Guts' Kill Roster: How many has he REALLY killed?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That's all we're doing for the night... Give Griff a fucking HAND for all the insane counting he did tonight. He tackled the entirety of Lost Children by himself; a feat I certainly didn't think was possible. I think we'll both need a break after this. What a loooooong night it's been.

Here's the list, now including v.1-31.

CnC

Ad Oculos
"Griffith No More!" said:
Well, I'm doing the Lost Children chapter right now and it's a fucking holocaust. Guts easily kills over a hundred kids alone in this arc!

And then he kills their ghosts. =)

yea thats bound to be a tough one... are you counting all the corpses in the barn? ouch

JIN

Yudanero...
Walter said:
That's all we're doing for the night... Give Griff a fucking HAND for all the insane counting he did tonight. He tackled the entirety of Lost Children by himself; a feat I certainly didn't think was possible. I think we'll both need a break after this. What a loooooong night it's been.

Applause and Cheers :chomp:

This is a great thread. Thanks guys! If another artbook is released a list like this should be included.

S

Some Guy

Walter said:
That's all we're doing for the night... Give Griff a fucking HAND for all the insane counting he did tonight. He tackled the entirety of Lost Children by himself; a feat I certainly didn't think was possible.  I think we'll both need a break after this.  What a loooooong night it's been.

Here's the update, now including v.1-21.

Wow, great job! It looks like his kills will exceed 1000 :guts:

Also, if I find any more that aren't listed, I'll notify you via PM

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Knight o' Skeleton said:
Wow, great job! It looks like his kills will exceed 1000 :guts:
Yep, worked on it today and Guts broke 1000 with a questionable Troll in Vol.26 pg 50. Even if those questionable 8 get discarded, the kills in the end of the volume make up for it.

Voyevoda

Breathe and Start
Walter said:
That's all we're doing for the night... Give Griff a fucking HAND for all the insane counting he did tonight.

I do, to everyone who has helped out with this. This is some insane dedication you guys are showing. It's awesome  :isidro:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Aww, I really would of loved to help but you have already exceeded past my volumes (up to 100 :( )

So the best I can do is salute those who have the dedication to this! Man, you guys are true fans :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
Aww, I really would of loved to help but you have already exceeded past my volumes (up to 100 :( )

So the best I can do is salute those who have the dedication to this! Man, you guys are true fans :guts:
I guess you mean 10. But, we still need people to check and verify the information in the roster. Volumes 1-8 have been checked about 3x now, but none of 10 has been given a second check though.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Woops, hehe. Guess 100 is a lot isn't it? Well I did mean ten.

I'll gladly give a second run-through of ten if you would like. I'm not doing anything right now so why not?

Walter said:
If, in the next panel, there are a display of bodies, each one with blood, or an identifyable injury, and Guts was directly responsible for their deaths, counts.

I'm sure if you were to ask Gambino he would put Shizu on the list. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Borgoff said:
I'm sure if you were to ask Gambino he would put Shizu on the list. :carcus:
Yeah, I actually joked about that earlier with Griff. I even considered the possibility that Guts may have been carrying a contagion XD But, we all know it's horseshit :guts:

Speaking of horseshit, there are still 2 "items/jokes" that have been brought up by people through PM/IM that I refuse to put in the list:

-The logs that Guts chops down for his training in the mountains during the flashback in volume 11.

-Guts' own arm, which becomes a distinct object the moment he hacks it off.

Should they stay or go?

Other than the above, it seems we've pretty much got everything now, volume 1 to the current episode. Waiting to see who takes Daiba down :guts: Now, I'm just double/triple/quadruple checking the manga, and implementing changes as they roll in.

I think anything with some remote form of a conciousness should count. Maybe Guts' arm will come back as an apostle so he can add one more notch to his resume. :troll:

It's funny, last week I started a list like this but the grey areas started to stack up and I dropped it. There are a few volumes where Guts doesn't harm a soul, then there's episodes like the 100-man battle, Griffith's rescue and the Lost Children. I was having a hard time with the eclipse Hawk slaughter...the apostles that Guts appears to have mortally wounded often had more than one head. Also, there are a couple years with the Hawks that aren't chronicled at all, so there's no telling how many Guts took down in that time. Busy guy.

I think Guts has definitely graduated from the "Century Slayer" to the "Millenium Falcon" by now tho.

Edit: Just noticed on the list that Wyald is listed, but Zodd was the one that killed him.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
-The logs that Guts chops down for his training in the mountains during the flashback in volume 11.

-Guts' own arm, which becomes a distinct object the moment he hacks it off.

Should they stay or go?

Since the logs are already dead trees, they prob. shouldn't count (but then again you _are_ counting ghosts...)
But keep in mind you're probably opening a whole new can of worms when you start counting the flora Guts has killed. Think of all the work you'd be giving Griffith in the Lost Children arc.

As for the arm... is that a kill? Its a "loss", but not really a kill. Again. you count THAT arm, might as well count the rest of the severed limbs.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Since the logs are already dead trees, they prob. shouldn't count (but then again you _are_ counting ghosts...)
The trees were alive until he chopped them down. I'm sure he didn't just find some conveniently chopped trees laying around. Think of it from Schierke's perspective. Remember her reaction to all those wooden ships in the docks of Vritannis? What would she say if she knew her beloved Guts killed innocent trees? :judo:

As for the ghosts, it's definitely more grey area, but I was convinced by the effort Guts puts into scattering their "bodies" when he slashes them. Since only the sun can truly dispel them, Guts would be getting gypped if he didn't get some credit for holding them off.

The final decision on most of these grey areas was to include everything, so that in the final list, people can sort it however they like. In the roster's final form, if users don't think something qualifies as a kill, they'll be able to remove it from the final calculation.

As for the arm... is that a kill? Its a "loss", but not really a kill. Again. you count THAT arm, might as well count the rest of the severed limbs.
Yeah, I was never seriously considering counting the arm. I just wanted a general concensus on why it shouldn't be counted. Personally, I like Borgoff's "consciousness" bit, though even that's pretty debatable with some of the creatures in the series.

NTSC-J said:
...the apostles that Guts appears to have mortally wounded often had more than one head. Also, there are a couple years with the Hawks that aren't chronicled at all, so there's no telling how many Guts took down in that time. Busy guy.

Edit: Just noticed on the list that Wyald is listed, but Zodd was the one that killed him.
All apostles, specifically Wyald and the Count took some consideration before their inclusion. Ultimately though, Guts put those two in positions where they were vulnerable enough to be killed... so, it's indeed grey area. As for the apostles at the eclipse and at Flora's Mansion, it's too difficult to say what happened to them, so I included them "just in case."

I think a line should be drawn somewhere. The trees are a bit much. Pretty soon we'll be counting all the cells in his immune system. :carcus: All the same, I think you guys did an amazingly thorough job. To link it back to Chung's fight thread...you could include some pictures of memorable death stabs. Maybe even a brief description or something. Very cool stuff guys. :zodd:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
I can understanding giving credit of a kill when the ghosts posess a living creature and that creature gets killed, but the hopeless struggle against the ghosts (in that they can never truly be "killed") is part of the story.

But not part of this kill roster. Anyway, Guts doesn't just swing right through them like they aren't there. They break in half and ghost guts come flying out of them for goodness sake. And like you say, we DON'T know exactly what happens to them. For all we know, he can banish them but more keep coming until the sun rises. Also, this is a casualty count, not a referendum on the meaning of life and death.

CnC said:
No matter how many times Guts sends them away I don't think they're ever banished or sent to another plane.  I suppose that can't be proven either way but I think assigning any credit for a "kill" on the ghosts would be odd.

So you've said, and like you also say, based on what, your feelings about ghosts?

Shut up, you hippies. =)

P.S. CnC's post was destroyed in a mishap, but you can read most of it in the quotes above. Whoops, sorry C. :casca:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Borgoff said:
I think a line should be drawn somewhere. The trees are a bit much.

And the fish in the waterfall isn't? The one Casca eats at the beginning of volume 23 should also count.

CnC

Ad Oculos
CnC's REWRITTEN POST said:
But not part of this kill roster. Anyway, Guts doesn't just swing right through them like they aren't there. They break in half and ghost guts come flying out of them for goodness sake. And like you say, we DON'T know exactly what happens to them. For all we know, he can banish them but more keep coming until the sun rises. Also, this is a casualty count, not a referendum on the meaning of life and death.

So you've said, and like you also say, based on what, your feelings about ghosts? Shut up, you hippies. =)

CnC, you jackass. Of course its not supposed to be referendum on the meaning of life and death. Just counting ghosts being cut in half as a casualty is redundant.

Jeez, must you criticise EVERYTHING? I like the site, but CnC, you're just _too_ much, man...

Aazealh said:
And the fish in the waterfall isn't? The one Casca eats at the beginning of volume 23 should also count.

I think since you never see Guts actually catching them, they can be omitted. You only see him washing his shirt in the previous panel, so according to the on-screen-kill-rule it should not be included...if that rule still applies.
As for the logs, I'd say that to Guts, it should not be that much of an effort to cut down a few trees, since they're not really posing a threat when they were "alive".( And they weren't "killed" on-screen anyway)
That fish-kill shows us the result of Guts training in spite of the loss of his right eye and should therefore be included IMHO (and it's on-screen).

CnC said:
Jeez, must you criticise EVERYTHING? I like the site, but CnC, you're just _too_ much, man...
LMAO, waiting for another JT-pic to turn up ?:casca:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chung said:
I think since you never see Guts actually catching them, they can be omitted. You only see him washing his shirt in the previous panel, so according to the on-screen-kill-rule it should not be included...if that rule still applies.

"If, in the next panel, there are a display of bodies, each one with blood, or an identifyable injury, and Guts was directly responsible for their deaths, counts."

I think that counts.

Chung said:
As for the logs, I'd say that to Guts, it should not be that much of an effort to cut down a few trees, since they're not really posing a threat when they were "alive".

I don't think it's "not that much of an effort", especially considering the fact he failed to cut them down at the waterfall... I mean they're trees, not the kind of stuff that's easy to slice through.

Chung said:
That fish-kill shows us the result of Guts training in spite of the loss of his right eye and should therefore be included IMHO

Then the logs should too. They're as (ir)relevant. Not that I care much about the whole thing though.

Chung said:
That fish-kill shows us the result of Guts training in spite of the loss of his right eye and should therefore be included IMHO (and it's on-screen).

That's actually a good call. It does fall within the parameters I guess. It's just hard to take it seriously. I don't think Guts would be keeping track of something so trivial. If it were up to me, I don't think I would include it in the list, although Chung's argument is enough to give the fish a shred of dignity. I think this is where the mod's step in and keep us nerds at bay. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Borgoff said:
I think this is where the mod's step in and keep us nerds at bay. :troll:
What, you think you're nerdier than me? I made a list of a fictional character's kills.

And I don't think that reasoning is really necessary for the fish. The only real standing rule right now is that Guts has to be responsible for its death. If you want to reason, speculate what happened to the Apostles at the eclipse (those that Guts bashed the heads in).

Top Bottom