Favourite Quotes

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
:void: : "すべてわ 因果 の 流れ の 中に" ("Everything is within the flow of Causality").

There actually are already two threads about favorite quotes in the series, but they're both over 5 years old and truly embarrassing. So, I'd rather ignore them, personally.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
:void: : "すべてわ 因果 の 流れ の 中に" ("Everything is within the flow of Causality").

Haha, saw that one coming. Two of my favorites come during the battle against Mozgus on the Tower of Conviction: "If you meet your god, tell him to leave me alone!" and "Fly your own ass to heaven!" (These might be slightly inaccurate, as I'm at work and don't have the actual volumes in front of me).

I also love it when Guts tells Grunbeld that, "monsters shouldn't pretend to be knights." :guts:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Guts in volume 1 to Puck, right before Puck is going to heal him : "Don't touch me, don't you ever touch me...".

Griffith talking to the queen in Vol. 8 : "This is war. There are no spectators seats in the battlefield".

Guts talking to Casca on the hill after putting the elf dust: "But y'know , my flame ain't here. As for me, maybe I"m just warming myself by that campfire for a bit. Maybe, I just stopped in by chance".

"He appeared right in front of me, and he wasn't a demon... but what looked like a human. As if he'd been yanked from before into the present unchanged. I gazed at him and for a second... I forgot to kill him."

S

Saintly pants

The one word that sums it all up:

(Takes deep breath) "GRRRIIIIIFFIIIIIIIIIIIITHHHH!!!!!!!!"

And since i finished volume 11 today:

"MY(CENSORED)!!!"

Just too many to add ...

"Whether it's good or bad, it's so unfortunate to wake up during a dream." -Judeau.

I re-read volume 26 :p and ...

"Then the time for talk is past." - Skull Knight.

"No point in monsters pretendin' to be warriors now ... narcissistic bastard!" - Guts.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I like this-un

"if you long for one thing for so long, it's a given that you will miss other things along the way. that's how it is"
-Goto

A bit long to be only one quote, but this speech of Guts stands out to me:

Look around you.
Focus your eyes...
and look in the shadows around you...
Look at the darkness...
around ME.

You said anywhere but here...
This is "anywhere".
The edge of the world.
This is a hangout for drifters...
Dead parasites that attach themselves to the living...
Spreading jealousy and regret...

A garbage dump for the defeated.
You said it doesn't matter where. This is where you've ended up.
Welcome to your paradise.

When you run away...
...you're not going to find a paradise.
Wherever you end up...
...what you'll find there...
...is just...
...another battleground.

“A dream can be a funny thing. It can appear to be a courageous challenge, but it can also be thought of as cowardly escapism.” -Volume 25, Morgan.

I have a lot of favorites.

The first is when Guts is traveling with Casca but she no longer trusts him (I think volume 23)
"When was that.. The last time she smiled?"
It's stayed with me because I love that shot of Casca smiling. Plus I edited that shot once into something truly horrific (some people might remember that from the edit thread) Kind of hard to forget ^_^

My other favorite is in vol16 when Jill is looking at Guts who just dove into the flames and used a maturation sac to put out the flames.
DH has it as "But he... the man in front of me right now... is nothing so gentle as that!!"
I liked the wording of another translation that went some thing like "The man in front of me now.. no longer looked kind!!"
It just emphasizes how Guts was becoming a monster so that he could fight with the apostles.

I also liked Guts thoughts when he returned to Godot's mine but Casca was already gone. It's not the first time he does it but Guts realizes that by going ahead alone, he had thrown away what he had earned. The friends he earned, and the women he loved.
"...What've I done?
Did I--again. Did I go and do it again...?
You mean... did I lose something.. before I even noticed it again?!
...again!!
...without even knowing!!
Without even realizing I'd thrown it from the palm of my hand..!!
No.. not yet..
--
Not yet!! It's not too late!!
This time I swear..!!!
I'll never lose her again."

billdog said:
"He appeared right in front of me, and he wasn't a demon... but what looked like a human. As if he'd been yanked from before into the present unchanged. I gazed at him and for a second... I forgot to kill him."

probably my favorite quote

Oh very nice, someone will be able to answer one question that was bugging me for ages !

And it is of course about my favourite quote.
I have actually 3, 3 different versions of the same sentence, that I love quite equally, cause it's just so much fun.

This quote is like the very first of Berserk, except some moaning.

Before starting, one should know in France, Berserk had quite a hard time to be published. It was originaly published by "Samourai", who managed only to print the first volume. Then by a second editor, "Dybex" who gave us the first 6 volumes, then again failed. And now "Glénat" who's doing good so far and published 35 volumes.

So thanks to those little publishing issues, we have 3 different translations =D

I'll translate them quite word for word, so you can get the essence of it. Let's just remember this is the passage when Guts is having sex with a women who turns out to be an Apostle.

The first translation looks like this :

Apostle - "I got you, poor worm !"
Guts - "It's YOU who's fucked, and in both senses of the word."

Then "Dybex" gave us a kinder version :

Apostle - "You felt into my trap, my big baby !"
Guts - "It's you who felt into my trap !"

And finally "Glénat" made our dreams come true with a brilliant one, yet hard to translate. It's a variation of an idiomatic expression, the french version of "the biter bit". So the original expression is "Tel est pris qui croyait prendre" transformed into "Tel est niqué qui croyait niquer". My translation will probably be terrible but hopefully understandable.

Apostle - "I fucked you sweety !"
Guts - "One is fucked who thought was fucking."

So, I've always wondered, who's the closest of the original speach ?
I'd be very curious to know what it's like in english, and of course what's the Japanese version.

Berserk.jpg

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
The Dark Horse English version:

APOSTLE: "YOU FELL INTO MY TRAP, FOOL!!"
GUTS: "THE ONLY ONE TRAPPED IS YOU, BITCH!"

I would type the Japanese but I don't know all the kanji. I'm curious about it as well.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Vinsssounet said:
Guts - "One is fucked who thought was fucking."

This one's easily my favorite for how it brings out the poetry of the dialogue. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I would type the Japanese but I don't know all the kanji. I'm curious about it as well.
Apostle: かかったな小僧オオオ!!
天国をあじわいながら地獄へ落ちるがいい!!

Guts: かかったのはてめぇだよ

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
Apostle: かかったな小僧オオオ!!
天国をあじわいながら地獄へ落ちるがいい!!

Guts: かかったのはてめぇだよ

Did she say one of those "I'll show you heaven before I send you to hell" lines?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Did she say one of those "I'll show you heaven before I send you to hell" lines?
Dunno, I'm no translator. Just a transcriber. I'm unsure about that middle line from the apostle, but based on all the various translations, it's pretty safe to say it goes down like this:

Apostle: You fell into my trap, boy!
Guts: You fell into my trap.

But Google Translate's version of Guts' reply is fucking gold, though: かかったのはてめぇだよ = "Took'm dickward" :guts:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Is "dickward" a direction? Like, if Guts were to tell Casca, "Please, bring your body dickward," while pointing to his pants?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Gobolatula said:
Is "dickward" a direction? Like, if Guts were to tell Casca, "Please, bring your body dickward," while pointing to his pants?

Exactly, though "dickward" could also be twelve o'clock of whichever direction one happens to be pointing, or a simple direction like forward or backward. E.g. "Dickward to victory!" or "You're headed dickward to Hell!" Fittingly, in reverse cowgirl position, dickward would be Heaven.

Top Bottom