Gigantomakhia—new 6-part scifi miniseries by Miura

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Oh well. You guys got a BIG edition, and that's pretty damned cool. :isidro:

Still waiting for dark horse to do something about that. Scared of the translation though and like it's been mentioned, I'd really like Viz to steal that one for the English version! (even though the chances are slim since DH have pretty much released everything by Miura, of course except his old work)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Still waiting for dark horse to do something about that. Scared of the translation though and like it's been mentioned, I'd really like Viz to steal that one for the English version! (even though the chances are slim since DH have pretty much released everything by Miura, of course except his old work)

I'm not sure Dark Horse would necessarily get exclusive rights to it. It'd be a separate license from Berserk. Maybe DH would get first dibs or something.

Also, Dark Horse did release his older stuff (Japan & King of Wolves, at least).

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
I'm not sure Dark Horse would necessarily get exclusive rights to it. It'd be a separate license from Berserk. Maybe DH would get first dibs or something.

Also, Dark Horse did release his older stuff (Japan & King of Wolves, at least).

Yeah I knew about king of wolves and japan. I have king of wolves at home. (wanted to have his artwork). I'd just prefer to have a good translation for that one even though I don't make the difference between a good and a bad translation (relating on you guys to notice the difference :serpico: )

Dark Horse finally revealed at their panel at Anime Central that they licensed it and it'll be released in February 2016.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-16/dark-horse-adds-giganto-maxia-rg-veda-danganronpa-i-am-a-hero-manga/.88232

Re: Re: Gigantomakhia—new 6-part scifi miniseries by Miura

BTW the German special edition I bought at Leipzig trade fair is the same as the normal edition but comes with hardcover.

chapters has it up on their site for release on February 23rd 2016

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/giganto-maxia/9781616559472-item.html?ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0

Just got my Volume this week! It took me some time to get, but im glad that i finally get to own this series. The more i go through the more the story and art grows on me.

By the way the Cover also looks much better on the actual Volume, especially prome is painted very nicely.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mangetsu said:
By the way the Cover also looks much better on the actual Volume, especially prome is painted very nicely.

I know right? Seeing it on screen really doesn't do it justice.

Anyone get the Dark Horse release yet? The binding itself has a nice quality to it. They may have put more effort into this as it is a single release. There are some... weird choices they went with in the translation, typical Dark Horse shenanigans. :schierke: It's great to be able to sit down and read this in English though, this really is a great little story Miura created.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mine still hasn't shipped... I preordered it more than a month ago. Amazon must be having issues with stocking it.

What kind of translation issues?

Walter said:
Mine still hasn't shipped... I preordered it more than a month ago. Amazon must be having issues with stocking it.

What kind of translation issues?

Unfortunately it seems it won't be released through Amazon until March 8th, I ordered mine off of TFAW.

I don't have my copy on hand, but off the top of my head: the giants are referred to as giganto, there's a term on the very first page that seems to have been left untranslated with a note saying *monsters, and a lot of Prome's dialogue is questionable. Nothing that really ruins it completely; it's consistent with the quality of the translation for Berserk. It's probably also worth noting that it is a different translator.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rupert Sinclair said:
Unfortunately it seems it won't be released through Amazon until March 8th, I ordered mine off of TFAW.

I don't have my copy on hand, but off the top of my head: the giants are referred to as giganto, there's a term on the very first page that seems to have been left untranslated with a note saying *monsters, and a lot of Prome's dialogue is questionable. Nothing that really ruins it completely; it's consistent with the quality of the translation for Berserk. It's probably also worth noting that it is a different translator.
Nice. Thanks for looking into it. Giganto?! Wtf... As for the "monsters" thing, I'll check when mine ships, but I think that term might have been in the Young Animal release, but removed from volume, as tends to happen with text on the first few pages of releases.

The bit about Prome's dialogue has me worried though... There's an opportunity to make her sound unique based on her style of speech (think Data), but also a potential to make it go OVERBOARD. Which would be too bad, since she's a great character.

Walter said:
Giganto?! Wtf...

In Greek mythology "Gigantomachia" is the war between the Giants and the Olympian Gods, these giants were also called "gigantes", although I don't speak a word of Greek maybe "giganto" could be the singular/plural of "gigantes" ?
In this case it would make sense.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
foolpuck said:
In Greek mythology "Gigantomachia" is the war between the Giants and the Olympian Gods, these giants were also called "gigantes", although I don't speak a word of Greek maybe "giganto" could be the singular/plural of "gigantes" ?

Sure, but as I recall, they weren't called that way in Japanese.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
foolpuck said:
Nope, the singular is "Gigas", the pluras "Gigantes", if I recall correctly.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rupert Sinclair said:

They never fail to fail, it seems.

Walter said:
As for the "monsters" thing, I'll check when mine ships

The whole line: "Far in the future... Beyond the end of history... ...Myths are resurrected. They are... Terata. *monsters They are... GIGANTO."

No Terata in the German translation ^^

"In einer... ...fernen Zukunft... ...bevor das... ...Ende naht... ...kehrt der... ...Mythos zurück... ...gemeint sind die Monster... gemeint sind... ...die Giganten."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rupert Sinclair said:
The whole line: "Far in the future... Beyond the end of history... ...Myths are resurrected. They are... Terata. *monsters They are... GIGANTO."

I can confirm that in the Japanese volume, there's only the kanji for "monster" in that line. And then the kanji for "giant". Nothing was changed from the prepublication.

Also, the only use of "terata" I can think of is as the plural of "teras", a word used in the medical field to refer to severely malformed fetuses. I imagine the translator thought he or she was being clever by using a special word, but why take such liberties? Your job is to faithfully convey the original meaning from a language to another, not make shit up. It's really quite disappointing, and I daren't think of what they did to the rest of the text.

Top Bottom