Favorite Berserk Character Introductions

Metal_Bear_Rex

⊂( ̄(エ) ̄)⊃
The introduction of the God Hand members in volume 3. Femto in particular.

Seeing that Guts had a past (and a beef) with one of these godly entities was what peaked my interest. I couldn't stop reading after that.

Chosen Immortal

Blood & guts & Guts & God-Hand
Ahem.. aren't we forgetting something? :beast: The most badass Berserk defining entry sequence blongs to the Berserk armor itself. The build up and pay off make for a great turnaround in Guts hardest fight yet, and brings a whole new set of cards to the table. I recall the author saying " now that he has the Armor, the real story begins" :magni:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chosen Immortal said:
The most badass Berserk defining entry sequence blongs to the Berserk armor itself.

It's not a character...

Chosen Immortal said:
The build up and pay off make for a great turnaround in Guts hardest fight yet

His hardest fight? That's quite debatable.

Chosen Immortal said:
I recall the author saying " now that he has the Armor, the real story begins"

:ganishka: Miura's never said that. You're mistaking it with something else entirely.

I gotta say he makes a good point though, it truly is a badass introductuion, character or not. Grunbeld´s apostle form introduction might be fair to mention here btw. Fuckin fire breathing crystal dragon! :guts: Oh I gotta get home and re-read this part for about the 987,898,698th time or so.

Aazealh said:
:ganishka: Miura's never said that. You're mistaking it with something else entirely.

I seem to recall someone saying something like that too. Who was it and regarding what? (On the other hand its something anyone could´ve said about pretty much anything I guess :iva: )

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
I seem to recall someone saying something like that too. Who was it and regarding what? (On the other hand its something anyone could´ve said about pretty much anything I guess :iva: )
Miura supposedly said it of Femto's incarnation. We referenced it in our interview with him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:

Aazealh said:
This is a deformation of a quote that has been around for years and every time I hear it, it seems it's moved farther away from its original meaning. The source of this misconception is a comment from Miura in the YA n°2 of 2001 in which he said among other things "グリフィスが登場して、やっとスタートラインに立った気がする。" That can be translated like this: "With the appearance of Griffith, I have the feeling that I am on the starting line at last."

This refers to Femto's incarnation of course, back at the end of volume 21.

I know its not part of the Manga, but in the '98 anime where Guts hallucinates in the first episode when evil spirits are hasseling him and emerging from the darkness is Femto. The Classic Theme Music playing, the characters silence and slow wry smile as Guts then charges into nothingness! Legendary! :femto:

K

krzykoopa

I am going to have to say it's a tie for me between Zodd "he is like fear itself" from guts walking down the corridor and the visual to that moment of YES he got him and then the oh shit when he transforms then how he leaves makes him so intriguing and awesome….

AND The black swordsman "It is fitting you should fall to hell while tasting heaven" OR 1st introduced in the anime at the bar either way your like HOLY SHIT

Aside from those mentioned already (of which Void, Skully, Zodd and Femto particularly stand out for me) I really liked the introduction to Mozgus. As soon as he steps out of his carriage with his band of (not so) merry men in tow, I was in for a treat. The way he just smashes that poor guy's brains with the Bible into spaghetti was just...brutal, made even more memorable with his rage face on full power! Here is a guy who just thrives on making people live in absolute fear.

I also really took to Ganishka straight away since his introduction was one I had been looking forward to, since I was wondering who Silat, his men and the Kushan were working for and just who would have the balls to go against the God Hand. The way Miura weaves him initially as being seemingly your typical lord and making him be as mysterious as possible before pulling the rug and revealing just how interesting his powers were and just how insane this guy was, was really cool.

My favorite would have to be Isidro's introduction. :isidro:

Seeing him deal with soldiers using his wits. And then the Kushan come and completely overwhelm these normal soldiers.

And then Guts comes. I think it's the first time since a long long time that he fights normal humans without being injured. Seeing this from Isidro's perspective is awesome. The Kushan have just been established as extremely dangerous and when Guts comes and casually destroys them it screams "HE'S BACK!" to me. It helps remember that to normal people he's really something totally different. Sharing his adventures we kind of get used to it and it really highlights his incredible power.

They come at him. He does not even react, Isidro highlights it. One swing and four of them are dealt with. He has not shown a single expression up to this point.

After having swiftly and easily defeated the remaining ones he simply keeps going and leaves the town.

This not only introduces Isidro and the Kushan, but also reintroduces Silat after the timeskip and puts back Guts in the context of the upcoming arc, among normal humans.

I think my favorite character introductions were Schierke and Farnese. I was already familiar with many of the other characters because I had watched the anime before reading the manga, so those didn't make as much of an impression on me.

I like Schierke's introduction because it made me so curious about her. It made me anticipate finding out more about this cute and knowledgeable little witch.

I like Farnese's introduction because of how my initial impression contrasted with the reality of the character. My first impression was that she was a formidable person with a lot of power. I guess it was the fancy armor and her haughty attitude. LOL Then, come to find out, she is anything but those things. She is mostly just a figurehead with no real skill and she's a very frightened and weak person (at first). This character emphasizes that a person (or group, like the Holy Iron Chain Knights as a whole) may appear very impressive on the surface, but the actuality may be a different story.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JMP said:
I like Schierke's introduction because it made me so curious about her. It made me anticipate finding out more about this cute and knowledgeable little witch.

Yeah, furthermore I really like her development, from someone who looks down on those who don't know anything about magic or the astral world to someone who recognizes the importance of friends and the strength that has kept Guts on his feet through all of his challenges.

Such a fantastic character. Like Puella once said, if only she were a little older, her and Guts might ...! :casca:

I like Farnese's introduction because of how my initial impression contrasted with the reality of the character. My first impression was that she was a formidable person with a lot of power. I guess it was the fancy armor and her haughty attitude. LOL Then, come to find out, she is anything but those things. She is mostly just a figurehead with no real skill and she's a very frightened and weak person (at first). This character emphasizes that a person (or group, like the Holy Iron Chain Knights as a whole) may appear very impressive on the surface, but the actuality may be a different story.

We touched on this in our last podcast (Ep 59) and there's sure to be more on the Farnese front soon. But indeed, her introduction is interesting in part because of the dichotomy between the strong leader persona she presents and how truly vacant she is on the inside during that time of her life. I wonder if Azan realized that about her while serving as her subordinate.

Walter said:
Yeah, furthermore I really like her development, from someone who looks down on those who don't know anything about magic or the astral world to someone who recognizes the importance of friends and the strength that has kept Guts on his feet through all of his challenges.

Such a fantastic character. Like Puella once said, if only she were a little older, her and Guts might ...! :casca:

Absolutely! That would have been interesting. Maybe it would have been more like the relationship that is alluded to between Skullknight and Flora. I like things the way they are, too, though since I think it's because Schierke's a child that Guts has been able to let his guard down with her as much as he has.

Walter said:
I wonder if Azan realized that about her while serving as her subordinate.

I definitely got the impression that Azan realizes Farnese is weak and an inexperienced leader. Since Azan is a veteran knight I think he can pick up on that, whereas some of the other men under her command who came from more sheltered backgrounds and have had little to no experience probably can't. Azan is very protective of Farnese and I don't think that's only because she's a woman (although being the chivalrous guy he is, that's likely part of it) but also because he knows she really does need his help. Azan is cool, one of the most principled characters in the story, for sure! :azan:

I'm gonna cop out and go with Guts'.

What a way to start a manga, by having your main guy fuck a demon in the woods and have him fill her insides with his cannon load. XD

For me the character who had the best introduction was Griffith. It was dreamy like, strange I think. He appeared, looking at Guts from above and then he defeated him. When it comes to introducing characters, Griffith case will be always on my mind. Other examples of atmospheric introductions are of course Guts who was introduced to us as a badass. Then we have Zodd who terrified me when he was shown with bodies of Falcons laying on the ground. Skull Knight creeping in the night after Guts was very atmospheric too, indeed, this is why I don't like how they changed this in movies.

Natt_Himmel

"Just a guy who reads Berserk for fun."
I'd say that Griffith has the most impactful introduction in the beginning of Episode 6. We see this unknown ambitious beautiful man picking up a young Guts and he keep talking about his place in the world and his connection to Guts and then suddenly we see the similarity with Femto. He immediately becomes a person who acknowledged Guts to someone who sees no importance in him. You knew some bad things happened Between them. It sure made me want to read more. :griffnotevil:

If Void hadn't been introduced yet in vol 3 i'd say his entrance at the Eclipse would be the most mindblowing introduction. But my choice goes to Skull Knight, the first time i saw that scene where he saves Rickert i immediately thought he was the most cool character appeared in the series, a non human knight with a skull as a head that not only oppose the apostles but also seems a good natured being. This page particularly caught me:

NXSwjMP.png

Edit: Sorry, i confused his introduction scene when he meets Guts with that when he saves Rickert, it's still the best introduction for me anyway, "In the abyss of despair, only he who stands up with borken sword in hand, peraphs..."

Top Bottom