I don't understand Guts' reaction to Griffith

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, it feels like to me as if chapter 365 is at fault for portraying current guts in this way, how does a man that has changed so much just suddenly turn into a raging demon ready to bite off Griffith's pretty head? I can understand him looking annoyed that he can't harm him whatsoever but why would he revert back to the anger of the black swordsman, that kind of ruins the whole narrative of him changing the nature of his whole person

I'm not sure what you mean. Guts' hatred of Griffith is well documented. There are many problems with that fight but his anger isn't among them. In fact, the armor not activating is what's puzzling here, given how he feels.
Let me further explain. Guts' demeanor because of the new family he has is wholly different. The man is calm and collected for the most part, he does not feel much need to go for revenge anymore, as long as he has this family. Upon seeing Griffith again he should still retain that attitude and thought pattern, he should defend and potentially flee with his family not mindlessly attack griffith...I mean...are you trying to tell me he hasn't changed? Because if thats the case then I'm reading the manga wrong

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Let me further explain. Guts' demeanor because of the new family he has is wholly different. The man is calm and collected for the most part, he does not feel much need to go for revenge anymore, as long as he has this family.

He is repeatedly shown to struggle with his desire for revenge during the journey to Elfhelm. The armor almost activates just by hearing the word "falcon" on the beach in volume 28. And I'm not even getting into his "confrontations" with the Beast of Darkness.

Upon seeing Griffith again he should still retain that attitude and thought pattern, he should defend and potentially flee with his family not mindlessly attack griffith...I mean...are you trying to tell me he hasn't changed? Because if thats the case then I'm reading the manga wrong

You are definitely reading the manga wrong if you ever thought Guts would flee upon seeing Griffith in Elfhelm.

That aside, just to be clear, I don't think the depiction of events we got from the Continuation does the scene justice. It would have been very different if we had gotten it from Miura.

He is repeatedly shown to struggle with his desire for revenge during the journey to Elfhelm. The armor almost activates just by hearing the word "falcon" on the beach in volume 28. And I'm not even getting into his "confrontations" with the Beast of Darkness.
So?
You are definitely reading the manga wrong if you ever thought Guts would flee upon seeing Griffith in Elfhelm.
That would not be FLEEING that would be protecting what he holds dear. It's all about priorities, he has Casca's MIND back. It would be surface level to view Guts as a mindless rage-a-holic who would forget everything again after everything he's been through... No. I disagree with you.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

So he still does feel a strong desire for revenge against Griffith, unlike what you are saying.

That would not be FLEEING that would be protecting what he holds dear. It's all about priorities, he has Casca's MIND back. It would be surface level to view Guts as a mindless rage-a-holic who would forget everything again after everything he's been through... No. I disagree with you.

You're the one who used the word "flee", I just repeated it. And going after Griffith isn't about being a "rage-a-holic", that's a really weird way of describing things. Lastly, protecting Casca wasn't really an issue here until Griffith abducted her, and if Guts had been able to defeat him, that wouldn't have happened.

If you really think Guts had put revenge completely behind him in volume 41, I don't know what to tell you except that you need to read the manga more carefully.

So he still does feel a strong desire for revenge against Griffith, unlike what you are saying.
Of course he does, I know he does. That doesn't mean he would behave the same way he once did. I mean, its highly unlikely, anyway.
You're the one who used the word "flee", I just repeated it. And going after Griffith isn't about being a "rage-a-holic", that's a really weird way of describing things. Lastly, protecting Casca wasn't really an issue here until Griffith abducted her, and if Guts had been able to defeat him, that wouldn't have happened.

If you really think Guts had put revenge completely behind him in volume 41, I don't know what to tell you except that you need to read the manga more carefully.
Nah thats not what I'm saying, he hasn't put it behind him but over the course theres a strong narrative and implications where he realizes that his focus and energy should be spent on his relationships not on trying to kill a now just an empty shell(because Griffith is technically not even a thing anymore, unless you see Griffith as his dream, then he is wholly there). I have no doubt Guts would go for a strike but he would not have a rage face on him, he would act very differently, and thats basically my point, he wouldnt go apeshit, he would be serious but not overly dramatic until that point when he would see that he cannot damage Griffith, and that he took his love from him again, at that point I can see him reverting back to that demeanor he once had

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Of course he does, I know he does. That doesn't mean he would behave the same way he once did. I mean, its highly unlikely, anyway.

You said: "he does not feel much need to go for revenge anymore, as long as he has this family". That is incorrect, hence my reply to you.

an empty shell(because Griffith is technically not even a thing anymore, unless you see Griffith as his dream, then he is wholly there)

The man Griffith was during the Golden Age doesn't exist anymore as such, but Femto can hardly be called an "empty shell".

I have no doubt Guts would go for a strike but he would not have a rage face on him, he would act very differently, and thats basically my point, he wouldnt go apeshit, he would be serious but not overly dramatic until that point when he would see that he cannot damage Griffith, and that he took his love from him again, at that point I can see him reverting back to that demeanor he once had

I mean, if your issue is with the execution of the scene by Mori & staff, then I have nothing to say. I've already expressed my feelings on the matter in the relevant threads & podcasts. I'm not really interested in discussing it further.

I mean, if your issue is with the execution of the scene by Mori & staff, then I have nothing to say. I've already expressed my feelings on the matter in the relevant threads & podcasts. I'm not really interested in discussing it further.
But do you personally believe that Guts would just revert back to his old self after everything he's been thru?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
But do you personally believe that Guts would just revert back to his old self after everything he's been thru?

I don't think the idea that he would attack Griffith constitutes a reversal for his character. It seems to me that you're just bothered because the scene was poorly done, which I can understand.

I don't think the idea that he would attack Griffith constitutes a reversal for his character. It seems to me that you're just bothered because the scene was poorly done, which I can understand.

755537005542375515.webp

it was very poorly done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom