts:

I'm impressed by the art in the episodes, I think this could've easily been just a death knell for nu-Berserk, but instead I'm very much looking forward to the next one. Even the most jaded ones seem at least a little bit hopeful.

The lack of dialogue feels weird, and it's definitely a lot less dense than Miura's work, just a couple of pages and the episode is over... Even if the page count isn't in actuality that much less than in some older episodes.

Is that hair fracture on the DS deliberately being shown after one of Guts's swings at Femto? Is he going to break that thing on Zodd's stupid head? :zodd:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
What are people's thoughts that Miura's finished drawing of Guts swinging the Dragon Slayer that was used to promote the Big Berserk Exhibition wasn't included?

Either they're keeping it for episode 367 or it was not possible to include it from a rights perspective, since from now on the series is officially drawn by Studio Gaga and not Kentarou Miura. There's a panel in episode 366 that looks like it could the next page from it, just from another angle.

What do you guys think of the second comment specifically?
Can someone please translate what exactly he is saying?
I'm especially curious about the "co-author" part in here!!

We talked about it in the chat several hours ago. In the first comment he says that until now, Berserk was 99.2% drawn by Miura-sensei, 0.8% by the assistants, adding "maybe 1%?" as levity. But now it's 100% drawn by the staff, so it can't be perfect.

In the second one, he says Mori is supervising them earnestly, and that he was like a co-author with Miura (which feels like a pretty big overstatement to me...). He's reassuring the fans that the rest of the story will be told faithfully as Miura intended.

We talked about it in the chat several hours ago. In the first comment he says that until now, Berserk was 99.2% drawn by Miura-sensei, 0.8% by the assistants, adding "maybe 1%?" as levity. But now it's 100% drawn by the staff, so it can't be perfect.

In the second one, he says Mori is supervising them earnestly, and that he was like a co-author with Miura (which feels like a pretty big overstatement to me...). He's reassuring the fans that the rest of the story will be told faithfully as Miura intended.
Oops I didn't see that in previous chats. Thanks!

That co-author part felt like a huge overstatement to me too, so much so that I immediately came here to seek a better translation for it to make sure if he really meant Mori was like a co-author alongside Miura!

Honestly it's an odd statement.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That being said i would really like to know what's the opinion from the older fans here

I didn't expect these two episodes to be anywhere close to what Miura would have produced, and of course they weren't. As a long time fan who's spent more time analyzing the series than most, I could immediately tell that everything about it was markedly inferior, from the storyboarding and pacing down to the sound effects.

However I'm not interested in breaking it down point by point or anything of the sort. Clearly this team has tried their hardest to make it as good as they could. It's just that Miura was a peerless genius, and they're not, so even with all of their efforts combined, they're always going to fall short of him. Again, no surprise here. Like it's been said, I think it can legitimately be considered a small miracle that they even achieved this level given that they used to be drawing background details.

With all of that being said, my own reaction to these two episodes was mostly apathy, which isn't great given that this is one of the major climaxes of the entire story. It should have been riveting. I think it shows that execution goes a long way in creating an emotional connection and a deep impact on the reader. Like @puella was saying yesterday, it puts in perspective the "overwhelming power" of Miura's art, and what its absence looks like. What made Berserk unique is gone, and we're now getting mere vestiges of it. I miss Miura-sensei more than ever.

As I stated when the continuation was announced, I consider Berserk to have ended with Kentarou Miura's death, and my main concern with this new effort is to be able to glean what his intent was for the rest of the story. In that regard, I look forward to seeing the next four episodes so we can get a better idea of what to expect in the future.

I do have to say, though, that I really, really wish Hakusensha had not decided to just continue calling the series "Berserk" as if nothing had changed. It feels distasteful and even disrespectful to me. I wish they would change their mind, or at the very least make the volumes clearly distinguishable.

That co-author part felt like a huge overstatement to me too, so much so that I immediately came here to seek a better translation for it to make sure if he really meant Mori was like a co-author alongside Miura!

Honestly it's an odd statement.

Well I'd like to say that there's some nuance to it, but... Yeah, I do find it clumsy. Mori has said that he and Miura consulted each other regularly throughout the years about their respective manga, and that Miura bounced ideas off of him for Berserk. But he's also made it clear that Miura's contributions to his work (Holyland, Suicide Island, Taiga of Genesis) were much bigger than the other way around (completely unsurprising, of course). Really, I get the point: Mori's legit and fans should be assuaged that they'll be getting the real ending. But the wording feels inappropriate to me.

my own reaction to these two episodes was mostly apathy, which isn't great given that this is one of the major climaxes of the entire story. It should have been riveting. I think it shows that execution goes a long way in creating an emotional connection and a deep impact on the reader. Like @puella was saying yesterday, it puts in perspective the "overwhelming power" of Miura's art, and what its absence looks like. What made Berserk unique is gone, and we're now getting mere vestiges of it. I miss Miura-sensei more than ever.
After reading the episodes I just felt sad.... Like the art Is ok but It felt empty to me.

I do have to say, though, that I really, really wish Hakusensha had not decided to just continue calling the series "Berserk" as if nothing had changed. It feels distasteful and even disrespectful to me. I wish they would change their mind, or at the very least make the volumes clearly distinguishable.
Yep...for me " Berserk: Lost Memories" would be a more appropriate title. I'm now fearing for the Berserk Deluxe edition, as probabily volume 14 will collect Tankōbon 40, 41 and "42"

Having woken up and given it the once over again, I will say I am impressed by the visual storytelling they managed on Guts. So I don't have to keep quantifying this, you can probably assume all praise I give it comes with "It's not as good as Miura would have done, but". Anyway, l really enjoy his expressions as he tries and fails to hit Griffith. First it's "Did I miss!?" then once he swings for the back of Griffith's head, he has this look of dawning horror as he realizes what's actually happening, before snapping and going to town anyway. I think that whole sequence is very good, especially with Griffith's aloof, somewhat smug silent looks as it all happens. I just hope the exchange some words next time, though I don't think it was necessary here.

It'll take some time to acclimate to the new art, but after some thought, I think I'm okay with them not breaking their backs to try to reach the level Miura was on. We all know that's impossible anyway, and what they have managed still looks good. They'll surely improve with time as well. I just don't want these guys to become slaves to a story that isn't really theirs anyway, and drag out the publication for years just to make it look "perfect".

I think aaz nailed it saying execution is everything. Appreciative as I am, the episodes did feel soulless and I also felt a bit sad. The way they drew guts, Griffith and casca was not bad but they are lacking the Miura charm and I strangely did not recognize the characters I knew for so long anymore.

It is nice to see where the story was supposed to go but this was one of the biggest climaxes of the whole story and I felt very neutral reading it. What is the point in getting the story if it doesnt connect with you. I would take 2 or 3 more episodes made by Kentaro Miura where all guts does is do push ups and eat breakfast in exchange for a hundred episodes by studio gaga.

To summarize, they did their best, some moments did look cool. Its lacking the classic berserk charm (obviously). Hopefully they improve and story beats land better.

Comparing it to Miura is useless. That's just setting yourself up for false expectations. It won't be the same and never will be, that's why when i saw it i didnt feel disappointed because i try to take it for what it is.

We are experiencing Miuras intent and ideas he had for the future, i get the sentiments regarding a name change, but that to me doesn't change much. With the note at the end of Volume 41, it's clear that Miuras Berserk had reached an abrupt end.

What i cared about with this continuation is that it can atleast revoke some of the essence that i felt prior, with some pages it does, with some it doesn't and thats fine for me cause that's what i assumed would happen. Given the circumstance, i think the output by the assistants is still way beyond what i expected.

If Berserk returned and was 60-70% of it's former self, then it was a success for me. Within the context of Miuras abrupt passing and Berserk being left in limbo, does this really make Berserks legacy worse?

I guess everybody has to answer that for themselves, but i think it's too early to fully judge their efforts based on what we got.

I also have no doubt in my mind that some of these ideas were of Miura. Guts not being able to damage Griffith, Zodd entering the Island, Griffith being a storm, Puck noticing the breach first etc.

The execution is not what it was prior, but even seeing this in the quality the assistants managed to create thus far makes me appreciative nonetheless.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
How are you so sure exactly ? As far as i know you don't know what Miura wanted to do with Berserk, so it's kinda funny to me that you'd say that

Use your brain. We were told a handful of episodes ago that only Griffith and Sonia could navigate the World Tree's branches. That means she'd have to be there to guide Zodd. Simple deduction.

Comparing it to Miura is useless. That's just setting yourself up for false expectations. It won't be the same and never will be, that's why when i saw it i didnt feel disappointed because i try to take it for what it is.

That's for sure, however it's also fair for people to make that comparison, especially given that they're keeping the series going as "Berserk", episode numbering and all. They're the ones inviting it.

I was about to write a post nitpicking the art but I caught myself. I think if I begin to do that I will never stop. Instead I think I will praise what I found pleasant to the eye.

That drawing of guts slicing through Griffith at the beginning of 366 looked great to me! My favorite drawings were actually the ones of guts swinging the dragon slayer. I guess they picked up on Miuras favorite scenes lol.

I think if the team is honest with themselves and are able to self criticize and recognize areas where they need to improve, they will have something very nice to show in time.

MASTER-AMIR

Guts The Black Swordsman
On page 5 of ep 366, the way Griffith looks is intense, it's more like Femto. and page 11 ep 366, guts face.

These two and page 3 ep 365 Aazealh mentioned was closest to Miura style.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
On page 5 of ep 366, the way Griffith looks is intense, it's more like Femto. and page 11 ep 366, guts face.

These two and page 3 ep 365 Aazealh mentioned was closest to Miura style.

For 366, page 5 definitely handles Griffith's likeness the best of the issue. However for Guts I think I also like his likeness better on page 5 than on 11.

I just read it. I am pleasantly surprised. The style emulates Miura well in many ways. It's different at times and I can nitpick quite a few things, but overall it has that deep detail work and the contrast between Guts's fury and Griffith's grace comes across well.
I appreciate the Black swordsman eye coming back at this moment, and the dramatic reaction from the island denizens and from Casca. That said, I don't feel like all that much happened since last time. We don't know how Casca feels about seeing Griffith beyond her reaction to the brand. Schierke and Farnese are surprised and cautious. Overall for a double issue I feel a lack of content other than cool moments

The laziest parts were Schierke's astral view of Griffith which looked pretty basic and undetailed for what it was. As well as the final image of Zodd which didn't really capture the look of him at all. I hope it's just a weird angle and that they get our big furry bruiser drawn right next episode.

I'm sure Skull Knight and Danan will make an appearnce sooner or later. This encounter is sure to draw our heroes back to the mainland, but the question is why? Will someone need to be avenged? Will we discover a new insight into why Griffith can't be allowed to complete his Kingdom? Will Elf Helm now be a target for expansion? What boons will the blacksmith and Volvappa (?) give to the party members to help them on the journey back. 6 episodes doesn't feel like enough to flesh all this out, though maybe it will be enough for this encounter

Honestly, I can't say I'm happy about this result. Kentarou Miura's Berserk is gone, and his art, panelling, and dialogue is sorely missing, I agree with that. I almost don't want to see the ending if it means reading it this way.

The problem I found with this project (through the lens of the reader) is that it's a massive "what if". Mori is telling the story and I'm sure it's faithful, but it definitely leaves you yearning for the Master's true vision, pacing, and illustration. Imagine what this episode could've been like if he was still here.

Regardless, I won't discredit the team's effort, and I do appreciate receiving answers after years of speculation and wild thoughts about Berserk's future. The team is clearly trying their best, and I'm sure it'll get better closer to the project's end. I was not indifferent about the episode, as having Zodd in Elfhelm is something I could've never guessed. We could've died peacefully thinking Guts stayed in Elfhelm and was at peace with his crew.

I'm with Aaz on this one, but I do think the team's efforts shouldn't be discredited. It was pretty obvious from the get-go that it wouldn't be the same without him. Can't wait to see what's next.

Top Bottom