In the end, where do you think Gatts truly belongs?

tonberrykid02

Berserk is genius....pure genius!
i think we can all agree that Gatts' search for a place to call home has been an ongoing theme in Berserk.

At first, he thought it was with Gambino and the mercenaries. But that wasnt meant to be.

Then he thought it was with The Hawks, but that CLEARLY wasnt meant to have a happy ending.

The he sought refuge in his hatred and his sword by losing himself in battle as the Black Swordsman. But those days are over.

Now he has settled down with the current gang, but i really dont think this is meant to last either.

i think time will prove that his place is with Casca. Despite all he's been through and all his struggles to find himself, Caska is the only person who has always been WITH him (though she hasnt been there FOR him since she went crazy). but in the end, i think Miura will be telling us that love is all you need.

Re: In the end, where do you think Guts truly belongs?

Perhaps, but I believe it will be some path that will still involve the sword.  I doubt he'll settle down somewhere nice and quiet whenever casca regains her sanity (or even if he kills griffith).

When he returned after he left the Hawk Band, he told Judeau and gang that he could only find answers through the use of his sword, that he couldn't feel any real sensation (jikkan, can't think of a better translation off the top of my head...) without the sword.

So Guts will probably be go swinging his sword around till he bites the dust.  That's my assessment.  As for Casca, I believe she belongs with him, not the other way around.  But that's just me.

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.

Though I'd love to see Guts finally find peace and happiness with Casca at his side, I don't think he'll be able to completely settle down in a physical home. He's traveled, fought or done both his entire life not really staying in one place for too long unless it's to heal his wounds, train, or find a way to kill an apostle in said place.

In terms of friendship or camaraderie that makes him feel like he belongs somewhere, I do see that. He's already treating everyone in his current band like his family. He's gotten protective of them and these last episodes shows how he does have concern for Shierke and Farnese's well-being.

I don't think that Guts realized how important those things are and were until he left the Band of the Hawks trying to find his own purpose and place to belong. He doesn't have a real town or place he can call his hometown and the closest he has to a house he can come back to is Godo's house.

Mentally, that friendship and compansionship have given him a home. But I don't think he could really ever stay in a single physical place unless he was completely bed-ridden or found no need to travel and swing his sword anymore.

Guts has been fighting in bloody battles since he was a pre-teen. It is hard to imagine him living peacefully after it is all over and done with. He said it himself, he is attracted to battle "to the sparks two swords make when they clash in battle". I think the ending would most likely be like Cowboy bebop with Griffith's death, than Guts dies from a fatal wound shortly after. I cant see how guts could live a peaceful life.

Concealed_Rage said:
I cant see how guts could live a peaceful life.

He have be able to live in peaceful life with Caska at Elfhelm (The only safe place left in the world for both of them) after Griffith is dead and Caska recovered..

Becoming a living legend that will last for centuries... 8) 8)

I am sure he might have the chance, but if he survives you really think he will settle down? This is guts the 100 man slayer the black swordsmen, he has been fighting in gruesome battles since he was a preteen. The reason he lives is to fight it is all he does and he does it well.

Posted by: Concealed_Rage Posted on: Today at 06:35:12 PM

I am sure he might have the chance, but if he survives you really think he will settle down? This is guts the 100 man slayer the black swordsmen, he has been fighting in gruesome battles since he was a preteen.

Men that were bullies as kids, always in trouble, joined the army for 30 years and served 6 campaigns in 3 wars, still settled down when it was all done and had kids.

Posted by: Concealed_Rage Posted on: Today at 06:35:12 PM
The reason he lives is to fight it is all he does and he does it well.

Originally, cause that's all he knew. There is so much more in Berserk besides a big guy that swings a large sword. <advertisement> Go check out the Berserk encyclopedia by clicking on the smiley face to see. ;D <advertisement>

- C 8)

S

Some Guy

I could see Guts settling down, but only after taking care of all the crap he needs to settle first (assuming that ever happens , of course). Sure he's been wandering around fighting so far, but I don't think he'll be dong that for the rest of his life.

I don't think he'll ever leave Casca again to go on a personal venture. If he does settle down, he would be sharing it with Casca.

I honestly believe guts will die at the end, maybe by a fatal wound caused by Griffith "before guts kills him of course". Guts living a peacefull or somewhat happy life is highly unlikely, those word together leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Guts, peacefull, and happy are 3 words that don't belong on the same page, they are not berserk. There is no such thing as a happy ending in berserk no matter how much you want or think guts should have one. think about it

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Concealed_Rage said:
Guts, peacefull, and happy are 3 words that don't belong on the same page, they are not berserk. There is no such thing as a happy ending in berserk no matter how much you want or think guts should have one.

Please don't think too highly of your opinion of what is and what is not Berserk.

Come on, in the manga i cant remember one person that gets a good deal by the end of their part of the story.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Concealed_Rage said:
I honestly believe guts will die at the end, maybe by a fatal wound caused by Griffith "before guts kills him of course". 
138.png

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure

Thats a great image!  I saved it to my computer (not as background though, just to show to friends!)

Top Bottom