Japanese 9.0 earthquake thread

Both Shueisha and Kodansha, the two of largest Japanese print conglomerates have announced that the publications of all of their respective monthly and weekly manga magazines such as Weekly Shonen and Shonen Jump will go on as scheduled. But 1-2 day delays to the newsstands in many parts of the country is to be expected however, due to fuel shortages and the severe damage to the roads caused by the quake. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything about this current disasters' effect on Hakusensha and their Young Animal magazine. Perhaps SK members who can read Japanese might find out some useful info about this straight from the YA site?

Incidentally, it's worth clarifying the majority of the medias coverage on the nuclear threat is biased and incorrect, the Australian media in particular is juicing the situation to sway everyone away from nuclear power while they're emotional and impressionable, I suppose. I'm not necessarily for nuclear power but regardless if there's a good reason to not to utilise it, the facts alone should be sufficient.

While far from perfect, a more positive and far less sensationalised explanation to the nuclear situation in Japan currently, a good read.
http://ukinjapan.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=News&id=566799182

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to know I'm not the only one realizing this, Sparnage. That being said, Reuters' live coverage is the best source of information I've found so far. They're very fair in their assessment of the situation, which is why I've only been posting information from there.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
So, you mean to tell me that Japan isn't vainly racing against the clock in a desperate last-ditch effort to avert inevitable nuclear holocaust like yahoos been headlining everyday for the past week!? :magni:

Ugh, I'm sad to report California is home to greatest morons on the matter, there's been a run on iodide pills because of the irrational fears of a nuclear death cloud potentially floating over from Japan. Personally, I tell people I'm preparing for potential Godzilla attack; this earthquake and subsequent nuclear radiation is just the type of thing to wake him up and piss him off!

I have a friend that works in a pharmacy and he said after they ran out of the iodide people started buying pills that contained kelp for protection (when they ran out of those, he started telling people to go to the beach if they want kelp). Ironically, the iodide pills pose a greater imminent health risk than any radiation from fucking ravaged Japan, and I'm sorry, but I sincerely hope these people injure themselves in their retarded self-serving hysteria.

Here's a rundown on the insanity here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-18/japanese-atomic-plume-doesn-t-pose-health-threat-to-u-s-coast.html

One of my favorites anecdotes besides the needless hoarding of potentially dangerous medication that probably wouldn't work anyway:

That hasn’t stopped fear from spreading, said Kirk Smith, a professor at the University of California School of Public Health at Berkeley who has studied the fallout from Chernobyl and the health risks of radiation.

Smith said some of his students have discussed moving to Denver to get away from fallout, unaware that exposure to naturally occurring daily radiation is higher in mountainous Colorado than at sea level in California.

“The radiation you get on a flight to Denver would be far higher than anything that could come from Japan,” Smith said.

Our best and brightest. :schierke:

D-Scape said:

Coincidentally, this could suddenly be pertinent to Berserk like it never before given the recent sea-based content and the likely escalation of it in the upcoming battle. Would anyone have been surprised before if the Sea God caused a tsunami?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I thought about that too griff, with all that's to come in the next episode its sure to be even more exciting given japans situation.

Griffith

That's really not what I meant, quite the contrary in fact. I think given Japan's situation it wouldn't be exciting anymore, but potentially distasteful (like the effect on media directly after 9/11). So, I'm wondering if it'll affect Miura's immediate plans one way or another, either what he portrays, or more importantly, how.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
That's really not what I meant, quite the contrary in fact. I think given Japan's situation it wouldn't be exciting anymore, but potentially distasteful (like the effect on media directly after 9/11). So, I'm wondering if it'll affect Miura's immediate plans one way or another, either what he portrays, or more importantly, how.

I hope he doesn't censor anything. If the upcoming content features potentially disturbing images related to water/tsunamis, I'd rather he wait and release it after the current situation has cooled off a bit. I have to admit, after 9/11 and all the footage of the airplanes exploding when they hit the World Trade Center, I wasn't too keen on watching stuff blow up on TV or in film for a while.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
A bit off topic, but one thing that really frustrates me is hearing people, regardless of status crack jokes. Gilbert Gottfried lost his job because of a snarky remark, and it was well warranted. It doesn't surprise me coming from him, but it still blows my mind hearing how insensitive some people can be. My Grandmother still remembers Japanese in the light of Pearl Harbor, so having a discussion about the suffering overseas was a bit...difficult.

Thanks for that article Sparnage, that was very informative.

Aphasia said:
A bit off topic, but one thing that really frustrates me is hearing people, regardless of status crack jokes. Gilbert Gottfried lost his job because of a snarky remark, and it was well warranted. It doesn't surprise me coming from him, but it still blows my mind hearing how insensitive some people can be. My Grandmother still remembers Japanese in the light of Pearl Harbor, so having a discussion about the suffering overseas was a bit...difficult.

Thanks for that article Sparnage, that was very informative.

Pearl Harbor..
http://izismile.com/2011/03/15/jerks_of_facebook_who_take_on_japan_3_pics.html

I knew that there would be people around the world that are ignorant and have the brain capacity of a peanut, but actually seeing it in action is always dumbfounding.

Griffith

Ramen4ever said:
Pearl Harbor..
http://izismile.com/2011/03/15/jerks_of_facebook_who_take_on_japan_3_pics.html

I knew that there would be people around the world that are ignorant and have the brain capacity of a peanut, but actually seeing it in action is always dumbfounding.

Don't forget all those horrible human rights violations that the totalitarian Japanese government commits against their people, that's what those commies get, hell there's a billion of 'em anyway, God is good!

Griffith said:
Don't forget all those horrible human rights violations that the totalitarian Japanese government commits against their people, that's what those commies get, hell there's a billion of 'em anyway, God is good!

That's only the tip of the iceberg, check out the massive portfolio PETA has on these mofos.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Reading all that "Pearl Harbor" bullshit makes me upset. People being like "they got what was coming to them" and bringing up karma and whatnot... Fuck.

Somehow they remember Pearl Harbor and forget about the bombs maybe? Jeez.

Gobolatula said:
Reading all that "Pearl Harbor" bullshit makes me upset. People being like "they got what was coming to them" and bringing up karma and whatnot... Fuck.

Somehow they remember Pearl Harbor and forget about the bombs maybe? Jeez.

Yeah I should have posted a warning, that the link could result in rage and a yearning to punch people in the face.

It actually doesn't matter if they forgot the bombs but remembered Pearl Harbor. Historical conflicts, are about as related to the earthquake and tsunami as the Oort cloud is related to the granola bar I just devoured. Maybe even less.

Rhombaad said:
I hope he doesn't censor anything. If the upcoming content features potentially disturbing images related to water/tsunamis, I'd rather he wait and release it after the current situation has cooled off a bit.

I don't think anything like that would be happening with Berserk. There's simply no way an artist like Miura would just go back and erase the upcoming episode(s) art that he has been laboring over so much for the past 3-4 months, and redraw it all over again to make alterations so it would not be deemed "insensitive". At the very worst, we may expect a future YA issue with the episode 319 containing a disclaimer stating that the events depicted there are purely fictional and any similarities with the recent disasters in Japan are completely coincidental, and are not meant to cause any possible offense to the quake victims or their families. Or something along that line. And besides, what's the worst thing that could happen to Miura and Hakusensha if he goes ahead and publishes the episode, depicting a scene with Sea God conjuring up a gigantic freak tsunami within its panels, for example?
Hopefully, there won't be any misunderstanding between Miura and the general public about Berserk. Nothing like this, at least

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNRsHaD7XlQ[/flash]

Certainly, unlike Gilbert Gottfried's or Rush Limbaugh's tasteless jokes and comments about the Japanese earthquake and tsunami that were uttered after those tragedies have already occurred, anything that will appear in episode 319 was probably already planned and written/illustrated way before that.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
-Hideaki_Akaiwa.jpg

My new hero. Movie material right here.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Aazealh said:
Glad to know I'm not the only one realizing this, Sparnage. That being said, Reuters' live coverage is the best source of information I've found so far. They're very fair in their assessment of the situation, which is why I've only been posting information from there.

I'm still waiting for a cloud of cesium to pass overhead, even now that the levels are completely back to normal.

I'm really glad that a lot of people were sensible about things here, because I was on the escapist (blah) after the earthquake and wouldn't believe the shit I was seeing. Though, east Fukushima prefecture still has a lot to deal with.

Top Bottom