Griffith's choice

Allow me to resurrect an ancient thread:

My two favorite characters are Griffith and Guts, of course! Can't pick one.

They are top charismatic, even iconic. And they are the ones who make everything spin and evolve.
Now, although these two guys alone were enough for me to want to read Berserk, I'm glad the story has plenty of other sound, captivating characters.

In regards to the Eclipse:
While I consider Griffith's decision (IE, to sacrifice) to be absolutely monstrous and egotistical, it kind of had its foundations... For example, if he didn't proceed, all of those he drove to death before would die in vain. He was caught in a everything-or-nothing node.
However, we all know what was the first thing he did with the power he acquired by sacrifice the remain friends... But I don't know what he plans to do until the end with such power, so, then again, here comes the classic question: does the ends really justify the means?
If he creates a Utopian society (based on equality, not ranks determined by the family name, no wars, etc. etc.), in the long term is it worth the extra lives wasted at the end?
And one must notice that he hurt by loosing his friends - much more than the rest of the deceased Hawks until that point, who he had little to no emotional connection with.
I could go on and on, but I'll save it for later

The funniest thing is that if he was a clear "bad guy" or just an antagonist from day one, none of his actions would be so discussed and controversial and brain-crashing. That's why it works so well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Patovs said:
Allow me to resurrect an ancient thread

Denied.

Patovs said:
However, we all know what was the first thing he did with the power he acquired by sacrifice the remain friends...

Don't forget that he underwent a deep transformation. It changed him at the core of his being. Femto isn't just Griffith with superpowers.

Patovs said:
But I don't know what he plans to do until the end with such power, so, then again, here comes the classic question: does the ends really justify the means?
If he creates a Utopian society (based on equality, not ranks determined by the family name, no wars, etc. etc.), in the long term is it worth the extra lives wasted at the end?

There's no need to wonder. Femto is evil, and his end goal is not the betterment of mankind, nor of the world in general.

Patovs said:
And one must notice that he hurt by loosing his friends - much more than the rest of the deceased Hawks until that point, who he had little to no emotional connection with.

He has never shown any remorse for the sacrifice, nor any sign of being hurt by his decision.

Top Bottom