Gigantomakhia—new 6-part scifi miniseries by Miura

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
To summarize it briefly:

After the Titan's hood breaks, the oracle's thoughts are gone (her mind is blank). Prome notices that the Titan is following a life-sustaining program and will devour the people and destroy the den, and tells Delos to restrain it. She tells him to remember that their goal isn't to completely destroy the enemy giant. Their goal is to stop the Titans' activity as vanguards of the Olympus gods, so that they go back to their original role, to be the flesh of Gaia.

To disable the giant, every single one of its cells should be hit at once. In order to do so, 70% of Goura's nectar is converted to nitro-nectar. IGNITION, and they're off to the sky. ICARUS FALL! Titan neutralized.

Prome tells Delos not to care about the battle below, as their goal has been reached. But Delos intervenes anyway, and as Goura dematerializes, he begs the Scarabae not to kill the Hu. They're outraged of course, asking him how he could say so given what was done to them, etc. He repeats his plea. Ogun grabs him and asks him if he really is a dog of the empire after all. But as Delos stands up, his scars are shown. The wounds he got as Goura remain as scars on his body, for the two are one. Prome explains that his brain has converted the damage he received as Goura to his body, leaving those scars.

The Scarabae don't care, their bitterness and desire for revenge is too strong. Delos is resigned, but Prome intervenes telepathically (in a way very reminiscent of Sonia) and addresses all of them. She tells them that in a hundred years, all of this desert will be a living and flourishing area. It's because by "planting" the Titan in the earth, the land will grow rich life. Prome can manipulate the memory of the empire's soldiers, so that all of the information regarding their location will be deleted, ensuring they can never come back there again. She says that if they accept Delos' wish, it will happen. She tells them to choose: revenge about the past or prosperity in the future. And somehow, despite the bloodlust, a child's cry manages to finally defuse the situation. Delos, tears in his eyes, thanks Prome for what she did.

Later, as they watch the Hu convoy depart, Prome says that when the soldiers will come back to the empire, they'll have forgotten all about the desert, and will instead feel a very powerful fear about it. They talk a bit and Prome asks why life is so important to Delos, things like that. She tells him that since lives are so important to him, he wants to let more lives exist by destroying the Olympus gods. He on the other hand tells her that she's the best goddess to him for all his life, which prompts her to retreat a bit shyly to her ball-form. Then it's back full circle and their enigmatic pose and innuendo-filled dialogue from the beginning now makes sense as they resume their journey, walking towards the distant sun.

----------

I have to say, it's quite an amazing way to end the series, though it was mostly expected, and though we've got one more episode to go as a bonus (which was a last minute decision apparently). I imagine (i.e. hope) it will shed some light on the gods of Olympus, Gaia and the Titans, and maybe on how Prome and Delos first met, but that's probably asking a bit much for a late bonus.

Anyway, I think this series if anything reaffirms how great of a storyteller Miura is. It's really humbling to me to witness his talent. And I really like what he's done with Delos too. He really is a different character from Guts, it's almost fascinating to me. They're so close yet so far.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the detailed summary, Aaz! I love how the story loops by the end, as their banter continues into the sunset. It all ends so cleanly, in fact, that I'm having trouble wondering what the surprise next issue is going to be. Holding out for a side story (of a side story...?) on how Delos and Prome met, since that's the one big loose thread, at least for me.

Regarding Delos and his scars, seeing them mirrored from Goura's damage made me wonder about how often they've been through such a thing. Afterall, Delos has many battle scars, and not all of them may be from his time in the arena. Like Aaz said, the similarities and differences between Delos and Guts are pretty fascinating to consider. I'm not so sure Guts would take a blow like that to save complete strangers. The series ended with such a surprisingly positive, anti-war message. I was taken aback.

Will have more to say on the podcast, as usual.

For the extra episode, i'll be happy to see Delos' life as a gladiator/fighting slave and exactly how/why/from whom he finally escaped.

Thanks for the summary, Aaz! Can't wait to pick it up to read tomorrow. I was re-reading the series last week and realized we get an early glimpse of the Kushan 'eye' design in the arena (2nd episode) and those bald heads on top of pillars are reminiscent of the beherit's design.

Mammon

Mangoku army
(I created this account years ago, but it's only my second post, so sorry if my English is awkward, I'm French)

Well that "miniseries" was amazing. At first I was a bit disappointed because I wanted some Berserk (my favorite manga), but I ended up loving Gigantomakhia. And I've never been a huge "robot manga" fan, except for Evangelion.
Hopefully it will be published in one volume in France or USA, because I really want it in my collection, and be able to read it like a real manga, not on the computer.

And in hindsight, if something should have been turned into a movie, I wish it would have been this one since the Berserk project was a complete failure (IMHO). I'm a sucker for adaptations though, and imagining Gigantomakhia as an anime/movie (I know they won't adapt it, I'm just day-dreaming) gets me pumped.

Anyway thanks to all of you guys for your interesting discussions about this miniseries in this thread, it made the experience of reading it even more interesting.
Mammon, usually just a lurker.

Mammon said:
Hopefully it will be published in one volume in France or USA, because I really want it in my collection, and be able to read it like a real manga, not on the computer.

You can also pick up YA issues so you can read it in physical format. More info on which specific issues can be seen here.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
I hope to one day continue to read that story.

I'm so glad he's gonna continue, theres so much potential here. Though this is quite the preview, I don't imagine he will revisit it for a decade :T Still I will be there with bated breath

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Miura's comment in this YA was: "One day I wish to continue this story."

I certainly hope he does. The concepts he laid out are worth a few more volumes, at least.

IncantatioN said:
Also excited for that upcoming bonus episode.

And with his comment here, I really wonder what that extra issue is going to be...?

Mammon

Mangoku army
IncantatioN said:
You can also pick up YA issues so you can read it in physical format. More info on which specific issues can be seen here.

Thanks for the link! I did buy a few issues of Young Animal over the years, but since I don't read Japanese... :judo:
I'm all for supporting Miura (I bought all the Berserk volumes (and a bunch of other Berserk-related stuff) that are out in French, and I generally buy all the manga series I follow) but not to the point of buying stuff I can't read...
But that's another topic.

I'm also very curious about that "bonus" episode. Maybe something about Delos's youth, like he did with Guts recently.
I'm sure Miura will deliver anyway. He always does.

Damnit. That page near the end of the sixth episode with Delos thanking Pome.... :azan:
This mini series was such a cool treat. Granted, I still cannot wait to get Berserk back, but this was so awesome and I really hope Miura does come back to visit this someday.

I just finished reading it , the 6 vols in a row.
It was great , I really liked it. Pity its ending so soon. The world he built had so much mistery and fantasy to it.
Miura hasn't lost his creative abilities. Even if he had to take a break from Berserk, I think it was worth it.
I wish he would hire a team to speed up the drawing process , so that he could create more stories

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sankari said:
I wish he would hire a team to speed up the drawing process , so that he could create more stories

This just in: he already has a team of assistants. Has had one for 20 years.

Prome is such a hottie! I hope they do an Anime adaptation of this, Would be great for numerous panty shots!

I guess they would probably change Prome's method of reviving Delos though....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zoddiscute said:
Prome is such a hottie! I hope they do an Anime adaptation of this, Would be great for numerous panty shots!

Really? Don't you think you're severely missing the point?

Aazealh said:
Really? Don't you think you're severely missing the point?

Nope, the main thing I came away thinking about from this Manga is Prome's upskirt shots and sweet nectar.

This Manga has everything really, interesting characters and setting, cool massive monsters, deep philosophical sub text, cute loli girl, what more could you ask for?

I really like Delos's character, that line about how giving into hate felt like loosing is well cool.

Really should make a good Anime of this.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zoddiscute said:
Nope, the main thing I came away thinking about from this Manga is Prome's upskirt shots and sweet nectar.

I hope you're being sarcastic, in which case, given that it was the only thing you had to say about the series out of its entire run, you'll have to excuse me for taking exception to it, especially since there aren't actually any "panty shots" in Gigantomakhia. And if you're being serious, well honestly that's pretty fucking sad.

Jaze1618 said:
:mozgus: No more anime on Miura's work ever please. Thank you.

I meant good Anime, get a good team to do it not like the last Berserk Anime, I thought the original series was excellent though, could have been better obviously but it captured a lot of the spirit of the Manga overall.

Zoddiscute said:

This Manga has everything really, interesting characters and setting, cool massive monsters, deep philosophical sub text, cute loli girl, what more could you ask for?

I really like Delos's character, that line about how giving into hate felt like loosing is well cool.

Really should make a good Anime of this.

Hahahahahaha. Oh man, dude. You can see how your statements are gonna get torn asunder, right?

Top Bottom