Formerly passé FF fanboy thread, now miscellaneous (open mic)

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Re: Final Fantasy 7 Thread

In my experiance, either term is tossed around loosely as either an insult, or to be used as a bragging right. Despite my attitude, games have been a major part of my life, especially late elementary school, middle school, and early high school. My ambition since before kindergarten was to make my own video games, in day care I drew video game characters (and even comissioned my friends to help me design a game), and I've developed quite a collection of games over the years. While I may be more of a "casual gamer" now, I feel as though video games have become a sort of competition. From the perspective of someone on the sidelines, it sounds silly, but a fair number of people seem to being playing games these days for the image, and ham up the hardcore gamer appearance for popularity's sake.

I just find the whole thing ridiculous. I play games for the sake of playing games, because I enjoy them, and I feel tossing on labels detracts from that.

Dirty Dog

Scorpio said:
In my experiance, either term is tossed around loosely as either an insult, or to be used as a bragging right. Despite my attitude, games have been a major part of my life, especially late elementary school, middle school, and early high school. My ambition since before kindergarten was to make my own video games, in day care I drew video game characters (and even comissioned my friends to help me design a game), and I've developed quite a collection of games over the years. While I may be more of a "casual gamer" now, I feel as though video games have become a sort of competition.  From the perspective of someone on the sidelines, it sounds silly, but a fair number of people seem to being playing games these days for the image, and ham up the hardcore gamer appearance for popularity's sake.

I just find the whole thing ridiculous. I play games for the sake of playing games, because I enjoy them, and I feel tossing on labels detracts from that.
likewise (although I haven't really played any games actively in a couple of years)...

Alright. I'll never say "Hardcore" again. Its a term that seems to be used around me too much.

I have Alone in the Dark. For Sega Satrun infact. IT is good. I got it on Dreamcast also. I seen new pictures of the newest one also. Looks promising.

I for one, think Sephiroth was totally bad ass. Next to Alucard.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

The plan is that after we get all these people inside the thread, we're going to blow it up, right?

Right!!?

Dirty Dog

"Griffith No More!" said:
The plan is that after we get all these people inside the thread, we're going to blow it up, right?

Right!!?
No. We lock it and burn it down.
Makes cleaning up the mess much easier.

Well trying to get back on topic. I think Final Fantasy 7 is of course the base for all the Final Fantasy games that followed. It also extended to other RPG also. I proably did a lot more for all of gaming than any after it. Well IMO.

The buster sword does make me think if there was possibly inspired by Berserk.

Cool think About FF8 is the Gun Blade. Never even thought of the concept of such before that game.

Man. I love this spell check.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Death May Die said:
Cool think About FF8 is the Gun Blade. Never even thought of the concept of such before that game.

Most likely because its a pretty silly concept. It never really made any sense to me. :schierke:

Dirty Dog

CnC said:
Most likely because its a pretty silly concept. It never really made any sense to me. :schierke:
Well, combining a gun and a sword actually makes plenty of sense.
But it's already been done before. (Bayonet)
A gunblade is just a backwards bayonet (the gun is attached to the blade, instead of the reverse).

CnC

Ad Oculos

Dirty Dog said:
Well, combining a gun and a sword actually makes plenty of sense.
But it's already been done before. (Bayonet)
A gunblade is just a backwards bayonet (the gun is attached to the blade, instead of the reverse).

Really? you want to say attaching a sword to a pistol's a great idea?
'cause thats what it is and its nothing like a bayonet.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

I'm not even sure Squall's or Seifer's gunblades fired like a gun (like the ones used in Advent Children). They just delivered a more powerful strike if the trigger was pulled at the moment they hit an enemy. I don't recall them firing bullets out of their gunblades at any point in the game.

Dirty Dog

Rhombaad said:
I'm not even sure Squall's or Seifer's gunblades fired like a gun (like the ones used in Advent Children).  They just delivered a more powerful strike if the trigger was pulled at the moment they hit an enemy.  I don't recall them firing bullets out of their gunblades at any point in the game.
Actually, I don't think I do either, but then again I usually don't pay close attention to cinemas.

And CnC, you've got a point there, however in the case of a bayonet it is a small blade attached to a large gun; so in the reverse, it's a small gun attached to a large blade? XD (I'm just bullshitting at this point, don't take that argument seriously)

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Dirty Dog said:
Actually, I don't think I do either, but then again I usually don't pay close attention to cinemas.

And CnC, you've got a point there, however in the case of a bayonet it is a small blade attached to a large gun; so in the reverse, it's a small gun attached to a large blade? XD (I'm just bullshitting at this point, don't take that argument seriously)
QXMFQUwy.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Rhombaad said:
I'm not even sure Squall's or Seifer's gunblades fired like a gun (like the ones used in Advent Children). They just delivered a more powerful strike if the trigger was pulled at the moment they hit an enemy. I don't recall them firing bullets out of their gunblades at any point in the game.

Yeah, that's how it is (they can't fire projectiles, just give a mild power boost to your attacks if used at the exact moment you hit). To be honest I don't think the concept of "Gunblade" makes much sense, no matter how you look at it. It was just a way for the developers to involve the player a little more during fights, adding some slight dynamism.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Aazealh said:
Yeah, that's how it is (they can't fire projectiles, just give a mild power boost to your attacks if used at the exact moment you hit). To be honest I don't think the concept of "Gunblade" makes much sense, no matter how you look at it. It was just a way for the developers to involve the player a little more during fights, adding some slight dynamism.

I completely agree.

As for Final Fantasy VII, it was the very first RPG I ever played, so of course it's going to have a significant place in my gaming memories as the catalyst for getting me into RPGs. Is it the greatest game of all time? Most likely not (Tetris anyone?). Is it one of the most significant games of all time? Perhaps, as it relates to RPGs, not gaming in general. As for the DS influencing the design of the Buster Sword...I don't know...but they're awful similar... :SK:

Dirty Dog

Rhombaad said:
I completely agree.

As for Final Fantasy VII, it was the very first RPG I ever played, so of course it's going to have a significant place in my gaming memories as the catalyst for getting me into RPGs.  Is it the greatest game of all time?  Most likely not (Tetris anyone?).  Is it one of the most significant games of all time?  Perhaps, as it relates to RPGs, not gaming in general.  As for the DS influencing the design of the Buster Sword...I don't know...but they're awful similar... :SK:
No, the Buster Sword is nothing like the DS.

For starters, the DS is a couple of feet longer than the buster sword (assuming of course that Guts is around the same height as Cloud).
Also, aside from the fact that they're both obsenely massive, they look nothing alike. They aren't even shaped similarly.

DS is so cool. However, didn't Miura say he had a little inspartion from "EVIL DEAD" for the hand cannon idea?

I really like the Character cast of FF7. I don't think any FF yet has had a better cast. But thats just IMO.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Even in threads as stupid as this, faulty logic has no place.

Dirty Dog said:

They're swords of similar size, use, and technique. Hell, they even look alike, the main difference in design and appearence being that the DS is double-edged.

Yeah, "nothing like" each other.

Dirty Dog said:
For starters, the DS is a couple of feet longer than the buster sword (assuming of course that Guts is around the same height as Cloud).

Not to dignify this assertion in any case, but Guts is almost a foot taller.

Dirty Dog said:
Also, aside from the fact that they're both obsenely massive, they look nothing alike. They aren't even shaped similarly.

By your logic, a kitchen knife is more like the Buster sword than the DS because they share some superficial resemblence. How is superficial shape more important than the overall size, application, and design of the weapon? I mean, it's exactly why weapons are similar or not.

Death May Die said:
However, didn't Miura say he had a little inspartion from "EVIL DEAD" for the hand cannon idea?

NO

Death May Die said:
I really like the Character cast of FF7. I don't think any FF yet has had a better cast. But thats just IMO.

Whew, I was afraid it was a fact for a second.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Death May Die said:
Name one Final Fantasy Character Cooler than Sephiroth. LOL :void:

Thats like asking for the toughest sissy.

Final Fantasy:
Where the women are women and the men are women, too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

That "blowing up the thread and the people inside it" idea is getting more attractive by the minute.

Dirty Dog said:

"The Gunblade concept makes perfect sense, it's just like a bayonet!"

This just keeps getting better. What's next? Automobiles are nothing like cars and a stronghold is very different from a fortress? But planes and rockets, same thing. They fly in the air. :carcus:

Death May Die said:
However, didn't Miura say he had a little inspartion from "EVIL DEAD" for the hand cannon idea?

Definitely not. Berserk doesn't draw any inspiration from "Evil Dead."

Dirty Dog

Aazealh said:
That "blowing up the thread and the people inside it" idea is getting more attractive by the minute.

"The Gunblade concept makes perfect sense, it's just like a bayonet!"

This just keeps getting better. What's next? Automobiles are nothing like cars and a stronghold is very different from a fortress? But planes and rockets, same thing. They fly in the air. :carcus:

The Gun Blade is very much like a Bayonet.
Ashley from Wild Arms 2: http://www.rpgland.com/wallpapers/wildarms/wa22.jpg
notice his weapon. It looks a bit like a Gun Blade (and is used as a sword more often than it is a gun), and it is called a "Bayonet".

Aside from the fact that both are rediculously large, the Buster Sword is nothing like the DS.

Cloud with Buster Sword: http://www.cloud-strife.net/pictures/cloud.jpg
if you look, (proportionately to the wielder) the Dragon Slayer is longer, while the Buster Sword is wider and thinner. The DS is bladed on both sides (like a Broadsword), the Buster Sword is only bladed on one side (like a meat cleaver).
The only resemblance is the fact that they're both huge.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Dirty Dog said:
The Gun Blade is very much like a Bayonet.

No it's not, don't try so hard when you know it's ridiculous to insist.

Dirty Dog said:
Aside from the fact that both are rediculously large, the Buster Sword is nothing like the DS.

Sure it's pretty much like it. Guess you didn't read Griffith's post or something? Man, everybody knows FF7's creators totally ripped Berserk off to make the game, where have you been? :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos

We've come to arguing about whether or not the DS looks like Cloud's DS?

Man these Final Fantasy threads turn to shit faster than anything in recent memory.

Thoughts on Final Fantasy VII...

I loved it when it was released. Now I'm just kind of hoping Square-Enix will let the cash cow die. As much of a Vincent fan I was, Dirge killed it for me.

Winde, only slightly devastated.  :judo:

Top Bottom