Ironman- The Movie

the movie was okay... like hulk, there was limited ironman on screen... i was bothered by the extra ending...

shaft with an eye patch... i know this nick is based on the ultimate so its not like they are pulling a kingpin but still i am so tired of this mans 15 min seeming like an eternity... he is the same m/f'er in every movie

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Psymont 2.0 said:
shaft with an eye patch... i know this nick is based on the ultimate so its not like they are pulling a kingpin but still i am so tired of this mans 15 min seeming like an eternity... he is the same m/f'er in every movie

You have that retroactively backwards

Majin Tenshi said:

true... but how amazing would it have been if instead of jackson, hasselhoff returned to the role
hasselhoff.jpg

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Psymont 2.0 said:
true... but how amazing would it have been if instead of jackson, hasselhoff returned to the role

Jackson ruined the movie for me.

Personal suggestion, just don't stay after the end credits. LEAVE.

slayer81

Legendary pimp, slayer of evils
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Jackson ruined the movie for me.

Personal suggestion, just don't stay after the end credits. LEAVE.
LMAO, if whatever happens after the credits scars someone to the point that they have an affinity for David Hasselhoff nude with puppies, I'm bolting as soon as the movie's over! :serpico:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
slayer81 said:
LMAO, if whatever happens after the credits scars someone to the point that they have an affinity for David Hasselhoff nude with puppies, I'm bolting as soon as the movie's over! :serpico:

It's actually worse, it's a jackson.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I saw this last night, but I didn't stick around after the credits, and apparently I made the right decision. I liked the movie. It has some really strong points, but it's entirely predictable. Even from the first 30 minutes, you have a good indication what will happen throughout the entire film - every little plot point.

But being able to see the rails on this ride doesn't knock it down a notch. The character development saves it from being boring. Stark's an easy character to root for. But you know... the whole movie lingers with John Favreau-ness. In nearly every scene, Stark feels just seconds away from belting out "I am SO MONEY!" He may have even done that. It would have fit in OK, really.

That's not to say the comedy doesn't work. It does. And that's not to say the character development doesn't work, because that's the movie's strongest point, I thought, other than the special effects.

But onto some spoilers:
Though I have much respect for Jeff Bridges, especially as The Dude, he simply does NOT work as a villain here. He pulls off the sleaze factor in the middle portion of the movie well enough. But the final action sequence is really, REALLY clunky, and Im not just referring to the Iron Monger here. The dialogue exchange between Stark and Stane is so on-the-nose it's awkward to watch. It may have worked as a stand-alone, 5 minute movie, what with Stane recapping their relationship and why he has to destroy him, but as the climax of a film... awkward and forced.

So, best comic book adaptation ever? Hardly. Spider-man 1 or Superman Returns still take that bag, in my opinion. But a fun summer flick? Absolutely.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Perineum Falcon said:
except that you saw this in the first place.
Well, it won't be entered in the Criterion Collection or anything, but it was worth seeing I thought.

A

avidwriter

I thought it was good. They could have done a lot of things worse but they didn't and I had no problem with the villan. Iron Man doesn't really have that deep and enemy list if I recall or at least nothing that would look good on screen. Not sure who they'd have him up against in the next one. I didn't stay till after the credits I wasn't aware there was anything but I guess its becoming standard now.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Movie was fun, and I do have to agree with Wally there. Is it me, or did anyone else thought Sammy was gonna pull the "you're TeH NEW xXx, Stark" liner.

Walter said:
Well, it won't be entered in the Criterion Collection or anything, but it was worth seeing I thought.
Certainly not, never assumed it would. My friend and I both thought it'd be a fun little movie to see, except that neither one of us had that much fun with it. Entertainment was all I asked for.

It could've been A LOT worse, no question, but I thought it could've been better, too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, like I said in my post, I wasn't RAVING with excitement afterwards, but it was still a good summer flick. Id give it a 7/10. But still, I have to know...:

The Perineum Falcon said:
My friend and I both thought it'd be a fun little movie to see, except that neither one of us had that much fun with it. Entertainment was all I asked for.
So when Stark busts out of his prison wearing the armor, kicks ass and uses flamethrowers on the terrorists, then takes off in a blaze of glory. That wasn't entertaining?

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
A question for you guys...

I haven't seen it yet and know nothing about Iron man outside of Marvel vs. Capcom on the Dreamcast. Who the hell is the, ugh, "villian" in this one? Not necessarily his name, but the implications that come with him/her. It's not why I want is holding me back from watching the movie, it's utter curiosity.

Uriel said:
A question for you guys...

I haven't seen it yet and know nothing about Iron man outside of Marvel vs. Capcom on the Dreamcast. Who the hell is the, ugh, "villian" in this one? Not necessarily his name, but the implications that come with him/her. It's not why I want is holding me back from watching the movie, it's utter curiosity.

Although I haven't seen the movie.. nor am I really interested. One quick look at wiki reveals all that needs to be known: (SPOILERS AHOY)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obadiah_Stane

I like what this movie, and from the sounds of it, the Incredible Hulk hold for the future of Marvel comic book movies. For one there is now a Marvel Cinematic Universe and that means that they will all be tied together, if not directly till an Avengers flick.

*sorta spoliers*
As its known, there is a Tony Stark RDJ Cameo in the new hulk movie and he also makes many of the "Crazy" weapons that are used against the hulk through out the movie, as well as SHIELD.
*end spoilers*

From what it sounds like, there is gonna be a CapN America movie in 2009 about his WWII era adventures and a Thor movie, with sequels to Iron Man etc coming out as well and Avengers in 2011 with Cap, IronMan, Hulk, and THor.

I cant wait till Marvel Studios gets back the rights to other comic book properties such as a good Fantastic Four movie, less Wolvie centric Xmen flicks (with SENTINALS) and maybe a reboot of Spiderman? I dont know about anyone else but after 3, that series needs to make some major changes.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
HawaiianStallion said:
From what it sounds like, there is gonna be a CapN America movie in 2009 about his WWII era adventures and a Thor movie, with sequels to Iron Man etc coming out as well and Avengers in 2011 with Cap, IronMan, Hulk, and THor.

I can't really understand why so many people are rooting for the Avengers movie. It's going to have too many super heroes, probably too many villians and too much potential to suck. I really want the Marvel movies to almost BE stand alones and not have anything to do with one another.

I cant wait till Marvel Studios gets back the rights to other comic book properties such as a good Fantastic Four movie, less Wolvie centric Xmen flicks (with SENTINALS) and maybe a reboot of Spiderman? I dont know about anyone else but after 3, that series needs to make some major changes.

I've liked Fantastic Four after having to watch it about a million times, it starts to become a satire on the entire super hero movie genera. Person gets super powers, nothing happens for a long time [except they made it funny for this movie], ends with a super villian magicaly popping up and the city thanking them.

I never really liked the X-Men series [THEY KILLED SABERTOOTH WTF] and Spiderman is fine, they just need to stick with more machine based villians and not Sandman. Personaly Spiderman 1 & 2 are great, rebooting the entire series is just ridiculous. Now the Punisher and Hulk movie NEEDED a reboot. They fucked up the origins to the Punisher movie and turned him uber emo. I never saw the Hulk movie, but I just might see this one.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
HawaiianStallion said:
I like what this movie, and from the sounds of it, the Incredible Hulk hold for the future of Marvel comic book movies.

I can't find it on youtube, but if you saw the trailer of the extended fight between the Hulk and Tim Roth in the park... I have ZERO faith in this movie, and I already can't stand Roth's portrayal of a "cocky badass." Unless everyone raves about it after its release, I will most likely not even see it in a dollar theater. It makes me sad.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I have a feeling the new Hulk movie is going to be awful personally. Ang Lee's wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either compared to some of the other superhero movies out there.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well it was apparently regarded to be so bad they had to completely redo it. I didn't mind it that much. But this... looks pretty bad.

Top Bottom