Mass Effect 2

Oburi

All praise Grail
O wow thanks guy! I had no idea that kneeling made aiming that much easier, makes sense though :serpico: Thanks for the tips!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mass Effect Galaxy, the iPhone game that is a side story featuring a character from Mass Effect 2 came out today, and apparently it's pretty bad. IGN gave it a 5/10. Hopefully some kind soul will put the relevant parts of the game on YouTube so that we can see what there is to see without wasting our time and money.

On another note, there will be news concerning the second Mass Effect DLC this friday. I'm excited. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Sweet! Can't wait!

The next title in the series, tentatively titled "Mass Effect 2", plans to use much of the same game mechanics as the first title in the series. Not much is known yet about "Mass Effect 2" – Casey Hudson, Project Director for BioWare, has said that players should keep their "Mass Effect" save-files, because decisions made by the player in the first game will continue to have influences on their character in the sequel. Players who have not played the first "Mass Effect" will start a new character in "Mass Effect 2", and will be brought up to speed on the story elements that have taken place thus far in the series. ["Game Informer Magazine", March 2008, After Words: "Mass Effect", p.24]

Fuxberg, looks like you were correct!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Fuxberg, looks like you were correct!

"New character" here doesn't refer to an actual different character that wouldn't be Shepard...

Ah and the DLC info was not released, for info. Annoying. :puck:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
"New character" here doesn't refer to an actual different character that wouldn't be Shepard...

Ah and the DLC info was not released, for info. Annoying. :puck:

O yea thats true :serpico:

Btw how many hours is Mass Effect? I'm 20 hours in and it seems like the story is getting pretty serious, more serious than I though considering I spent most of the time doing side quests and exploring. Also I completely agree with the music.
After Kaidan or Ashley is killed ( I chose Kaiden) and your on the ship they have this sad piano song playing that sets the mood so perfectly, I almost cried. Shorty after I was forced to choose between the two females on the ship who were interested in me and it was just so realistic and amazing.
I haven't been so addicted to a video game in a long time, I wish I had more time in the day to play it!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Btw how many hours is Mass Effect? I'm 20 hours in and it seems like the story is getting pretty serious, more serious than I though considering I spent most of the time doing side quests and exploring.

It's a short game, for a RPG. From what you're saying, I believe you're approximatively 2/3 done.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
It's a short game, for a RPG. From what you're saying, I believe you're approximatively 2/3 done.

Wow that sucks. It's so fucking short!!! Luckily the replay value is high :guts: Still though, a game with this much content should be longer, much longer, hopefully the sequel will improve on that. Do you have this game for the console or pc Aaz? I would like to get all the achievements for this if I can.

Oburi said:
Wow that sucks. It's so fucking short!!! Luckily the replay value is high :guts: Still though, a game with this much content should be longer, much longer, hopefully the sequel will improve on that. Do you have this game for the console or pc Aaz? I would like to get all the achievements for this if I can.

When I played it last summer i beat it to 100%, and I gotta admit, I didn't play another game since because I put so much time in it. easily 60 hours... easily D:

Most of that was pretty boring though, since the sidequests were virtually identical.

My xbox360 will collect dust till mass effect 2 comes out :sad:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Do you have this game for the console or pc Aaz? I would like to get all the achievements for this if I can.

I have the Xbox 360 version. Be warned: getting all the achievements takes time and dedication.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://kotaku.com/5303247/there-will-be-no-new-game-plus-in-mass-effect-2

Headline says it all. No spoilers this time. Promise.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Did anyone play the downloadable expansion? I forget the name but is it worth paying for?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
http://kotaku.com/5303247/there-will-be-no-new-game-plus-in-mass-effect-2

Headline says it all. No spoilers this time. Promise.

Well, I don't mind this at all honestly. I usually do prefer the ability to keep playing after finishing the game anyway.

Oburi said:
Did anyone play the downloadable expansion? I forget the name but is it worth paying for?

It's called Bring Down The Sky and it's basically a long side-mission. It's not amazing by any means but if you love the game then you probably should get it.

Aazealh said:

But with the side quests you can extend your game play to 50/60h. Although not very good the side quests have a side story (Admiral Kohaku's men and Shepard's investigation on that matter).

Oburi

All praise Grail
fuxberg said:
But with the side quests you can extend your game play to 50/60h. Although not very good the side quests have a side story (Admiral Kohaku's men and Shepard's investigation on that matter).

Yea i'm goin to do every quest possible to make the game last, but honestly some of the side quests are lame, or just pointless waste of time. Some on the other hand really add to the whole experience. There is one about some kind of cult that set up a base on some moon way out in space and they killed the first people the council sent in to investigate. Its up to you wether or not you want to go in guns-a-blazing or settle the matter peacefully. It reminded me of the real life Jim Jones cult thing, which I'm sure was the inspiration for that mission.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
But with the side quests you can extend your game play to 50/60h.

60 hours? I did everything in the game (and I mean everything, even collecting minerals and whatnot) in under 40 hours. And I don't think I rushed it either. Don't mistake me, I really love Mass Effect, but for a RPG it is rather short.

By the way, some talk about the "Insanity" difficulty setting in Mass Effect 2: http://kotaku.com/5303353/mass-effect-insanity-explained-may-not-be-locked-in-me2

Interesting for the completionists or for those who like pain. :guts:

Aazealh said:
60 hours? I did everything in the game (and I mean everything, even collecting minerals and whatnot) in under 40 hours. And I don't think I rushed it either. Don't mistake me, I really love Mass Effect, but for a RPG it is rather short.

Is the time from a previous playthrough added to the next when replaying ME with the same char?
If so there's the answer.

Oburi

All praise Grail
fuxberg said:
Is the time from a previous playthrough added to the next when replaying ME with the same char?
If so there's the answer.

so when you were telling me how long the game takes to get 100% you included the time it takes for a second playthrough? What about a third and fourth? If you choose a new game+ can you continue to get things you missed in your first playthrough? Can you even remodel your character if lets say I wanted to play as a female when I go back?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
If you choose a new game+ can you continue to get things you missed in your first playthrough?

In a new game+ you start from the beginning (on Eden Prime), but your level, your equipment and your money/omnigel is carried over. The points you put into your abilities remain as they were, however you have to do it again for your sidekicks. Whenever you recruit them they automatically jump to your level, but wear their default crappy equipment (meaning you have to find their old equipment in the inventory and re-equip them).

Oburi said:
Can you even remodel your character if lets say I wanted to play as a female when I go back?

Well no, not if you replay as the same character.

March of Flames

Love Is Vengeance.
I quit playing this game for about 8 months after being stuck on a certain boss at level 7. I started back into the game and left the area and have been doing nothing but side quests for about 15 hours and it's so much fun! I guess I'm just addicted to leveling up my abilities and getting better armor. I want to play until I get the Rage X armor for Wrex and Colossus X armor...looks amazing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
March of Flames said:
I quit playing this game for about 8 months after being stuck on a certain boss at level 7.

Level 7? Where was that?

March of Flames said:
I want to play until I get the Rage X armor for Wrex and Colossus X armor...looks amazing.

You might have some trouble with that because the game is capped to lvl 50 on your first play-through.

March of Flames

Love Is Vengeance.
Aazealh said:
Level 7? Where was that?

You might have some trouble with that because the game is capped to lvl 50 on your first play-through.

I only did a handful of assignments and went straight to Feros and couldn't even survive a full minute fighting Benezia. You're right I didn't even make it to 50 on my first play through but I did get to level 49. I'm at 56 right now and it's pretty hard to level up. I really liked the story and the game ending was awesome so now I'm excited about ME2.

The combat is so much better now that I'm a high level that I can't wait to fight in the new game. I would warp, lift, shoot, throw and there was so much chaos going since my abilities are so powerful. I've lifted and then tossed someone over a mountain the other day. Now I have to go play it!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
March of Flames said:
I only did a handful of assignments and went straight to Feros and couldn't even survive a full minute fighting Benezia.

Noveria you mean? Anyway, I'm surprised you managed to get to her without leveling past 7.

March of Flames said:
I'm at 56 right now and it's pretty hard to level up. I really liked the story and the game ending was awesome so now I'm excited about ME2.

Yeah the amount of XP needed grows exponentially past 50. Because of that the last 2 levels or so take a while to get.

March of Flames said:
The combat is so much better now that I'm a high level that I can't wait to fight in the new game. I would warp, lift, shoot, throw and there was so much chaos going since my abilities are so powerful. I've lifted and then tossed someone over a mountain the other day. Now I have to go play it!

Haha yeah, and that does double if you have Liara in your team. :guts:

Top Bottom