Guts and Silat

I was going through my books looking for specific scenes with Silat because I just find Silat to be a delight to enjoy (seriously who doesn't find this exotic character awesome), and I came across his first meeting with Guts and all their interactions in the Golden Age. And oh my God! I forgotten how much I enjoyed Guts and Silat's scenes! What I find it interesting about how these two interact is how Guts treats Silat. Silat is no one to sneeze at. He is dignified and poised and looks like a walking blade. Yet Guts treats him worse than he even treated Adon. Some how I find that absolutely hilarious! ADon was an ass clown. A walking joke, and I'm not saying Guts gave Adon ANY respect. But I would argue he treated Silat as more of a waste of his time than Adon. He makes fun of him and treats him like he is court jester or something. The fact that Silat is exotic is something Guts comments on. I loved how where any one else would be shitting themselves looking at Silat perform his flashy moves, Guts just seems perplexed and very unimpressed, and I think he likens him to a court jester or something. His reaction to Silat's fighting style is a "what the hell..." reaction. And then he just humiliates him.

My favorite thing Guts does to Silat is when he throws these flying discs at him (I forgot the name of these) Judo is all like "watch out!" and Guts just catches them. I love that silly grin Guts has on his face when he fllngs them away, Like it's just a game. I think that is probably one of my favorite non serious Guts moments. It's an aspect of his personalty I feel does not get much attention and definitely no one has ever bothered to translate to the visual media. No he is just a brooding Batman clone in these. No lighter side to him.

Silat has changed since meeting Guts and I like how his humiliating encounter with him has had such an impact on him. Silat is awseome and Guts has not left his mind. I sometimes wonder if Guts ever gives Silat a second thought even though he has seen him from a far from time to time in the story.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Guts definitely acknowledged Silat's skill ( calling him very fast ) or at least hinted at it, its just that Guts has grown up in a totally different warrior culture where use of legs ( in an otherwise sword vs sword contest ) is probably unheard of. Doubt it many people have seen bakiraka in battle, or trained assassins at all.

It's going to be interesting to see when these two reunite, since they'll probably be fighting on the same side. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch. :isidro:

I really appreciated how Miura managed Silat's character development. From Rakshas' words we can understand that before his encounter with Guts he was overconfident and very spoiled, being the son of the Barkilaka's leader. But now he seems a lot more mature and cool headed than before, and as a Barkilaka he's suspicious and wary enough to see through Griffith's facade, i think he and the tapasa will play an important role in the last section of the story.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Silat will definitely play an important roll with Rickert and the story overall. Since we last left him, he left with Silat. And since Guts' party is on Elfhelm, the amount of time until they exit the island will have a large affect on the time outside the island and Silat's role with Rickert and what they can learn from each other. I foresee Guts and Silat putting aside their past experiences to achieve a common goal together.

Mammon

Mangoku army
Feeblecursedone said:
Guts definitely acknowledged Silat's skill ( calling him very fast ) or at least hinted at it

Indeed, in their second fight (don't have my mangas with me so can't quote it, but) Guts comments on Silat's speed when managed to switch weapons very quickly to block his final blow (the one that cuts him on the forehead).

I also love Silat and the Tapasa (who doesn't? :rakshas: ) so these episodes with Rickert and Rakshas were a delight.
I must say I was impressed with their performance in that fight.

I love it when Guts gets on his nerves too;
Much like Semi-Apostle Mozgus or Adon calling their attacks in a "goofy" way, "typical shonen" style; Silat with his "It's not even my final form" weapons switching upgrades and gloating instead of attacking, also look like he is from another manga, but IMHO it works perfectly.

His 2 duels with young Guts made good practice to slaughter Bakiraka.

I have feeling Silat will side/join with Guts' party, if it's happened it will be AMAZING having him in Guts side.
Last time Silat has something to do wit Rickert which makes me highly doubt he will side with Guts against Griffith.

Sancho said:
I really appreciated how Miura managed Silat's character development. From Rakshas' words we can understand that before his encounter with Guts he was overconfident and very spoiled, being the son of the Barkilaka's leader. But now he seems a lot more mature and cool headed than before, and as a Barkilaka he's suspicious and wary enough to see through Griffith's facade, i think he and the tapasa will play an important role in the last section of the story.

I think that is what is most interesting to me while watching Silat evolve through the story. In his most recent appearance with Rickert he said referred to Guts as some one who humbled him, and that he was almost grateful for that because his encounter with him made him pull his head out of his ass and mature and focus on becoming better. I think it is a neat character insight that Silat saw this flaw in himself and instead of becoming a revenge obsessed dude fighting to avenge his honor he self aware enough to get his act together instead. Seriously if after Berserk is over Muira ever considers doing a spin-off manga series based around Silat and the Barkilaka, I would definitely read it.

Mammon said:
I love it when Guts gets on his nerves too;
Much like Semi-Apostle Mozgus or Adon calling their attacks in a "goofy" way, "typical shonen" style; Silat with his "It's not even my final form" weapons switching upgrades and gloating instead of attacking, also look like he is from another manga, but IMHO it works perfectly.
Guts getting on Silat's nerves was candy and I love how Muira pokes fun at typical shonen tropes like you said. That really get annoying after awhile.

Feeblecursedone said:
Guts definitely acknowledged Silat's skill ( calling him very fast ) or at least hinted at it, its just that Guts has grown up in a totally different warrior culture where use of legs ( in an otherwise sword vs sword

Maybe Guts was being a tad racist here. LOL :magni:

It's definetely interesting to speculate how they'll react in their mext meeting, how Silat will react especially. If there's really going to be a sort of war or conflict against the God Hand the circumstances won't likely allow them to butt heads even if they wanted to. Actually given how powerful Guts's enemies are i can't see how he could win without having the support of as many allies as possible, both magical and not magical. I think it's a given that they'll eventually have to cooperate against the common danger, though not as far as joining in the same party and traveling together, they just wouldn't fit and the Bakiraka are way too distrustful to do that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sancho said:
It's definetely interesting to speculate how they'll react in their mext meeting, how Silat will react especially. If there's really going to be a sort of war or conflict against the God Hand the circumstances won't likely allow them to butt heads even if they wanted to.

I don't think there will be any reason for conflict between Guts and Silat. They got off on the wrong foot, but these two aren't going to be enemies. They have quite a bit in common.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Walter said:
I don't think there will be any reason for conflict between Guts and Silat. They got off on the wrong foot, but these two aren't going to be enemies. They have quite a bit in common.

I think it would be neat if they sparred a bit and Guts acknowledged Silat's development. It would be completely unnecessary, of course. Especially considering Silat's words in the last few episodes that featured him. Anyway, just thinking about when/if Guts and Co. link up with the Bakiraka gets me so excited.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
I think it would be neat if they sparred a bit and Guts acknowledged Silat's development. It would be completely unnecessary, of course. Especially considering Silat's words in the last few episodes that featured him. Anyway, just thinking about when/if Guts and Co. link up with the Bakiraka gets me so excited.

Sure, I wouldn't want to rule that possibility out, either. They may "talk" as warriors :guts: but these two have no reason to be at each other's throats. Quite the opposite.

Top Bottom