Immigrating.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Lets suppose, completely hypothetically, that I find myself unable to identify with American culture and that there is next to nothing here for me. So, for that, and various other sundry reasons that I'd rather not bore you all with. I'm seriously considering making a Hop-Skip-and-a-Jump over the pond. I'm considering England, since I actually know a few people there, France (Hi Aaz, you don't mind if I stay at your place for a little while while I get settled do you?) and possibly Finland. I am of course looking up information on my own like a good little Internet user but I also think that it's a good idea to ask the people who actually live there. What should I expect?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shouldn't be too hard for an American citizen to immigrate to France. You'd need a valid reason though (like a job waiting for you here), because they're making it harder to immigrate these days.

Other than that, what do you want to know exactly?

Forest Wraith

Right, that's what I was gathering from what little I've had time to read up on, namely that you have to have a spouse or work permit . . . Hmm . . . I'll keep looking since this seems like a specialized kind of question: but what kind of work opportunities are available for immigrants? Something in the arts would be ideal, namely Blacksmithing. Although I would guess that I'd be doing a lot of manual labor and municipal work, at least Until I can become fluent enough in French to hold higher paying jobs. I'd Love to take courses in French, German and Finnish but my resources are severely limited right now: so if you have anything readily available in regards to learning French at your disposal, it would be greatly appreciated. I know that there's a thread for speaking French around here, I think It's time for a Revival!
Other then that, whatever you think is relevant without forcing yourself to write an essay of redundant information is fine.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well they have free courses to learn French in cityhalls for immigrants in big cities. I think it'd be determinant for you to have at least some kind of project in order to immigrate, as opposed to just coming over and looking for a job and a place once you'll be here. As for blacksmithing, that's relatively specific and it'll likely limit the places you'll be able to live in, but if you're skilled enough and have referrals then I guess it could work.

For more precise and technical details, the best way is probably to contact your embassy.

Forest Wraith

Right, going through the proper referrals does seem like a good idea. What exactly do you mean by working as a Blacksmith would limit where I could work? Would that be only high-income areas I'm guessing? That's a shame because all I have going for me is years of study and a burning desire but alas, no practical experience.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
What exactly do you mean by working as a Blacksmith would limit where I could work? Would that be only high-income areas I'm guessing?

Well blacksmithing isn't exactly a very common activity in France, so you'd have to live not too far from a blacksmithing business. I don't know what they tell you about us in the USA but it's not the Middle Ages anymore over here. :troll: It's just not a very common job.

Forest Wraith said:
That's a shame because all I have going for me is years of study and a burning desire but alas, no practical experience.

If you have a diploma there's no problem, as long as you're searching for a job related to it. Otherwise it's up to you to bust your ass trying to convince someone to hire you and help you come over.

Forest Wraith

Aazealh said:
Well blacksmithing isn't exactly a very common activity in France, so you'd have to live not too far from a blacksmithing business. I don't know what they tell you about us in the USA but it's not the Middle Ages anymore over here. :troll: It's just not a very common job.

Well, I have always heard that the French have a great appreciation for the arts and a thriving arts community. At least when they're not drinking themselves to death and gorging themselves on Cheese . . . Or winning our enmity for not wanting to throw away their lives in war . . . Why do you Hate America so much?
Anyway, it's the impressions from people who actually live there of what the place is actually like that I'm also interested in, so thank you.

Aazealh said:
If you have a diploma there's no problem, as long as you're searching for a job related to it. Otherwise it's up to you to bust your ass trying to convince someone to hire you and help you come over.

As I would expect, I feel fairly confident about that as I have an eagerness to learn and a willingness to push myself. I'm browsing the U.S. French Embassies official website right now and I'm going to look up some info on Britain and Finland soon.

BOB

poruno sutâ
Aazealh said:
I don't know what they tell you about us in the USA but it's not the Middle Ages anymore over here.

You frenchies are closer to it than us germans, tho :guts:

BOB

poruno sutâ
Aazealh said:
Pfff, everybody knows Germans are barbarians! What with all that violent music! :troll:

artistic expression as a means of coming to terms with the horrible frog eating habits of our french
brothers and sisters.

But thanks a lot for sophisticated musical entertainment like this :troll:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IxN6XwORDnw

Forest Wraith

Funny, since I'm listening to Corvus Corax right now. They are one of my top favorite bands ever, so thank you Deutschland.

BOB

poruno sutâ
you know that the whole medieval LARP and cosplay stuff is widely considered a geek thing, right :troll:

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Two words : Croatia!

Spend some time in my country and you gonna discover that love for the U S and A is all but gone from your heart! :guts:

Come to Sweden, we've got it all here and I'm sure you'd be able to find more work here than in finland :serpico:.
It shouldn't be too hard to immigrate here either!
And I can't really see Aazealh saying anything about hating the US :schierke: All I can see is you bashing the french.
In general you'll find america isn't very liked here in Europe (I'm half swedish and half american, so I know) but noone really hates the american people in itself, I think it's more the fact that it's one of the richest countries in the world and still has a very high percentage of people who live beneath existance minimum. (So basically, it's a hate for american politics.)
In any case, good luck finding a nice place to live, I'm sure you'll find it.
As for medievil larp and cosplay stuff being considered geek, where did that comment come from out of the blue? who honestly cares? I don't think people who post on this board aim to win any high school popularity contests. :schierke:

Dirty Dog

Let me ask you - what about american "culture" do you not identify with?
Because if it's the same as with me, moving to a different country won't help much... unless you aim to go to the middle east, or maybe some shithole third world country where you'll wake up with to a cockroach the size of your fist trying to crawl into your ear most mornings. :troll:

Also, might I suggest Canada? Sure, it's colder than fuck... but it's got alot of upsides. I mean, it's usually ignored. You certainly won't need to worry about any stupid ass wars anytime soon.

(I'm american, but I've been considering moving to canada for quite some time myself)

I'm actually becomming a Blacksmith my self, I'm taking lessons. I've also been in a welding class and know a bit about that too. I have a shop here at home where I build/weld things togeather sometimes, I'm expanding our shop, with a metal shed where my forge and powerhammer stuff will be built, I could give you some information about Black Smithing if you like and or viceversa. msg ur AIM sn or MSN.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dirty Dog said:
some shithole third world country where you'll wake up with to a cockroach the size of your fist trying to crawl into your ear most mornings. :troll:

Sorry to tell you, but that happens quite often in some parts of the USA...

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Good news everyone! Operation Canadian Freedom is underway next month!

Oh dear....

Atomic%20Bomb.gif

Welp, you people should have been born with Irish grandparents and guaranteed dual citizenship. It's kind of nice knowing that if I wake up one day and want to live in Ireland, I can with no strings attached. In this day and age you're all barbarians to we Celts.

I really can't imagine why anyone would want to leave the U.S. right now outside of a job opportunity or ethnic identity. I admit that as an Irish Catholic, the midwest is a relatively horrible place, but the discrimination I've experienced while traveling in Europe (outside of the UK and Ireland) would make me think it's a rather disconcerting enterprise to look for something better outside of my own ethnic homeland.

Granted, I can always retreat to Boston, so I guess if you were say, Czech or some tiny minority like that it would make sense. But just leaving the culture is kind of pointless, what with the march of globalization. Hell, when I spent a semester in Ireland I met as many Slavs as as Gaelic speakers, which really angered me after spending so much time studying Gaelic only to find Polish as prevalent, if not more so. Catholic identity is really dying as well, at least in the big cities; Dublin is really an international one at this point. Actually, in a weird way, I think Boston is almost more Irish than Dublin at this point.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Sorry to tell you, but that happens quite often in some parts of the USA...

Only in those low brow Northern states.

Honestly i don't get it I've ran into more back water hicks in New York state then Georgia, Delaware, Maryland and West/normal Virginia put together.

What are you going to say about that you crummy new yorkers! :chomp:

Forest Wraith

Wow, A storm of new replies. I suppose I can further outline my motivations since the topic is generating more interest.
To be honest, it isn't so much immigrating to another country that I need as much as it is to move to a more urban area with a good public-transit system so I can finally get somewhere in life. On that note, I actually have considering setting off for Boston. Then there is the appeal of the Exotic, of living somewhere different and that's something I really do need, even if I find it here in America. I am in dire need of a change of pace. Finally, there is the fact that, without trying to look pretentious, that I feel at odds with the American Zeitgeist: That I belong in an entirely different mode of expression and that I will have a hard time finding it and living it to it's fullest expression here.

Donald Shimoda said:
I'm actually becomming a Blacksmith my self, I'm taking lessons. I've also been in a welding class and know a bit about that too. I have a shop here at home where I build/weld things togeather sometimes, I'm expanding our shop, with a metal shed where my forge and powerhammer stuff will be built, I could give you some information about Black Smithing if you like and or viceversa. msg ur AIM sn or MSN.

Nice, what kind of work are you doing exactly? I've studied extensively and I hope to work in Bladesmithing, Home Furnishings and maybe a little Architectural metalwork.

Top Bottom