Grindhouse

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Got a chance to view a midnight screening last night and it was a blast. Planet of terror was a splatterific gorefest and Death Proof was pretty good as well. The 4 trailers were absolutuely amazing and corny. I haven't had such a good time at the movies in a long time, check it out!

Edit: Aw crap, I put this in the videogames section instead of the movie section! Sorry! :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
What I've seen of it looked entertaining, I'll try to check it out whenever I'll get the opportunity. :serpico:

Planet of terror was a splatterific gorefest and Death Proof was pretty good as well. The 4 trailers were absolutuely amazing and corny. I haven't had such a good time at the movies in a long time, check it out!
I was hoping someone would comment on this film, I'll be seeing it as soon as it hits theaters over here. Thanks for the heads up man!

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Just got back -- a couple of great movies. I didn't think I'd be saying this, but I preferred Planet Terror. I really didn't like the end of Death Proof. I won't give much away, but even the wife loved it -- that's saying something.

Listen out for the random Zatōichi reference. :guts:

Haha, Just saw the movies yesturday afternoon. It was a romping good time. The corniness was definitely part of the fun, the trailers and super-old bumps just adding to that. Tarantino is such a nerd, always putting himself in his movies... but atleast he's up for poking fun at himself! (And killing himself! hahaha)

Though I must say I liked Death Proof better of the two. It was a joyride of a flick and had the whole theatre cheering and clapping the entire time. The only drawback was that, considering this is the south, there were two infantile babies in the audience that cried straight through. It almost added to the atmosphere...

I plan to see it some time this month/next week. I keep hearing from a lot of friends that they're divided on death proof/planet terror, but a lot said they "Cheered and Clapped" in DP just like delusion said. Can anyone (minimum/no spoilers please) enlighten me as to why?

As for Zatōichi, Uriel, what movie has the reference and can you give me a ballpark place to look out for it?

Just got back from seeing it, and it was definitely one of the funner movies i've seen in a theatre, although i was much more knowledgable with the original source material than my friends who attended

All in all, if i HAD to choose, I'd say Planet Terror was the better picture, as it maintained a solid pace throughout. Death Proof started out EXTREMELY slow, but once it got going, it was more exhilerating than anything I saw in Planet Terror.

The beginning of Death Proof sounded like some random writer wanting to be Quentin Tarantino instead of Quentin Tarantino. Lots of talking, not a lot of interesting things said. I was dissapointed, there wasnt a whole lot of Tarantinos humor in the dialogue, which is usually why he can get away with extended dialogue scenes essentially about nothing. Felt that Kurt Russel was kind of underused in the whole scheme of things.

All in all, well worth the money for sure. Didnt feel like three hours!

Manji, I think that a lot of things that happen in DP are just exactly what the audience wants. A good way to put it, non-spoiler, is if you were watching a horror flick, and shaking your head telling the characters "don't go in that room! he's behind you! run run!" and then the character suddenly acted exactly as you wanted. I feel a lot of scenes in DP are JUST what you want, and so people are so taken aback by receiving that, they start cheering wildly. Hahaha!

And not to step on Uriel's feet, but the Zatōichi reference is also in DP, and sometime in the first half, in one of the many talking scenes. It's hard to remember exactly how far in, because, as The Beast noted, it does drag in the beginning.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
delusion said:
The only drawback was that, considering this is the south, there were two infantile babies in the audience that cried straight through. It almost added to the atmosphere...

Wow, people bringing infants at the theater to see Grindhouse? I don't think I could stay in there with two of them crying all the way through...

Yep, definitely looking forward to this one. One of the main reasons I want to see it is for Kurt Russell being on the big screen again, one of the best B-grade actors ever, if not the best.

Alas, there is no release date in sight for Grindhouse to come to cinemas in Australia, I suppose I'll just have to download it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Saw it on Friday and had a great time. Not a movie I'll be picking up on DVD when it comes out, but it was a very enjoyable experience at the theater. :serpico:

Rhombaad said:
Saw it on Friday and had a great time. Not a movie I'll be picking up on DVD when it comes out, but it was a very enjoyable experience at the theater. :serpico:

Say what?!

If you've seen the trailer, you get exactly what you expected. Totally fun to watch and tons of references to past Tarantino films.
Can't wait 'till it comes out on DVD.

Judo

Midlands finest
I'm totally pissed that Planet Terror and Death Proof will start here as two seperate movies because the Weinstein company thinks that the people in europe are not familiar with the concept of grindhouse-theaters.
I guess the only way for me to see the fake movie trailers is youtube then.
:puck:

Judo said:
I'm totally pissed that Planet Terror and Death Proof will start here as two seperate movies because the Weinstein company thinks that the people in europe are not familiar with the concept of grindhouse-theaters.
I guess the only way for me to see the fake movie trailers is youtube then.
:puck:

I've heard about that, and yeah that is crazy.

The whole point of the movie is its a double bill. Plus I guarantee that at least three quarters of the audiences here in america dont really know what a grindhouse is. I cant even begin to describe how many people I had to explain what "grindhouse" and "exploitation movies" meant.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Proj2501 said:
Say what?!

If you've seen the trailer, you get exactly what you expected. Totally fun to watch and tons of references to past Tarantino films.
Can't wait 'till it comes out on DVD.

Hey now, I said I had a great time and really enjoyed myself. Grindhouse just isn't the type of movie for me that I can watch over and over. Besides, I know one of my friends is definitely gonna pick it up, so I'm sure I'll end up seeing it again sometime. Glad you enjoyed it as much as you did, though. :serpico:

Guess Im the first dissenting opinion. I tend to have a love hate relationship with Tarantino and Rodriguez as I know that they can both pull off some great films if they focus, but both movies while having their moments were sloppy and I dont mean the missing scenes, cigarette burns, etc. which at times seemed like they were trying a bit too hard to Grindhouse flicks, that they were almost parodies of what those movies once were.

For each movie directly, I felt they suffered from both directors common problems with Rodriguez's being flash without anything underneath and Tarantino's being a lot of wordy pop reference crap that is seems like filler for the occasional cool scene (being the ending in Deathproof).

I liked Planet Terror more as overall it was a more enjoyable experience but I felt Rodriguez was trying (like with Sin City) to recreate another experience as a slick modern movie, and didnt quite pull it off.

Deathproof was great at the end, but the the 2/3's leading up to it were a borefest for me as I dont find Tarantino's banter all that interesting when a lot of the movie is basically just that.

Anyways, its an ok set of movies, but while Rodriguez seemed to mean well in his recreation, it looks like Tarantino's ego got ahold of Deathproof and had him shove in his cliche crappola.

I don't like the fact that Tarantino puts his name on a lot of movies. I mean I now its a way for others to get their big jump, but I think most of the films that "Tarantino Presents" could of made their way to the big screen and been just a popular without his name on it.

But yes I loved Grindhouse. Planet Terror was great! Kurt Russel was pretty bad ass too. I just glad Tarantino hasn't done a spy kids type flick.

I saw the movie two nights ago, I thought it was awesome.
Anyway I would like to inform the people who have seen this movie that 40 minutes of Machete has been filmed.
I cant wait for a release. :guts:
P.S. Sin City 2 and 3 are also in (pre-)production.

Info:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001675/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machete_%28film%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_City_2
Sin City 3 will probably only be made if the second one is hit.
speaking of sequels, Chronicles of Riddick might end up being a trilogy.

Ramen4ever said:
I saw the movie two nights ago, I thought it was awesome.
Anyway I would like to inform the people who have seen this movie that 40 minutes of Machete has been filmed.
I cant wait for a release. :guts:
P.S. Sin City 2 and 3 are also in production.

And where did you get this information

According to Wikipedia, Machete is infact being made into an actual film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machete_%28film%29

Aside from that, I did see Grindhouse last night and I absolutely loved it. Both movies were brilliant but I do think Death Proof was far better than Planet Terror. While Planet Terror was an ultra-violent Zombie killing spree, Death Proof was like a roller coaster ride that kept you on the edge of your seat until the fantastic ending. Although Death Proof was very dialogue-heavy I never felt as if the movie was dragging on at any point, it kept my interest til the very end. I really think people would have appreciated this movie more if it was either shown prior to Planet Terror or released as a completely separate film. It seems that seeing an ultra-violent gore-fest film first really got everyone hyped up, which in turn caused Death Proof to be more of a let down due to the lack of action/violent scenes.

Top Bottom