Lith's colors & tutorials

Having seen Lith's work... I'm not gonna lie, I was inspired big time. I have Photoshop and have been going insane coloring... I've completed a few pages from random parts of the manga... Now I would like everyone's opinion on what I've done so far... But... I don't now know how to post my work anywhere... I usually see people do it with links and what not... But in that respect I'm a bo bo... So I'm a humble artist seeking the opinion of my fellow berserk lovers... Please help dudes!!! ???

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
If you don't have your own webspace, you can use a free image hosting service.  Something like www.photobucket.com, which is what I use.  After you upload your pictures to your album it's pretty simple to plop your images into your posts here at SK.net.

TheSkyTraveller

I've stickied this thread since so many people are interested in coloring and Lith's tutorials are so helpful.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Lithrael said:
I really ought to just bite the bullet and go read some color theory stuff - if they taught me any at school I forgot it.

I know I'm a bit of a noob on this forum (first post!) but I know a little bit about color theory. Here's the basics:
The color wheel. You can find these anywhere. Just make sure that thet correspond to the paint spectrum rather than the light spectrum (most computers use the light spectrum). The color wheel is the basis for all color theory. How you use it:

-First of all, the types of colors (this you probably know). The three colors red, yellow, and blue are the primary colors of the paint spectrum. With these, you can mix any other colors. Mix them all together and you get brown. When you only mix two, you get the secondary colors green, orange, and purple. Mix a secondary and a primary and you get the tertiary, or intermediate, colors.

-colors that are across from each other (i.e., red and green, purple and yellow, etc.) will often make each other stand out much more. Say, for instance, that you're painting a goblin (not relating to anything in Berserk). You decide to give the goblin green skin. By painting his eyes red, the color directly opposite green, and by using greenish or colors with low saturation, the red eyes will stand out a lot. These are called complememntary colors. Don't overdo it though, a picture that's about half pure green and half pure red will look like it stepped out of christmas.

-This rule can also be used by applying colors which form a triangle on the color wheel, such as all the primary or all the secondary. Aparently this works for colors that form a square too, but that stuff's really advanced.

-Colors that are next to each other on the color wheel are called...something else that I can't remember. Using this can work quite well if done correctly. For example, Proj2501 used pretty much only red, orange, and purple in the pic he posted here. The emphasis on the red helps depict the agression. This technique is usually used to invoke a particular mood.

-Another thing to note:there are basically two categories of colors: warm and cold. Warm colors are reds, yellows, and oranges while cool colors are blues, purples, and greens. This is again is mostly used to invoke an emotion. You wouldn't want to use blue to depict a scene of a warm and loving family.

-Basic Jargon: Hue reffers to a color. Saturation refers to how much black or white (which are considdered tints and shades, not colors) is mixed into the color. Lithrael, for instance, uses mostly colors with a low saturation, which gives the pictures a very fairy-tale-esque look, in this case a very good thing. Try not to vary the saturation too much though, or the picture won't look very uniform. Acromatic reffers to a composition without color (i.e., the black and white illustrations straight out of the comic) and dichromatic reffers a two color composition.

That's about it, hope I didn't write too much. And complements to your work, you're an awsome artist (I'm know a bit of theory, but my work can't compare.).

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Great essay, Vax! Thanks! And thanks for the compliments, everyone!

I still have a few partial colors of Jon's that I will finish and post eventually. Don't worry, I won't forget.

Heh, it's funny, the page of Schierke saving Guts, I tried to re-do it over one of thehawks' scans and it came out like crap. They lost all the subtle halftoning, and it just doesn't work without it.

Now.. two pages in a ROW from Lith. I'm working on page 3 also, but correcting for Casca's halftone is quite a pain in the butt.

Here they be. Nekkid-ass Schierke ahoy.

I'm working on a page from the ball also but it, too, is a big fat pain in the butt. Look for it in.. eh.. a while.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
I'm working on a page from the ball also but it, too, is a big fat pain in the butt.  Look for it in..  eh..  a while.

Cool stuff Lith, can't wait to see the rest. :)

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Beautiful Work Lithrael, I will look forward to seeing the Ball scene being colored. Do you have any other half-colors almost finished? :D

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Wow, to color a manga.. Probably a lot. I'd be willing to work for maybe $250 a week, and I can do maybe three pages in a day if I really hammer it. I haven't really tried to see how much I can finish full-time though.

Here's a nice treat for today. A project is semi-afoot with Proj! Here's a sneak preview...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
While I disagree with the color choices (just cause I'm a fan of a dark, bleak, Berserk night; that looks almost too beautiful and colorful to nice =), nobody can deny that the look your style is very compelling. The smoke especially has been brought to life.

Lithrael said:
Here's a nice treat for today.  A project is semi-afoot with Proj!  Here's a sneak preview...

http://www.lithrael.com/berserk/v16_p64_wip.jpg
wow great work Lithrael. i have no clue if you have been asked this question in the forum. i searched a little, but found nothing. so i wanted to know what do you use to color?

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Wow, that looks great. The only part I don't like is the smake at the bottom, which looks too light to be covering a blazing inferno. I'd darken the glow from the fire and the smoke itself. Of course, this is all just my opinion.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nice job (again) Lith! :)

DarthVenom said:
i have no clue if you have been asked this question in the forum. i searched a little, but found nothing. so i wanted to know what do you use to color?

Look at the first post of the thread, there's a link to a tutorial she made that explains how to color with... Adobe Photoshop. ;) And that was because a lot of people were asking her how she colored, with what, etc.

Aazealh said:
Look at the first post of the thread, there's a link to a tutorial she made that explains how to color with... Adobe Photoshop. ;) And that was because a lot of people were asking her how she colored, with what, etc.
sorry about that Aazealh and thanks for the info 8)

TheSkyTraveller

Damn, I don't know how I missed this before, but it looks awesome! I love the subtle gradation of the blues in the sky down to the orange glow.

Top Bottom