Hardcore History Does Japanese Military History Ep

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-62-supernova-in-the-east-i/

Dan Carlin's latest episode is a 4.5h analysis of Japanese military history, from the Sengoku age to World War II. Of course, a big chunk of that covers the period that makes up Vagabond. I mention it here only because starting around the 45m mark, Carlin in his own way addresses the same problems of samurai that are presented in Vagabond (particularly the later volumes). As a more peaceful time emerges for the country's governance, what is the culture to do with this societal class obsessed with killing each other? How can they convert these energies into other walks of life? Basically, Musashi will show them the way
slan.gif
. There are a few moments where, even though they don't mention Musashi by name, you can feel his influence because he was the key part of the cultural movement at the time.

It's all ultimately preamble for a World War discussion, but it's a good listen to add some more context around that era of Japan, particularly if you've never looked into it beyond Inoue's stuff.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I guess I'm going to listen to four and half hours of hardcore history. That's like a workday and half with my commute. :judo:

It should also be a decent primer for Sekiro (up until whenever grotesque monsters show up =).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I guess I'm going to listen to four and half hours of hardcore history. That's like a workday and half with my commute. :judo:

It should also be a decent primer for Sekiro (up until whenever grotesque monsters show up =).

I went through nearly all of it last night while cleaning the house. The relevant part (for Vagabond fans) is only about 30 minutes. He basically jumps from the establishment of Tokugawa (1600s, when Vagabond begins) straight to Commodore Perry (1850) which leads naturally into the Bakumatsu and the Meiji period, which is where his real story starts. So he leaves a lot on the sidelines. It was good for me, because that specific era, 1860s-1930s, was never one I paid attention to, and wow. Quite a bit of activity! :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, it was interesting, particularly the part about how a lot of the extreme honor codes of conduct got radicalized by the more peacetime samurai to compensate for the lack of warfare and how this affected, or infected, the culture overall. Those cowardly farmers in all good samurai stories? They just weren't a bunch of death cult zealot converts yet! :ganishka:

Top Bottom