How Did You Find Out About Berserk?

Always been around on the net and interested in pop culture and geeky stuff so it was inevitable I'd hear about it.

Watched the movies back in 2013, liked them a lot but eh kind of forgot about it after. manga didn't grab me.

Got a little older, went through some shit, suddenly something clicked and now I think this is one of the greatest stories to ever come out of Japan, up there with Eva and Bebop. OG.

I originally was browsing the web and I came across a top 20 anime lists. Berserk was on this list and I thought the premise and the main character looked cool. I binged watched the anime in about two days and was instantly hooked, I really wanted to know what happened after the cliffhanger so I began reading the manga to see what happens, I'm currently on episode 319 and absolutely loving the series. It's honestly up there in my top 5 anime's and it's my favourite manga. The three films were also good and I don't think the 2016 anime is as bad as everyone makes it out to be I would probably rate it around a 6/10. Since finding Berserk I've been hooked on the series and watched the original anime three times and I can't wait to continue with the manga and play Berserk Musou when it finally arrives on PC. :femto:

I had friends on M&A forum and they were reading Berserk. It was in 2010 or something like that. I tried it and I loved it, from the very beginning I knew that it's the best manga I've ever read.

I was looking about Death Note ending review in Youtube and watched Anime America's Top 10 Anime with WTF ending : Berserk is no 1. Yeah, I was sure that Berserk is an ordinary anime until I saw Behelit rearranged its face and screamed frighteningly. Although after that, I tried my best not to look at the video again, I ended up searching in berserk wikia and wikipedia about berserk plot and characterization. Don't judge me because I'm still to scared to read Berserk even if it's only scanlation, also I don't think it will get legally translated in my country because of the plot and the content. However,I started watching 2016 anime, Golden Age Arc movies and 1997 anime, they were great *2016 anime is rubbish in animation and CGI and too many plot hole, Golden Age Arc is pretty descent and I fall in love with Susumu Hirasawa's Aria and I considered 1997 anime to be the most faithful one*...I'm not going to read the manga soon since I'm too coward to look at the activated behelit and thousand of frightening pics, I'm spoiled by berserk wikia but i'm still too curious about the actual dialogue in the manga

The Wack Swordsman

Put your grasses on.
Back when I was 16 years old I was into anime and thus I had the honor to discover BERSERK. :carcus:

My first one (besides Pokémon, Dragonball Z and the likes) was "Another" which was a pretty good start. I watched some One Piece till episode 70. Some Bleach till episode 70... I also watched a bit of Naruto but I stopped around episode 20. Not that I think it was bad, a younger version of me would've really liked it but I guess I just didn't feel watching everything back when I was 16.

I watched some crappy ones and good ones but those that really influenced me were either very funny, over the top absurd or just very good in my opinion.
Death Note for example... In my early days. It's the typical good starter for many people.

But Death Note eventually was put in the shade by anime like MONSTER and Ergo Proxy.
Once you've seen anime like that it's a bit of a disappointment to watch those that do not reach the same impact even though they try.

BERSERK however was a complete different case. It was the fifth (I think) anime I ever watched. Someone I knew from school said I should watch the anime and by chance I already noticed the name on a site the day before. I watched the anime over a pretty long period of time for I wasn't that interested at first.

Sure it was good to watch but in the beginning I suspected it to be not that special.
Your average badass superhuman with an oversized sword hacking stuff with lots of gore isn't very original itself...

Though I remembered the slow pace which was actually very soothing.
(Also stuff like when he broke that bolt stuck in his hand by just clenching his fist during the slaying of 100 soldiers was f*cking badass! A rare moment that was actually better than the manga itself... Oh wait that could've happened during the trilogy? My point is that Guts was a badass.)

I have to admit that I wasn't fully committed at watching it and since I don't have the best attention span I probably didn't absorb everything of this series that is filled with lots of details and requires (and deserves) actual focus.

It was the last two episodes that really sparked my interest. It was completely unexpected, especially since I almost forgot the first episode by the time I watched those last ones.
:isidro:

I really cared for the characters that died during the slaughter... :judo:

The scenery took me as a whole and I was frustrated not knowing how, why and what just happened. Especially since there weren't any episodes left to watch. :mozgus:

The anime truly serves its purpose as a teaser. :iva:

After a few days I watched something else and after some months I still remembered the most crucial moments but I didn't regard BERSERK as "that special" apart from the "mindf*ck" ending.

That was... Until I stumbled upon the glorious manga itself.
I was entranced and read the whole thing instantly and kept reading many times after that.
As someone that draws a little bit I also appreciated the hard work of all those panels.
A lot of work it is compared to other manga. :puck:

Especially during my studies I continued to read it. The irony was that even though I read that magnificent manga the same dude that saw the anime and read a bit of the manga that introduced me to it didn't even care how the story goes and doesn't even bother reading the rest...
Something that I really don't understand. How barbaric... :schierke:

Perhaps liking BERSERK is very personal for I don't know many people in person (zero to be exact) that really like it as much I do. I know some friend I introduced to BERSERK, he read it completely (since I kinda begged him to do so) and really enjoyed it but that was it. He gets the main story but just isn't as interested as I was. Also it's not something I could introduce to many people since some stuff just scares them off (which is a bit understandable).

I'm glad to find a place like this with fans that like BERSERK as much (and probably even more) as I do.

Few years ago in 2012 my friend was watching 'Most brutal anime' video on youtube and i saw a clip of guts killing army men from 1997 anime.I was very intrigued by guts character so i watched 97 anime,I was disappointed that there was no continuation of the anime to black swordsman arc so i read all the manga volumes later.I had never bought or read any manga volumes before but berserk got me into it. :beast:

Well I have know about it for a long time. A friend of mine was into it and told me about it but Fantasy settings have never been my thing. Eventually I saw it was on Netflix and saved it to my list for viewing eventually. One day my girlfriend couldn't think of something to watch and were looking trough my list and it caught her eye.She loves fantasy stuff and knights. Next thing i know we watch all 3 movies, start the 2016 anime and are slowly buying the volumes. I absolutely love it. It has easily shot to the top of my list for favorite anything ever.

JK17

Out From Under The Shadows
Greetings everyone, I'm another new fan of the Berserk series. And I'm even more excited to find this website! My personal story is back in May I was watching a youtube video about a character from a favorite RPG game and I was so fascinated by the character analysis I decided to watch the youtuber's other videos and there were one on Berserk, about a predict ending. There were spoilers, but I was very intrigued to everything I heard, plus there were tons of berserk pages from throughout the series that I just had to read! I purchased Volume 1 and was hooked from the first page! The artwork is just amazing and beyond this world. I have a deep interest in Japanes and other Asian cultures, and their artwork is amazing. I own the Three Hardback volumes for the Final Fantasy series. Anyway, I am nearly finished with Volume 28 and have ordered the entire series online! I just couldn't wait and had to have a copy of each.

No spoilers here, but I think this is one of the best fictional pieces of works that exists! The characters are very realistic, the world is so alive, and the story is unlike anything I have ever heard of. And I'm excited to see when the ending final comes. I bet it will be spectacular.

I look forward to discussing this series with many others. I won't take long to finish up to the latest released volume. I just can't quit. I care about these characters so much I just have to learn all of what happens. This author has superb creativity and has become a favorite! (I've been wanting to get into the Manga genre, and finally I have. Berserk is my first and will always be my favorite :)

Don't burn me at the stake to this, but it's thanks to the 2016+ adaptations...

Well, I never actually watched them, but I was motivated to read the manga due to all the comments about how Berserk "deserves a better adaptation" and whatnot. So I thought, why not try it? So I did. Now I'm here, wishing I had waited for it to be over so I wouldn't have to suffer the long waits with the rest of ye...

I think that this is really one of the few things good about the 2016-2017 adaptations. Regardless of their quality, they do give exposure to the series and also provide a way for the fans of the manga to express their love for it to more people, by contributing to episode discussions and making memes or whatever. Obviously Berserk should get an adaptation worthy of its name, but at least the current adaptations DO increase the chances of more people learning about the series. Though, if they were actually good they would probably attract even more people to the series...

TyrannoFan said:
Don't burn me at the stake to this, but it's thanks to the 2016+ adaptations...

Well, I never actually watched them, but I was motivated to read the manga due to all the comments about how Berserk "deserves a better adaptation" and whatnot. So I thought, why not try it? So I did. Now I'm here, wishing I had waited for it to be over so I wouldn't have to suffer the long waits with the rest of ye...

I think that this is really one of the few things good about the 2016-2017 adaptations. Regardless of their quality, they do give exposure to the series and also provide a way for the fans of the manga to express their love for it to more people, by contributing to episode discussions and making memes or whatever. Obviously Berserk should get an adaptation worthy of its name, but at least the current adaptations DO increase the chances of more people learning about the series. Though, if they were actually good they would probably attract even more people to the series...

No shame in admitting it, the silver lining is that you're here now and you can differentiate + appreciate the story depicted in the manga. This sort of situation was briefly discussed in the introduction of most recent SkullKast (http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=15355.msg248919#msg248919).

Be sure to support Berserk by purchasing the manga and enjoy the ride dude.

IncantatioN said:
Be sure to support Berserk by purchasing the manga and enjoy the ride dude.

Thanks! And yeah I've bought 9 volumes already (I'd buy them all in one go if I had the money) and am doing a re-read.

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
I discovered it through my brother, who really likes watching anime. It was years ago and I had only watched 2 or 3 animes, but then I gave the 90's Berserk anime a try. After that I rewatched it some times, because it was so good.

Since it only covered up to the eclipse, my only way of knowing the rest of the story was reading the actual manga, something I had never done. But I wanted to know, and a lot, so I gave the manga a try. And then I had to control myself so I wouldn't read the whole manga in less than a week - from the very first page to the very last. Reading books is a hobby to me, but reading mangas still isn't, Berserk and Vagabond are the only exception (started Vagabond indirectly thanks to Berserk).

It's just too good to not read, and it really helped my minor depression.

Sixtopia

Elf Dimension Style!
One of my old roommates in college was a big fan of manga and knew I liked anime, so he would often suggest shows to me that I normally wouldn't know of. He told me about Berserk and suggested I watch the '97 anime, which I watched in 2015. This was my first introduction to the series. I really liked the anime but wanted to know what happened after. Around the time I finished the anime, the announcement came out for the 2016 adaptation, which I was ecstatic about. I watched it when it came out but wasn't a huge fan due to the presentation and choice of 3DCG.

While the 2017 adaptation/second season was airing, another friend from college was always recommending I read the manga, which I finally did about halfway through the season after stumbling upon a local anime/manga shop. After picking up the first few Dark Horse volumes, I was hooked. I made a weekly routine to run to this store and pick up a few more volumes every weekend until I was caught up, about 2 months ago. The same friend recommended I listen to the SkullKast, where I eventually got into SK.net. Now I'm re-reading the manga from start to finish.

PS: It's very weird listening through the SkullKast episodes and hearing about the guys' life events (new kids, marriages, etc) from 5 or so years ago. They're like little time capsules.

Back in the day, around 2002/2003, I was eating Mall Chinese food. My fortune cookie said "today your mind will be fucking blown!" Thinking nothing of it I walked into one of those video stores that no longer exist. And there it was, in all its glory, that beautiful red DVD case. 2017 and my minds still blown

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
rockvoanjd said:
Back in the day, around 2002/2003, I was eating Mall Chinese food. My fortune cookie said "today your mind will be fucking blown!" Thinking nothing of it I walked into one of those video stores that no longer exist. And there it was, in all its glory, that beautiful red DVD case. 2017 and my minds still blown

I don't think I've ever had a fortune cookie tell me anything that colorful. :isidro:

I had a D&D group that played regularly and someone kept talking about this amazing anime that kind of fit the D&D world. The guy gushed about it, but we were all a bit skeptical because anime can be pretty polarizing and weird at times. But he wore us down and we decided to do a screening night with drinks and pizza over the course of two nights. It started pretty typically and we were all bemoaning cliches here and there that were later subverted and by the time we got to the court intrigue, we were all hooked.

Fast forward a year or two when I was going through different comic series and I decide to see what that whole Eclipse thing was about and see where the story went from there. It was the First Manga I read since Akira, and remains that way, but I was hooked. The Art, the story, the characters. The creativity and brutality, and the commentary on human nature. What's not to love? Ever since then I've been on SK.net at least once a week, and have been following it episodically ever since.

Skullnite

IG:@Bersucker
it was like 2013. me and my sister went to this japanese convention, hyper japan. while she was off somewhere taking pics, i was looking in the anime dvd section, looking for a decent seinen. i ended up finding a berserk ova, the first one for about £10. i decided to buy it since it looked interesting enough. i watched and finished it within my first few hours of getting home (i wasn't a massive fan of the gc at the time though) and was actually pretty annoyed that i didn't bother to get the other two. so i went on the internet to see into getting them. i then found out there was an older, cg free anime. of course i watched it (but weirdly didn't finish until 2015 and i'm not sure where that was due to my laziness or work). now, after finishing that, i naturally wanted more. so i finally decided to get on the manga and now here i am, waiting on the next chapter. :serpico:

Top Bottom