iPhone

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-unveils-revolutionary-iphone/9295
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/01/09/apple.macworld.ap/index.html

iphone01.jpg

Steve Jobs, shown here as happy as a garden gnome basking in the sexual glow of Spring, in front of his new consumer-market-conquering tool.

Steve Jobs showed off the next wave of iPod spinoff products: The iPhone, complete with mp3 playback, a widescreen touch-display and internet crap.

One of the features Jobs just can't get enough of, as seen in the video on CNN, is the touch-screen ability of the phone, calling it REVOLUTIONARY. Will it be able to play DS games? :troll:

"The iPhone, which starts at $499, will "reinvent" the telecommunications sector and "leapfrog" past the current generation of hard-to-use smart phones, Jobs said."

Yes, it costs as much as a PS3. They also have a $599 model. "FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE DOLLARS. FIVE HUND-!" Yeah, you get the picture.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I was debating whether or not to start a thread about this here.... anyhoo.

Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised with the presentation (I watched the keynote). I'll withhold final judgment until I hear how well it gets reception and how resistant the screen is to smudges and scratches.
I like the size, browser, email, video, and photo manipulation.
I don't like the kinda low 8 gigs of space, and the price.

However I was looking for a laptop for some remote stuff I'm going to have to be doing (my old one is huge and 4 1/2 years old, Aaz... yeesh). So I was actually considering a smart phone but I loathed at the thought of doing e-mail on those things. That plus a potential tax write-off might make me get this.
I'll keep an eye on this.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess it's not bad for a smartphone, it certainly beats the aberration that is the Blackberry. I wonder if it'll outlive the hype though, what with the price and short battery life. Besides, cellphone manufacturers should react quickly with adapted products.

CnC said:
However I was looking for a laptop for some remote stuff I'm going to have to be doing (my old one is huge and 4 1/2 years old, Aaz... yeesh). So I was actually considering a smart phone but I loathed at the thought of doing e-mail on those things.

That's just my opinion but I'd say go for a laptop. If you're going to fork $500 for this, you might as well put $500 more and get a real computer instead of a PDA/phone hybrid that'll be "old" within a year. These things are only useful to ultra-mobile businessmen in my experience, the kind of people that get a call a minute and are never in their office.

I agree with Aazealh, a smartphone is only interresting when you already have a laptop and sooo much work you need something with it.

I don't have much work so the things I do, I do on my laptop. I have a PDA though but it's just for reading e-mail and notes and maybe some internet from time to time when I can't be bothered to start up my laptop.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Besides, cellphone manufacturers should react quickly with adapted products.

Well if they get anywhere near this design apple'll sue the bejeezus out of them, I imagine.

Aazealh said:
That's just my opinion but I'd say go for a laptop. If you're going to fork $500 for this, you might as well put $500 more and get a real computer instead of a PDA/phone hybrid that'll be "old" within a year. These things are only useful to ultra-mobile businessmen in my experience, the kind of people that get a call a minute and are never in their office.

well my problem with getting the laptop is basically its overkill for what I need it for. If I had to work remotely then I would consider it. But quite frankly, doing high rez images on a 15-17" screen is annoying to say the least. My laptop would be a glorified e-mail machine. But obviously, I wouldn't buy anything without doing the legwork; so we'll see how the level headed techies rate this phone.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The coolest feature, in my opinion is the fully touch-screen display. I.E. a beefed up Nintendo DS with phone capabilities. Most of the other features, such as the ability to check my fucking stocks via my cell phone, or teleconferencing with 4 different people while on speaker phone and listening to Coldplay, don’t exactly appeal to me. Of course, by my own admission I’m a minimalist when it comes to technology, and in that regard, I’m sure I’m a niche market in the wide world of bling-bling model cell phones.

Since I got my most recent phone in April 2005, I’ve been telling myself the only feature I want in my next phone is to not be slow as balls when navigating through the menus and sending text messages. I could care less about internet connectivity or photos. On the other hand, in a purely visionary aspect, I am glad Apple is looking into the next generation for the technology; testing the waters with several alien features to current-model cell phones, so that the next generation will be able to do cool shit like this:

multitool01.jpg

Of course, at $499 a pop, it may not be worth using 2 phones on that keypad. Better to garrote the guard and read his secret diary entry with the combination.​

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Well the latest and greatest news is that Cisco is suing apple over the name. It seems that Cisco actually bought the name "iPhone" back in 2000.

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Well the latest and greatest news is that Cisco is suing apple over the name. It seems that Cisco actually bought the name "iPhone" back in 2000.
I thought you meant 'Crisco' until I did a search on google.
*sigh* got my hopes up for nothing.

Anyhow... looks attractive with the features and all, but the price is a little out of my league.

Expect something equally ironic as this thing after the lawsuit is over :chomp:
Jobs demonstrated the phone's music capabilities by playing The Beatles.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Man, I thought that guy's career was dead after THE THONG SONG. Clearly, I was mistaken.

427556_VH_L_F.jpg

:troll:

Top Bottom