Heroes (spoilers within)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That what?

I laughed out loud during this episode,
when Sylar kills Derek and you see THE ROACH near his body.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Such suspense! :isidro:

You're being sarcastic, right? ...right?? :serpico:

Gotta say though I'm really bored with the series thus far. After the fizzle that was the season finale the new episodes are doing little to rekindle my interest. And interestingly, other than the city not being destroyed, very little of the last season meant much.

They seem to have brought back Isaac (or at least his paintings) to re-do that grim foreshadowing the first season did. Oooh! You mean there are MORE paintings that can foretell stuff? Amazing!
Looks like Kitty Pride, er, I mean the black guy who can go through walls didn't get his contract renewed so he died off camera. Same with the brunette ms.hot-mini-skirt-girl-but-still-can't-remember-her-name.
The black-teared girl and brother is an interesting concept on paper but that story isn't going anywhere atm.
I could go on, but yea, none of the individual stories have much appeal imo.

That which is likely to draw the group together isn't as compelling as the last season. The virus isn't very interesting and the 9 people being killed off isn't interesting beyond what they did (so like the "company", I'm sure that explanation will be dragged out as long as possible). Mohinder and Molly continue to annoy, as well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Gotta say though I'm really bored with the series thus far. After the fizzle that was the season finale the new episodes are doing little to rekindle my interest. And interestingly, other than the city not being destroyed, very little of the last season meant much.
Yeah, I've given up on it. I didn't even watch this newest episode.

Looks like Kitty Pride, er, I mean the black guy who can go through walls didn't get his contract renewed so he died off camera. Same with the brunette ms.hot-mini-skirt-girl-but-still-can't-remember-her-name.
Black guy died in season finale, I thought?
And the mini-skirt MORPH chick was killed by Sylar in episode 3. It was her keeping him hostage on an ... island? (LOST)
Mohinder and Molly continue to annoy, as well.
Yes, CHRIST. And Parkman... ugh!!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Yeah, I've given up on it. I didn't even watch this newest episode.

Well if they didn't have the episodes online I would be in the same boat.

Walter said:

My memory on it is fuzzy (partly, I think, 'cause who gives a shit) but I thought they kept him gravely wounded enough so a death was possible but not absolute.

Walter said:
And the mini-skirt MORPH chick was killed by Sylar in episode 3. It was her keeping him hostage on an ... island? (LOST)

Someone should have told her that Sylar goes. where he. wanna goes. *snikt*

Walter said:
Yes, CHRIST. And Parkman... ugh!!

Well I won't spoil it for you but according to this last episode we're in for a lot more Parkman. So get strap yourself in for a whole lot more of those shots where he turns his head slightly, squints a bit and "listens" to thoughts.

In another note, I guess the act of flying must be one of the most expensive special effects out there. It doesn't look like they've got it ready for TV yet, as digital doubles don't come cheap. And those Superman 1-esque shots where the actors are on a plank in front of a blue-screen as the camera goes past them aren't cuttin' it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
They seem to have brought back Isaac (or at least his paintings) to re-do that grim foreshadowing the first season did. Oooh! You mean there are MORE paintings that can foretell stuff? Amazing!

Yup, the way they brought it in was pretty clumsy. It was stupid to kill him off in the first place as he had good potential as a character, and coming up with this "hidden stash" idea... Not very good.

CnC said:

Hahaha yeah, exactly. Or THEY declined, which I don't find all that unlikely. Once again, they had the opportunity to do things better with offing these guys at the end of season 1, there's a real lack of planification here.

CnC said:
The black-teared girl and brother is an interesting concept on paper but that story isn't going anywhere atm.

That which is likely to draw the group together isn't as compelling as the last season. The virus isn't very interesting and the 9 people being killed off isn't interesting beyond what they did (so like the "company", I'm sure that explanation will be dragged out as long as possible). Mohinder and Molly continue to annoy, as well.

Yes, yes and yes again. You summed it up perfectly.

Walter said:

Nope, like CnC said he was wounded but alive and he didn't look like he was going to croak, at least to me.
And yeah, that was the same character, but not the same actress. That's what CnC meant.

CnC said:
Well I won't spoil it for you but according to this last episode we're in for a lot more Parkman. So get strap yourself in for a whole lot more of those shots where he turns his head slightly, squints a bit and "listens" to thoughts.

In another note, I guess the act of flying must be one of the most expensive special effects out there. It doesn't look like they've got it ready for TV yet, as digital doubles don't come cheap. And those Superman 1-esque shots where the actors are on a plank in front of a blue-screen as the camera goes past them aren't cuttin' it.

Ugh yeah, you did the right thing in not watching this episode Wally, it's Parkman time now. Not well done either. As for flying, I think it's beyond sheer cost, I've seen better SFX in other TV series.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Haha, finally caught up with the series after watching it on DVD and NBC.com.

I agree that Season 2 is off to a slow start, and while Hiro going back in time seemed like an interesting concept at first, it's starting to get really lame. And Kensei being a gaijin...lamer. While predictable, I'd almost prefer Hiro to pretend he was Kensei rather than helping someone with an even more terrible Japanese accent look good. Also, did they run out of ideas for powers? West can fly and "Kensei" can heal. Haven't those pretty much been dealt with? I preferred it when everyone had their own, "original" power. Ah well. Season 1 started out slow, so hopefully Season 2 will get better. Sylar is probably the most interesting character to me, but he's leaving the show in November to film Star Trek IX (starring the guy from Hot Fuzz as Scotty...ugh). Zachary Quinto (the guy who plays Sylar) says he'll be back afterwards, though, so that's good. Oh, and I really hope Parkman's dad isn't the new villain. :schierke:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This hit me the other day, and so far I can't prove it isn't so: Did Hiro teleport into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I forget, when did Niki decide go to the Company for help? Also, Hiro's side-story is killing me. They need to get him back to the present. I do like the potential Parkman has to develop his power into something more than just mind reading, though. Too bad the Irish guy died, I thought he was pretty cool.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
I believe that was her goal when she dropped Micah off at the beginning of the season. I got the impression she was doing an criminal task but that might've been "payment" for the psychatric help.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I know the company "helps" her for free, or at least we don't know their end of the bargain yet. To be honest Parkman's dad is pathetic and him being the new villain is a bit hard to take seriously. I was also sad that Peter's future brother-in-law died like he did, he wasn't too bad compared to the other new characters. I know Micah annoys me and so does his cousin. I've also got to mention that Mohinder is the stupidest doctor I've ever seen. The perfect teammate for Parkman, undoubtedly. Kristen Bell's character is also too over the top to my taste, and her power's FX are dated. Rant over! :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I've long since given up on this show, but for those that are still following it, Heroes: Origins was cancelled recently.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7485
It's understood the project has been shelved indefinitely due to financial concerns as the network readies for the expected WGA strike. Kevin Smith, Eli Roth, Michael Dougherty and John August were among the names set to be involved with "Origins," which was still in the early stages of pre-production.

I'm just happy Journeyman hasn't been cancelled yet... (crosses fingers, knocks on wood...)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I don't know much of Wolverine's backstory, so I can't really comment on that, but I thought this was the best episode so far.
Hiro's finally back in the present and Parkman's dad isn't the main villain...however, the gaijin is...which I guess I can tolerate as long as he doesn't speak all that much Japanese. His accent is worse than Hiro's, which isn't that bad, but is weird to listen to after hearing a native speaker. Anyway, things are starting to have potential again, so let's just hope they don't blow it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Would it be worth it for me to watch the last 2 episodes? I've mostly stopped caring about the show, but you guys make me curious.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Would it be worth it for me to watch the last 2 episodes? I've mostly stopped caring about the show, but you guys make me curious.

I'd give it a look. Things seem to be improving slightly. The episode before this latest one wasn't all that great, but this episode was a major improvement, IMHO.

Ok. So I've never wathced even an episode of this series. My next door neighbor however totally vouches for this show. He's giving me the entire first season later on tonight. Is it really worth watching or is it getting lame? I remember seeing an entertainment weekly where this asain fellow gets sent back to feudal Japan. :schierke:

So to watch or not to watch guys?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I followed the series faithfully through season 1, but abandoned the whole thing after watching the first 3 episodes of season 2. The show was never THAT great, but now it's gotten quite bad.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I followed the series faithfully through season 1, but abandoned the whole thing after watching the first 3 episodes of season 2. The show was never THAT great, but now it's gotten quite bad.

Haha, I'm sticking it out until it's literally unwatchable. It hasn't gotten that bad for me yet, but we'll see. :beast:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Oh, I am. I can't wait until January now that I'm all caught up with it. :guts:
Bad news from exec. producer of LOST Carlton Cuse. Unless the writer's strike ends quickly, there may be only 8 episodes aired this year :isidro:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2007/11/how-will-the-st.html
[quote author=Carlton Cuse]
If the strike is prolonged and the scribes can't get back to work writing the rest of the episodes, fans are going to be stuck with the kind of stunted season they were forced to endure last year. "It will feel like buying a Harry Potter book, reading half of it, and then having to put it down for many months," explains Cuse. "There is a cliffhanger at the end of the eighth episode. It will only be frustrating [for viewers] to have to step away from the show and not see the second half of the season.[/quote]

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Bad news from exec. producer of LOST Carlton Cuse. Unless the writer's strike ends quickly, there may be only 8 episodes aired this year :isidro:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2007/11/how-will-the-st.html

Yeah, a coworker of mine was telling me about this yesterday. Hopefully, the strike will end quickly.

What are they striking over? The writers of LOST are so good... the story is really well written. Unlike many series that have scenes/episodes/SEASONS that are awful, LOST keeps it interesting. Even the Sopranos, which was the only other show I've followed in a long time, had many terrible parts...

Top Bottom