How much do you think Guts' sword weigh?

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
I suppose it'd be lame if I answered my own question since I went ahead and did some calculations assuming Guts' sword's length, width, depth, and material composition.

I say 6 feet long, 20 inches wide, and 3 inches deep.
Also I assume its made of some form of steel.

What do you guys think?

I came up with it being 580 kilograms mass... so that'd easily be over 1000 pounds weight on earth.  Okay I am lame.  Regardless, I want you guys to give your input perhaps relating to my error if their is any.

Holy crap thats a big sword...  I mean 580 kilograms.  If that thing were NEVER SHARPENED, the inertia of it being swung so fast could cleave through sheets of metal.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Re: How much does Guts' sword weigh?

It was made to kill a dragon after all. :D

In all seriousness, the length alone would make it all but impossible to unsheathe, let alone swing. Working beyond that improbability, the weight matter would doom it to failure altogether. But hey, this is a manga after all.

Incidentally, I had different dimensions in mind for the ol' DS;
L=5'9" W=1'6" D=1.5"
I've sadly forgotten the formula for calculating mass; if you'll PM it to me, I'll gladly do the calculations myself.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure

Herald of Yama said:
It was made to kill a dragon after all. :D

In all seriousness, the length alone would make it all but impossible to unsheathe, let alone swing. Working beyond that improbability, the weight matter would doom it to failure altogether. But hey, this is a manga after all.

Incidentally, I had different dimensions in mind for the ol' DS;
L=5'9" W=1'6" D=1.5"
I've sadly forgotten the formula for calculating mass; if you'll PM it to me, I'll gladly do the calculations myself.

Hmm that makes me think... how tall is Guts supposed to be?  I though he was like, 6'2"-6'5"... then again I may have just been assuming he'd have to be tall to be a bad ass.

Also is that why Godo got banned from wherever, is because when he made the sword people thought he was being a smart ass?

Also, lets not forget the interstice theory relating to Guts' strength... but still man. Holy crap. Some point I will look up much horsepower is required to set a 580 kg object into motion.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
By my juryrigged numbers, the Dragon Slayer comes out to 239.6565 kg. So, roughly 240 kilos.

Concerning Guts' height-hmm, if he's 6'3" that's 75" less 69" length of DS that leaves about 6" ground clearance. Seems about right to me.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
Herald of Yama said:
By my juryrigged numbers, the Dragon Slayer comes out to 239.6565 kg. So, roughly 240 kilos.

Concerning Guts' height-hmm, if he's 6'3" that's 75" less 69" length of DS that leaves about 6" ground clearance. Seems about right to me.

That is still around 500 pounds o_o

And yeah as for length I think your idea'd be closer considering that even though people say the sword is as tall as him and what not, he cant just drag it around....

WAIT! REVELATION!  The sword isn't straight up and down, isn't it strapped into place with a slight tilt?

one horsepower = 550lbs 1ft in 1 second

okay so lets say it weighs 500 pounds, it would take slightly less then a second to move one foot at one horse power.

One swing of Guts' takes much less then a second (about 1/3 second?) judging by how he moves in the videogame, and moves across a 5 foot arc at his hand, and 30 foot arc at it's end. So since we have centriputal force that makes the most inertia at the end of the blade, we should take the end of the blade's arc as it's movement. So 30 feet in 1/3 a second would be 90 feet per second. 90 feet per second with a 500 pound object would mean a swing from the object unmoving would be about 80-100 HP? I am not sure about my calculations but I am sure they are at least close.

Guts isn't quite a truck, but he'll definately love you like one. Berserker.

The search button is quite useful in this situation. Just put in "Dragonslayer weigh" and you get (not edited, just copied and pasted because I'm tired, and if you wish to see the details, just use the search button ;D):

Re: Forged from Iron...Another view on the DS
in Berserk Miscellaneous

Re: Forged from Iron...Another view on the DS by NeoBerserker
... enough i have just determined the weight of the dragonslayer by visually taking ...
... katanas, guesstamating that each katana weighs 3.06 lbs (approx.), times those two ...
... you get 193 lbs approx.The DS probally weights more (definately more, but not that ...
... ) because of the handle and the counter weight at the bottom, and because i used a ...
NeoBerserker 35.7% July 23, 2004, 08:46:14 PM

Character Stats!
in Berserk Miscellaneous

Character Stats! by IgnusDei
... Attack (character bonus)Equipment:Dragonslayerweight: approx. 300 lbs2d20 slashing ...
IgnusDei 25.7% October 07, 2003, 11:47:14 PM

Re:scuba guts?
in Berserk Miscellaneous

Re:scuba guts? by Smith
... (past the air thing)On land, the dragonslayer must weigh a few hundred pounds, and ...
... 7 foot sword from only one end, it must weigh a lot more. Then, his armour is ...
... about 60-100 pounds of added weight.While he would sink in water, gravity ...
Damage Control 24.3% May 07, 2004, 10:53:37 PM
Re:Guts is 190cm tall (6'23)
in Berserk Miscellaneous

Re:Guts is 190cm tall (6'23) by SSGWNBTD
... so...I rather want to know how much the Dragonslayer weights? I calculated the weight of the ...
puella 23.4% December 14, 2003, 06:25:57 AM

Re:Scientific access to Guts' power
in Berserk Miscellaneous

Re:Scientific access to Guts' power by xechnao
... is resisted for example against the weight of another mass then the one who can ...
... the movement is unresisted regarding Dragonslayer so in this movement Guts is not faster ...
puella 21.6% December 11, 2003, 04:21:48 AM
Dragonslayer - How absurd is it EXACTLY
in Berserk Miscellaneous

Dragonslayer - How absurd is it EXACTLY by Majin Tenshi
... determine the exact dimensions of the dragonslayer to get it's weigh.So, what are the ...
Majin Tenshi 16.3% August 07, 2002, 10:09:43 PM
Re: New Game!
in Berserk Miscellaneous

Re: New Game! by ThaBlackSwordsman
... the dragonslayer thing kills me... i mean its cool to ...
... real and guess the actual size and weight of it, but i mean, like when i was ...
... ...when you actually talk about the dragonslayers weight and dimensions!9whoo almost ...
ThaBlackSwordsman 14.3% August 10, 2002, 11:36:45 AM
Re: gatt's fake arm
in Berserk Miscellaneous

Re: gatt's fake arm by CnC
... can't think of a time where the entire weight of the dragonslayer was solely on the ...
strider2k 6.5% August 20, 2002, 08:23:20 PM
Re: The Sword
in Berserk Miscellaneous

Re: The Sword by Kuroi-san
... yes, light weight HELL NO. I don't think. Hmmm, it ...
... a simple No-Dachi, imagine how much the DragonSlayer would cost... ...

- C

PS. Hopefully learning something new everyday...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

As Damage Control pointed out, using the Search button would direct you toward threads that feature discussions resolving around your questions, if not answering them. For example:

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2540.0
http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=3400.0
http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2441.0
http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=376.0

Tristram said:
how tall is Guts supposed to be? I though he was like, 6'2"-6'5"...

He's 190cm (6'23").

Tristram said:
Also is that why Godo got banned from wherever, is because when he made the sword people thought he was being a smart ass?

The king that asked him to make the sword thought so.

Tristram said:
I was using steel.

The Dragon Slayer is said to be made of iron in the manga. Now it could be some form of steel (knowing Godot's talent), there are so many different kinds of steel anyway, but it's still called a "slab of iron".

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
Well Steel is MOSTLY iron anyways, and the difference in weight between them is fairly insubstantial (a few carbon atoms here and there doesn't add much to weight).

I think the slab of iron comment is what uneducated raiders and soldiers refer to it as. The same men refer to Guts as the Black Swordsman despite his OBVIOUSLY being caucasian. Shows you how smart they are.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tristram said:
the difference in weight between them is fairly insubstantial (a few carbon atoms here and there doesn't add much to weight).

It's a matter of density.

Tristram said:
I think the slab of iron comment is what uneducated raiders and soldiers refer to it as.

No, it's the narration.

Tristram said:
The same men refer to Guts as the Black Swordsman despite his OBVIOUSLY being caucasian. Shows you how smart they are.

Wow. You're quite smart yourself, on the contrary.

Tristram said:
Well Steel is MOSTLY iron anyways, and the difference in weight between them is fairly insubstantial (a few carbon atoms here and there doesn't add much to weight).

Carbon is lighter so a few carbon atoms here and there doesn't add much weight at all, carbon is essential.

Steel is carbon, its iron and carbon, its an alloy. But the amount of carbon to steel was important. It was an age old problem. Weapons were either to soft (it would bend) or to hard (it work crack easily). But carbon addition helped, not to much and not to little. A good mixure, enough so that it stays sharp for a good time and so that it does not bend or break so easily.

rubbereruben

I´m rubber, you´re glue.
When you forge steel from iron and carbon it's impossible (especially in those days) to rule out that oxygen will also get inside the alloy making it brittle. I have no idea what the exact percentage is, but an alloy from iron and carbon can't be called steel unless the percentage of oxygen inside is less than... 0.5%? Don't quote me on that, but it was around a certain percentage. It would take a lot of skill to forge steel. Especially if it's as big as the dragonslayer.

I'd definitely say that Godo was a genius if he could forge something that big out of steel.

Top Bottom