Lith's colors & tutorials

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Lithrael said:
:guts:  hello ladies and gentlemen!

Today I am celebrating the American tradition of thanksgiving, and in that spirit of plenty, here are some Casca boobs for you.

Ah the things we are thankful for. :carcus:

Lithrael said:
And also some more of Irvine and Sonja's scene:

A continuation of one of your best (IMO) colorings ever!  Looks great! :serpico:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
aww, Seems I have come too late. It would seem that Lith's webpage has expired or was cancled; when I try to view any of the pages they bring me to one of those advertisment/placeholder pages :(

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
aww, Seems I have come too late. It would seem that Lith's webpage has expired or was cancled

Don't worry, it's just temporary. Her registrar fucked up with the domain name, hopefully it'll be back up soon.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
ah excelent. Thanks for the info. Judging by all the positive feedback in this topic, these must be some really awesome colorings. Can't wait to see them :SK:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IsolatioN said:
ah excelent. Thanks for the info. Judging by all the positive feedback in this topic, these must be some really awesome colorings. Can't wait to see them :SK:

They are amazing and will certainly be worth the wait. :serpico:

Lithrael said:
:guts:  hello ladies and gentlemen!

Today I am celebrating the American tradition of thanksgiving, and in that spirit of plenty, here are some Casca boobs for you.

http://www.lithrael.com/ig/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=10

And also some more of Irvine and Sonja's scene:

http://www.lithrael.com/ig/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=16

Sayyyyyy....  Any of you fine young men with microphones out there fancy recording Irvine's dialog?  I feel like trying to make an animatic of the fireside chat, gya ha ha... 
yes they are nicely drawn but you should try to get the hole page being in one gamma because
in that way the colors will be too different one from another see this picture
http://stukata.pochta.ru/260.jpg not that this coloring is the best way to do, but when the hole composition is in one gamma it looks much better and wont get u comfused.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Stukata said:
yes they are nicely drawn but you should try to get the hole page being in one gamma because
in that way the colors will be too different one from another see this picture
http://stukata.pochta.ru/260.jpg not that this coloring is the best way to do, but when the hole composition is in one gamma it looks much better and wont get u comfused.

Well, Miura did the drawing, technically.

I kind of touched on this in IsolatioN's thread. When you're talking about composing a Whole page, yes, its important that the eye follow the intended path of the story. I don't believe "gamma" is the right word choice, considering what you showed as an example. You could probably say to use a limited color palette, instead. But that aside, from the two pics that you're quoting, I'd say Lith did a good job of doing that. Both pages don't deviate too much from a set color palette (Irvine and Sonja's scene in particular). Not everything needs to be tinted to make it uniform.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Well, Miura did the drawing, technically.

Yeah, not surprising it's good, eh? :void:

CnC said:
I don't believe "gamma" is the right word choice, considering what you showed as an example. You could probably say to use a limited color palette, instead.

As a matter of fact, the picture Stukata posted as an example (here, modified version of Lith's work) isn't faithfully colored. The scene takes place in a foggy, almost unlit room, not in a furnace. I just felt like pointing this out, aside from technical considerations. Here's Lith's unaltered coloration of that page for comparison.

what i am trying to tell you is that the colors are too raw for this picture.You cant just put some colors like its some coloring kids book,i typed this to show you that you must put the picture into an atmosphere,not just some randomly chozen colors.For every drawing it is a law you must know that for creating a colored drawing that every color you put it must have from the other one.This is the
way for a picture to be made.What i am telling to you its not something i have discovered for myself,
you can find it in books or ask an artist.If the colors are too diferent and raw one from another then
there is no reason for doing this at all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Stukata said:
You cant just put some colors like its some coloring kids book,i typed this to show you that you must put the picture into an atmosphere,not just some randomly chozen colors.

If you want to be credible, using correct colors to represent things would be a good start. In this case, fog isn't red and orange. That is a rule. I'll leave the technical explanation to CnC, he has to earn his pay after all. :void:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Firstly, your English is (for lack of a better word) a little raw. I'll try to be concise here.

Stukata said:
what i am trying to tell you is that the colors are too raw for this picture.You cant just put some colors like its some coloring kids book,i typed this to show you that you must put the picture into an atmosphere,not just some randomly chozen colors.

Well, they're obviously not chosen randomly.
By raw I'm assuming you mean a direct interpretation of how the surface would look in daylight, with no consideration for atmosphere, time of day, color temperature, etc.

This is not the case in these colors.

Like I said earlier in this thread and in another thread, consideration for the composition of the comic book (multiple panels) must be given a priority, but not at the expense of accurate representation of the drawing.
Your red tinting of the entire page, while uniforming the colors, is being done at the expense of accurate representation of the events in the story. Its a tricky thing to balance: page uniformity, accurate (good) colors, story telling.

Stukata said:
For every drawing it is a law you must know that for creating a colored drawing that every color you put it must have from the other one.This is the
way for a picture to be made.

What the...?
I can only assume you're speaking of a chosen color palette or color relationships. Yes, its important for these to exist in a composition. But it is by no means "Law", just theory. Hence, "Color Theory".

Stukata said:
If the colors are too diferent and raw one from another then
there is no reason for doing this at all.

There are reasons to vary your colors, but adhering to a palette helps uniform the piece. Theres a really good reason to make colors differ from the others. They are focal points. The eye is drawn to that contrast. People use that all the time, for very good reason.

Aazealh said:
I'll leave the technical explanation to CnC, he has to earn his pay after all. :void:

milton.gif

Mr. Lumbergh told me to talk to payroll and payroll told me to talk to Mr. Lumbergh and I still have not received my paycheck and they moved my desk to storage room B and there was garbage on it.

There is no reason for us to continue this conversation ,yes?there are 2 reasons why i can,t explain
this to you.First is that none of you has the graduation of an artist and second i'm not so good with the english which i apologize for that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Stukata said:
First is that none of you has the graduation of an artist

You're very presumptuous for someone that just repeats what he read in books other people wrote. The fact is you're wrong and your vision in this case is excessively narrow. Look at this picture, it's by Wojtek Siudmak, a world famous painter. Contrasting colors work well together. You could be talking about something completely different though, it's hard to tell honestly.

Now maybe you could show us some of your own work, Mr. Artist?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Stukata said:
First is that none of you has the graduation of an artist

Actually, I do. Sorry.

Stukata said:
and second i'm not so good with the english which i apologize for that.

Can't help you there, Sally. Its one of those roadblocks you hit when you sign up for an english speaking board...

Aazealh said:
You're very presumptuous for someone that just repeats what he read in books other people wrote. The fact is you're wrong and your vision in this case is excessively narrow. Look at this picture, it's by Wojtek Siudmak, a world famous painter. Contrasting colors work well together. You could be talking about something completely different though, it's hard to tell honestly.

Now maybe you could show us some of your own work, Mr. Artist?
nope,lets just forget about this ok?"im not telling what i have read in the books because i never do
that.As an artist i know that.My teachers have told me that;proffersors from the academy;professional artist
and many more.And if you think that this picture consist any valuable art ican only feel sorry you

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Stukata said:
As an artist i know that.My teachers have told me that;proffersors from the academy;professional artist
and many more.

Yeah right, I'm still waiting for you to post examples of your "art". Or to reply to what CnC said. Great avatar by the way, is that masterpiece from you?

Stukata said:
And if you think that this picture consist any valuable art ican only feel sorry you

Well I think I'm the one feeling sorry for you, the guy that thinks he knows the "laws" of coloring and ignores the meaning of "gamma". But like you said, let's leave it at that.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey proj, before we jump the gun and start assigning credit. Stukaka's is Liths with a color overlay (slightly edited).

Secondly, Stukaka, any teacher that tells you that art has laws is a hack, I'm sorry. Its sometimes abused for its lack of laws. The art of color is theoretical. period. Sorry, but thats the end of that debate.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
You guys are all WRONG WRONG WRONG; your gamma's out of whack, and your work looks like it's on crack. You need to up the contrast flange and lower the procast dampeners because your horizontal pallete design is lacking consise shader-light-source variation numericals. Pathetic. If you think this art has value, I pity you and you sad empty lives, but I bring hope, even to your most hopeless kinds.

Learn from the MASTER!:

grunganawesome.jpg

Here is the one who gave me my graduated skills of an artist that I use for critiquing fan-colored manga pages: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Top Bottom