Grunbeld Apostle, full colour.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Reply from Art of War!

I got an e-mail reply from Art of War about the Grunbeld colouring I sent them, here is what they had to say, but excuse their poor English:
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003

Thank you very much.
I appreciate from the bottom of my heart.
It is wonderful coloring.
It is made reference.
Thank you very much.

ART OF WAR

I'm so chuffed with this :D My colouring made reference. Sweet 8) I'll be laughing at you people if a green and amethyst Grunbeld goes on sale too!

Onto the matter of colour. I don't want people using the file I took the time to colour and just alter it to colours they see fit. Walter and myself went through the spectrum to find colours that worked and the ones we chose worked a lot better. Some of you haven't taken into account that the area around them is on fire, so blues skies aren't really appropriate. Maybe now I will explain why I chose green and amethyst.

I based the scales on the colouring I did of Grunbeld sometime ago. Refresh your memory? I used green armour, as I felt it suited him perfectly. I applied this colour and method to the scales on his face, and the hard layer on his neck. The reason for amethyst was simply because it's my birthstone. Yes, I admit, Red would probably be a choicer colour, but I didn't want to keep up with the Jones' and just choose the most predictable choice of colours. Besides, Red and Green have been overused with dragons, and with Christmas trees too. As for blue... No.

The reason why the image is so bright be because Grunbeld is emitting light from his mouth. Crystals and gems carry light; hence the reason the corundum around his head is so bright. Also, the scales were highlighted and shaded extremely because of this light.

I guess a lot of you don't think about the aesthetics of the picture when you dogmatically spurt out what colour you want it to be. If you want a red and blue Grunbeld, colour your own and stop altering the Hue/Saturation of my hard work. Thanks.

my apologies for editting the colors on your artwork, Uriel. If i were better suited and educated in graphical software I would have created my own. I don't know what techniques you used to color in that way, but your's is an excellent rendition and i apologize for being an asshole and altering it without your permission. The same goes to Adamh411. both links are removed.

krunkster

mankowodaisuki
Re:Reply from Art of War!

Uriel said:
I got an e-mail reply from Art of War about the Grunbeld colouring I sent them,

It's so cool that they actually even read your email and then the fact that they seem to like it so much, very cool indeed.
Good Job. 8)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, it’s not green, but neither is Schierke's hair...

grungan.jpg

I’m back. 8)

-Griffith

M

medievald00d

Havent seen you in a while, but I like the pic.

lil too dark in my opinion though. You seem to like really dark pics...

Griffith

pheonixfenix said:
lil too dark in my opinion though. You seem to like really dark pics...

That's true, and my monitor is one of those ridiculous super resolution flat screen things; it lets me see everything perfectly, but something that's just right on my screen is lost on others depending on settings. Usually, things come out too damn dark.

I'll toss up a lighter one.

UPDATE: http://www.skullknight.net/griffith/grunganlight.jpg

I still like the contrasting light and dark of the first. This one is wussified. =)

M

medievald00d

much better, but still a little dark for me...then again, it might just be me...

btw, nice job on the coloring

Griffith

My method was a just mess for this one, but I think it had to be that way. Usually I color every individual thing with the multiply tool, but that would have been a pain in the ass in this case, and I'm lazy. Plus, the chances of all my individual color choices for every little part coming together in a good way were pretty grim, I don't need that kind of stress in my life. =) So, I basically just went ahead and wiped the whole fucking thing red to begin with, since that was the color I decided was going to be most prominent in the picture. Then I could focus more on the subtleties without having to worry every step of the way about it looking like a cluster fuck; gave me a lot more freedom within that zone to try different shit since I started with a working preview of what it would basically look like when finished. Kind of did it backward, but I think it gives it a lot more cohesion and “realism” than if I had tried going about it coloring book style.

-Griffith

P.S. The highlights of his corundum are a hot pink hue BTW. ;D

Aquedesin

See you soon my dear...
Well, it would be a rather great colorisation if the flame around him were orange (or blue ;D ) rather than the same red that the dragon...

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Griffith said:
That's true, and my monitor is one of those ridiculous super resolution flat screen things; it lets me see everything perfectly, but something that's just right on my screen is lost on others depending on settings. Usually, things come out too damn dark.
Nifty. The not-so-nice red gives it a more evil-apostle feel. I like it.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
A little too red in my opinion, but shit, we both know what we want the image to look like. Swell job though Griff and probably a lot easier to do than mine :-[

Hott pink on Grunbeld was a nice touch, but not exactly original :p ;D

Wow Griff, That colouring is awesome :eek:

That dark red hue give a very fearsome looking Dragon, but the only problem is a bit too red...

Griffith

That last one was okay, but I took everyone's suggestions into account; cut down on that nasty primary color of red (because a red fire dragon is so 1941), threw in some blue, and I think I perfected him with this one...

www.skullknight.net/griffith/grunganawesome.jpg

WHOA! TOTALLY WICKED AND BITCHEN! I'm going to send this to Art of War. Cross your fingers, and one day you may be able to pay $500 for a statue of that! ;) *thumbs up*

-Griffith

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Griffith said:
That last one was okay, but I took everyone's suggestions into account; cut down on that nasty primary color of red (because a red fire dragon is so 1941), threw in some blue, and I think I perfected him with this one...

WHOA! TOTALLY WICKED AND BITCHEN! I'm going to send this to Art of War. Cross your fingers, and one day you may be able to pay $500 for a statue of that! ;) *thumbs up*

-Griffith

Wow, it's like a bad trip, Griffith. Neat! (or should I say something like "totally rad!") ;D

lye

Nihilist!
Griffith said:

-Griffith
looks like he ate to many skittles,
i love the first one you did, i dont know how something can be too red? it looks great

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Son of a bitch! I knew I shouldnt have waited so long to post my Grundbeld drawing... Griffith took my idea of coloring him red.... :-[ I hate youu I hate you I hate you!

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
When AOW releases a prototype or I get sent a photo of what the statue looks like, rest assured it will be posted here. A statue of Grunbeld I believe is in the works right now:)

LG

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Wait til you see the colors on the AOW statue that's gonna be released in May of next year. That Grunbeld statue, and especially the LOCUS one, is awesome.

LG

Top Bottom