Hardest video game you've ever played?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
justanotherwave said:
here's my biggest gripe, and i'm sure i'm on my own on this one:
EVERY single game EVER made by konami. i don't even want to talk about it

Wow yeah, you sure are. I mean, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are supposed to be hard? Just taking two obvious examples here but I seriously think that's an overstatement on your part.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Aazealh said:
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time

Oh god I LOVED that game when I was a little kid.. Haha, I think I still have it somewhere.

It was hard for me, atleast, but I was wicked young when I was playing it. :)

The original Ninja Gaiden, Battle Toads, and various NES games were and still are rather difficult. The one game that I have tried many, many times and have yet to beat though is Gun.Smoke for the NES. I think the farthest I've got was to the level after the mountain of ninjas.

justanotherwave said:
in regard to ninja gaiden (old nes):
by way of emulators i managed to beat the first 2 games, however the 3rd was impossible for me even when using the "save anywhere" feature... frustrating does not begin to describe it.

contra: after many attempts i had to ask myself "why even bother?" -too big a commitment of patience for me (that goes for EVERY installment ever made. fuck that shit! :miura:)

here's my biggest gripe, and i'm sure i'm on my own on this one:
EVERY single game EVER made by konami. i don't even want to talk about it :judo:.

tenchu fatal shadows: i absolutely loved wrath of heaven, so i can't even begin to understand why they would destroy the series this way.

i guess for me, its not outright difficulty that bothers me, but the fact that some games seem more like work than fun at times. a challenge is tolerable (even invigorating when it's actually fun), a waste of my time and energy is just not for me.

one last thing: i remember quite a few games for the classic sega master system being WAY too hard for me. even harder than a lot of NES games... maybe i'm on my own here, too.

I agree with what you're saying in regards to how some games can be too difficult to enjoy. Only certain games REALLY piss me off. For example, the final boss in the PS2 version of Shinobi is infuriating to me because the entire battle is based on luck. There's certainly skill involved, but you could be having the best run you've ever had and if the boss doesnt happen to be in the proper place at the proper time, its all over. Thats why Ninja Gaiden, while very hard, is fun. Its based on skill mostly, theres almost no luck involved. I dont know, maybe im rambling.

TMNT IV: Turtles in Time and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are supposed to be hard? Just taking two obvious examples here but I seriously think that's an overstatement on your part.

i admit that my statement was a little exaggerated... i suppose i should clarify by saying that it was a statement fueled by memories of more classic-era (arcade mostly) games that i played in my much younger years rather than about any games they have made recently.

from what i understand, they have made some very popular and entertaining games since such as the metal gear series (which i admittedly haven't played extensively).

hope that clears up my earlier post a bit.

Ikaruga is a hard game, but when I ignored going for perfect chains I beat it pretty easily. Took maybe two or three days before I could get to the last boss on one man. I play a lot of shooters though, I'm pretty used to how they work.

Still, most are really hard and I've yet to really master any.

DoDonPachi dai ou jou is the king IMO. Personally I think it's one of the best designed games ever made, but it's rough all the way through. No one in the west has made it past the first couple stages when it loops, although I watch guys at the arcade here in Japan do some amazing stuff. I used to think I was skilled before I moved here, but these guys annihilate games like no other.

I've beaten around 30 arcade shooters on one coin, but other genres I'm not very good at. Someday I'd like to make a list of all the games that used to give me hell and try to take them all down. Right now my most challenging project is beating Gunbird 2 on one man. Truly a beast.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Skullgrin140 said:
Prince of persia Sands of time was one hard game, I couldnt figure it out very well and I always kept dying :judo:

it was a great game, but I wouldnt call it hard at all. It was too short, imo. warrior within was good but tried so hard to be "edgy" that it just annoyed me at times. Two thrones was great tho, just finished that.

Unfortunately theyre not that hard, but theyre damn good.

CnC said:
it was a great game, but I wouldnt call it hard at all.  It was too short, imo.  warrior within was good but tried so hard to be "edgy" that it just annoyed me at times.  Two thrones was great tho, just finished that.

Unfortunately theyre not that hard, but theyre damn good.

Well I only play Prince of Persia 3D and Sands of Time and I both gave up on them because they were too hard. lol

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
Well I only play Prince of Persia 3D and Sands of Time and I both gave up on them because they were too hard. lol

I'm afraid the problem comes from you on this one buddy.

In Snes there was Battletoads, and Smash TV.

For PC, just recently i terminated X-COM Enemy Unknow.. Top100 1° place IGN´s best PC games of all time..

OliDaGoalie

it's me, D'a Lurker ;)
Ninja Gaiden was the hardest for me on the nes,

2 freakin hard games on the nes that weren't mentioned:

-Cobra Triangle
-Silver Surfer

I smashed my rubix cube on the tv set at the time.. ah good times :carcus:

Mike Tyson/ Mr. Dream on Punchout is brutal.....

And so far i think that Ninja Gaiden 3 is the hardest out of the trilogy because for some reason in this one when you get damaged by an enemy its more subtle and you end up getting hit three times when you thought it was only once. Plus every enemy tends to do more damage than the previous games.

I remember the day I played duck hunt and pacman... all the afternoon trying to finish those things.

It's imposiible for me to finish any Tomb Raider game... because I can't stand plyin 'em beyond 10 minutes.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
TheBeast43105 said:
Mike Tyson/ Mr. Dream on Punchout is brutal.....

I remember how proud I got when I beat him, years and years ago...
Nobody mentioned the first Batman on Nes yet. Great looking game, pretty hard too...
The Joker was tough alright, and there was this cool looking aerial fire launching dude you had to
beat right before...sweet memories...

Oltobaz said:
I remember how proud I got when I beat him, years and years ago...

I finally beat him today. Nothing else in my life will make me as happy as i am now. I can die a happy man.

That was one of those challenges that was so hard it wasnt even fun.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Majin Tenshi said:
Does anyone remember "A boy and his blob"?
Fuck that game. I had no idea what the crap to do. I remember giving him a jelly bean and a hole came out of no where and I fell to my death. Once again.

FUCK THAT GAME.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Fuck that game. I had no idea what the crap to do. I remember giving him a jelly bean and a hole came out of no where and I fell to my death. Once again.

FUCK THAT GAME.
I spent $50 on that when I was a kid. No shit. It was something I was really excited about :guts: And then I played it for about 5 minutes and it collected dust. I don't even think it was possible to beat it. What the FUCK was with the rocket jelly bean?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
I spent $50 on that when I was a kid. No shit. It was something I was really excited about :guts: And then I played it for about 5 minutes and it collected dust. I don't even think it was possible to beat it. What the FUCK was with the rocket jelly bean?
I was a bit luckier. I was at the mall with my parents and they used to have the game displays with playable games and what not. I tried it out there and it was retarded. The whole hole incident was at the begining of the game! :puck: GGRRRRR!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oltobaz said:
Nobody mentioned the first Batman on Nes yet. Great looking game, pretty hard too...

Yeah I agree, it was tough to beat.

fuxberg said:
On Mega Drive : Desert Storm :troll:

Don't you mean Desert Strike? If so it only took a bit of practice. :guts: Fantastic game nevertheless.

Desert_Strike_Return_to_the_Gulf_gen_ScreenShot1.jpg

That's right Desert Strike!
Thanks Aaz :serpico:
Another great game but not so hard, Alex Kidd!
There was a game for MegaDrive that was about an egg called Dizzy..
Anyone remember this? It was a pretty hard game...

Top Bottom