Lith's colors & tutorials

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
That's not exactly what he means. Most published black and white manga itself is composed for and meant to be in black and white. Any art Miura intends to be in color will have different techniques, rules of composition etc, from all the way back in the sketch phase that work intended to be in black and white. Coloring any black & white manga by a good artist who did not intend to leave some of the visual work to a colorist, is more for fun and to see what you can do than ever an improvement on it.

For a counter-example, you can really do great stuff with black and white Mœbius art because most of it was composed with the idea in mind of maybe going back and doing watercolors later.

This exactly, couldn't have said it better myself!

A new color from you?

oya.gif

I love the Skellig color you did, Lithrael! :ubik: Your attention to detail is great, lighting, shading and all. One of the things I appreciate about your coloring is that you seem to keep color choices for clothes, accessories and such true to what I've seen in the color illustrations that Miura has done of the characters. I think that's really neat! :guts:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Lithrael said:
One million years later

They have arrived at Skellig

tumblr_o3619yOlOw1sr2kmoo1_1280.jpg

Full huge res here: http://lithrael.com/ig/albums/userpics/10001/skellig_per.jpg

Aaahhh, this is nice. Really like the colours!

I feel like I've seen Azan at that angle before, though.... :azan:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Sweet coloring! it looks like an official one. i love the bloomish effect (not sure if thats the correct terminology).

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Yoo guys I have been deep in the grasp of like not doing very many stuff but in the background I've been working on one of the two page spreads forever. I'm getting close to done so here's a preview.

2j4euex.jpg

Hopefully I'll be back soon with the whole shebang.

-Lith

Lithrael said:
Yoo guys I have been deep in the grasp of like not doing very many stuff but in the background I've been working on one of the two page spreads forever. I'm getting close to done so here's a preview.

2j4euex.jpg

-Lith

That's just beautiful :judo:
And also, was this particular coloring done digitally or done by hand?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:

2j4euex.jpg

-Lith

Wow! That is an ambitious recolor. Looks fantastic and can't wait to see the rest!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great Lith, looking forward to the completed piece!

Johnny Apples said:
And also, was this particular coloring done digitally or done by hand?

Uhh, I'm pretty sure Lithrael didn't bust out her crayons for this. :schierke:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Great work Lith, as usual! The rich green color of the forest floor has just the right amount of yellow, and Serpico's cloak stands out nicely as a result, and yet without clashing. Impressive!

Lithrael

Thank you Grail! Cheers Walter.
Yeah this is done in Photoshop (without any good brushes, which I have to learn to use, lol).

OK!! Here it is. GIANT SIZE.

http://www.lithrael.com/ig/albums/userpics/10001/ForestFINALFLAT.jpg

normal_ForestFINALFLAT.jpg

-Lith

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fuckin love it! I just keep zooming in, admiring every little detail. Could you discuss some of the color decisions you made for these creatures? Also, you spent a lot of time poring over each little creature. Do you have a favorite now?

Lithrael

Thanks! It took me forever yeah I kept changing my mind about stuff, and I was only working on it while I was playing D&D. The big looming guys with hats are my faves I think. My color sense is still really pretty weak, I started out with everything kinda candy color and just kept remixing it until it didn't hurt my eyes, and then tried to get the Team a little more saturated than the rest. Then overall color washes/adjustments to make it hang together properly.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Lithrael said:
My color sense is still really pretty weak, I started out with everything kinda candy color and just kept remixing it until it didn't hurt my eyes, and then tried to get the Team a little more saturated than the rest. Then overall color washes/adjustments to make it hang together properly.

:ganishka: It's good to know that our methods of coloring aren't so different!

Lithrael said:
Thanks! It took me forever yeah I kept changing my mind about stuff, and I was only working on it while I was playing D&D. The big looming guys with hats are my faves I think.

One of many things I do love about this color is how you can better make out all of the creatures drawn for this single spread. It's a little overwhelming (in a good way) in black and white, but seeing it all in color is just great. I have the feeling that a lot of people, including myself, might be changing their wallpapers!

Zurth

ベルセルク
This is just disgustingly beautiful!! :isidro:

To be completely honest I've been using this as a wallpaper ever since it was first posted on the Berserk subreddit, so allow me to throw some praises to you here as well Lithrael! For the lavishly painted art spread of course, but mostly for getting me to stow away the bleak and gloomy Bloodborne picture I've been using for the last few months. :ganishka:

Top Bottom