Games to look forward to!

Griffith said:
180px-Waluigi.png

4 ever

It would be silly for him to be a playable character when he's already an assist trophy AND the main final boss

f85.gif

Eva Unit 1 for Smash

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Aaz will be happy to see what the new Smash Bros video whipped up. :ganishka:

I was, and even before you posted about it! :iva: That reveal video was great. Love the focus on classic CV.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
So, Doom Eternal will have twice as many enemies and is adding a Souls-like PvP where you can invade others' games as a demon and vice versa. To the former I wonder how a bunch of new monsters will mix with the revamped classics, and/or if they'll be adding in the Doom 3 varieties ala the Hell Knight. To the latter, that sounds cool, I've expressed my fondness for Souls multiplayer before so maybe this will be fun, particularly getting invaded by a player-level demon (it won't have the same stakes as, say, being invaded while out to retrieve your souls, but it could keep you on your toes). Speaking of which, where's Doomguy and Oscar of Astora or Solaire in Smash Ultimate!? You should have to play as Doomguy in first person and the DS characters using R1 and L1 to block and attack. =)

There's also a new video for Red Dead Redemption 2 that looks promising, but there hasn't been much else about it for a game so close to launch and I'm still not sure if I should grab it for PS4 or wait for a possible PC release, and would that still come to Steam or a Rockstar app, etc etc. I'll probably just grab it on PS4 for the ease and instant gratification rather than the longer upside of a PC version (got to make the same call with Sekiro, which we know is coming to PC).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
There's also a new video for Red Dead Redemption 2 that looks promising, but there hasn't been else much about it for a game so close to launch and I'm still not sure if I should grab it for PS4 or wait for a possible PC release, and would that still come to Steam or a Rockstar app, etc etc. I'll probably just grab it on PS4 for the ease and instant gratification rather than the longer upside of a PC version (got to make the same call with Sekiro, which we know is coming to PC).

Red Dead Redemption 1 still hasn't been released on PC, so... probably better not to wait.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Red Dead Redemption 1 still hasn't been released on PC, so... probably better not to wait.

You're telling me. :carcus: Such a shame since it's one of the best games I've ever played (even the zombie spinoff isn't bad). I can't even really blame them though when you look at some of the sales of games on PC versus the crazy numbers of their console counterparts. GTAV is obviously a wild outlier itself, but when you're selling 88.5 million copies of something on consoles and 1.5 million on PC the question becomes "why do PC?" not "why not?" I wish they were more desperate for money so those extra million sales actually meant more to them (most anybody would kill to move that total, and it's relatively inconsequential to them; though I bet it's worth it for the Online microtranactions =). Long story short, yeah, I'll probably get it at launch for PS4, and unless the game is all an allegory for how Donald Trump is a really sexy leader it'll supplant Dark Souls Remastered as my favorite, and only, game from 2018. :ganishka:

I wonder, actually. I never could get into GTAV and haven't cared for any recent Rockstar games, so I wonder if I'll be so enamored with them in the age of GTA Online and what I'm sure will be RDR Online. I'm quick to yell at clouds, even the Bloodborne online PS+ requirement grossed me out and kind of turned me off, or at least it affecting me correlated with my winding down with that game. Though that might even be worse, essentially putting basic gameplay features behind a third party paywall (why not just charge for high res or controller options in the menu, "Requires PlayStation Plus"? =).

Griffith

RaffoBaffo said:
If I remember correctly RDD is a impossible port because the coding of the game is a mess.

The idea it was so bad it was "impossible" for them to optimize their own code for PC sounded a little suspect; as if no PC ported games had messy code, plus it was already on both PS3 and X-Box 360, so it's not like it was something singularly designed to only work on one specific platform. I tried looking for verification and came upon this thread on the subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/4fpam9/myth_or_fact_red_dead_redemption_code_is_a_mess/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_list

So, seems like it's just a rumor to justify it not happening, though I did see a couple of weird glitches myself (like double Marstons in a cutscene =). Anyway, however messy the code was, I'm pretty sure it could have been done by Rockstar or somebody. Plus, it's not like Rockstar wouldn't just put out a crappy port if they really wanted to do it. =) That's actually my guess, that after the experience of GTA IV and them not optimizing RDR for PC in the first place they just didn't want to bother to deal with the inherent problems or fallout so they moved on.

I'm hoping they've reconsidered and planned for it this time, but like Aaz warned I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
I'm hoping they've reconsidered and planned for it this time, but like Aaz warned I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.

I don't see how they could turn down extending platforms after all that GTA5 money.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
I don't see how they could turn down extending platforms after all that GTA5 money.

I agree in principle, but Rockstar may not, after all they haven't committed yet and how/why did they do it with the original Red Dead Redemption? It's not like they were hard up for cash after GTAIII through GTAIV either, and they could have made a larger percentage of sales on PC than they did GTA5, which was relatively minuscule on PC (and the bad GTAIV PC port's numbers were awful compared to console, like 20 to 1). Ironically, at least for those of us that have no interest in such shit, I think the saving grace might be the desire to take advantage of a long term RDR Online revenue stream on PC. That might make it worth their while if the raw sales numbers don't.

Here's new gameplay footage of the RE2 Remake, featuring Claire fighting Birkin. Irons also makes an incredibly skeevy appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQE7d1hb450

Griffith

Zeke said:
Here's new gameplay footage of the RE2 Remake, featuring Claire fighting Birkin. Irons also makes an incredibly skeevy appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQE7d1hb450

Oh man, Irons is one of my favorites! Total creep, and low key had the most iconic line from the commercials, his manic, "Everyone's gonna die!!" I see that they've only dialed up his pervo vibe (he looks far more fat and sweaty =), but I kind of liked that he started out as sort of a suspiciously straight-laced authority figure to begin with and only later turns out to be a total lecherous psycho for that added layer of sweet, sweet hypocrisy. :carcus:

Anyway, the Birkin thing looked ok, but needed music, and... I don't know, it all seems a little sterile now somehow compared to RE7, and even RE4 (Claire's relatively subdued, "OMG, what's up with this guy?" attitude didn't help). This has been a dream game for me since RE4 really, but after REVII, and them having already moved on from these over-the-shoulder actioners, I can't help but feel like it's a little past it's best by date now. They probably didn't do first person mode just so they could make another remake. =)

BTW, A Link Between Worlds should have had an unlockable 3D Zelda camera mode! I know it used forced perspective, but who cares if it looked a little weird, that would have been fantastic.

Griffith

If it continues the ratio of two good games in five it will accurately represent the PS1 experience. Actually, I have an exclusive leak of the complete list right here:

reliable sources said:
Final Fantasy VII
Jumping Flash
Ridge Racer Type 4
Tekken 3
Wild Arms
Crash Bandicoot
Ski Air Mix
Tomb Raider 2
Mortal Kombat: Special Forces
Gran Turismo 2
Rascal Racers
Silent Hill 2
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Metal Gear Solid
Star Wars: Masters Of Teräs Käsi
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
South Park
Twisted Metal III
Bubsy 3D
Resident Evil

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
If it continues the ratio of two good games in five it will accurately represent the PS1 experience.

Hey, Wild Arms was ... acceptable. A perfectly acceptable appetizer for everyone who was impatient for FF7!

Griffith

Walter said:
Hey, Wild Arms was ... acceptable. A perfectly acceptable appetizer for everyone who was impatient for FF7!

It's going to be interesting to see what they come up with because just doing that mockup I had to think... "Do I put Resident Evil or RE2, or both?" The quandary is the same, or worse, with the Tomb Raiders, Twisted Metals, and Crash games. Do you go with the iconic originals or the best game in the series? Like RE2 is better but Resident Evil is RESIDENT EVIL and close enough. But then people like me would still feel like their favorite was left out either way, and it always kind of feels questionable what representative from a series gets picked (and do you snub some altogether that were popular but haven't aged well =). Plus, other shit like Mega Man X4, Street Fighter Alpha 3, or games inextricably associated with the system like Parappa the Rapper, etc. Who do they already have the licensing with; Square is there, so is Xenogears, FFT or Vagrant Story coming, or maybe Time Crisis and Ace Combat from Namco? =) Anyway, there was a lot of good games for PS1 and I'm not sure any of the five already listed, save for FF7, should have DEFINITELY made the cut (a Tekken should probably be on there, and 3 was the best, but you could make a case for 2 as well). If FF7, Tekken 3, MGS, Tomb Raider 2, and Resident Evil 2 were the first five announced I'd have a lot more confidence in, at least the direction of, the rest of the list. Though maybe they're saving some big names for later or still negotiating.

Damn, and you reminded me that I meant to throw in Gex: Enter the Gecko somewhere on that list too. :ganishka:

Here's the new story trailer for the RE 2 Remake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilvO_HNJ1VQ

There's also gameplay footage that expands on the content that was released last month at Gamescom (Birkin/Irons).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Hko72yQMc

Griffith

Zeke said:
Here's the new story trailer for the RE 2 Remake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilvO_HNJ1VQ

I appreciate that they brought back the series' trademark bad voice acting with Leon, but with a modern twist! He sounds ridiculous, and Ada looks ridiculous.

Anyway, while I'm here, you can sign me up for Metroid Prime 4 because I finally beat Super Metroid the other night! It only took me 8 hours and 25 years. :badbone:

I think I still like Metroid Fusion better because it has a little story tension going on and more lore to explore, but maybe now I'll check out some of the remakes I haven't tried like Zero Mission and Samus Returns. I have some fond and not so fond memories of Metroid II on my GameBoy, which was one of the first two, and only for the longest time, games I had for it (though I could still play the original; my GB still works and I spliced together a couple of AC adapter wires to make a custom plug block for it =).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I think I still like Metroid Fusion better because it has a little story tension going on and more lore to explore

Hahahaahahhahaha this will give Walter a stroke. :ubik: :ganishka:

Griffith said:
maybe now I'll check out some of the remakes I haven't tried like Zero Mission and Samus Returns. I have some fond and not so fond memories of Metroid II on my GameBoy, which was one of the first two, and only for the longest time, games I had for it (though I could still play the original; my GB still works and I spliced together a couple of AC adapter wires to make a custom plug block for it =).

Zero Mission is great. Very well polished, although also quite short. Samus Returns... I played 20 minutes of it and haven't gone back. I should probably push myself, but I haven't felt compelled. :sad:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I think I still like Metroid Fusion better because it has a little story tension going on and more lore to explore

Boy, if you're looking for lore and tension in a Metroid game, Nintendo has got you covered!
HTML:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QdNJIO6wmLw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I guess you fall onto a different side of the Metroid argument than me, because I look at Fusion and just see everything they did absolutely wrong. The backtracking and monotony of the world design makes it feels needlessly long. They took all the wrong turns for conveying mood, atmosphere and story (those 2 moments with SA-X were nice -- what else? Fixing the A/C unit?). They violated one of the coolest aspects of Super Metroid by having a robot tell you exactly where to go, and breaking the mood with mindless chit-chat.

Now because of the order in which you played these games, that might not be much of a factor for you. But try to imagine Dark Souls, where every time you changed zones, a ghost told you about what was ahead, and instead of a silent protagonist you had regular inner monologues about how you felt about this ghost. Also the ghost reminded you to save your game, level up, how the humanity system worked, and served up waypoints for every morsel of progress in the game. Also, remove zone names and give them numbers.

I have a lot of feelings about Metroid Fusion.

, but maybe now I'll check out some of the remakes I haven't tried like Zero Mission and Samus Returns. I have some fond and not so fond memories of Metroid II on my GameBoy, which was one of the first two, and only for the longest time, games I had for it (though I could still play the original; my GB still works and I spliced together a couple of AC adapter wires to make a custom plug block for it =).

Zero Mission is incredible, even though it DOES do the waypoint thing above, it is wordless, and incredibly dense. Every little moment is well planned and laid out in the game.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Hahahaahahhahaha this will give Walter a stroke. :ubik: :ganishka:

I swear I'm not just trolling at this point! :iva:

I think I understand the divide on this; Wally loves the pure, uninterrupted exploration and solemn habitation of Super Metroid, and hates how Fusion breaks it up into more manageable sections and gives you instructions and objectives, wheras I wanted a little something more to break up the sameness of the experience and punctuate it with some dramatic moments beyond boss fights (I didn't realize how much I appreciate even perfunctory plot points and dialogue until I completed a game almost totally lacking it =). I can see the purity of that minimalist approach and enjoy it myself to a certain degree, but I preferred Fusion's added references, not only to previous games in the series, but, other Sci-fi tropes like the evil clone(s) hunting you and the AI you're not sure you can trust. I think it comes down to the fact that in Super Metroid there's almost no dialogue or direct plotting after the opening, and in Fusion there's at least some spread throughout and it's just a matter of it that makes or breaks it for you.

Zero Mission is great. Very well polished, although also quite short.

Well, I was excited enough to check, and at $8 for a 15 year old 2 hour gameboy game it sounds like a great investment on my Wii U! /s

C'mon Nintendo, discount the Wii U eshop and/or let me play games I've bought on my account(s) across all platforms. Ugh, I hope the Switch fails and Sony buys you someday!
nerdrage.gif

Samus Returns... I played 20 minutes of it and haven't gone back. I should probably push myself, but I haven't felt compelled. :sad:

If you have to try that hard it's probably not worth it.

Walter said:
I guess you fall onto a different side of the Metroid argument than me, because I look at Fusion and just see everything they did absolutely wrong. The backtracking and monotony of the world design makes it feels needlessly long. They took all the wrong turns for conveying mood, atmosphere and story (those 2 moments with SA-X were nice -- what else? Fixing the A/C unit?). They violated one of the coolest aspects of Super Metroid by having a robot tell you exactly where to go, and breaking the mood with mindless chit-chat.

Well, there's the counterargument, and I honestly don't remember Fusion well enough to defend those elements other than to say they worked for me at the time as someone that had already put down Super Metroid a couple times because the absence of those things didn't absorb me any more than they turned you off. Super Metroid and the whole Metroid concept is great, but it can also feel like doing the same thing over and over for hours, which is what even this playthrough was like for me. The first hour felt the same as the last hour and the ones inbetween might have been worse because there was no less backtracking or monotony despite the high quality of play and design. I mean, a couple of nice staged dramatic moments ate better than none.

Now because of the order in which you played these games, that might not be much of a factor for you. But try to imagine Dark Souls, where every time you changed zones, a ghost told you about what was ahead, and instead of a silent protagonist you had regular inner monologues about how you felt about this ghost. Also the ghost reminded you to save your game, level up, how the humanity system worked, and served up waypoints for every morsel of progress in the game. Also, remove zone names and give them numbers.

I knew you were going to compare it to Dark Souls! Hell, I almost did, but for the opposite reason because it's actually far more stringent in its commitment to giving you nothing. Imagine Dark Souls with no NPCs, no plot or dialogue after the opening, little to no variation in combat or even gameplay (the ability upgrades are really just keys to open doors), and only half a dozen or so bosses, which aren't that hard either. I recognize it's a brilliant game and that the desolation can totally be a feature to the atmosphere and experience, but it can also feel like you're just flip jumping around the same caves looking for the next hole in the wall for 8 1/2 hours.

I have a lot of feelings about Metroid Fusion.

Well, I can't match your passion against Fusion or for Super Metroid in any case, and I'm even convinced you're objectively correct here that Super Metroid is some kind of masterpiece and Fusion a watered down derivative, but I'm just saying how I felt about playing each of them. One was fun and fine enough, the other I repeatedly lost interest in and had to sort of power through, but I did ultimately enjoy and appreciate it too and would continue playing... except I unknowingly used the 2nd Tourian save room and can't go back now!? THIS FUCKING GAME!!

Is that what you consider some good unforgiving game design? =)

Zero Mission is incredible, even though it DOES do the waypoint thing above, it is wordless, and incredibly dense. Every little moment is well planned and laid out in the game.

Maybe that's the one I really need to play, if Nintendo wasn't price gouging me on my obsolete console... I'll probably break down though, I don't see it on the 3DS (it never got GBA games, did it?) and my 3DS has a broken B button anyway.

Update: Started a new game of Fusion on my 3DS and it's WAY talkier than I remember, especially coming off of Super. Hmmm... I may need to revise my opinion if this isn't just an issue in the beginning. =)

Also got Zero Mission despite all my bitching. :badbone:

Griffith

At first Zero Mission felt a bit like a regression, landing somewhere between Metroid and Super Metroid naturally, but then you start to feel the little Fusion influences and streamlining and see that it's more a bit more innovative and polished than that. I got to play for a while tonight and got through Kraid, so I'm well on my way.

Griffith

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/10/29/announcing-playstation-classics-full-lineup-of-20-games/ said:
Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

As inexplicable as I expected, maybe worse actually considering what's missing.

Top Bottom