Forged from Iron...Another view on the DS

I have heard the subject of the composition and weight of Gutt's sword on other websites and this one, people have even said that Iron is so heavy and it would weigh up to 800 pounds, well to clear things up for you (in case you didn't know) that even the finest swords forged like Katanas for example are forged from IRON, like the Dragonslayer, Godo said that he forged it from Iron, it could be steel, because steel is just Iron with no oxygen and the right amount of Carbon (Carbon may vary, higher or lower amounts are added depending on the type of metal you want, e.g. hard, soft, stronest, weakest). Steel can be produced by folding and hammering out the air of a SLAB of iron, or you can use the Bessemer process to heat the metal to super high temperatures to remove the oxygen (something that wasn't invented until 1855). So now some people might want to reconfigure your idea of how heavy the Dragonslayer, even though the thing is still damn heavy.

i think it was stated in another thread how much it would weigh as steel, stainless steel, iron and something else,

i cant remember, im too tired to look  :-X,

but a few people did do estimations in several different materials  :)

- c

I'm thinkin about going to a crafting college in Brasstown NC called John C. Campbell Folk School. I'm gonna take the Blacksmith courses of course. So maybe I'll make a Dragon Slayer when everyone else is making a Japanese Shortblade ;D. Anywho, if I do make it I'll tell you guys how much it weighs.

Jon Schaffer said:
I'm thinkin about going to a crafting college in Brasstown NC called John C. Campbell Folk School. I'm gonna take the Blacksmith courses of course. So maybe I'll make a Dragon Slayer when everyone else is making a Japanese Shortblade  ;D. Anywho, if I do make it I'll tell you guys how much it weighs.

Man, you stole my idea, but i did not know about that collage, maybe i will go there, iv'e always wanted to be a blacksmith and create replica swords (and create swords that i drew), i also heard about a school in Japan that teaches the traditional sword making technique

I think that the Dragon Slayer is heavy as far as swords go, but not HEAVY in comparrison with other things. I think most normal people could lift it up quite easliy, but to swing it around with the speed and precission that Guts does -- without losing your balance -- I think THAT would be impossible.

And still, it would depend on other things... Like the length of the handle. If you could get your hands far enough apart I think you could control the blade somewhat (But still not to any great extenet). And from what I've seen, the handle on the Dragon Slayer just isn't long enough for that.

But 800lbs? Honestly? That is rediculous. That's almost as heavy as my car. This will sound farfetched, but I think at the most it weights between 70 and 150 lbs. Quite probably less, but certainly not more.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
If the dragon slayer was real you wouldnt be able to swing it around.. and even if you were strong enough the handle wouldnt be.. and the blade would probably snap off.

YOU ARE TEH GIRLIEYE MAN!!!!!111

Seriously though, I can clean 375, so 250 really isn't all that much(and there were MUCH stronger guys than me in high school). Just lifting the sword probably wouldn't be too hard; at the NFL combine I see people jerk well over 500+ lbs, it's just that you would have to rely on your lower body to do it (real lifting is all in your legs, the arms just flick the weight up). Swinging would be impossible even for an olympic weight lifter as a result, because there isn't enough muscle tissue to be built up in the arms and shoulders. The bar comparison isn't fair, since the weight isn't distributed evenly as with a sword. Rather, just get yourself two 45's and 10's and 5's on each side to do it, which is pretty easy to get up and hold. Pretty much any high school football player should be able to get 275 or so, and Guts is obviously WAY beyond that. But really, you can't expect Berserk to make any real physical sense so all of that is bullshit anyway.

I've actually thought a good deal about my previous post, and I think the sword be even lighter.

But I guess this means no one believes Guts could actually hold onto it with his mouth?

bph said:
Seriously though, I can clean 375, so 250 really isn't all that much(and there were MUCH stronger guys than me in high school).  Just lifting the sword probably wouldn't be too hard; at the NFL combine I see people jerk well over 500+ lbs, it's just that you would have to rely on your lower body to do it (real lifting is all in your legs, the arms just flick the weight up).  Swinging would be impossible even for an olympic weight lifter as a result, because there isn't enough muscle tissue to be built up in the arms and shoulders.  The bar comparison isn't fair, since the weight isn't distributed evenly as with a sword.  Rather, just get yourself two 45's and 10's and 5's on each side to do it, which is pretty easy to get up and hold.  Pretty much any high school football player should be able to get 275 or so, and Guts is obviously WAY beyond that.  But really, you can't expect Berserk to make any real physical sense so all of that is bullshit anyway.
WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Haha, but really. Swords were made so that the blade is nearly equally weighted. But Guts isn't as of course, his has the biggest friggin blade, so Guts blade would be a shitload heavier on the blades end. So like I said it would be fairly complicated to lift and have CONTROL OF. You confused me, where you talking about benching? I hope not because my freshman year I could bench 315 (only because my dad got me started in the 6th grade). And if your talking about deadlift I used to could lift over 600 around junior year(anyone strong can). But we are talking about swords. But there were weights on the bottom that usually weighed 2 lbs to balance the users control. So Guts's probably weighed like 5 lbs. So if you wanted to be technical put a 5 on the handles end and like 250 on the other. You of course can lift it but try to hold it out there (LIKE A SWORD). Haha if you swing you'll probably go out of control and smack a wall or something.

I like the way you think man, very logical. :)

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
I would tend to agree with Jon.
Now sure If you can easily lift 200 some pounds, then swinging a sword around around if the center of weight is in the hands would be easy.  But condisidering the demensions of the dragon slayer, this would not be the case creating the center of gravity somewhere along the blade.  I would assume somewhere one third the a half the way down the blade from the hands.  Now if you were to compare this with that of a barbell, due to the Fulcrum at the hands, and the center of weight being about three feet from the hand, this can create a greatly increased assumed weight due to the leverage.
Some simple bullshit. ;D
In otherwords it is a damn heavy sword.

Cleans and jerks are football only lifts, basically.
A power clean is what you see people doing when they grab the weight as if to dead lift, but flick it up to their chest and hold it. Hang cleans are when you do continous cleans without setting it back down like a dead lift. (That's what you see guys doing in the under armor commercials, most of the time.) Jerks are when you clean it up, and then jump upward throwing the weight up and putting one foot forward and one back, then resetting yourself in one motion. These are relatively new lifts, that are really popular in the Midwest.(They've spread as a result of clinics) Anyway, I see your point, but I'm just saying that considering Guts conditioning he could easily hold a sword up that weighs 250, since a jerk is locking your arms up as high as possible and I see guys at the combine breaking five hundred.(In the olympics commercials you can see a guy jerk 465) So basically, in terms of holding the sword it's doable, just not swinging it. I just thought it was funny about it being 250, because it really isn't that heavy to hold. We actually are saying the same thing, more or less. In regards to benching, in high school I only benched 315, but I can get 345 on a two set when I do 8-6-4-2 for my sets.

oddly enough i have just determined the weight of the dragonslayer by visually taking regular katana's (i have a katana in my room so i have good estimations) and visually putting them inside of the DS, the DS can hold approx. 84 katanas, guesstamating that each katana weighs 3.06 lbs (approx.), times those two and you get 257 lbs, but you have to remember the handle, each katana is (or should be) perfectly balanced so take 1/4 (approx., definately not right but approx.) and you get 193 lbs approx.

The DS probally weights more (definately more, but not that much) because of the handle and the counter weight at the bottom, and because i used a picture that definately did not show the DS at it's biggest (you know how the size of things in anime and manga changes)

So maybe the DS isn't as heavy as we all thought, anyone else have any other estimations?

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
In this board,
http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2540.0
someone does calculations of weight based upon what metal used and accurate demensions of a true dragon slayer.  The heaviest estimation seems to be 366.74 Lbs Solid Stainless Steel, which is a manifestation of iron. 

I found another good board of the same idea where someone goesinto detailed explaination about the exertion of force needed for the Dragon slayer. :D

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2441.0

dragon slayer = big ass sword = very heavy = guts is very powerful

did i miss anything? ???

- c

ps. damn  :-X

redria said:
i always thought it would weigh around 250 lbs

250 lbs? You must be joking, It is much heavier than that, consider the blade alone is 6ft by 1ft by 0.3 ft and it made of iron somemore?

DarkDragoon said:
If the dragon slayer was real you wouldnt be able to swing it around.. and even if you were strong enough the handle wouldnt be.. and the blade would probably snap off.

Nope i think the handle might be capable enough, its is long (almost 2 ft) and the handle is rather thick in term of its diameter

DarkDragoon said:
I still think it'd snap off.. that blade is fucking heavy.
I think the handle is supposed to have metal inside it. Because when Guts first recieves his metal arm Rickert or someone says "Theres a magnet in the palm so you can keep a better grip." Just a thought.

Demented Swordsman

so I pranked him.. to death with a tire iron!
In any case.. a person that can press 400 lbs one time in 3 seconds has less explosive power than someone who can press 300 lbs in 2 seconds(very rough esimation, but you get the point)

Guts' power would mostly be explosive.. & as with dumbell training, I think his stablizer muscles would have to be well developed to stop/maneuver such a heavly slab.

That having been said, 175-225 lbs sounds right, but I'm just throwing a number or two out there..

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Jon Schaffer said:
I think the handle is supposed to have metal inside it. Because when Guts first recieves his metal arm Rickert or someone says "Theres a magnet in the palm so you can keep a better grip." Just a thought.

Well Im sure the handle is metal, wrapped in cloth. Regardless, the blade is ALOT more metal.. and I still think it'd snap off.

Smith said:
250 lbs? You must be joking, It is much heavier than that, consider the blade alone is 6ft by 1ft by 0.3 ft and it made of iron somemore?
well, since godo is a master blacksmith, that could reduce the weight, and theres probably a hollowed area up the middle for the swords handle

Top Bottom