Games to look forward to!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Guts as a raccoon, from the makers of Just Cause: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Zcrc8x5mg

Looks even better than your description, like BotW with mechs. :guts:

DreadnoughtDT

The Lost Paladin
I really want Metroid Prime 4, but seeing as that won't be out for a long time, I guess I have to play Samus Returns. Even though that's what caused the death of AM2R, I still have it, so heh heh.

Griffith

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/914848449463496704

Nioh is coming to PC! Previously a popular Dark Souls evolutionary derivative I couldn't care less about (hmmph!)... that suddenly think I might maybe definitely play! Funny how that works. :carcus:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/914848449463496704

Nioh is coming to PC! Previously a popular Dark Souls evolutionary derivative I couldn't care less about (hmmph!)... that suddenly think I might maybe definitely play! Funny how that works. :carcus:

It's cool, but most of the bosses are lame.

Looks interesting. It's widescreen and I think that's a first for the classic variants, and this makes Mega Man's sprite look smaller. It looks like the model changes when you switch weapons and I like it :ubik:. The art style could be distracting during intense moments, but it looks like they are trying to limit the number of enemies on screen.

I want to be excited, but the most notable part of this game will likely be its title.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The new look is giving me too much of a Mighty No. 9 vibe for my liking (I think it's the wonky running animation). But my kid is certainly excited. I showed him the trailer this morning saying it would be out next year, and after school, his first question to me was "is Mega Man 11 out yet?" It's going to be a long year. His other feedback from the trailer: "Oh no, moving platforms again?" (this kid gets it).

Man, kids are hilarious. The concept of time is completely lost on them. I busted out my Wii to play with my 4 year old daughter. It is softmodded with a bajillion games so, of course, she picks Babysitting Mama. Apparently there is a doll that comes with the game that has a slot for a wiimote. Obviously, I dont have this doll so we had to hollow out a baby doll and stuff a Wiimote into the thing. I think we had more fun trying to get the controller into the doll than playing the game. I don't think she's gonna be much of a gamer but oh well at least I tried.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
buttonmasher said:
Man, kids are hilarious. The concept of time is completely lost on them. I busted out my Wii to play with my 4 year old daughter. It is softmodded with a bajillion games so, of course, she picks Babysitting Mama. Apparently there is a doll that comes with the game that has a slot for a wiimote. Obviously, I dont have this doll so we had to hollow out a baby doll and stuff a Wiimote into the thing. I think we had more fun trying to get the controller into the doll than playing the game. I don't think she's gonna be much of a gamer but oh well at least I tried.

There's a great Giant Bomb segment on this game: https://youtu.be/XMEg6mfTfF4?t=7m8s

Griffith

Walter said:
my kid is certainly excited. I showed him the trailer this morning saying it would be out next year, and after school, his first question to me was "is Mega Man 11 out yet?" It's going to be a long year.

:ganishka:

WELL!!? :isidro: :???:

Walter said:
His other feedback from the trailer: "Oh no, moving platforms again?" (this kid gets it).

When he ascends to his proper place as a Mega Man Master one day he'll see those moving platforms and smile like Guts when a doomed horde of monstrosities foolishly approaches.

I have to say, I don't have that childlike enthusiasm for this one. It looks like NEW Super Mega Man Bros. or something, and it's clearly a successor more in the vein of Mega Man 7, 8, etc, if that, than the classics. Also, it feels a little perfunctory after such a wait (even MM10 had lost the novelty and felt redundant after the awesome return to form of 9), a Mega Man-like game with mediocre graphical update. A bit too little, too late for me perhaps. It also doesn't help that it's following Shovel Knight, which was basically the ultimate iteration of this specific style of game, including the two-player co-op I always dreamed of (BTW, it's still releasing new content!). Mega Man 11 just looks like another unessential MM variant.

https://youtu.be/Ti-i40Ez6KY

Hot damn, I loved Bayonetta 1 & 2. I was wondering a few days ago if there would be another game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWFgvbf_Zu8

Bloodborne II? Probably not. It looks like new Tenchu, or perhaps completely new IP. I already have Nioh Complete Edition on my sight and I don't know if I want two samurai souls-like games. Whatever, it already looks good! ... as a sneak peek, but still xD

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
VladimirPutin said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWFgvbf_Zu8

Bloodborne II? Probably not. It looks like new Tenchu, or perhaps completely new IP. I already have Nioh Complete Edition on my sight and I don't know if I want two samurai souls-like games. Whatever, it already looks good! ... as a sneak peek, but still xD

Yep, I'm guessing Tenchu. From Soft acquired that at some point in the 2000s, though they weren't associated with the earliest games (which were my favorite). Still, would be neat to see what spin they put on it these days. Particularly if it's something more than "Tenchu Souls."

In other video game announcements, Capcom is releasing this amazing thing:

[flash=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/v/vpUXoCqD6GM[/flash]

12 arcade-perfect ports in one package: Street Fighter 1-3 (and all variations) + Street Fighter Alpha 1-3. Coming to all modern platforms in May. So much for that garbage Switch port at launch! :ganishka:

Griffith

Obviously this game is a stay away, but in that vein ("we played it so you don't have to"), this review is a must-read for Metal Gear fans:

https://kotaku.com/metal-gear-survive-the-kotaku-review-1823584276

Let’s not beat around the bush: Metal Gear Survive is the story of a loyal soldier left behind by their boss and tossed into a hellscape of reused Phantom Pain assets where they must build some type of meaningful existence out of the accumulated debris.
BACK OF THE BOX QUOTE
"Why are we still here? Just to suffer?"
Metal Gear Survive comes off as a cry for help. Its team is comprised of series veterans as well as key artists and designers from other abandoned Konami franchises. The game’s distinctive zombies were created by Silent Hill creature designer Masahiro Ito, famed for his design of the iconic Pyramid Head. Ito’s designs feel wasted in Metal Gear Survive. Producer Yuji Korekado has worked on the series since Metal Gear Solid and pushed back against Kojima during the production of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. An easter egg in the game seemingly refers to him as “Cunning Yuji.” Metal Gear Survive feels fractured, a product of disparate minds forced to cobble together a Metal Gear game that will capture players in an unceasing spiral of grinding and toil. It is a torture device that not even Hieronymus Bosch could have conceived of.
As angry as this game may make Metal Gear fans, the game itself seems even angrier. This is illustrated by how Survive uses a key piece of series iconography: the Metal Gear. Throughout the series, Metal Gear units fulfill a variety of narrative and thematic functions. Metal Gear Solid, the third game in the series, introduced Metal Gear REX, a walking battle tank that used a railgun to launch undetectable nukes. Much as the move to PlayStation marked the series’ transition into the “solid” realm of 3D, REX marked a paradigm shift within Metal Gear’s world fiction where weapons and technology supplant flesh and blood soldiers. Metal Gear Solid 2’s Metal Gear RAY was designed to destroying derivative Metal Gear units based on Metal Gear REX. That game was all about deconstructing Metal Gear Solid, and RAY was a manifestation of that destructive, subversive impulse. Metal Gear units are always more than just giant mechs—they are symbols intimately tied to each game’s thematic goals.

In Metal Gear Survive, the only Metal Gear the player encounters is the ruined corpse of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain’s Metal Gear Sahelanthropus. The flagship mech of Kojima’s final directorial hurrah is broken and gathering dust. It is the job of the player, the job of one of the remaining Mother Base soldiers, to revive Sahelanthropus for a climactic battle against the Lord of Dust, the massive nano-tech giant controlling the game’s zombies. Through reviving one of the last remnants of Kojima’s final stand, loyal players annihilate an icon of mindless consumption hell bent on ruining the Metal Gear universe. Survive’s endgame has been devoted to preventing the Lord of Dust from carrying out a perpetual cycle that destroys everything the player has ever known. When the player takes aim using Sahelanthropus’ restored rail cannon, the Lord of Dust’s weak point might as well be a glowing Konami logo.

:ganishka:

Couldn't they have just released Mission 51 instead, or put it in here as a throw in? I'd have much rather and more likely paid for that. I guess that's what was really meant by "the phantom pain."

Resident Evil 2 Remake has officially been announced with a release date! 1/25/19

This and Devil May Cry 5 really made my day. :guts:

Showcase trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-lEnz5QKuM
Hunk, Mr. X, and Birkin! Oh my! :isidro:

Announcement trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxJtQa6VSw

The game looks gorgeous and is sporting a very welcome Re4 camera angle, although I've read that they plan on having different camera options; tank controls and fixed camera angles would be such a treat for fans.

Aazealh said:
The RE2 remake looks pretty neat. Scratching that nostalgic itch.

Fuck yes it is. I'm impressed by the level of violence, it looks very nigthmarish.
Just imagine scenes from the original version in this new one...
Very happy to see how good Leon's face look, they didn't messed it up.

Now we just need a release date for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

Griffith

I'm impressed how much it reminded me of the old RE2 cinematography, the matte blacks and drab background colors mixed with vibrant clothing and light sources, with modern graphical design, facial animation, etc. Basically, it looks legit and like they nailed the aesthetic of the original (how you remember it rather than how it was). Leon also looked appropriately like an in over his head rookie, and my only complaint is Claire looked and sounded a little off (where's my beloved Jubilee? :judo:). Very cool teases of those side characters too; Ada Wong silhouetted in the shadows with a snubnosed revolver! :daiba:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Aaz will be happy to see what the new Smash Bros video whipped up.
Sareth said:
So who will fans complain about not being in Smash next?

"Simon and Richter but no Axe Armor?!, no Flea Man!?" (actually with his bounciness, Flea Man would be perfect for Smash :badbone:)

Griffith

Sareth said:
So who will fans complain about not being in Smash next?

180px-Waluigi.png

4 ever

He's gotta be a lock by now, right? I mean, look at the chairs! :magni: Now that his value has been over-inflated they'll release him as DLC, standing equal alongside Goku and Sephiroth. =)

Walter said:
"Simon and Richter but no Axe Armor?!, no Flea Man!?" (actually with his bounciness, Flea Man would be perfect for Smash :badbone:)

I already saw earnest rumblings about Alucard. Ya know, the main guy from that big Playstation game 20 years ago. Of course, when your fans are demanding that an evil twin Wario derivative of your already derivative palette-swapped Mario clone be included, this almost seems like a relatively reasonable and inspired request.

Top Bottom