Games everyone should play

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Ikaruga.

A lot of love for Xenogears in here, I'm playing it right now and am having a hard time getting through it! Also Shadow of the Colossus, Rez, Jumping Flash, Panzer Dragoon, Bust A Groove, and Robot Alchemic Drive/Remote Control Dandy. And the only PC game I ever liked, Sam and Max.

Edit: And Shenmue, Streets of Rage 2, Dragon Force, Lords of Thunder, U.N Squadron, Cybernator, Contra Alien Wars, Lunar, Suikoden, Popful Mail, Gunstar Heroes, Snatcher, and Earthworm Jim.
Edit 2: Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers, River City Ransom,Turtles in Time, Tomba, Parasite Eve, Trap Gunner, Silent Bomber, Einhander, Sexy Parodius, Brave Fencer Musashi, Zero Gunner 2, Jet Grind Radio, Assault Suit Leynos 2, Battle Garegga, and Toejam and Earl.

Oburi

All praise Grail
O shit thank you for bringing up Age of Empires2. I also sacrificed endless hours to that game. I would still play that today if I had it. And also Syphon Filter. The original was an amazing game and one of the first ps one games I ever played.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Ikaruga.

A lot of love for Xenogears in here, I'm playing it right now and am having a hard time getting through it!
Seconds on Ikaruga, it's my favorite shooter. And admittedly, Xenogears starts out quite lame. I'd even say I didn't really get INTO it until probably 8-10 hours in. But, it's an 60-80 hour game, so that's the price of admission.

Also Death, there's nothing obscure about Shenmue or Soul Calibur unless you were born in this decade.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I don't think Shuenme is popular at all. I would like to see Shuenme 3 but I think they cancelled it.
You must not have been around when it launched. It was the premiere triple A title on Dreamcast. And even though it failed to make a profit, it was absolutely HUGE when it first came out - Sega had a marketing blitz everywhere, and just about every video game magazine treated it like it was the pinnacle of gaming.

So like I said, if you haven't heard of Shenmue, then you must not have been in the video game scene during the Dreamcast days.

Update from Wiki: "The game was the 4th best selling title on the Dreamcast and one of the six titles to sell over a million units worldwide."

Well, I bought a Dreamcast a year or so after it came out. I know the Sheunme game really well, as for others who didn't have or care for the Dreamcast I feel its a obscure game. Kinda like...almost all the games on the Dreamcast, they were popular if you had a Dreamcast, but most of the popular games on the Dreamcast were exclusive. Toy Commander, Slave Zero (Sucked), Heavy Metal, Quake 3...or was it 2?, Speed Devils, Power Stone, Code Veronica (Before being ported...bastards), Seaman, Solider of Fortune (Game takes for ever to load), MDK2.

I'm not saying the Dreamcast was unpopular but I think it, like a lot of Sega systems has obscure games. Which was the cool thing about the Dreamcast to me, it was the system that took a lot of chances, it had a great variety. Not all were winners of course, but some games were break throughs. I.E. Sheunme.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
MediEvil (The first one)
Ape Escape
Breath of Fire 2
Captain Commando
Dino Crisis
Lunar: Silver star story
Oddworld : Abe's Oddysee
Twisted Metal ( the first)
Wild Arms

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
most of the popular games on the Dreamcast were exclusive. Toy Commander, Slave Zero (Sucked), Heavy Metal, Quake 3...or was it 2?, Speed Devils, Power Stone, Code Veronica (Before being ported...bastards), Seaman, Solider of Fortune (Game takes for ever to load), MDK2.
Why wasn't Soul Calibur in the above list? That's like, the ultimate DC game, and even stands up to the test of time (it's now sold on the 360's Live! Arcade).

I'm not saying the Dreamcast was unpopular but I think it, like a lot of Sega systems has obscure games. Which was the cool thing about the Dreamcast to me, it was the system that took a lot of chances, it had a great variety. Not all were winners of course, but some games were break throughs. I.E. Sheunme.
Well, that awesome pioneering era of the Dreamcast was also the Swan Song for Sega. They had just come off of two horrible failures (latter Genesis years and the Saturn, both of which had been aborted by Sega's US divisions). So the Dreamcast was hailed as the company's saving grace. And instead of playing by-the-book they took the totally apeshit insane and awesome route. And unfortunately failed.

The two games I waited and waited for on Dreamcast was Shuenme 2, Half Life. They never came...they never came. :judo:

Holy cow! How could I forget! One of my favorite Dreamcast games, that would eventually lead me to discover one of the greatest stories ever told.

Sword of the Berserk: Guts Rage

Now, the question is, should we argue if its obscure of not?

If Sega wasn't taking chances...I WOULD OF never found Berserk.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Walter said:
Seconds on Ikaruga, it's my favorite shooter. And admittedly, Xenogears starts out quite lame. I'd even say I didn't really get INTO it until probably 8-10 hours in. But, it's an 60-80 hour game, so that's the price of admission.

I have to pick it back up then, lots of people say it's a slow starter. I started playing Xenosaga and I really like a lot of the Tech and Ether attacks.

I'm happy to see a lot of love for the PS1 here. The PS1 was popular when I was in late grade school and that was my gaming prime. I remember me and my buds used to have Resident Evil all-nighters, nothing will ever beat those days when videogames were awesome. I also remember staying up until 6 in the morning trying to solve the piano puzzle in the Silent Hill demo. I've been too broke to buy any new games lately so I've been winning some lowball auctions on cheapassgamer.com to score some cheap games. A friend who I haven't seen in ages dropped buy and gave me all of his old PS1 games. (Silent Bomber, Trap Gunner, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Legend of Mana.) Also Saiya sent me some nice rpgs (Xenogears, FF Chronicles, FF Anthology, Persona 2, and Tales of Destiny 2) so I have plenty of stuff to play. I've been trading games at various retro gaming websites, maybe we should have a game trading thread?

Th3Branded0ne said:
MediEvil (The first one)

Funny you mention it, I just started playing it again. This was one of my fave games for PS1 and while the controls are awful it's funny as hell whenever Sir Dan says ANYTHING. "I'll show you!"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I don't think Shuenme is popular at all. I would like to see Shuenme 3 but I think they cancelled it.

Could you write the name properly please? It's annoying. SHEN-MUE. Thanks. And Shenmue was damn popular.

Death May Die said:
Quake 3...or was it 2?

Yeah man, Quake 3 Arena is a really obscure, Dreamcast-only game. :ganishka:

Death May Die said:
The two games I waited and waited for on Dreamcast was Shuenme 2, Half Life. They never came...they never came. :judo:

Shenmue 2 did come out.

Death May Die said:
Sword of the Berserk: Guts Rage

Now, the question is, should we argue if its obscure of not?

If Sega wasn't taking chances...I WOULD OF never found Berserk.

It's certainly more obscure than almost every game you've cited so far.

handsome rakshas said:
I'm happy to see a lot of love for the PS1 here.

Kentarou Miura and I recommend VANDAL HEARTS.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
Update from Wiki: "The game was the 4th best selling title on the Dreamcast and one of the six titles to sell over a million units worldwide."

The problem with Shenmue was it's insane production costs. I still love it dearly. And the Dreamcast is my favourite console ever (lots of love for the MegaDrive too).

Aazealh said:
Shenmue 2 did come out.

He was talking about the DC version and not the xbox version. It did come out in the US for xbox but not for DC here. Came out on DC but for PAL/JP only....unfortunately. I was waiting for it to come to DC too here. At the time getting a xbox was out of the question.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
He was talking about the DC version and not the xbox version. It did come out in the US for xbox but not for DC here. Came out on DC but for PAL/JP only....unfortunately.

Whoa, seriously? I had no idea. Why release it in Europe but not in the USA? Japanese editors puzzle me sometimes... Not that I'll complain that for once it wasn't Europe getting shafted.

Nobody mentioned UFO: Enemy Unknown or XCOM 1 as some might call it. That game was amazing and still is today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufo_defense

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
X-Com is indeed awesome, though hard as fuck. I bought it off Steam when it was $5 and I probably got about $100 worth out of it with the amount of time I sunk in it. Great game.

I forgot Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn!
Yeah Aazealh, Vandal Hearts...this game is excellent, do you remember the blood "fountain" that came out of the characters once they were defeated?.
The whole Seiken Densetsu series is fucking genius too!.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Beast of Darkness said:
Yeah Aazealh, Vandal Hearts...this game is excellent, do you remember the blood "fountain" that came out of the characters once they were defeated?.

Of course, how could I ever forget it? :carcus:

Walter said:
I'd like to say so as well but the recent shit is god-awful.

Yes you are right, I should have say Mystic Quest, Seiken Densetsu 2-3 and the almighty Legend of Mana!.
The GBA release(Sword of Mana) is great as well.

Aazealh said:
Of course, how could I ever forget it? :carcus:

I was sure you couldn't forget! :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Blaster Master

Oh, and of course, Close Range!

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/hot_new_video_game_consists?utm_source=a-section

The Beast of Darkness said:

I heard such great things about Vandal Hearts, but I was seriously turned off by the character portraits. Such a shame... :judo:

Top Bottom