Game of Thrones TV [spoilers]

The other thing ... why doesn't Arya's direwolf come back to her (at any point) after she threw the rock at it? Maybe the wolf pops up in the second season during her travel to the Night's Watch.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
For some reason I enjoyed Tyrions chapters the most because of Bronn. I was hoping he got his own POV. That sucks :puck:
Nevertheless, he still has some awesome scenes in Clash of Kings. And the events you hear about in Books 3-4 relating to him are pretty hilarious/awesome too. He's a genuine, pragmatic badass.

The other thing ... why doesn't Arya's direwolf come back to her (at any point) after she threw the rock at it? Maybe the wolf pops up in the second season during her travel to the Night's Watch.
Basically, she sent it away, albeit against her will. And it received the message. But the wolf still has a role to play in the series.

Oburi

All praise Grail
frankencowx said:
Yeah the production level was pretty crazy even for HBO. Following some stuff on season 2 it looks like its shaping up nicely. I hope they dumb down the Renly queerness for the second installment.

Yea I agree. Some of the gay stuff seemed to go a little further than it needed to. Not that there was a lot, and not that it was that graphic, but it still seemed unnecessary.

Come to think of it there wasn't anything cheesy on the show, none of the deaths even.

Yea it's at all cheesy. I was shocked when Ned Stark was beheaded. I didn't know how intense the show was until that point. There's a lot of characters in the series but halfway through it's like a character dies every episode, and it's pretty shocking. And about Tyrion, he's my favorite character. That actor just steals every scene.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Yea I agree. Some of the gay stuff seemed to go a little further than it needed to. Not that there was a lot, and not that it was that graphic, but it still seemed unnecessary.
It's also 90% fabricated. Renly's interest in men was only every alluded to subtextually. It was never overt, and there was certainly never a scene between him and a male, like there is in the TV series. I thought that was some clumsy shit, myself.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
It's also 90% fabricated. Renly's interest in men was only every alluded to subtextually. It was never overt, and there was certainly never a scene between him and a male, like there is in the TV series. I thought that was some clumsy shit, myself.

Well, it is HBO. I think Game Of Thrones will go the way of Boardwalk Empire for it's second season. Basically the first season of Boardwalk was graphic with it's sex/nudity (both gay and straight) and violence, sometimes to the point where it feels like it was put in just to be "edgy". The second season however seemed to have none or very little of that, it seemed much more focused and story oriented. I think now that Game Of Thrones is clearly successful the second season will have less edgy shit put in just because "its not tv it's hbo lol". This is just wild speculation on my part obviously but I'm positive season two will be even better.

Walter said:

Word. They barely hinted at in the books, as opposed to the "HI I'M RENLY AND I LIKE IT WHEN MEN TUG ON MY TEETS" in your face version of HBO. Ruined what otherwise was a cool character.

H

hellrasinbrasin

I watched, the 1st Series; its got a high production behind it; but I'm more a fan of the books than the adaptation.
I have a similar stand with the Southern Vampire Chronicle Books vs the adaptation (True Blood)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
I watched, the 1st Series; its got a high production behind it; but I'm more a fan of the books than the adaptation.
I have a similar stand with the Southern Vampire Chronicle Books vs the adaptation (True Blood)

What's your stand on Berserk? :daiba:

H

hellrasinbrasin

I enjoy the books, and I liked the TV Series from the 90's; but it was an unfinished story. Which is why, I look forward to this new adaptation; so at "least" this time round the track the story will advance beyond "The Golden Age Arc".

But back on topic

Does anyone know, when Book V : A Dance With Dragons; comes out in Paperback format?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
Does anyone know, when Book V : A Dance With Dragons; comes out in Paperback format?
Should be around now. It depends on the publisher but it's normally between 6-9 months between the format releases. I tried searching for release dates between Feast for Crows formats, but couldn't find any hard numbers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
at "least" this time round the track the story will advance beyond "The Golden Age Arc".

Hopefully it will. We'll see about that once the trilogy's been released.

H

hellrasinbrasin

At least the 9th episode of Season 2
"Battle of Blackwater" is going to be long by a full 60 Minutes at least

Oburi said:
I don't get it? All the episodes are 60 minutes.

I think hellraisinbrasin means 60 minutes of CONTENT. As with all HBO shows, the producers have a little leeway as far as exactly how long they want a show's episode to be. Some GoT episodes were 52 minutes, others were 58, etc. :guts:

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
The important part is that it won't be a short self-contained sequence in an episode. It will, I assume, span the length of one whole episode, with various cuts to other doings. I won't go into details so as not to spoil it for non-readers, but so far it's sounding pretty faithful to A Clash of Kings. Martin himself wrote Episode 9. I'm excited!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ahhh, in that case it's pretty cool. And yes as a reminder keep all book related spoilers out of this thread. I've been reading some other stuff online and people who have read the books keep trying to spoil stuff. Luckily I've heard so many exaggerated things that I don't know whats real or whats fake.

I'm not planning on reading the books yet, if ever. The tv show is what originally blew me away and I feel that reading the books at this point would take away some of that magic (and I hate jumping on the bandwagon like that too).

H

hellrasinbrasin

That is true. I just wrapped up re-reading the 1st 3 novels. A Feast of Crows & A Dance With Dragons are in my opinion best viewed as a whole.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I just pre-ordered my dvd set with an amazon card I got for Christmas. Was 35 plus two day delivery and will be out March 6. This is dvd set worth owning. The packaging looks fantastic. Only bad part is the blu-ray gets extra special features, which i think is bullshit.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Oburi said:
I just pre-ordered my dvd set with an amazon card I got for Christmas. Was 35 plus two day delivery and will be out March 6. This is dvd set worth owning. The packaging looks fantastic. Only bad part is the blu-ray gets extra special features, which i think is bullshit.

And that is the reason why I stick to Blu-Ray for Tv-Series Box Sets.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Here's something to warm you up until April 1st.

Season 2 (Summaries Mild Spoilers + New Cast)

Episode #11: “The North Remembers”

Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 1 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)

As Robb Stark and his northern army continue the war against the Lannisters, Tyrion arrives in King’s Landing to counsel Joffrey and temper the young king’s excesses. On the island of Dragonstone, Stannis Baratheon plots an invasion to claim his late brother’s throne, allying himself with the fiery Melisandre, a strange priestess of a stranger god. Across the sea, Daenerys, her three young dragons and khalasar trek through the Red Waste in search of allies, or water. In the North, Bran presides over a threadbare Winterfell, while beyond the Wall, Jon Snow and the Night’s Watch must shelter with a devious wildling. Written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; directed by Alan Taylor.

Episode #12: “The Night Lands”

Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 8 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)

In the wake of a bloody purge in the capital, Tyrion chastens Cersei for alienating the king’s subjects. On the road north, Arya shares a secret with Gendry, a Night’s Watch recruit. With supplies dwindling, one of Dany's scouts returns with news of their position. After nine years as a Stark ward, Theon Greyjoy reunites with his father Balon, who wants to restore the ancient Kingdom of the Iron Islands. Davos enlists Salladhor Saan, a pirate, to join forces with Stannis and Melisandre for a naval invasion of King’s Landing. Written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; directed by Alan Taylor.

Episode #13: “What Is Dead May Never Die”

Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 15 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)

At the Red Keep, Tyrion plots three alliances through the promise of marriage. Catelyn arrives in the Stormlands to forge an alliance of her own. But King Renly, his new wife Margaery and her brother Loras Tyrell have other plans. At Winterfell, Luwin tries to decipher Bran’s dreams. Written by Bryan Cogman; directed by Alik Sakharov.

Episode #14: “Garden of Bones”

Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 22 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)

Joffrey punishes Sansa for Robb’s victories, while Tyrion and Bronn scramble to temper the king’s cruelty. Catelyn entreats Stannis and Renly to forego their ambitions and unite against the Lannisters. Dany and her exhausted khalasar arrive at the gates of Qarth, a prosperous city with strong walls and rulers who greet her outside them. Tyrion coerces a queen’s man into being his eyes and ears. Arya and Gendry are taken to Harrenhal, where their lives rest in the hands of “The Mountain,” Gregor Clegane. Davos must revert to his old ways and smuggle Melisandre into a secret cove. Written by Vanessa Taylor; directed by David Petrarca.

Episode #15: “The Ghost of Harrenhal”

Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 29 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)

The end of the Baratheon rivalry drives Catelyn to flee and Littlefinger to act. At King’s Landing, Tyrion’s source alerts him to Joffrey’s flawed defense plan and a mysterious secret weapon. Theon sails to the Stony Shore to prove he’s worthy to be called Ironborn. In Harrenhal, Arya receives a promise from Jaqen H’ghar, one of three prisoners she saved from the Gold Cloaks. The Night’s Watch arrive at the Fist of the First Men, an ancient fortress where they hope to stem the advance of the wildling army. Written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; directed by David Petrarca.

:: New Cast ::

Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon – the late King Robert’s younger brother and true heir to the Iron Throne
Carice van Houten as Lady Melisandre – Stannis’ closest advisor and Priestess of R’hllor the Lord of Light
Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth – the Onion Knight. Ex-smuggler and now a knight in the service of Stannis
Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell – noble born of the powerful Tyrell family, engaged in a political marriage to Renly Baratheon

Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth – known as Brienne the Beauty because of her ugliness, although she could cut any man to pieces. Wants to join Renly’s “Rainbow Guard”

Karl Davies as Alton Lannister – a new character for the show, many fans are guessing he will replace Cleos Frey from the books – Jaime’s cousin and fellow prisoner of the Starks

Nonso Anozie as Xaro Xhoan Daxos – a merchant prince of the city of Qarth. He will offer to aid Daenerys in her quest to return to Westeros – although not without a price

Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen H’ghar – a mysterious assassin who helps Ayra in her quest to return home this season
Gemma Whelan as Yara Greyjoy – named Asha in the books, she is Theon’s elder sister and a formidable warrior
Patrick Malahide as Balon Greyjoy – Theon’s aging father, self styled King of the Iron Islands
Oona Chaplin as Jeyne Westerling – the love interest of Robb Stark, despite his political betrothal to one of the Freys
John Stahl as Rickard Karstark – a powerful northern lord and one of Robb’s bannermen
Michael McElhatton as Roose Bolton – another of Robb’s bannerman, a particularly nasty fellow
Robert Pugh as Craster – a nasty wildling from beyond the wall. He has nineteen wives, most of whom are also his daughters. Mysteriously has no sons…

Hannah Murray as Gilly – one of Craster’s wives/daughters – pregnant with his child and fearful because it may be a boy.
Rose Leslie as Ygritte – a wildling who plays a big part in John Snow’s story in books two and three
Simon Armstrong as Qhorin Halfhand – a legendary warrior of the Nightswatch

Top Bottom