Griffith's face

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
Well I'm sure he would've known if his face had gotten THAT fucked up. He was present for his own torture after all. And at that point his characted was already completely humiliated.

I don't think so, he hadn't lost all dignity even though his condition was miserable. Even with a broken body, the once-so-pretty Griffith didn't appear with a scarred face. There's something almost symbolic here, with him keeping the helm and all. Now about him being present at his own torture: given his crime, and given the treatment he received, do you believe he would have been able to have kids with Casca? ::) A dream is a dream.

DarkDragoon said:
Haha true. Do you happen to have a picture from the manga of Griffith in the dream?

Here's two pictures, one that shows how he is depicted during most of the scene, and another that shows his face the most:

Griffithdream.jpg

DarkDragoon said:
Also, as mentioned before(I think, I don't feel like re-reading through the thread,) we were able to see Griffith's face through the helmet from many different angles..

What we see of his face is always darkened, same stuff. Anyway I'm not going to restate my opinion again and again, I think "Gaiseric The Great" got it right when he said that "what you don’t see is usually worse then what you do", it's all about letting the reader's imagination doing the job. And to me the fact that we see or not parts of his face under the helm that "seem" to be intact doesn't mean much (some panels show his nose as well as the rest, shadowed of course). It's all a matter of implication.

Anyway, when they went to free Griffith, Guts noticed his tendons were cut, he saw that his flesh had been torn off, his ribs were visible, etc. But when he looked at his face after that, he still reacted like that:

Griffithface.jpg

I think you should check the manga to get an idea, it's more subtle than just what we can see through the helm, IMHO.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
In the anime, it really shows alot of his face through the helmet, and quite clearly.

I know that, no need to insist.

DarkDragoon said:
So I definatly want to see how it is in the manga.. and so I will wait for Dark Horse.

As I've been saying, it's not just a matter of seeing through the helm, but if you want to keep on this line, you can take a look at this precise picture, I've played with the contrast a bit so you could discern the scars on his face.

DarkDragoon said:
Sorry for bombarding this thread with so many pictures, I just felt like getting my point about the anime's lack of Griffith disfiguration across.

Yeah, well I changed it to links because it was indeed a bit much.

number18 makes a good point, saying that it could just be the way Griffith looks at Guts that freaks him out so much....or maybe Griffith's entire face (the parts covered by the helmet anyway) was like completely stripped of skin and flesh and like brains and bone stuck out....thats pretty gruesome imo...but Miura probably just wanted to toy with us...oh well, fun to speculate.

Hideo

Its not my fault, its a hardware problem.
Maybe hes hair was cut? I cant see none at the anime version, but i wouldnt count on it. :D

Maybe guts was confused because the face was clean and handsome, and the rest of the body was mutilated, bruised and skinless. I Dunno, ask Miura. I have only read the 2 of the Berserk mangas, so pardon my abknowledge.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Violent Angel said:
number18 makes a good point, saying that it could just be the way Griffith looks at Guts that freaks him out so much...

No she doesn't, Griffith's eyes are closed when Guts removes his helmet, he opens them shortly after.

Hideo said:
Maybe hes hair was cut? I cant see none at the anime version, but i wouldnt count on it. :D

His hair wasn't cut (not entirely at least), you see plenty of it in the manga.

Hideo said:
Maybe guts was confused because the face was clean and handsome, and the rest of the body was mutilated, bruised and skinless. I Dunno, ask Miura. I have only read the 2 of the Berserk mangas, so pardon my abknowledge.

The problem is that you didn't read the thread carefully before replying. Because if you had done that, you'd know that his face isn't clean and handsome, we can actually see scars on it, I even posted the panel in question...

Hideo

I padon for my abcesnse of mind, I really do. :-\ This is indeed a tricky question, and I must pardon that "ask Miura" s*it. I Am not really there yet, 'couse i have only read the 2 first mangas, as i said before. This takes place At somewhere between apisodes 15-25, am i correct? I would have read all the Berserk mangas, but my budget, well.... its quite short. I get 10 Euros per month, and the manga costs 16 Euros. So, thats tuff. But i can live with that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hideo said:
I padon for my abcesnse of mind, I really do. :-\ This is indeed a tricky question, and I must pardon that "ask Miura" s*it. I Am not really there yet, 'couse i have only read the 2 first mangas, as i said before. This takes place At somewhere between apisodes 15-25, am i correct? I would have read all the Berserk mangas, but my budget, well.... its quite short. I get 10 Euros per month, and the manga costs 16 Euros. So, thats tuff. But i can live with that.
Don't sweat it. You'll get there. Its a loooong series, and even once you have all the volumes, takes a while to process everything.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hideo said:
This is indeed a tricky question, and I must pardon that "ask Miura" s*it. I Am not really there yet, 'couse i have only read the 2 first mangas, as i said before.

It's really not that big of a deal, as Walter said, it's just that the previous posts contained all the information needed already, including pictures. It's important to pay attention to what other people say and to search for older threads if you want to be taken seriously.

Hideo said:
I would have read all the Berserk mangas, but my budget, well.... its quite short. I get 10 Euros per month, and the manga costs 16 Euros. So, thats tuff. But i can live with that.

16€? Not sure where you buy it, but that seems to be a lot to me. Should be at least twice less. I don't want to start a whole off-topic discussion around this, but you can search on the forum for threads about good and reliable shops that sell the manga at reasonable prices.

Hideo

Yup, I really should, but that shop is the only shop within 100 km within my range, so it would cost as much in any case. So i just have to deal with that. I could be possible to order it from the web, (amazon, etc.) But it would cost me a few Es + from the posting. But, I can live with that.

Hatter

I've only read that volume once, but didn't the torturer mention something about examining the layers of muscles of Griffith's face? Maybe his cheeks were gone...

I'm probably wrong, but...

And I just want to say, though, that post-torture Griffith is one of the most unsettling things I've ever seen - sure, Griffith wasn't that great of a person, but no one deserves to suffer like that. Death would've been far more merciful than leaving him alive in that pitiful state. And having his old helmet on just makes it a sad parody of his former, shining self. Not to mention the unseen horror of what's under the helmet.
I was almost glad when he became Femto - at least he got rid of that broken body.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Hatter said:
I've only read that volume once, but didn't the torturer mention something about examining the layers of muscles of Griffith's face? Maybe his cheeks were gone...

yeah i didnt read that volume yet but i was gessing that maybe his cheeks or the skin of his face was kinda peeled off like void or similar... could be a possibility of a terrifying picture to watch

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hatter said:

He talks a lot about how Griffith's body is perfect, both from outside and inside, how he carefully tortured him, etc. About his face he just says that when he cut it open he could admire his peach-colored muscles... A shame Guts killed such a wonderful individual.

jackson_hurley said:
yeah i didnt read that volume yet but i was gessing that maybe his cheeks or the skin of his face was kinda peeled off like void or similar...

Usually it's better to refrain from posting if you haven't read the volume... Anyway, Griffith's face wasn't like Void's, you can see that his mouth is intact (except for the tongue of course) in the manga. I posted a picture that shows his scars a bit in the thread, have a look at it again.

I don't see why Griffith's face wasn't included in the manga... it would have been so simple and then we wouldn't have to idly (idley?) speculate on it. Personally, i think his face was all scarred, and generally disfigured.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Castaway said:
I don't see why Griffith's face wasn't included in the manga...

Think harder then, or just read the thread.

Aazealh said:
"what you don’t see is usually worse then what you do", it's all about letting the reader's imagination doing the job.

The author wants you not to know, it's part of the trick.

Aazealh said:
A shame Guts killed such a wonderful individual.

have a look at it again.

I know I was hoping for a spin off featuring him, Vargas, and their gimpy friend tortured Griffith - a sort of Bishonen series for the nihilistic generation, maybe they would be minstrels... or rockstars. Oh! Vargas could have an artifical laserbeam eye that he uses to fight crime. Griffith could comunicate by blowing on a leaf.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Actually, not showing Griffith's face was a bit reminiscent of Mad Max when Max pulls back the sheet from Goose's face. This only after his charred, mangled hand falls out from under the sheet.

Well, I think everyone agrees that Griffith's face was extremely fucked up by that little imp dude.  How fucked up?  We'll see in 15 - 20 years or so when Guts kills him  :beast: and he reverts back to his human form, like all the other Apostles.  Or maybe he won't?  Slan turned into a bunch of Intestines, but that's because that's what she was composed of.  Maybe he'll turn into that fetus baby.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
aquateenz said:
he reverts back to his human form, like all the other Apostles.

Griffith isn't an apostle. Besides, he (as Femto) was incarnated into a new body, I don't see how he could revert into anything. The Demon Child's body was transformed and grew into the present Griffith, that's all.

aquateenz said:
Slan turned into a bunch of Intestines, but that's because that's what she was composed of.

It really has nothing to do with the rest. She had materialized herself using bowels and when she left the Qliphoth they took back their natural form. It was rough and temporary, not unlike what Conrad did with rats in volume 17.

While we're on the note of Griffith's body, what happened to it? Was it just changed so that he would become Femto? Or was it destroyed and a new body created for Griffith. I remember there being an egg with Griffith in it during the Eclipse, then Femto coming out, so I think that his physical body became the Astral body. What do you think?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
aquateenz said:
I remember there being an egg with Griffith in it during the Eclipse, then Femto coming out, so I think that his physical body became the Astral body. What do you think?

Well, from what we can see his former body sort of dissolved (at least partly) and then was reformed as Femto while it was in the closed fist. So yeah, his old human body basically ceased to exist (underwent a transmutation), and Femto's new body was ethereal.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
I'm not sure on that, but my guess is his body was dissolving during the period he felt he was falling, spoke to Idea, etc. During that time I think his body sort of decomposed, and in the "egg" the fetus of Femto was formed, and quickly began to grow. When Griffith feels like he is "falling", its just his sould or subconcious mind. Then he is placed back into the new, re-born body of Femto and hatches.

Just a guess though.

edit: woops, Aaz beat me to it. I basicly mean what he said.

I am confident now that due to his physical state and eyes being closed that at first Gatts thinks that Griffith may be dead.......YEA! I think that's probably it.... :serpico:

Indeed everyone likes gimpy....

berserker88

The Raging Demon
When there in the prison cell were Griffith was being tortured, and Guts removed the mask/helmet what did he see??? Or rather what did the guy do to Griffiths face???

Top Bottom