Food as uniter/destroyer of trust

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I swear, I’m the only sane person in my office when it comes to taste in restaurants. It’s not that I’m snobby (in food anyway), but sometimes I think I’m the only person who’s eaten food outside rural Tennessee.

Like any newcomer in town, when I first moved to Columbia (Tennessee), I asked coworkers where the best local restaurants in town were. But, after their first piece of restaurant advice, I truly believed I was unknowingly involved in some kind of horrible practical joke. I asked where the best Mexican food was. Having seen at least 5 different “El Monterey’s” restaurants in town, surely there was a “good one.” However, I was directed not to the predictable Mexican chain, but to a shady, Mexican-owned establishment downtown, that operated a restaurant out of its supermarket.

I should have known something was up when their bean dip was stored in a Rubbermaid container above the refrigerator. But no, like a fool, I trusted my coworkers' expertise. And, oh my, OH MY GOD how my intestines still rue the day they made contact with the … “tacos” I ingested. Not only was the end result of my dining experience memorable in the worst way, they added a strikingly huge, radish garnish to the top of my taco. I’m not exactly sure what I was supposed to do to my taco and half a radish, but I chose to eat that too.

After that, I should have known. But no. I wasn’t convinced. They just didn’t know good Mexican food, that’s all. Surely they’ll know good barbeque, they’re from the South. Alas…

There are two major barbeque restaurants in town: Stroudt’s and Nolan’s. One is open for 8 hours a day, the other, 3. One has received praise from Southern Living magazine and earned awards in the Nashville area for being awesome, the other is open 8 hours a day. Nolan’s is not only the most elusive and delicious restaurant I’ve ever accidentally eaten at, it’s also the most reviled in my office. SHOCKING!

So, having eaten both Stroudt’s shitty barbeque AND Nolen’s, fully confident in my opinion of the latter’s superiority, I asked one coworker which she and her family preferred. She’d lived in Columbia her whole life. Her choice? Of course! Stroudt’s!

I’ll simplify the rest of the story, since it’s pretty predictable from here on out. There are 2 steak place in town. One’s good, one serves pure shit, dethawed from Wal-Mart. Guess which one my coworkers prefer? Right. There are 2 major chain restaurants in town. I like O’Charley’s. Guess which one my coworkers like? You’re getting the hang of this.

Ever since I made this realization, I’ve found it hard to trust the opinions of my coworkers on many levels, and it all stems from food. I found this an odd and illogical notion of mine, since I’m generally a rational person. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized how crucial food taste is to our relations. Our taste in food is an integral part of our personalities and who we are. On a practical level, how can I REALLY trust and respect someone who prefers BBQ beef to BBQ pork? It calls into question every decision they’ve ever made in their lives, to be so wrong.

Am I alone here? If someone you know prefers to shop at Piggly Wiggly over Publix, are they REALLY to be trusted? (yes, we have both, and guess which my coworkers prefer?).

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
No, I'm totally with you on this. This becomes especially big if you have any sort of health consciousness in your diet, that doesn't mean you're some vegan nut, but you like to eat good food that makes you feel good instead of processed shit that makes you feel like... you get the idea. Then, when you do eat stuff that's bad for, you make sure it's THE GOOD STUFF, fuckin' worth every bite; fine steak, Italian/Mexican homecookin', the kind of experience that makes life worth living in the first place.

Then... well, you have shiteaters like your co-workers. =)

BTW, this sort of judgement call goes for habits like SMOKING too; can you trust the decision making of someone who, when given a simple yes/no choice on going out of their way to buy and suck on addictive poison, gets right on board with the program? :carcus:"

:schierke:<"I heard you smoked those until they killed you."
:badbone:<"But I look so cool and mature now."

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
BTW, this sort of judgement call goes for habits like SMOKING too; can you trust the decision making of someone who, when given a simple yes/no choice on going out of their way to buy and suck on addictive poison, gets right on board with the program? :carcus:"

I just don't like that if you decided to not suck on that addictive poison you're expected to be productive at your desk, but if you do decide to get addicted you can take a break whenever the fuck you want. (or at least that seems to be the rule where I work).

Other than that I think my coworkers eat based on the price of the food rather than the quality.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Griffith No More! said:

I liked smoking! Maybe you non-smokers should stop stealing my smoke! :ganishka:

CnC said:
Other than that I think my coworkers eat based on the price of the food rather than the quality.

As do mine... most of the time. Imagine, if you will, trying to get some dinner on a Saturday night. You can't really decide on anything good so you think you're going to just swing by KFC for a quick meal. Instead of doing that, your 'friends' talk you into going to the Chinese resturant. Not only was the food not worth the cost of a 9 dollar meal, but the fortune cookie was just a message of impending doom. Still haven't gone back yet.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
I know exactly what you mean, being my age you may not expect someone like me to eat out a lot, but I mean where I'm from, food was a major draw, that and liquor. My girlfriend had gotten me into Indian food, and I think it's completely amazing. I love bagels and can eat up an entire bread basket, basically everyday is a battle against my taste buds to stay skinny. I love Prosciutto and almost every Italian meat, even though I don't know what they all are. I love good cheese, you get the point. So I come to Long Island, which I figured should be fine with the whole food thing, since I was under the impression all suburban Italians do is make food (at least we did). However when I got here, there were few good Pizza places, no good Mexican places really, and everyone ate fast food. This was all before I got into Indian food, so as the idiot that I am I tried Indian food on campus, and paid the price. It's been a year now and I know every part of this area and so far I've only found 1 good Italian place, and 1 semi-good Mexican place. We have an Indian place nearby called The Curry Club, but I think it's kinda crappy, and has little to no flavor.

However when I went to Ontario, we stayed at a rural area outside of a town called Barrie. We asked what a good place was and they directed us to some place that was inside some kind of "mall" (but was too small to be called one). I thought "shit, this is gonna be a bad week" but we got there and it had great steak and great wine, so I guess some people can be trusted.

I agree though, if you can't agree with their tastes, you can never really believe anything they say so far as preference goes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard for me to comment here since I don't really have the same perception of things, living in a different country and all. I guess someone having shitty tastes when it comes to restaurants would have me becoming rather distrustful of them in general though. The thing is, I'm usually wary of my coworkers' tastes in everything, and being quite picky when it comes to food myself (not as far as quality goes, but the type of food), I don't tend to pay much attention to others' culinary quirks.

I'm quite sure you're on to something there Walter and to illustrate I offer this: A few years back I took a friend of mine out to dinner, it was this great restaurant I knew that serves local foods prepared in the good old ways (lots of things on spits, others slowly cocking under ashes, things like that). We got stuffed, drunk all in all had a great time. Well, he than felt the need to return the favor and decided to take me to a supposedly good fish place. My alarm bell started to ring once we approached the establishment since it was basically a banged up old barge tied to the pier complete with it's own plank or improvised bridge as they called it. In retrospect I should have fled once he answered to a "How's the food?" with "It's great, so cheap that you wouldn't believe!". Instead I stuck around to get myself "treated" to a fish stew (about 10 cents a bowl) that tasted like attempted poisoning. I mean the closest that thing got to a river or fish is that it was probably made with water directly from the Danube, complete with all the petroleum by products and other nasty shit. Needless to say our friendship was pretty much over after that.

Just by reading Walter's post. (Don't have time to read all posts at this moment.) I, sir, feel your pain.
I'll give you the rundown briefly and expand later on.

I find what I believe to be the best tasting Japanese food. Oh Taisho! in NYC (a 20 min train ride from me). I attempt to take my friends there to let them bask in the glory of this place, they leave and insult me by saying, *whiny voice* "Ehhh I like Benihanas better." Phools.

Now a handful of my friends consider T.G.I.F. to be the best place to eat...ever. :schierke: This fact frustrates me as I love trying different restaurants constantly. Which in my area, the choices are abundant. But no these chuckle heads refuse to try new and better cuisines. It makes me mad. Ttyl people.

Griffith No More! said:
BTW, this sort of judgement call goes for habits like SMOKING too; can you trust the decision making of someone who, when given a simple yes/no choice on going out of their way to buy and suck on addictive poison, gets right on board with the program?

Thank you for making this point. I quit smoking over a year ago. And really quit. Most of my friends smoke. Every once in awhile I try to talk them into quitting. But Ohhhhh do they have every fuckin excuse to continue. One friend of mine. I shit you not. Uses his inhaler before he lights one up. I swear, I'll prove it if you want me to. Another friend quit smoking cigs and started smoking mini cigars...yeaaaaa. Where's the logic? I can understand they like smoking, so did I at one point. But I feel SOOOOOO much better not smoking. Stupid people.

1987_predator_006.jpg

I woke up...why don't you?​

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Proj2501 said:
Just by reading Walter's post. (Don't have time to read all posts at this moment.) I, sir, feel your pain.
I'll give you the rundown briefly and expand later on.

I find what I believe to be the best tasting Japanese food. Oh Taisho! in NYC (a 20 min train ride from me). I attempt to take my friends there to let them bask in the glory of this place, they leave and insult me by saying, *whiny voice* "Ehhh I like Benihanas better." Phools.

Now a handful of my friends consider T.G.I.F. to be the best place to eat...ever. :schierke: This fact frustrates me as I love trying different restaurants constantly. Which in my area, the choices are abundant. But no these chuckle heads refuse to try new and better cuisines. It makes me mad. Ttyl people.
Oh Taisho's pretty good; I only went there once though because I'm always a few blocks down at Sharaku (On 8th and 3rd or at least I believe that's where it is). However Sharaku's style of preparing anything (except sushi) is pretty different from most Japanese places in America.

However, there is one thing I do need to say; I have had the most amazing Indian food at Bengal Tiger in White Plains, most amazing french food at Le Provencal in Mamaroneck (Duck so amazing I wanted to cry), most amazing Italian food at various places and yeah; Fridays, is not that bad. Sure it pales in comparison to amazing cuisine that you can in many cities; however Friday's sesame jack chicken strips are a marvel of cheap culinary genius. Out of any chain, I would say Fridays is the best (though I don't like their idea of pasta) unless you consider upscale "chains" (like Ruth Chris and the one that's so much better but I forget the name...) to be a chain. Point is, in Times Square; Fridays is the best place to eat at ever, unless you consider Jamba Juice to be food.

Also just to get off of my food obsession and into dessert obsession; I had the greatest cake EVER in this Italian place on queen st. in Toronto; I forgot the name of the place, but that cake insured a future visit to Toronto.

And just to be nosy; where are you from that you're 20 mins away from the east village? I know at least in Brooklyn or Queens (or Manhattan).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie said:
Also just to get off of my food obsession and into dessert obsession; I had the greatest cake EVER in this Italian place on queen st. in Toronto; I forgot the name of the place, but that cake insured a future visit to Toronto.

Hahaha, desserts, eh? You're talking to a master here. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Imagine, if you will, trying to get some dinner on a Saturday night. You can't really decide on anything good so you think you're going to just swing by KFC for a quick meal. Instead of doing that, your 'friends' talk you into going to the Chinese resturant. Not only was the food not worth the cost of a 9 dollar meal, but the fortune cookie was just a message of impending doom. Still haven't gone back yet.
Let me assure you, money is not an issue here. It's not a case of me having expensive tastes. For instance, Stroudt's is actually more expensive than Nolen's (and they have less selection, to boot. Figure that out: more expensive than their competitors and less options, still more popular with my coworkers).

Proj2501 said:
Warm peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream and some caramel syrup is heavenly.
That brings up a good point. There have to be some universals for food - things everyone likes, regardless of their tastes. Now, while I don't personally prefer cobbler as a dessert (don't generally like warm desserts), I can't deny it's delicious.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I see we have a lot of connoissuers here.

Quality is definitely important in my opinion. You can't always be a health nut, but you can't eat at any stink whole, well maybe sometimes. For example, there's this one place nearby (can't remember where) called Grease Buckets (Sounds nice eh?). Well they aren't quality, in fact, it might be the opposite that I find appealing. They take American classics like Philly Cheese Steaks and Hoggies and stuff them with fries, extra patties, cheeses, mozzerella sticks, onion rings, chicken fingers, and anything else wonderfully unhealthy. You can only buy one once a month or less if you plan to breathe and walk on your own past 40, but they are good now and then. WARNING: EATING HERE IS BAD FOR THIS GUY NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY: :idea:

In general, however, I've always ate at pretty hygenic and healthy places, and I know where the ingredients came from. I live in NJ on the border of Middlesex and Union county, basically the center of Jersey. When it comes to Indian food, you can find a restaurant anywhere you look in a few towns. One town called Iselin (Little India to us) is completely brown. There are plenty of low quality Indian restaurants, but my family knows plenty about South Asian and Arabian cuisine so I've always been able to find the nice restaurants and bakeries.

Personally, Indian food has always tasted second to Persian and Pakistani food. Plus all of their food has meat in it! Persian food is more mild but hardier and Pakistani food has far more seasonings. Just the other day, I heard a well known tale about the superior quality of Pakistani food. A great chef of the Mugul Empire had to cook for an Indian monarch, and he was forced to leave due to the great amount of money he spent on preparing a simple dish: Masoor Dahl. Later the king and his subjects found their food, made by fellow Indians, completely unpalatable, and commanded that the former chef be forced to return. When he was found and the situation was explained, the chef said this: "This face and Masoor Dahl." He then slit his throat so that he could not be forced to return. It can be interpreted that the chef felt his culinary skill nay even his most simple dish were above the Indian aristocracy who's palates were satisified with Indian cuisine. It only took a brief sampling of the chef's food for their standards to be raised. Wow that turned into a rant.

Well, if you like Indian food, I hope you try the sweets and deserts!

Top Bottom