Green Photography

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
It's always nice to see other people who practice photography, I'd post some of my own work but I'm not about to show-boat on your thread.
You've got a good sense of composition and lighting. I can complain that I can't always tell what it is that I'm supposed to be looking at in some of your shots but I think that that's just my personal preference. I like the Cinema project, keep it up and have fun.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Wow, Christie's a little more "well built" than I thought! I love these photos Green, with "The Rialto/The Last Silver Screen in Columbus" as my favorite. I can tell you are a photo major, you have the eye for it!
Can I print out "The Rialto/The Last Silver Screen in Columbus" and "Columbus Square 8"? I wish for them to go on my wall!

Uhhh, I could make 11x14 - 16x20 prints of them for you.

For a price. :badbone:

Thanks for the warm comments. Everyone's favorite seems to be The Rialto. No one has made mention of Columbus Square 8 before. I'm glad someone else appreciates it. :serpico:

P.S. Wraith, make a thread for your own. Let's have more photography here!

Forest Wraith

I'll be sure to consider it. I'm sure it would be good for both my post-count and my reputation.

Also, there is something very important I'm glad I remembered to mention: If you are going to be posting your work on a public forum like this Be sure to Water-mark it! You can whip one up and edit it into your images all in MS Paint: In some ways, you have to trust people but if your work is water-marked wherever it's posted: No one can just claim that they didn't know it was your work if turns up where it shouldn't be. It's not fool-proof but it's about as much insurance as you can get on the Internet.

Great stuff. My favourites are the Columbus Square 8 and The Gates of the Bishop. I reckon they'd make great locations for a short film.

All the Pretty Colors!

Feels like such a long time since this thread's been updated.

This summer, I'm finishing up yet another in a long line of photography classes.

It began with the intentions of continuing the Cinema project, but when I realized the amount of dread I held for that project and the negative amount of interest, I decided that I just wouldn't do it. For now. I'm sure I'll continue it later, but I wanted to move on.

So, I picked up my 35mm for the first time in a few months and the experience of both wonderful and freeing. I felt loosed upon the world and not tied to a rather large and cumbersome piece of equipment. And then I noticed the grain. I couldn't see past the grain, even in enlarging only to 8x10 that's all that I felt my images held.

I'd never been so bothered by that before. So, I've now decided to purchase a 6x7 or 6x9 whenever I get the cash. My friend works at Sammy's in L.A. and can get a good discount, so I'll have to check with him.

Needless to say, those 35mm images will never be shown.

I will, however, show the newest project involving color!

These are taken with the same camera as the Cinema Project, the Toyo 4x5 Field Camera and used Fuji NPS 160. This will be the last time I use NPS instead of NPL.

Those of you who really don't care, I apologize for making you read this, if you haven't already skipped ahead.

loHallnRifle.jpg

loGrayIroning1.jpg

loGray.jpg

loFoleySitting.jpg

loFoleynGray3.jpg

loClapinSewing.jpg

loBed-Hadley.jpg

squash.jpg

loredladder.jpg

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Fantastic work as usual, Green! You seemed to catch those folks at the right moment, they seem very content and comfortable with you. And that last pic with the ladder in the distance is tripping me out, I can't stop looking at it!

Wow I really like some of your stuff, my favorites are The Remains of the Grand and the last one of the ladder.
The pink shirt wearing guys are cool too :serpico:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Very nice stuff. I especially like the shot with the guy with a dog and the guy with a cat. Nice composition.

Thank you all very much for the kind words.
I plan on redoing some of the imperfects as soon as the semester starts, as well as having more new people and (perhaps) two more projects. :carcus:

Only time will tell.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I really like your B&W stuff. :serpico:

The symmetrical fence, the chair on the wood porch, and the bridge pics kick particular ass. I really wish the lizard one was more easily identifiable (he gets kinda lost in there), but its still good.

Forest Wraith

The color set features some very well composed candid shots. It must be nice having diverse subjects who don't scream and run away when you pull out a camera . . .

Edit: I just noticed the Lizard in one of your shots, is it stuck to a window? Or in mid-leap?

Thanks guys, in honor of you, I'm giving you more! :casca:

bhm08.jpg

bhm07.jpg

bhm06.jpg

Whilst on a trip to Savannah this summer past, I found myself taking a number of images of the trashcans that littered the alleys and streets of the city. At the time, I'd no explanation for this sudden fascination, except for feeling a strong sense of urgency, humor, and inspiration. Not knowing what to do with them, I left those images alone, and soon forgot I'd taken them at all. I've recently come across them again and in viewing them together realised what kind of inspiration had struck months before. It's funny how you can identify with inanimate objects, and even go so far as to personify them. I call the following four images "The Community."

bhm05.jpg

"Sharing the Load"

bhm04.jpg

"Gossip"

bhm03.jpg

"Waiting for the Bus"

bhm02.jpg

"Hoodlums"

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Those last four photographs kind of hit home for me. They remind me of the alley I always used to play in when I was a kid, right down to the standard black numbered trash cans. Chicago was a strange place to grow up in, let's just say your friend Handsome has come a long way. I love these new photos Green, perhaps garbage cans have feelings too.

CnC

Ad Oculos
yea I never was a big fan of this type of art (i'm dull that way). Did you do these or take the pictures of them?

Well, since we don't have a specific degree in photography - but instead a general fine art degree - I was FORCED to take painting twice! This was, honestly, the best of what I did. After the semester was over, I donated the canvas for scrap.

I hated every minute of it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
The painting classes I had to take were pretty bad, as well. It wasn't until much later that I developed an appreciation for it.

Well, my teacher was fine. He knew his shit and was a pleasure to be around. I just don't have any patience for anything but photo and film.

Which, by the way, I will have some new photos soon. :carcus:

Top Bottom