Left 4 Dead

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Re: Left 4 Dead!!

Walter said:
Wow that's a really bogus tactic. Shame on the guys who use such a thing... Can't the survivors just shoot the object covering the sewer grate from the base of the ladder though? I know the M16 for one can really move objects easily with just a few shots.

Nope, we even tried Molotov's but no dice. I mean don't get me wrong, I can see why they think it be funny and all... but laugh for a few minutes, move it out and continue you follow? Anywho, at least you know what to do now if anyone within the game pisses you off :void:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44524/Left-4-Dead-DLC-and-SDK-Detailed

new content coming in spring. Most interesting for some people will be:
the first Left 4 Dead release for the Source Software Development Kit (Source SDK) will allow the creation of custom Left 4 Dead campaigns that will be discoverable via L4D's matchmaking system. The SDK update is also due for release this spring, and is free of charge to all owners of L4D on the PC.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Finally picked this game up from steam, at 50% off over the weekend! :guts: Beat No Mercy on time then tried a versus match... which ended up me playing the game for a good 5 hours!

Wasn't very good at first and I knew I was holding the team that I was on back at first but I slowly started to get there.

At the end of my playing time settled with a Japanese group and we just dominated the other side through out the whole thing. There was one match where we spawned as 3 hunters and a smoker. We killed the other team within the first 30 seconds of the match. Hahhaha :rakshas:

Great game!

SaiyajinNoOuji

I just demand more levels other then Blood Harvest and No Mercy for versus mode. Shit when they release the tools for player created maps I bet it wont even take a week before a remade level of Resident Evil to come out..... or better yet... ZOMBIES...... IN...... SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE! :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

NightCrawler said:
The hype machine wins again.
No, it's still a great game at its core, it's just that we're all sick of the same two fucking campaigns over and over again since November in Versus mode.

I hear you there, I've learned, you GOT to make yourself make this game hard. A lot of plays "avoid" sticky situations. I think everyone should try to get into tight situations. I've played some many games now where, everyone hides on "rocks" or hides "in/under stairways" like they know the "secrets" to this game. I say try something entirely new each time around, especially on the finales. Its just something different, for a game that has repetitive campaigns with repetitive players that are trying to be way to efficient.

Co-op is a different story, its more of a mess, and unprodictable. Really its where this game shines, but its also where it can be at its worst. Sometimes being way too one sided.

IMO, core gameplay has major problems, which is why we will see the same degenerate melee spam tactics being used on every map released ever. Although custom maps will probably feature fewer indoor areas where survivors can closet camp than the stock campaigns, that's just working around an existing problem.

And is this DLC ever going to get released? Seriously, sick of NM & BH. I get pissed every time I think about Valve playing up how they are so amazing for giving us stuff that should have been in the game at release.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Two news bits today, first and foremost, there was a patch today that did this: "Introduced fatigue to the melee attack in versus mode. You will see a HUD display when your melee swing is cooling down" Say goodbye to melee spamming whores.

Also: 360s will get the DLC on April 21: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57778

Still no precise news on the PC DLC's release. But I've read it will be BEFORE April 21.

I should probably play it more, but as with most of the members here that have posted, the 2 versus campaigns get REAAAALLLY predictable after you've played them over several days, and of course, MONTHS. I stopped playing around December, but before that I was playing nearly every day.

Also, Hoc, I'm sure it's a result of me being uninformed after being away from the L4D community for so long but... how are you playing custom maps? There are already custom maps on servers? I thought Steam hasn't released the map creator?

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
Two news bits today, first and foremost, there was a patch today that did this: "Introduced fatigue to the melee attack in versus mode. You will see a HUD display when your melee swing is cooling down" Say goodbye to melee spamming whores.

Also: 360s will get the DLC on April 21: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57778

Still no precise news on the PC DLC's release. But I've read it will be BEFORE April 21.

I should probably play it more, but as with most of the members here that have posted, the 2 versus campaigns get REAAAALLLY predictable after you've played them over several days, and of course, MONTHS. I stopped playing around December, but before that I was playing nearly every day.

Also, Hoc, I'm sure it's a result of me being uninformed after being away from the L4D community for so long but... how are you playing custom maps? There are already custom maps on servers? I thought Steam hasn't released the map creator?
Not sure if this ties into your last question there Walter but this is from SA...

Want to play Dead Air or Death Toll VS with others? Get String table differs when connecting?
There are a few ConVars the server admin can set to allow 'versus' on the campaign maps, but this is buggy, and if people leave, the server still believes 4 is the max player limit and refuses to let anyone else join. There's a simple way around this.
1. Download http://l4d.wtfdie.com/maps.bat to your /left 4 dead/left4dead/maps/ folder.
2. Run this, which copies all map files to add "_vs" in the name. Note these are not "balanced" per se but extremely fun with a good group of people.

To change to one of these on a server that has these as well, open console (~ key) and type:
callvote changemission <missionname>
Mission names are: hospital_vs, airport_vs, smalltown_vs,farm_vs

Russian Rainbow

The Prettiest Girl A Boy Can Be

Walter said:

I'm relatively new into L4D, but a buddy of mine just sent me a link where I could DL some custom created maps that you can then play with anyone else who has said Dl'd maps, most of them are quite fun.

One's a whole campaign set inside a prison you're trying to escape from, then one's the Cottage Of Doom that's a small house that gets attacked on all sides however you can rebuild doors and barricade windows, I think it's just like a survival one though because I haven't beaten it, then someone is making a RE inspired campaign set in Raccoon City but that one's not done yet.

Not sure how people have made them though.

I'm not sure I'm digging this new patch.

I understand why they did what they did to melee (and I completely understand and advocated for some way to stop Survivors from becoming unstoppable melee machines), but I'm not sure I like it. Will need to play some more games to get a good impression.

A lot of the rest of the game "feels" buggier to me, but then that could just be that the 4 games I played the other day were all with pings of 200+ (not sure why I can't just get a freaking server browser...).

SaiyajinNoOuji

So yea... any of you good Hunter players can tell me how to do the jump from wall to wall thing? I thought it was as simple as to target a wall and just jump from that crouching position from there to where ever.

Jarome

The Destroyer Of Worlds

Denial said:
I understand why they did what they did to melee (and I completely understand and advocated for some way to stop Survivors from becoming unstoppable melee machines), but I'm not sure I like it. Will need to play some more games to get a good impression.
The new patch is amazing I mean at LAST, survivors aren't that OP anymore...

Back then any kick-ass team of survivors would stricly rape everyone and keep on killing newcomers + ragequitters until the versus' campaign is over. They didn't added the melee-stamina thing to the normal campaigns because expert is totally impossible without infinite melee.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
So yea... any of you good Hunter players can tell me how to do the jump from wall to wall thing? I thought it was as simple as to target a wall and just jump from that crouching position from there to where ever.
You need to do it Prince of Persia style, leap from one side to another, try it out on the multiple silos that you can find in the Blood Harvest campaign. You'll I'm used to do 20+ dmg leaps but sometimes it's better out doin' a diversion than aiming for the "crazy" jump. You might just miss it, leaving you dead within seconds after doin' poor dmg in the best case.

I've been playin' L4D a lot since the new patch and since... RE5 FUCKED MY PS3's BLUERAY!!!! DIE CAPCOM ROAR!!!! :chomp:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
New patch coming out next week! Has the Survivor mode in it!
It's gotten a date: Tuesday, April 21.
The free Survival Pack adds the new Survival game mode, where players are given time to dig in before fending off unceasing zombie hordes in an attempt to survive as long as possible. Survival Mode is played on 12 new maps--11 being sections of existing levels and 1 created especially for Survival Mode, Lighthouse.

The Survival Pack also brings Versus mode to the final two co-op campaigns, Dead Air and Death Toll. This release coincides with the release of Left 4 Dead: Critics Choice Edition, which contains the original game plus the Survival Pack.

The Survival Pack will be free for all Left 4 Dead players.
Me and my L4D crew have been playing the last few nights to brush off the rust before the DLC. We'd all been on hiatus for about 4 months. But after a few awkward minutes, we were back to dominating most servers. These newbs can't handle us grandpas!  :badbone:

SaiyajinNoOuji

Was playing last night with a random pick up group and we were doing really good at first then all of a sudden it got stupid and welp. :judo:

Played through Vs. in Death Toll tonight... To be honest, I'm kind of depressed about it. A number of locations that either Survivors or Infected used to be able to get to are now blocked off. On the other hand, there's also a lot of locations that they obviously went overboard on making accessible (ex. the tower in the train yard of Death Toll). In a number of circumstances, there's a substantial loss of character to areas that were modified.

Feels really bitter to say this after waiting 6 months for these levels to become playable without special commands, but I am now wishing they had just left them alone.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You've had the ability to play Death Toll and Dead Air in versus for several months now. I've been doing it for the past week. It's a little buggy, sure, but it's at least more refreshing than another plunge through No Mercy.

I've tried out the Suvival mode for a few hours tonight. It's fun, especially if you're with a competent group (that's really a necessity...), but I don't see it holding most players' interests for the long haul.

We need more campaigns to extend the life of this undead game. :daiba:

Top Bottom