Favorite Quote?

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
There are so many awesome quotes that could be made ...
For me, there's one that stayed in my head: "When you look at Darkness, it looks back at you"

If I recall correctly, it was Schierke's thinking.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Menosgade said:
For me, there's one that stayed in my head: "When you look at Darkness, it looks back at you"

Friedrich Nietzsche inspired. "Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Wenliinvictus said:
"We have such sights to show you" - Void

:troll:

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Lithrael said:
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Awesome, thanks for the insight. That's clearly Guts' situation with the growing Darkness inside him and demons tempting so that he makes a sacrifice. After all, with all that painful living, it'd be so much easier.

There's also Guts "When was the last time she smiled?". Just too many quotes.

"A good sword, even if it rusts and dulls, has good steel that never rusts left over in the wick. That steel's the ultimate steel. Even if it cracks, if you return it to the fire, it's sure to be reborn." ~ Godo, Volume 17.

I love this quote. It applies as much to Guts himself as it does the Dragon Slayer. Then there is his entire speech to Guts earlier in the volume, which was a damn fine speech.

That was from the DH translation.

“Didn't you say a human couldn't kill you? You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we’ll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand.”

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
With no relation to social status, class, background, whether it suits them or not, people yearn for a dream. Sustained by a dream, hurt by a dream, revived by a dream, killed by a dream. And even after being abandoned by a dream, it continues to smolder from the bottom of one's heart, probably until the verge of death. A man should envision such a lifetime once. A life spent as a martyr...to the God named "Dream".

Matteo Metallo

Veritas Non Verba Magistri
Volume 34 (DH Translation)

"Because people fear the unknown they speak the same words to one another. Because they fear the unknown they distrust words they don't understand. Because they fear the unknown they believe in a doctrine. Because they fear the unknown they reject other gods. People must cope with their world because of the unknown."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I posted mine a decade ago, but here's another:

"In today's world, most people's lives are subject to the whims of a handful of nobility and royalty. Of course, even a king himself can't live exactly as he pleases. And we all disappear in the end, our lives spent, never really knowing who we were. We are all at the mercy of a great tide. Fate, or whatever you wish to call it."

"In life, unrelated to one's social standing or class as determined by man, there are some people who, by nature, are keys that set the world in motion. They are the true elite, as dictated by the golden rule of the universe That's what I want to know!! What is my place in the world? Who am I? What am I capable of? What am I destined for?" -:griffnotevil:

Volume 21 As Guts is about to defeat Mozgus, Guts says:
“If you see God, you tell him this.. Leave me the hell alone!!”
Such a badass moment.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
There's really a plethora of lines to choose from, so I can't say that I have a clear favorite. I do love this one though, from Locus to Mule in episode 291: "This kind of trifle affairs that goes on in this world, it is meaningless already. Soon, the morning will come. The true sun will illuminate the world."

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
There's really a plethora of lines to choose from, so I can't say that I have a clear favorite. I do love this one though, from Locus to Mule in episode 291: "This kind of trifle affairs that goes on in this world, it is meaningless already. Soon, the morning will come. The true sun will illuminate the world."
I've always wondered about Locus's quote in that segment. Is it suposed to imply that he knew about the change coming or was it because of the dream too? But Yes I do like that quote.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've always wondered about Locus's quote in that segment. Is it suposed to imply that he knew about the change coming or was it because of the dream too? But Yes I do like that quote.

He knew that petty world politics were meaningless because the world was on the verge of a radical transformation, becoming one where Griffith would rule as the indisputed leader of humankind.

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
"I was prepared. I knew the journey wouldn't be easy, and not just the rigors of travel. Fighting to protect someone, it goes far beyond a personal war. And it's not just about protecting Casca... because my death will result in her death. I'm used to fighting to survive. But what grows worse daily is the pressure not to die. Have I ever before... wielded a sword so heavy?"

Not gonna play the favorites game, but here's a cool one from volume 14, episode 96:

"It's been two years since the black sun appeared. In a certain forest deep within a mountain ravine there was a monster. It was a dreadful and fantastic spectacle. A man bearing a gigantic, slab-like iron sword longer than his own body...calmly placed himself before the monster."

It's just narration, not a character quote, but I like how representative it is of Berserk, both literally and figuratively. Besides just being a direct description of Guts' character and his situation, I've always had the impression there's an added symbolic meaning of sustaining one's own weight and confronting the terrifying unkown and overwhelming adversity of the world with lucidity and determination, which is something thematically present in the series on many different levels.

Hello everyone, I didn't have the talent to translate exactly the sentance from my french edition I will use the one from a scanlation for this. One of my favorite moment, Godo to Guts vol. 17 :

"You couldn't share your sadness with the one you loved. You escaped to something confortable. By yourserlf you run away to burn your body with your own hate.
Who are you to blame Rickert for it ?
You left the one you loved, do you still have right to seek revenge for your friends ?
At The most important moment, you chose to be alone. To only concentrate on battle.
You're only a sword without a sheath. Filled with scratches and blood stains, with a fatal nick... A broken sword".

The french translation is way better.

"Yield to me, everything" Beast of Darkness

The build up to that moment felt like it began when Guts assaulted Casca, everything that happened at Enoch village... and the the release of all that tension with that dialogue was just insane.

"Your wish may not be her wish"

Absolutely chilling. At that point it was not only Guts' worst fear, it was my fear as a reader and for SK to give voice to it, let you know this has a good chance of going wrong. It hit me like a thunderbolt.

Also when Casca simply used Judeau's name in the latest chapters I realized wow... that is the first time someone has said Judeau's name since Vol 13. I was just thinking "She said Judeau" and realizing how long it had been since someone had said his name

Parkus

Keep pushing no matter what
Two of my favorite berserk lines would be coming from Skull Knight and Judo:chomp:
sf7lq0yckpm31.png

Skull Knight saying "what you see at the end of a journey isn't necessarily a beautiful sight" also is pretty awesome

Last edited:
There is a similar thread, if you wanna check it out. For my favorite line, I'll quote what I said there:

"A good sword, even if it rusts and dulls, has good steel that never rusts left over in the wick. That steel's the ultimate steel. Even if it cracks, if you return it to the fire, it's sure to be reborn." ~ Godo, Volume 17.

I love this quote. It applies as much to Guts himself as it does the Dragon Slayer. Then there is his entire speech to Guts earlier in the volume, which was a damn fine speech.

That was from the DH translation.

I love that speech!

Top Bottom