Love and Hate

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry
Casca
The only female member of the Band of Hawks. Casca is a strong-willed leader, driven to suceed for her saviour, Griffith. Initially, she despises Guts because of the effect he has on Griffith, but soon she realizes that she mistook love for hatred. However, her time with Guts is brief and tragic.

"... mistook love for hatred."

Interesting stretch.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Headless Death said:
What is this a quote from? :-\

Thats what I was thinking. Its not from volume 27, when they have those 2 pages of introducing the major charecters. Maybe its the dreamcast game?

DemonX said:
Thats what I was thinking. Its not from volume 27, when they have those 2 pages of introducing the major charecters. Maybe its the dreamcast game?

It's on this site
Here is a link:
http://skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/arc2/index.html

typhonblue

Yep, that's it.

But the reason why I posted it is because it seems the most baseless theory of the Casca-Griffith-Guts dynamic I've come across.

i dont think she mistook love for hatred,

some people are like that,

they love someone but they dont wanna show it, so they are really fiesty,

and the fiestier, the more they love,

i like fiesty women myself  ;D,

obviously guts does too, but because the situations they were in, they couldnt just say "i love you dumplin, please rub my head  :)",

so i guess its kinda a non-thought through theory,

but i digress  8)

- c

ps. any fiesty women out there?  :-*

10-4 said:
"i love you dumplin, please rub my head  :)",

Dude, sometimes you are so weird. That made me laugh for quite a bit of time though.

Caska to Guts = Jealousy-->Hate-->gratitude-->friendship-->secret desire-->anger-->understanding--> love???

I dont think Caska saw Guts and suddenly was in love, and hid it. I think she truly disliked Guts at first and then grew to care for him.

typhonblue

My interpretation is that she mistook Griffith's hatred for Guts for love.

I hadn't considered the other interpretation.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
QUeeN typhonblue said:
My interpretation is that she mistook Griffith's hatred for Guts for love.

I hadn't considered the other interpretation.
This sort of thing should be posted in the FAQ/Encyclopedia section, not in Character Cove.

Keep in mind the Encyclopedia is still a work in progress, so user opinions are still very vital to its development. Now that I read it like this, the Casca entry indeed contains a typo (a year after I wrote it...).

original: Initially, she despises Guts because of the effect he has on Griffith, but soon she realizes that she mistook love for hatred.

revised: Initially, she despises Guts because of the effect he has on Griffith, but soon she realizes that she mistook her hatred for love.

If you still disagree, as I think you will, please elaborate on your interpretation of the character dynamic. But be wary that with the Encyclopedia entries, I am attempting to condense a character's history within a sentence or so... Of course the full depth of character will not be realized through this method.

hello ladies and gentlemen  ;D,

i would like to speak my interpretation of the love and hate of guts and caska, so bear with me  :D,

i do not think that she "mistook love for hatred" or "hatred for love",

instead its a little more complicated then that, i will elaborate then try to condense it into a sentence or two you might be able to use in the encyclopedia  :D,

from the start, when caska first met guts, he almost killed her, he fought with griffith, lost, then they fought again, griffith won once more and not only spared his life, but asked him to join the band of thew hawks,

now at this point in time, caska really did hate guts, for the next while they didnt talk much and she gave him the evil eye  >:( and such,

after a while, she started to learn a little about him and figured out he wasnt such a bad guy,

it took her a long time to see why griffith had such an interest in this man and treated him so much different, with even a higher trust and respect shown to anyone else in the band of the hawk, even herself,

but, by the time she figured this out, it was a tad too late, she wouldnt swallow her pride,

so what did she do? she did what alot of people do in this situation, act fiesty and pretend to hate him, although some people saw through it, judo for example,

guts never saw this until after griffith was captured and guts and caska were on the waterfall, she was acting super fiesty cause she was tired, she broke when guts let her stab him, guts could have easily chopped her head off,

she cried and showed guts her true feelins  ;) (wink, wink)

so as you see, there was no mistaking, just not understanding, then trying to hide her true feelings, which when people, myself included do that, it usually blows up in your face, Berserk is a good example,

i hope that has helped to clear it up a tad,

im sure i left something out :-X,

if anyone wants to add to it or has a different idea please be welcome to discuss  :),

and as for the short summary:

original -

Initially, caska despises guts for the effect he had on griffith and the respect only he recieved. But eventually, possibly too late, she saw through the rough man guts to see someone she really loved.

thats the original, feel free to edit to make it better, not worse,

hopefully this one wont disappear  ;)

- c

Top Bottom