Game of Thrones TV [spoilers]

Delta Phi said:
I haven't seen trailers for this coming season, but I get the feeling this will be the season that does the most damage to the fan base. A Feast For Crows was a pretty boring book to wade through.

Then there's this...
http://www.cnet.com/news/the-sixth-game-of-thrones-book-wont-be-released-in-2015/

Seems like this series will really start to take turns from Martin's vision. Only the broadest strokes will likely be the same. Could be more interesting that way.

Its not so surprising that the shows executive producers would be utilizing the broadstrokes of content from the as yet unpublished last 2 books to the ASOIF Series. Series V & VI will be trimmed down iterations of book 4a A Feast of Crows & 4b A Dance With Dragons while incorporating broadstrokes of books v and vi into series v & vi leaving room for the show runners to give an original ending to the series preceding the books ending.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
VengeanceQuest982 said:
Its not so surprising that the shows executive producers would be utilizing the broadstrokes of content from the as yet unpublished last 2 books to the ASOIF Series. Series V & VI will be trimmed down iterations of book 4a A Feast of Crows & 4b A Dance With Dragons while incorporating broadstrokes of books v and vi into series v & vi leaving room for the show runners to give an original ending to the series preceding the books ending.

Imagine if this is what happened with Berserk. Would you want to see the "executive producers" version of the ending first...?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Seeing as how I'm not into the books at all and have no intention of ever reading them, I'll admit after that trailer I'm pretty pumped for this new season.

Walter said:
Imagine if this is what happened with Berserk. Would you want to see the "executive producers" version of the ending first...?

Okay I'll entertain this hypothetical question from you Walter. Lets say Berserk as a series has been readapted as Fullmetal Alchemist had been but has only been on the air for a few seasons. And that during its current season the show runners release a press statement that the series will end within 2 seasons. The show runners use broadstrokes of what Miura intends the closing episodes for Berserk to be and it ends up being a decent series finale would you later rate the tv series ending lower than the books ending or say they're a close tie.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't trust anyone but the author to tell their story correctly. And I just think it's strange that a fan of the original work, invested in the story, would happily have the ending effectively spoiled because of a TV show's production schedule.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Walter said:

Ugh, I had some hopes that the TV series wouldn't disappoint me with their take on things, but when you frame it like that...
I don't know if I want to watch the show anymore. At least not until after the books are finished and I've read them.

On that note, imagine if you were Martin and everyone preferred the show's ending to your own. :sad:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Delta Phi said:
Ugh, I had some hopes that the TV series wouldn't disappoint me with their take on things, but when you frame it like that...
I don't know if I want to watch the show anymore. At least not until after the books are finished and I've read them.

On that note, imagine if you were Martin and everyone preferred the show's ending to your own. :sad:

I actually prefer the show over the books.

Johnstantine said:
I actually prefer the show over the books.

That's what I'm saying. I look forward to the show, but there is no way I'll read another one of his books. We all have our opinions and that show brought this series more attention than it deserves. Martin, one would think, should be overseeing the storyline/ending either way. I've never read a story where the writer throws in so many shockers.
The ending will prob leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bandofthehawk (Salem) said:
We all have our opinions and that show brought this series more attention than it deserves.

I thought the books were overrated back when I read them (a long time ago), which is why I don't bother with the show.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
From what little I've read of the books and what else I know of them I don't have a problem with the show essentially going solo with a loose Martin outline. That's almost what they've been doing already and not necessarily for the worse as far as the later books are concerned (where boring prologues seem to take as much time as a trip from Winterfell to King's Landing). If I really wanted to read Game of Thrones I'd probably read The Accurssed Kings instead.

Season 5 UPDATE:

So, this season has largely regressed compared to the last and been mediocre at best, and it's worst quite possibly the worst in the series (even the fighting sucked), until last Sunday, when, as you might have heard, it had the BEST. EPISODE. EVER! Or maybe not, but by the end it was pretty great and kept going beyond expectations. There was at least three points where I thought it was going to stop, and I would have happily settled for that, but it just kept on rolling: past the point any other episode would have ended, past the surprise of that, past the rest of the TV series, past the books (literally), and, like I said, past any such expectations I had for the show at this point. If they can keep that up for two more hours, this season will change the way I look at the preceding and be be a net win, more uneven than the last to be sure, but a win nonetheless. So, they'll probably wrap it up with a gang rape montage instead.

...Yeah it's essentially this the show runners will finish the rest of ADWD in 2 Sunday's for the current series leaving the rest of the series to be made from the broadstrokes of the author's manuscript for the books.

Griffith

VengeanceQuest982 said:
...Yeah it's essentially this the show runners will finish the rest of ADWD in 2 Sunday's for the current series leaving the rest of the series to be made from the broadstrokes of the author's manuscript for the books.

It's fun to imagine they're just going to do it based on an outline they got Martin to scribble on a bar napkin one night, but considering his cooperation and investment in the show I don't think they're going to have to guess too much (it might even be easier from here on out). Then again, since they apparently already know the ending they may decide to arrive there in their own fashion (and Martin will always have the advantage of changing his mind, anyway =). We won't really know, even when the show's over, until Martin manages to churn out another 2-4000 finished pages, and God knows how many years later that will be.

I've read them and I found them interesting but they are quite heavy going. I can understand what show runners are doing with most of the characters mixing them with other ones from the book to get it smaller in the show, but what I can't stand is they are obsessed with finishing the show in 7 seasons when they could have easily slowed the pace while at least Martin finishes 6th book.

There's the books and there's the show. How about a musical?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7xO5P3Az4

m said:
There's the books and there's the show. How about a musical?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7xO5P3Az4

Ugh, Jon Snow is SO annoying.

Griffith said:
Season 5 UPDATE:

So, this season has largely regressed compared to the last and been mediocre at best, and it's worst quite possibly the worst in the series (even the fighting sucked), until last Sunday, when, as you might have heard, it had the BEST. EPISODE. EVER! Or maybe not, but by the end it was pretty great and kept going beyond expectations. There was at least three points where I thought it was going to stop, and I would have happily settled for that, but it just kept on rolling: past the point any other episode would have ended, past the surprise of that, past the rest of the TV series, past the books (literally), and, like I said, past any such expectations I had for the show at this point. If they can keep that up for two more hours, this season will change the way I look at the preceding and be be a net win, more uneven than the last to be sure, but a win nonetheless. So, they'll probably wrap it up with a gang rape montage instead.

Couldn't agree more. This season's pretty slow and up until last week's episode, it had no real highlights. I watched the 2nd episode of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell last night and in comparison, there's so much story telling in that in comparison to this big, heavy weight of a show. I feel the same about TWD too where they're just slowing things down to milk it. Coming back to the last episode,
there's an obvious bias towards Jon Snow ... the Whitewalker easily killed the Wildling Jon was with. 2 quick strokes and dead. And instead, he toys with Jon rather than giving him a quick fatal blow whenever he's down. As someone who doesn't like Jon's character at all, seeing that play out the way it did was annoying. When I saw those Whitewalkers on their horses on top of the cliff, couldn't help but think of Skull Knight.

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
Couldn't agree more. This season's pretty slow and up until last week's episode, it had no real highlights.

Yeah, until the end of the seventh episode and last week's the only stand out moment stood out for the wrong reasons. :ganishka:

I do think there's been a surge in a segment of the show's viewers, and many that don't watch (I love hearing from the people that aren't going to watch =), that are now single issue viewers that only follow the show to complain about the elements of it that offend their fragile, and often arbitrary, sensibilities; whether it be depictions of violence against children or more recently rape. "I'm not watching Thrones anymore!" is the TV twitter political equivalent of, "I'm moving to Canada!"

IncantatioN said:
I watched the 2nd episode of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell last night and in comparison, there's so much story telling in that in comparison to this big, heavy weight of a show. I feel the same about TWD too where they're just slowing things down to milk it.

I think the irony with Thrones is that they're actually speeding things up dramatically and taking tons of shortcuts, with some obvious ill effects (the Dorne plot is a useless travesty), but they're certainly not milking it. If they wanted to they could have dragged all this stuff out forever rather than combining or truncating so many storylines and themes from two uneven, laborious books.

IncantatioN said:
Ugh, Jon Snow is SO annoying.
IncantatioN said:
Coming back to the last episode, there's an obvious bias towards Jon Snow ...
the Whitewalker easily killed the Wildling Jon was with. 2 quick strokes and dead. And instead, he toys with Jon rather than giving him a quick fatal blow whenever he's down.
As someone who doesn't like Jon's character at all, seeing that play out the way it did was annoying.

It sounds like you have the bias where Jon Snow is concerned. =) I mean, I know what you mean about him and Kit Harington's portrayel, but I think he's really come into his own the last two seasons, and he's the only character I find myself purely rooting for without reservation. At times he's verged on being a would-be boy hero like Robb (
most recently his unlikely and rushed election
), but he's basically become selfless old Noble Ned 2.0, speaking truth to power and courageously doing what's right even when it means almost certain death, let alone whether or not it's in his best interests. And c'mon,
his willfully turning down the Stark name and
this didn't do anything for you: Spoilers up to Season 5, Episode 3

Ned, is that you?

IncantatioN said:
When I saw those Whitewalkers on their horses on top of the cliff, couldn't help but think of Skull Knight.

:SK: :SK: :badbone: :SK: :SK:

Griffith said:
"I'm not watching Thrones anymore!" is the TV twitter political equivalent of, "I'm moving to Canada!"
:ganishka:

I think the irony with Thrones is that they're actually speeding things up dramatically and taking tons of shortcuts, with some obvious ill effects (the Dorne plot is a useless travesty), but they're certainly not milking it. If they wanted to they could have dragged all this stuff out forever rather than combining or truncating so many storylines and themes from two uneven, laborious books.
I watched this Sunday's episode and you're right about the pacing because a friend told me about
what happened to Shireen - it hasn't happened in the books yet
which means a lot of book readers waiting on the books and watching the show got potentially spoiled? Has more of that happened up until this point in the show? But man, that part of the episode was just bruuuuuutal.
Her screams were ... oouuff. And it was a powerful moment to see an emotionless Stannis stand his ground, stick with his bold choice when the Mom, in comparison, wanted to save her child in the end. I felt the editing/ pacing/ placement of that scene was weird though because it would've felt natural for the episode to have ended with that rather than have the slave-fights-Drogon's come at me bro scene, etc. follow it, I was still recovering from Shireen's death and couldn't care much for what followed if that makes any sense.

The fight choreography was pretty unconvincing, for the first time? And isn't Drogon supposed to be bigger than that?! When he flew by in episode 2 or 3 or whenever and met mommy on the balcony, he looked HUGE compared to now.

http://i.imgur.com/qZ2I9Gz.gif

It sounds like you have the bias where Jon Snow is concerned. =) I mean, I know what you mean about him and Kit Harington's portrayel, but I think he's really come into his own the last two seasons, and he's the only character I find myself purely rooting for without reservation. At times he's verged on being a would-be boy hero like Robb (
most recently his unlikely and rushed election
), but he's basically become selfless old Noble Ned 2.0, speaking truth to power and courageously doing what's right even when it means almost certain death, let alone whether or not it's in his best interests. And c'mon,
his willfully turning down the Stark name and
this didn't do anything for you: Spoilers up to Season 5, Episode 3

Ned, is that you?
:farnese: guilty as charged, I think it's Kit's portrayal. I mean, Jon seems like he's always actually doing the right thing even though he doesn't always come up good with his decisions, they're generally for the greater good or for progress, sort of a new school vs old school way of going about things.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
All I know is that TV Unsullied are about as sullied as they come. (potential spoilers?) I mean seriously, they've been getting their asses handed to them left and right all season by a bunch of two-bit assassins, who for some reason always prefer open combat, wielding kitchen cutlery and fire pokers. And I'm supposed to believe they are the elite of the elite.

And about that last scene from this weeks episode:
When Dany got on her dragon and peaced out, and the camera panned across all her advisors she left behind I could only imagine them thinking, "You did NOT just leave us here!" But I'm sure being stranded in the middle of an arena full of assassins who should be rabid at the chance to kill the Khaleesi's best men will just let them go.

Probably weird and random things to latch onto, but I really don't have too much to say about this season other than that I agree with Grif on episode 8 being far and away the best so far.

Scorpio said:
All I know is that TV Unsullied are about as sullied as they come. (potential spoilers?) I mean seriously, they've been getting their asses handed to them left and right all season by a bunch of two-bit assassins, who for some reason always prefer open combat, wielding kitchen cutlery and fire pokers. And I'm supposed to believe they are the elite of the elite.

Good point, didn't think of that. Maybe it's them attacking in huge numbers that poses a threat? Makes me wonder why the security around her isn't as beefed up in the first place.

When Dany got on her dragon and peaced out, and the camera panned across all her advisors she left behind I could only imagine them thinking, "You did NOT just leave us here!" But I'm sure being stranded in the middle of an arena full of assassins who should be rabid at the chance to kill the Khaleesi's best men will just let them go.

You can't blame her for passing on this -
https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/dragon.gif ... the CG wasn't on par with last week's battle episode.

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
I watched this Sunday's episode and you're right about the pacing because a friend told me about
what happened to Shireen - it hasn't happened in the books yet
which means a lot of book readers waiting on the books and watching the show got potentially spoiled? Has more of that happened up until this point in the show? But man, that part of the episode was just bruuuuuutal.
Her screams were ... oouuff. And it was a powerful moment to see an emotionless Stannis stand his ground, stick with his bold choice when the Mom, in comparison, wanted to save her child in the end. I felt the editing/ pacing/ placement of that scene was weird though because it would've felt natural for the episode to have ended with that rather than have the slave-fights-Drogon's come at me bro scene, etc. follow it, I was still recovering from Shireen's death and couldn't care much for what followed if that makes any sense.
I think a lot of people felt that way, especially considering the similar elements being employed.
"Now I'm happy people are burning I guess!?"
I don't know what they could have done though other than shuffle it around to another episode. For the record, it didn't bug me or my wife. When I brought up to her that people are upset she genuinely asked, "Why?" And she feels bad about sad kids and puppies in commercials; we're just totally desensitized to Thrones at this point. =)

IncantatioN said:
The fight choreography was pretty unconvincing, for the first time?
And isn't Drogon supposed to be bigger than that?! When he flew by in episode 2 or 3 or whenever and met mommy on the balcony, he looked HUGE compared to now.

http://i.imgur.com/qZ2I9Gz.gif

:ganishka:

That got a hearty lol. Yeah, it wasn't great, but the stuff in the Dorne garden earlier this season was much worse. Really, the fights have just been bad compared to last season; last week is the exception.
As for Droggy, maybe the balcony scene was like a close-up, but yeah, those sky shots of him have looked massive.

IncantatioN said:
:farnese: guilty as charged, I think it's Kit's portrayal. I mean, Jon seems like he's always actually doing the right thing even though he doesn't always come up good with his decisions, they're generally for the greater good or for progress, sort of a new school vs old school way of going about things.

He's just not very charismatic, though as he becomes authentically more righteous, it actually helps matters somewhat; no bullshit with this one. Earlier in the series he was kind of all over the place.

Scorpio said:

Probably weird and random things to latch onto, but I really don't have too much to say about this season other than that I agree with Grif on episode 8 being far and away the best so far.
IncantatioN said:
Good point, didn't think of that. Maybe it's them attacking in huge numbers that poses a threat? Makes me wonder why the security around her isn't as beefed up in the first place.

Yeeeeah, it was questionable the first time it happened in episode 4, but, ya know, "guerrilla warfare on their home turf: RELEVANCE!" and all that. But now it's just downright ridiculous.
It's like suddenly Dany has no Unsullied guards around and they all suck compared to a bunch of fat nobles and slavery sympathizers?
That's the whole season in a nutshell though, "THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN WHETHER WE PLOTTED IT APPROPRIATELY OR NOT... SO IT DOES!"

IncantatioN said:
You can't blame her for passing on this -
https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/dragon.gif ...
Oh these are fantastic, and there's so many versions of the same joke (spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHq5grKuHU8

I also love the actress' face when she first climbs on, "WTF? How does one act like they're riding a dragon, exactly!?"

IncantatioN said:
the CG wasn't on par with last week's battle episode.

I think the CGI was better, actually. It definitely stretched the boundaries of what they can do, but I was relatively impressed. I don't think it was the worst CGI on the show, and it was probably the hardest to pull off. Part of the reason last week was so seamless is because it wasn't as demanding and was done in the gloomy dark rather than broad daylight (kudos to them for not finding some excuse to stage this at night, even if that side shot was pushing it =). Plus, the show isn't typically CGI heavy anyway, so it stands out all the more when you've suddenly got these fantastical CGI composite shots that are like 85% fake. In LOTR or Avatar that's every shot, so the mind adjusts.

Griffith said:
Oh these are fantastic, and there's so many versions of the same joke (spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHq5grKuHU8

I also love the actress' face when she first climbs on, "WTF? How does one act like they're riding a dragon, exactly!?"
Can't get enough of watching that ... thanks for sharing.

I think the CGI was better, actually. It definitely stretched the boundaries of what they can do, but I was relatively impressed. I don't think it was the worst CGI on the show, and it was probably the hardest to pull off. Part of the reason last week was so seamless is because it wasn't as demanding and was done in the gloomy dark rather than broad daylight (kudos to them for not finding some excuse to stage this at night, even if that side shot was pushing it =). Plus, the show isn't typically CGI heavy anyway, so it stands out all the more when you've suddenly got these fantastical CGI composite shots that are like 85% fake. In LOTR or Avatar that's every shot, so the mind adjusts.
Makes sense *nod nod*.

What do you guys make of
Jorah touching Danny knowing he has Greyscale? Is she supposed to be immune and he knew that or he can't spread it somehow? If he's in love with her, he wouldn't touch her knowing Greyscale can kill unless he was sure she won't get infected ... right? Or wait, does she get infected in the books?! And she's possibly gonna die soon?! Yaay!

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
What do you guys make of
Jorah touching Danny knowing he has Greyscale? Is she supposed to be immune and he knew that or he can't spread it somehow? If he's in love with her, he wouldn't touch her knowing Greyscale can kill unless he was sure she won't get infected ... right? Or wait, does she get infected in the books?! And she's possibly gonna die soon?! Yaay!

Yeah, it's supposed to be highly contagious, so whether or not Dany's immune or one has to touch the visibly infected area on the show (though earlier this season it was said Shireen got it from a toy), I think Jorah's recklessness is going to get him into trouble for it either way. He really seems to be his own worst enemy. Kind of like these writers, huh!? :troll:

Griffith

Walter said:
The books answer a lot of you guys' questions.

I don't know, the show doesn't seem to be following the books' or even its own rules on this. Isn't it literally murky water anyway? =)

All I know is Jorah sure isn't being cautious. I assume he's confident he's not putting his object of devotion in danger, suggesting, he thinks, it takes direct exposure to the infected area, but again, it allegedly passed from the material of a doll, so not something to fool around with.

Top Bottom