Kentarou Miura has passed away

For a good 30 minutes this morning I thought I was still dreaming when I read the news...
Rest in Peace Miura, your story got me through some tough times, and I'll keep reading it again and again for the rest of my life.

Berserk for me was the greatest story ever told, the highest piece of art mankind has ever created. Nothing surpassed it. No books, no movies, no stage plays.

It was a fantasy story that even in its small scale setting it exceeded Lord of the rings, Dune, Foundation which all i hold dear in my heart.

What we lost was something completely irreplaceable. Berserk being unfinished is an inconceivable tragedy. The death of Kentaro Miura is a crime that nature committed against humanity

So young, with so much more to tell and draw, so much untapped potential. May he rest at the pantheon of those who inspired and elevated mankind through art

How much of human collective imagination pool was lost with his death is unimaginable. Goddammit

I have been away from this site for many years since making an account. I had to go back and leave a comment to say that the death of Miura has affected me deeply. His work has left a lot of emotion that I never felt before, and made me think a lot about life, friendship, and love. I'm glad there is such a great community that I get to talk to about his work. And I hope that he can rest in peace. Thank you Miura and everyone for such a great ride.
Same. I always kept reading and thinking about life when I made an account on this forum and how life is today. So much has happened and Berserk was always there. Rest in peace Miura, thanks for everything.

Zurth

ベルセルク
Still can't believe it... rest in peace Miura, I sincerely hope you were afforded happiness and fulfillment your last few years.

I'm really not ready for that news, hits me like a truck and can't believe it for now, need to swallow it up the next days....

Man, I've been a lurker here for a while, Miura's work has inficed my life since my late teens, its sad to know his vision won't be here any longer, but I'm glad for what I read.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I found out through Susumu Hirasawa, whom I discovered through Berserk. Both him and Miura were deeply influential to me for more than 20 years.

In relation to Berserk being unfinished, deep down I knew this was gonna happen. I just didn’t think it’d be this soon. Hopefully Miura prepared for this as well. I want to believe the hiatuses were meant for him to enjoy his life more, knowing he had serious heart problems, and not just be completely devoted to work. Or maybe I’m just in denial, but I’m still hoping for some closure.

Here’s what Susumu Hirasawa wrote on his website:

Mr. Miura no longer needs to occupy physical space to exist. From now on, we shall "talk to one another" about our concerns as much as we like in our brains without any disturbance from time nor space. Mr. Miura, once again, I look forward to working with you.

Waking up this morning to this news is heartbreaking. Though I am thankful that I am privileged to wake up at all. I still wonder why so many people live quiet lives in pain. You were and still are my inspiration in dark times Miura. Thank you.

I only discovered Berserk during lockdown last year and the story left a huge impact. My friend casually introduced me to the 90's anime and I got hooked. Was surprised at how well a story can combine elements of trauma and healing all via a Dark Fantasy story. When I realized that Kentaro was also the one illustrating, I was floored. The attention to detail coupled with the expansiveness of the panels had me wondering how just one dude could manage it. And most importantly, how well he managed to handle very difficult themes of sexual abuse. Absolutely in awe of this man's work. Rest in power Kentaro Miura.

The Lamb

Luncheable!
Just another lurker signing in to post my respects. Other people are talking about how great his storytelling was, and I'd like to add to that by saying that Berserk always seemed to me the greatest reinterpretation of Shakespeare's Macbeth of all time, told from the perspective of Macduff, and with a vicious magic and brutal humanity that beats even the words of the great bard himself.

The hand of fate is rarely kind

Judo

Midlands finest
This is really shocking news. 20 years ago, Berserk helped me to cope with the death of my parents and since then I've always felt thankful of being able to follow this epic tale.
I've never been emotionally affected by the death of any author/director/actor/musician... but reading this brought tears to my eyes.
R.I.P sensei and thank you for all the places you took us with your extraordinary imagination.

Such a tragic loss. No other medium has made me feel a character as well as Miura-san has and I don't they think ever will. My deepest condolences to his family and everyone touched by his work.

RIP Miura. I can't believe the greatest mangaka of all time is truly gone. Actually, "greatest mangaka" is too weak a phrase: "The greatest artist and storyteller of all time" is more accurate.

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing imagination with all of us.

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
You spent your life creating something that helped so, so many people. I can only think about what your feelings were in the end. I'll make sure I don't waste my time, because yours ran out. I will honor you by struggling on and living the life you helped me keep.
Thank you, Miura. May your soul rest in peace.

Top Bottom