Guts' face: graphic evolution and variations

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
:daiba:

I actually think Griff has an image from circa 2003 that he drew a series of hilarious looking beards on Guts just to see how it'd look. We've been predicting he'd sport some facial hair in Elfhelm for years.

Update: found 'em:

beardedGUTS01.jpg
beardedGUTS02.jpg
beardedGUTS03.jpg
beardedGUTS04.jpg
beardedGUTS05.jpg

Walter said:

I like the look of these particular images of him w/ facial hair. Not just because I have a similar beard(my mustache and beard aren't connected) but because he simply looks more badass. The first one here he kind of looks like Big Boss from Metal Gear. Damn he even has the correct disabled eye. Throw an eye patch on there and a beret and you have Big Boss.

Walter said:
:daiba:

I actually think Griff has an image from circa 2003 that he drew a series of hilarious looking beards on Guts just to see how it'd look. We've been predicting he'd sport some facial hair in Elfhelm for years.

Update: found 'em:

They're awesome, but I don't know if the fans would like to see him with a beard..

You know if Guts gets a beard we'll just get a scene where something rips off parts of it just to add to the pain he always has to go through.

I wonder if we'd see any of the white that he has in his hair now in his beard though.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Walter said:
We've been predicting he'd sport some facial hair in Elfhelm for years.
i was thinking that too. maybe if guts stay on elfhelm for awhile miura will have him grow a beard :ganishka:

for funnies heres a mustache guts:
Untitled-2.jpg

Ratty

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
Aazealh said:
2nsyi6b.jpg

I can definitely see the resemblance to Hauer around the eyes and mouth in this earlier illustration. But Miura stepped back from this pretty quickly when he started drawing a younger Guts. And ever since then the face doesn't seem to be "modeled" that strongly on any individual in particular.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ratty said:
I can definitely see the resemblance to Hauer around the eyes and mouth in this earlier illustration. But Miura stepped back from this pretty quickly when he started drawing a younger Guts. And ever since then the face doesn't seem to be "modeled" that strongly on any individual in particular.

Eh, I don't see it myself to be honest. I think when Miura said that Rutger Hauer was the inspiration for Guts' looks he meant it in a more general way, not about direct physical resemblance. Even from the beginning of volume 1, Guts' face doesn't really look like anyone else. Anyway, out of all of Hauer's roles, I think Sallow from Salute of the Jugger (AKA The Blood of Heroes) is the bigger inspiration/bears the most resemblance.

Ratty

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
Aazealh said:
Eh, I don't see it myself to be honest. I think when Miura said that Rutger Hauer was the inspiration for Guts' looks he meant it in a more general way, not about direct physical resemblance. Even from the beginning of volume 1, Guts' face doesn't really look like anyone else. Anyway, out of all of Hauer's roles, I think Sallow from Salute of the Jugger (AKA The Blood of Heroes) is the bigger inspiration/bears the most resemblance.

Maybe, it's hard to tell with the somewhat more traditionally minimalistic manga/anime style Miura employed in his faces very early on. I've always heard Flesh+Blood listed as a possible inspiration visually. And while it's unfortunately not among the handful of Rutger Hauer films I've watched I think I can see why some have suggested it as a possible inspiration from the battle scenes in the trailer. Even if Hauer's attire in that film doesn't appear to look much like Guts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ratty said:
I've always heard Flesh+Blood listed as a possible inspiration visually. And while it's unfortunately not among the handful of Rutger Hauer films I've watched I think I can see why some have suggested it as a possible inspiration from the battle scenes in the trailer. Even if Hauer's attire in that film doesn't appear to look much like Guts.

That's because Miura mentioned it in an interview, otherwise no one would have ever made the connexion. I thought that's why you were referring to it.

Miura Kentarou said:
I wasn't really thinking of anybody at the time I created Guts. But if you're only talking about his looks and not about his personality then I guess Rutger Hauer was the model. I saw him playing a mercenary in a medieval movie, "Flesh & Blood" and I really liked him in that movie. He also played the lead in "Salute of the Jugger." It was an Sci Fi movie, but I thought the character he played was similar to Guts. And the main character from "Highlander" kind of reminds me of Guts. I think it had a lot to do with those cool & collected type heroes I admired when I was in college.

As someone who's seen those movies (and more), I don't think Guts' face ever really looks like Hauer's (or any other actor's), but his look in Salute of the Jugger is the closest you could find, in my opinion. The movie also has some of the inspirations for Guts' helmets during the Golden Age arc.

Ratty

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
Aazealh said:
That's because Miura mentioned it in an interview, otherwise no one would have ever made the connexion. I thought that's why you were referring to it.

As someone who's seen those movies (and more), I don't think Guts' face ever really looks like Hauer's (or any other actor's), but his look in Salute of the Jugger is the closest you could find, in my opinion. The movie also has some of the inspirations for Guts' helmets during the Golden Age arc.

Ahh yes, it's been a good few years since I read that interview and I remembered that he mentioned Hauer but not any films specifically. I really need to track those down now. I love Berserk, one of the few modern works I feel comfortable unreservedly calling a work of genius, but fell out of following it for a while. So my apologies for the rusty memory.

At any rate I think I see a slight resemblance to Hauer in some of the early depictions of Guts but that could just be me. And without Miura pointing it out I very much doubt I'd have ever picked up on it.

Top Bottom