How Could I Improve the Grunbeld Novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I'm thinking: I want to improve the horrendous garbage fire that was that Flame Dragon Knight erotica hiding in a "novel" skin!

For one thing, I wanted to start with the villain.

In the novel he was a murderer rapist man who also happened to be a politician who "disliked the old ways" of his country, supposedly.

In my version...let's make him more friendly.

Maybe when after Grunbeld encounters Benedict Arnold they hear something in the bushes and it turns out to be the nobleman...or something.

He wants to recruit Grunbeld into his army because of how well known his fighting ability is in his home town?

I dunno, as you can tell I'm fuzzy on the details at the moment...

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Hah, it's funny, I was talking to @Gobolatula about putting together a sort of "joke thread" where we gave out a prize to whomever could come up with the best Grunbeld backstory to replace the horrible one that was outlined in the recent novel.

After talking about it for a bit, I realized that the outline already existed in the form Miura's illustrations, and as long as you follow those breadcrumbs, your chances of doing a better job than the author of the Flame Dragon Knight novel can exist in your own head! :ganishka:

So, without a doubt, you can break down all of the elements in the novel that don't work, but I think that's giving the writer too much credit, and frankly, you would be at it all day. I would say you can throw out his stuff entirely and come up with something consistent and respectful to Miura's work (and the drawings that he created for this very backstory) all on your own.

Well I guess for what it's worth I could focus on Grunbeld more since, ya know, he IS the main character after all.

Of course I'll remove the unnecessary murder plot, since it has next to NOTHING to do with Grunbeld.

I like the stuff they DO add for Grunbeld, like how he's from the bear tribe or something.

You can tell I never read the blasted thing

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see what purpose this would serve. Might as well write your own independent story.

I don't see what purpose this would serve. Might as well write your own independent story.
I mean...I feel like I'd have a bad taste in my mouth knowing that this abomination got enough press to get a mother one when we could show the world that there are things that are actually WORTH money and publishing.

I guess this is my way of seeing if a random fan can shame a company with sponsors and real material backing them. If so, I win.

I suppose I am a petty existence with a petty vendetta

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
After talking about it for a bit, I realized that the outline already existed in the form Miura's illustrations, and as long as you follow those breadcrumbs, your chances of doing a better job than the author of the Flame Dragon Knight novel can exist in your own head!

I like the idea of just taking the illustrations out of context as a kind of ambiguous flashback moment. I feel like that's more or less what a lot of us were wanting/expecting (a la Ganishka, et al) for Griffith's lieutenants anyway. So I'm happy with pretending the illustrations are cannon, but the prose isn't, for the time being.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of just taking the illustrations out of context as a kind of ambiguous flashback moment. I feel like that's more or less what a lot of us were wanting/expecting (a la Ganishka, et al) for Griffith's lieutenants anyway. So I'm happy with pretending the illustrations are cannon, but the prose isn't, for the time being.

I doubt we'll ever know for sure, but it's what I eventually came to believe, like I explained in my review. There's one very jarring moment in the book that lays out that possibility.

Probably fanfic on my part but I always assumed Grunbelds sacrifice was an act of cowardice. Avoiding death in battle by sacrificing his cherished comrade, that sort of thing. It would also add extra salt to the wound of Guts' insult when he calls Grunbeld a poser. I know the big five are meant to be more anti hero than villain (with the exception of cloth boy :rakshas:) but sacrifices should always entail cutting away your humanity. Not sacrificing consenting friends in order to fulfill a heroic task.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I know the big five are meant to be more anti hero than villain (with the exception of cloth boy :rakshas:) but sacrifices should always entail cutting away your humanity.

Actually I think "villain" is a fair description. The term "antihero" usually describes a protagonist lacking the traits of the stereotypical hero (courageous, kind, etc.). But they're monsters who sacrificed the person dearest to them in exchange for power. They're more evolved and complex than the average pig-man, but they're still monsters at the end of the day. In that regard, Guts' retort to Grunbeld in volume 26 rings as true today as it did then.

Its pretty easy to improve:

1. Take a lighter or some matches
2. Flick Lighter / lit matches
3. Bring closer that "thing" (Grunbeld light novel) to the flame
4. Watch it burn and delight with the sound it made , something like the cobra apostle agony cry from ending Episode 1 Berserk Anime (1997 Version of course)
5. Clean and Disinfect the area.
6. Sleep well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom