Gatts, Gatsu, Guts etc....

you mean the interview i mentioned (from the german edition) is a part taken out of another interview? which one? the b.i. file interview?
Er... Yeah, that's what I just said? ^^;
Judging from your post, anyway... There could be new parts, who knows?
i am sorry i don't know what a shônen manga is...
It's a "manga for boys".
Berserk is a "seinen manga" ("manga for young men").
er... i didn't say "a german name", i said a german-sounding name in the above post, so why do you correct this?
I wasn't correcting, I just wanted to make things clearer, as somebody said the name did come from Katze, a few months ago, on these boards... ^^;
and he said exactly the same thing about the "cat coincidence".
Definitely a translated interview. ^_^;
so did miura say in an interview that he called him "Guts" because of the link to the word "courage", or didn't he?
Like I just said, he explained he named him "Guts" because Berserk was first supposed to be a shônen manga. So he named him after the English word "guts".
It's also spelled Gatts and even Gatz on two different anime fansubs.
But who cares about fansubs...
and it's spelled Gatsu at the HK DVD set subs,
... or about HK subs ? ^_^;
and at the official soundtrack release.
I think that was "Gats", actually?...
I forgot about that one, that makes 3 "Gats" VS a lot of "Guts", then. ^^

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
Does it matter? I mean, they still sound the same. It's like here in sweden... do I spell my middle name Elisabeth, Elizabeth, Elisabet... or? Who really cares? I admit that it's probably Guts, but... hell, I have gotten so used to Gatts. The same with Casca/Caska... *ponders* I honestly don't know which one I use... hehe, probably both.

*grins*  ;D

"A rose by any other name is still a rose..."

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
kenoh-sama reveals his talent for using a metaphorical description to depict an issue.
well done!     8)
Es gibt nur oa Gas: HYPAGAS!

Gottseidank versteht des kana!

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
Like I just said, he explained he named him "Guts" because Berserk was first supposed to be a shônen manga. So he named him after the English word "guts".
Havin some guts or showin them means to have courage and that could be another way how to interpret the name of berserk´s protagonist.

ruru

nani?
in Japanese they have a sound after most ending consenants. So the name Guts would sound like Gatsu if spoken in Japanese. I think that is why the mistake came. I am not sure what is more appropriate for the translation....misspelling the name in sake of pronunciation or spelling it correctly and not worrying how people pronounce it.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
in Japanese they have a sound after most ending consenants.  So the name Guts would sound like Gatsu if spoken in Japanese.  I think that is why the mistake came.  I am not sure what is more appropriate for the translation....misspelling the name in sake of pronunciation or spelling it correctly and not worrying how people pronounce it.  
So it is indeed the italian spelling: Gatsu. The problem is the japaneses seem not to care how a stranger pronounce their spelling or how they pronunce the stranger names, so we have debiruman for devilman , sarurotto for charlotte, roshinu for lucine and so on... Perharps the better thing could be rename our way Gut ..er Gatts ...Gatsu...coincidence or not the name also remind me of a cat.. Hey that could be a good name

So it is indeed the italian spelling: Gatsu.
No, it's not. -__-
It's officially spelled "Guts" in alphabet, and it's written (and said) "gattsu" in Japanese.
The problem is the japaneses seem not to care how a stranger pronounce their spelling or how they pronunce the stranger names, so we have debiruman for devilman , sarurotto for charlotte, roshinu for lucine and so on...
It has nothing to do with the Japanese "not caring about how a stranger would pronounce the names".
It's just that the Japanese language is based on a limited range of different sounds, so, when they have to write/say foreign names, they just use the most appripriate sounds there are _among the existing Japanese sounds_.
Perharps the better thing could be rename our way Gut ..er Gatts ...Gatsu...
When his name is written in alphabet on "official stuff", it's spelled "Guts".
"Gattsu" _is_ the way you would write/say the English word "guts" in Japanese.
Miura himself said the name came from the English word "guts".
I rest my case. -__-

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
No, it's not. -__-
It's officially spelled "Guts" in alphabet, and it's written (and said) "gattsu" in Japanese.
It has nothing to do with the Japanese "not caring about how a stranger would pronounce the names".
It's just that the Japanese language is based on a limited range of different sounds, so, when they have to write/say foreign names, they just use the most appripriate sounds there are _among the existing Japanese sounds_.
When his name is written in alphabet on "official stuff", it's spelled "Guts".
"Gattsu" _is_ the way you would write/say the English word "guts" in Japanese.
Miura himself said the name came from the English word "guts".
I rest my case. -__-

Nice one. ;D

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
I thought she was referring to Guts.

Although, that's another similarity between Guts and Griffith, both have had "encounters" with rather pedophilic bastards.

Of course they each also killed the one who reamed them. :)

Sometimes Berserk just gives me this warm fuzzy feeling. ;D

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
I would not say that the two occurences were "similar". Griffith was PAID for it,  and the reason he did kill Genon was to have the rumors not spread. He admited it himself. So, like I see it , between Genon and Griffith, the worse bastard was Griffith

Top Bottom